Film Longlegs | Nicholas Cage & Maika Monroe | RT: 100%

Hoof the ball

FBI Agent Lee Harker is assigned to an unsolved serial killer case that takes an unexpected turn, revealing evidence of the occult. Harker discovers a personal connection to the killer and must stop him before he strikes again.

Early reviews predicted that this would be the best film of its genre since Silence of the Lambs. Reviews now coming out and it's scoring perfect ratings.

Looks good, though they really should've shortened the trailer.

Have been waiting on this for the past month. Looks damn scary (I'm a sucker for serial killer stories) and it has Nicolas Cage! Reviews are also all extremely positive. @Dirty Schwein I think you might like this.
Mate it's been at the top of my wishlist for months. I genuinely cannot wait for this.

Hahaha yeah i figured it would be, with your love for horror and all that! What's the 0800 number about? Sorry, I am all the way in Cape Town.
Ahh it's a part of the marketing. In the UK, if we call that number we hear a creepy voicemail by Nic Cage.

Indie horror
A24
Cage

This movie was made for me :lol:

Ahh it's a part of the marketing. In the UK, if we call that number we hear a creepy voicemail by Nic Cage.

Indie horror
A24
Cage

This movie was made for me :lol:
:lol: oh damn! That would have been....something to listen to!

Yeah, exactly down your ally. Are you going to see it this weekend when it's released?

:lol: oh damn! That would have been....something to listen to!

Yeah, exactly down your ally. Are you going to see it this weekend when it's released?
It totally depends on the showings. Indie horror movies usually play limited showings at late night, which is tough for me as I have kids and my wife has been quite unwell.

But my workplace gets the movies as soon as they're off cinema and I prefer to watch at home (as the cinema can be hit and miss with the audience) so might have to wait a bit.

It totally depends on the showings. Indie horror movies usually play limited showings at late night, which is tough for me as I have kids and my wife has been quite unwell.

But my workplace gets the movies as soon as they're off cinema and I prefer to watch at home (as the cinema can be hit and miss with the audience) so might have to wait a bit.
Yeah, same this side. But the reasoning being a little different - I prefer watching horror flicks in the comfort of my own home before I piss myself in public :lol:

Yeah, same this side. But the reasoning being a little different - I prefer watching horror flicks in the comfort of my own home before I piss myself in public :lol:
:lol:

I'm sick and tired of going to cinema and have idiots talking through the film. Especially with horror, where you really need to get into the movie to be affected.

:lol:

I'm sick and tired of going to cinema and have idiots talking through the film. Especially with horror, where you really need to get into the movie to be affected.
Yeah, so many are completely selfish & inconsiderate to ruin the experience for others. And it's not like going to the movies are cheap these days, plus the added planning and time investment you put into it.

I'm still reading reviews and everything is basically scoring this one a 4.5-5/5. Very excited.

Yeah, so many are completely selfish & inconsiderate to ruin the experience for others. And it's not like going to the movies are cheap these days, plus the added planning and time investment you put into it.

I'm still reading reviews and everything is basically scoring this one a 4.5-5/5. Very excited.
I really hope it's not one that gets destroyed by it's own hype.

I've seen the directors other movies, they were quite hit and miss.

Super sorry to hear that mate, but maybe stop showing her the Cage filmography on repeat, Clockwork Orange style?

Nah more seriously, hope she gets well soon!

I really hope it's not one that gets destroyed by it's own hype.

I've seen the directors other movies, they were quite hit and miss.
Yeah I believe he's shown "promise" (the Director) and supposedly this is his masterpiece. But yeah, it's been marketed like crazy, so hoping it lives up to the hype.

On a side note, as RiP says, hope the missus gets well soon as well!

Super sorry to hear that mate, but maybe stop showing her the Cage filmography on repeat, Clockwork Orange style?

Nah more seriously, hope she gets well soon!
Haha thanks man. Blood test went well today and hopefully the scan goes well on Wednesday.

Yeah I believe he's shown "promise" (the Director) and supposedly this is his masterpiece. But yeah, it's been marketed like crazy, so hoping it lives up to the hype.

On a side note, as RiP says, hope the missus gets well soon as well!
Thank you.

The smooth brains at my local Vue have decided the earliest showings for this will be at 8pm on Saturday and Sunday...

Longlegs review – Nicolas Cage is a miscast killer in misfiring hokum.
Review.

But also :-

Empire
A chilling concoction, featuring a remarkable transformation of Nicolas Cage and a reminder of Maika Monroe’s star quality. Submit to its demonic darkness for a singular, sensory cinematic horror experience.

Telegraph
A skin-crawling chiller with the most terrifying performance of Nicolas Cage’s career

It's sitting at 91% on RT. A few rare low reviews aren't doing much to dissuade.

From that trailer, it looks a bit like one of those horror films that works quite well for a bit but then completely falls apart when you actually see the (inevitably ludicrous looking) monster/killer.

From that trailer, it looks a bit like one of those horror films that works quite well for a bit but then completely falls apart when you actually see the (inevitably ludicrous looking) monster/killer.

Nope. Its good throughout.

I'm looking forward to this. Will try and see it this week. Loved Maika Monroe in It Follows.

Longlegs
A rookie FBI agent tries to catch a serial killer who goes by the name; Longlegs. I've seen this director's past work and always felt that he had a good movie in him, just needed a few rough-around-the-edges films under his belt. This is by far the best thing he's made.

The film has an amazingly creepy atmosphere, created by a very subtle score/SFX as well as some fantastic cinematography. The camera tracks in a lot, making you feel like you're actually being drawn into the film. A lot of the framing is also interesting, making you search around the screen looking for what could be hidden in the corners (he actually did this well with Blackcoat's Daughter). Acting was also a plus. Everyone was good but Maika was next level, her dialogue, movement etc. it all added to the eerie-ness of the film.

I also really enjoyed the plot (overall) as well as the theme covered but this is also where the film let's itself down a bit. The film is a mystery film and a lot of what happens is very predictable. There were many times where things were revealed and I'm there thinking "hang about, this was meant to be new news?". The ending also bugged me. I am happy with ambiguous endings if there's enough clues in the film to come to a solid conclusion but here (from what I've also read online), it seems like it's just a cliff-hanger with no real ending in mind and it's upto the viewer to just come up with it. Not really a fan of those types of endings. Feels like a cop out.

Overall, it's a really good movie that is just shy of being great due to a few narrative issues. I would recommend though... It might be slow paced but the time flies by (it's only 90 minutes long) 7.5/10
My review in the film thread. TLDR: Very good but just short of great.

Nicolas Cage is one of those actors I just can't take seriously in anything. I'll give this a shot though.

Nicolas Cage is one of those actors I just can't take seriously in anything. I'll give this a shot though.
This is one of those performances that will make you laugh I reckon. I'm his biggest fan boy but I think he was miscast in this.

If you wanna see a good Cage performance, watch Pig.

I've sat on this film since watching and the more I think about it, the less I like it. I may drop my score to a 7/10.

A lot of missed opportunities upon reflection.

I agree regarding the cliffhanger at the end, they always piss me off in TV/Movies.
Yeah same, unless there's enough clues to piece together an understanding that makes sense but here, that's not the case.

Also, Perkins explained the ending (cardinal sin for me) and his explanation made me even more disappointed.

Yeah same, unless there's enough clues to piece together an understanding that makes sense but here, that's not the case.

Also, Perkins explained the ending (cardinal sin for me) and his explanation made me even more disappointed.
Got a link for that?

Got a link for that?
That was always the ending. The ending was meant to be tragic. The devil wins again on a small scale. One of the fun things about using the devil as your villain is that the devil never really goes for world domination. The devil always feels like, “I’ll just feck with this person, I’ll wreck this family, I’ll mess this kid up, I’ll torment this priest.” It’s never like, “I’m going to eat the Vatican.” It never gets to that point for me with the devil. The devil is a little more amusing and playful than that. The story of Lee Harker ends with the ending of the movie. The last shot that she fires is the worst thing that can happen to her.

That's what the director said.