Ligue 1 2024/25

SilentWitness

Has a Dutch member.
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think this could be an exciting league to follow next season.

De Zerbi has been highlighted as one of the next 'top' managers so it will be intriguing to see how he does with Marseille.

I am also interested to see how Rosenior does with Strasbourg. He's been fairly highly rated in England and did relatively well with Derby and Hull.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c4ng0yvr94do

No Mbappe too so does that leave the league slightly open?

I'm not watching the game but PSG have a fantastic midfield on paper with Neves, Vitinha and Zaire-Emery. When it comes to technique and keeping the ball, it'd be quite hard to find a better trio.

Currently 2 nil up against Montpellier.

Neves 4 assists in 2 games so far. Glad he left Benfica

Barcola really settling himself in that starter position. And Asencio as a good utility player to fill the forward trio.

Is this the first season PSG are building a real team rather than a superstar squad? Definitely less hype around them this year I feel.

Is this the first season PSG are building a real team rather than a superstar squad? Definitely less hype around them this year I feel.
I think the first QSI era team was pretty decent and they lived off that core for a long while.

And the current process started last year when they hired an actual Sport Director in Campos and shipped off Neymar & Messi ending the washed superstar era. Maybe a bit of happy timing as Luis Enrique seems in a strong position at the moment.

In itself they already signed up and coming talent (French and otherwise) but it's been much less clunky to transition them in team. There was maybe a little of a CR7 effect going on with Mbappé scoring a bajillion goals but being too much of a gravitational pull on pitch.

Still probably a bit shaky at the back, I don't think they reinforced a lot there ?

Apologies on the
I think the first QSI era team was pretty decent and they lived off that core for a long while.

And the current process started last year when they hired an actual Sport Director in Campos and shipped off Neymar & Messi ending the washed superstar era. Maybe a bit of happy timing as Luis Enrique seems in a strong position at the moment.

In itself they already signed up and coming talent (French and otherwise) but it's been much less clunky to transition them in team. There was maybe a little of a CR7 effect going on with Mbappé scoring a bajillion goals but being too much of a gravitational pull on pitch.

Still probably a bit shaky at the back, I don't think they reinforced a lot there ?
Apologies on the late reply, but yeah I’d agree with your assessment from my limited viewing of them.

They always seemed reliant on individual brilliance to win games, and not just in big ties. I think with any team that had the manager rotation that they had, similar to United, it’s always difficult to implement a consistent style of play.

When any team starts to rely on an individual I think your always asking for issues but maybe they are building on the young internationals, similar again to United and they’ve seen the light. They have a new centre half Pacho who I’m not familiar with but I’ll be watching with interest.

Apologies on the

Apologies on the late reply, but yeah I’d agree with your assessment from my limited viewing of them.

They always seemed reliant on individual brilliance to win games, and not just in big ties. I think with any team that had the manager rotation that they had, similar to United, it’s always difficult to implement a consistent style of play.

When any team starts to rely on an individual I think your always asking for issues but maybe they are building on the young internationals, similar again to United and they’ve seen the light. They have a new centre half Pacho who I’m not familiar with but I’ll be watching with interest.

Skriniar was a bit of a misfire at CB, it seems. Too slow. I'm surprised they only added one player there but if he's the right one...

Galtier's reign also started on blowing Lille 7-1 so PSG piling up those monster numbers early season is not necessarily unexpected or a sign they solved their riddle. But they have a good roster upfront. Dembélé has annoying flaws (inefficient in the final strike) but he's super active. Asencio and Lee are good utility players it seems. If Barcola and Neves are on the level this is probably closer to what Luis Enrique's plan and a more balanced squad.

Last edited:
Skriniar was a bit of a misfire at CB, it seems. Too slow. I'm surprised they only added one player there but if he's the right one...

Galtier's reign also started on blowing Lille 7-1 so PSG piling up those monster numbers early season is not necessarily unexpected or a sign they solved their riddle. But they have a good roster upfront. Dembélé has annoying flaws (inefficient in the final strike) but he's super active. Asencio and Lee are good utility players it seems. If Barcola and Neves are on the level this is probably more on the level of what Luis Enrique's plan and a more balanced squad.
I was going to mention Skirnar in the context of maybe adapting to the league, but as you say if the new boy is good they can at least build a spine.

I just caught up with the score from the weekend. Yeah I’ve never been to convinced by the big wins, it’s more can they win over well drilled teams on another level. It’s those players you mentioned who have talent but been in the shadows maybe that can now step up this season. I think Ruiz will be crucial too.