192.png

Height: 188cm
Position: Defender - Centre-Back
Foot: Both
Squad Number: #35
Contract expires: Jun 30, 2025
Last contract extension: Jul 12, 2024
Outfitter: Nike

This year he'll hopefully be used as he was meant to be last year. A back up bench warmer who gets the odd 10 minutes at the end of games to allow someone a rest, and dead rubber games in some European backwater/tinpot English town in the FA/League cup.

Looked like a 36 year old defender that we signed for free because Leicester didnt think he was good enough for them anymore

Don't care about the penalty but he did look very off pace a few times and had a few mix ups playing out from the back, which does affect our overall play. I still think he can do a job this season though.

Emergency CB playing and keeping Haaland quiet. Who is on his last legs. Credit to him.

Terrible penalty but a generally solid performance from an experienced pro who’s covering due to injuries. No problem with Jonny, top professional and a good player to have in the squad.

He's 5th choice centre back who's just here for emergencies. Maybe 6th if Shaw is fit and someone else plays left back.

It's just a symptom of our poor injury record and slow transfer business that he's starting for us.

Don't really see the need for heavy criticism.

He's a 36 year old Jonny Evans playing for Machester United. He should be bad. And mostly he's been a fair bit better than that, which is a credit to him.

Thankfully the De Ligt and Yoro signings will push him deeper into the squad, so hopefully we don't actually see him too often this season. But can't argue with what he's contributed since he returned given expectations.

He's a experienced player. Just hit it hard and low into the corner.

It’s easy to slate him but at 36 he’s doing a job

Should have been others stepping up in front of a 36 year old CB to take a pen the shithouses

because he took a bad penalty?

Because he played poorly and thats exactly how we got him, so we shouldnt be surprised going into his 2nd season that he's going to play poorly against City. There arent many 36 year old Cbs up to it

I thought he was poor throughout, even penalty aside.

Baffles me that Ten Hag, who has such a clear idea of how he wants to play in possession, will persist with him as an option this season.

Because he played poorly and thats exactly how we got him, so we shouldnt be surprised going into his 2nd season that he's going to play poorly against City. There arent many 36 year old Cbs up to it
Didn’t think that he played badly. Poor peno but maybe Rashford can catch it on the way down in Belfast

We deserve that loss for re-signing Jonny fecking Evans in year 2024. He wasn't good enough 10 years ago, he sure as hell isn't. Always bottled crunch moments as a player, so it's not really a surprise he did the same today. Saw it coming a mile away.

Was surprised to see him step up for the pen, would have been a lot lower down the expected pecking order

We deserve that loss for re-signing Jonny fecking Evans in year 2024. He wasn't good enough 10 years ago, he sure as hell isn't. Always bottled crunch moments as a player, so it's not really a surprise he did the same today. Saw it coming a mile away.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Didn’t think that he played badly. Poor peno but maybe Rashford can catch it on the way down in Belfast

Made a run down the left bizzarely when Lisnadro was under pressure, leading to him giving the ball away because he passed it where his CB should be rather than where his CB was running for no reason

Also gave away a corner when O Riley was pressuring him towards his own box, where he faffed about with it and then ran it off the pitch never deciding on a pass or clearance to make. The opposite of composure and playing out from the back

Terrible penalty but a generally solid performance from an experienced pro who’s covering due to injuries. No problem with Jonny, top professional and a good player to have in the squad.
This, he shouldn't play as much as he is playing and I am sure he would have retired this season if we didn't decide to keep him. Great to have around for the upcoming lads and has contributed more than his fair share given where he is.

Excellent depth that a defense of him and Maguire can limit any version of City to just one goal and a few chances in regular play.

I thought he was poor throughout, even penalty aside.

Baffles me that Ten Hag, who has such a clear idea of how he wants to play in possession, will persist with him as an option this season.
Persist? There's no one else suitable is there??

Anyone can miss a penalty but he looked like a bag of nerves, scared to death when taking that penalty. You are an experienced player, it’s just a bloody charity shield, how and why the hell you are so nervous? Laughable. That penalty justified his body language.

Struggled in possession generally but dealt well with Haaland. Should be fine with him as 4th CB for a few months then down to 5th when Yoro comes back.

I can’t be harsh on him. He’s never found wanting for effort and for his age and stage of his career he’s doing perfectly fine.

Some of the takes here are laughable, he looked the part in containing city's attack today, and considering his age and circumstances he's doing fecking amazing. I don't even want to comment on the penalty, if you're looking for scapegoat there's also a Sancho thread somewhere...

It’s easy to slate him but at 36 he’s doing a job

Should have been others stepping up in front of a 36 year old CB to take a pen the shithouses
To be fair, most players did step up before Evans. He was our 8th taker - the only ones below him were the keeper, a youngster on his first competitive senior start (Collyer), and a youngster who rarely features (Pellistri).

You could argue Pellistri, as an attacking player (though playing at RB!) should have stepped up before Evans. But plenty of experienced defenders often take penalties within the first 5 for teams.

Terrible penalty aside, I thought Evans did OK. Obviously not peak Evans anymore, and we were facing City so always in for a tough time, but I thought he did OK given his age and lack of pace.

He looked really nervous when walking towards the penalty, ffs he's a 36 year old player. I know he's not usually a penalty taker but ffs have some nerves. Besides that he did as well as anyone can expect from him, he shouldn't be playing this kind of games but here we are.

To be fair, most players did step up before Evans. He was our 8th taker - the only ones below him were the keeper, a youngster on his first competitive senior start (Collyer), and a youngster who rarely features (Pellistri).

You could argue Pellistri, as an attacking player (though playing at RB!) should have stepped up before Evans. But plenty of experienced defenders often take penalties within the first 5 for teams.

Terrible penalty aside, I thought Evans did OK. Obviously not peak Evans anymore, and we were facing City so always in for a tough time, but I thought he did OK given his age and lack of pace.
Looked it up: Pellistri has 26 caps for Uruguay! Having failed to stop Silva scoring the header he should have taken the pen before Evans. Remember in Champions league final v Chelsea, Anderson and Nani were both in their 1st season and had come on as subs yet took pens as attacking players in the biggest game off their careers at that stage.

Honestly, did he took a penalty shoot before in his whole career ? :lol: :lol: