Joao Neves

JE-365

• Press resistant midfielder.
  • Good in defending.
  • Great injury record (no injury ever recorded in his career or this season)
  • Low wages
  • Perfect age for long term investment of rebuild alongside Mainoo.
  • Tuck his shirt in :drool:
He ticks every boxes of what we actually need in midfield for long term.

But if we end up paying £100m, that will put big pressure to him to perform straight away. I’m afraid it’s not something we should do. Hopefully, Benfica willing to accept much lower than 100m for the sake of the kid. They asked £100m on Enzo because he left in January, hopefully they ask much lower for Joao Neves in summer.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
  • Press resistant midfielder.
  • Good in defending.
  • Great injury record (no injury ever recorded in his career or this season)
  • Low wages
  • Perfect age for long term investment of rebuild alongside Mainoo.
  • Tuck his shirt in :drool:
He ticks every boxes of what we actually need in midfield for long term.

But if we end up paying £100m, that will put big pressure to him to perform straight away. I’m afraid it’s not something we should do. Hopefully, Benfica willing to accept much lower than 100m for the sake of the kid. They asked £100m on Enzo because he left in January, hopefully they ask much lower for Joao Neves in summer.
They certainly won’t be asking much lower. We can knock a little bit off due to Fernandez but otherwise Benfica will get their fee.

big_jeffstar

This is the one player I’m actually excited about us signing from the recent rumours..it would be a massive statement of intent from INEOS that they want to build a brighter future for the club, we’re desperate for press resistant players, and we need legs in midfield, it’s killing us every week

witchtrials

£130m for him and Doue to play alongside Mainoo and you potentially have the best midfield in Europe for the next 15years....do it ffs
I'm not going to get quite that ambitious with my predictions but I would love to see those signings.

We all know there is no realistic way to transform into strong title-contending squad in a single window, so I'd prefer us to sign this pair and one or two others of a similar profile (young and with a formidable future) and have the start of a project, rather than shopping around for a larger number of mid-price players with more experience to try to plug holes.

bucky

There’s no way it would be 100m anyway. It’s just a silly number that Portuguese publications stick on every half decent talent.
They wanted Enzo Fernández' release clause for a half a year of football. Neves has a whole season under his belt and is arguably just as talented, if not more. They probably will ask for something similar.

didz

He's 19 years old -- I'd hope so!
This is why I'd prefer us to sign players with a couple of full seasons behind them at this point. At 19, what do you really have to go on? Whether they run funny and how chubby their dad is, that's what!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
They wanted Enzo Fernández' release clause for a half a year of football. Neves has a whole season under his belt and is arguably just as talented, if not more. They probably will ask for something similar.
Enzo did not have ‘half a year of football’!

jesperjaap

Doue is more of a winger though isn’t he. Looks versatile though and reasonably priced.
Last couple of games of Rennes Ive watched he's been playing in midfield pretty deep...almost a Mainoo role. It is why he is the must sign for me as our starting eleven there are probably even if all are fit maybe eight positions need filling and we cant sign 8, even if we did...squadbe weakwith what we need to sell to fund it . Doue could possible play all midfield positions and either flank. Personally like to see him on the wing at firstbefore maybe replacing the Fernandes role over the next season or so. The potential of a Neves/Mainoo/Doue midfieldis mouth watering as allso good on the ball

red.knight

You can’t press Joao Neves. Damn Neves and Mainoo as the 8s with Desire Doue as a defensive midfielder would be absolute levels for United. Unfortunately, with that name and skills, I expect him to sign for City.

Blood Mage

We can't afford him. Why are we still fantasising about these big money deals despite our dire FFP situation? We need to do smart business this summer, spend 100m on three players rather than one.

Paul778

£130m for him and Doue to play alongside Mainoo and you potentially have the best midfield in Europe for the next 15years....do it ffs
Do you think both would come here to the clusterfeck of a project under ETH? We have some serious work to do in overcoming 'him' to get good players.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Do you think both would come here to the clusterfeck of a project under ETH? We have some serious work to do in overcoming 'him' to get good players.
We’ve had one terrible season (with some mitigations at that), and one good season under him. There are no certainties at this stage frankly.

jesperjaap

Other big playershave come in the last decade, also woutout CL football and we have been crap for most of them. We are obiously in name still a big club and doubt most players outside the premiership are super aware of situations at other European clubs, Not many clubscould afford Neves and not seenbig clubslinked to Doue, West Ham and Newcastle ones Ive seen. The premiership is a big draw, the wages are a big draw....so just depends who else could bein for them,but why onearth not

The Irish Connection

Last couple of games of Rennes Ive watched he's been playing in midfield pretty deep...almost a Mainoo role. It is why he is the must sign for me as our starting eleven there are probably even if all are fit maybe eight positions need filling and we cant sign 8, even if we did...squadbe weakwith what we need to sell to fund it . Doue could possible play all midfield positions and either flank. Personally like to see him on the wing at firstbefore maybe replacing the Fernandes role over the next season or so. The potential of a Neves/Mainoo/Doue midfieldis mouth watering as allso good on the ball
Yeah, I only recently heard of Doue but he looks very talented and versatile for his age. Would be a smart signing for the rumoured price.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Neves and Doue would be absolutely brilliant signings. That is how you rebuild a squad, by signing the best young players available. They won’t all work out as expected, but it’s exactly the way I would like to see our club go about getting back to the top. Taking a long term view and investing in the very best under 23 players in the world. As someone else said, a midfield of Neves, Mainoo, and Doue would be wonderful now; but in 2-3 years it could be absolutely sensational. The best part is, they don’t have to play every game, when you already have Bruno, and if he’s ever fit….Mount.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Neves and Doue would be absolutely brilliant signings. That is how you rebuild a squad, by signing the best young players available. They won’t all work out as expected, but it’s exactly the way I would like to see our club go about getting back to the top. Taking a long term view and investing in the very best under 23 players in the world. As someone else said, a midfield of Neves, Mainoo, and Doue would be wonderful now; but in 2-3 years it could be absolutely sensational. The best part is, they don’t have to play every game, when you already have Bruno, and if he’s ever fit….Mount.
Who is Doue and is he one of the best young players in the game?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Who is Doue and is he one of the best young players in the game?
Desire Doue from Rennes, and yes he looks really really good. Think we are going to see him blow up over the next couple of years. But then again, he wouldn’t be the first to promise much and achieve little. So who knows?

kode

Desire doue is a winger if i am not mistaken. Agree he can be a good buy though not going to play midfield

aeh1991

If you could choose, would you rather spend 80m on him or Bruno G.? Neves is 5 years younger and potentially has has a higher ceiling, but Bruno would be an instant help, EPL-proven and brings experience. Both seem to be available this summer.

Gordon S

If you could choose, would you rather spend 80m on him or Bruno G.? Neves is 5 years younger and potentially has has a higher ceiling, but Bruno would be an instant help, EPL-proven and brings experience. Both seem to be available this summer.
Newcastle are selling Bruno G? Really?

reddev3

Neves is 7 years younger

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He has a release clause, it’s not that simple for them to refuse.
Fair enough, I didn't know that. I still think they'd make it as difficult as they possibly could. I'm thinking along the Arsenal bid for Suarez all those years ago.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Fair enough, I didn't know that. I still think they'd make it as difficult as they possibly could. I'm thinking along the Arsenal bid for Suarez all those years ago.
This is a matter of contract law I imagine. I see your Arsenal/Suarez and raise you the hostile acquisitions of Figo to Real and Neymar to Paris. They’ll do nuffink.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
This is a matter of contract law I imagine. I see your Arsenal/Suarez and raise you the hostile acquisitions of Figo to Real and Neymar to Paris. They’ll do nuffink.
Any chance of a gentleman's agreement in the Ashworth deal, not to target any Newc players?