Jim Thwaites

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
16-year old talented midfielder coming through the ranks.

Impressive cameos in the U18 Premier League last season, I’d expect him to be an important part of the U18s squad going forward. Thwaites made his U21s debut too in 2023/24.

Brilliant close control, good dribbler, likes to take on defenders and he can finish from a distance.

Last edited:
Watched this lad 4 or 5 times over the last few years and looks like a real talent and still lots of physical development to come compared to his piers. Definitely one to watch

With a name like that, he'll never make it.

He shoudl be a history professor or something more suitable to his name.

From the bits I’ve seen he does look a tidy player. He reminds me of Mather in both seem good at dribbling and like to stand their opponents up rather than beat them with outright pace.

For those who know him better, is he a number 10 or more wide player? Maybe inside forward as he seems to have a goal in him too.

From the bits I’ve seen he does look a tidy player. He reminds me of Mather in both seem good at dribbling and like to stand their opponents up rather than beat them with outright pace.

For those who know him better, is he a number 10 or more wide player? Maybe inside forward as he seems to have a goal in him too.

I think he has more intensity in his game than Mather (which are my main criticisms of Sam) but also more tiny (this can change over next couple of years).

I think he is a number 10 but like Mather would be probably deployed out wide until he reaches a certain stage of his career.

Is he the guy that used to play for us when we were known as Newton Heath?

I think he has more intensity in his game than Mather (which are my main criticisms of Sam) but also more tiny (this can change over next couple of years).

I think he is a number 10 but like Mather would be probably deployed out wide until he reaches a certain stage of his career.
Intensity and application can be a difficult quality to analyse at this level. I think certain players can drift out of games but yeah Jim seems to get involved regularly and try and make things happen.

He seems to have a nice passing range so 10 could be the way though I do like a wide playmaker too. Be interesting to see him, Lacey and ibragimov behind a striker later next season.

I mean no disrespect to the lad who is clearly talented - but is there anyone who hasn't trained with the first team one time or another ?

Out of the 16-year old players who have barely played for the U18s, I'm sure there are some. Regardless it's a big moment for any of our academy players to train with the first team for the first time. Especially when it's not during an international break or early pre-season when we're low in numbers.

Last edited:
Out of the 16-year old players who have barely played for the U18s, I'm sure there are some. Regardless it's a big moment for any of our academy player to train with the first team for the first time. Especially when it's not during an international break or early pre-season when we're low in numbers.
Yeah I have no doubt.....thanks mate

Was impressed with him from the first time I saw him come on for the u18s, looks very tidy with technique and has scored some very good goals. I've only seen him as a sub though