Israel - Iran and regional players | Please post respectfully and stay on topic

From what I'm reading it's 300+ missiles. Can a CSG really get that many SM-3/SM-6 missiles in air in that short of a time window to intercept all incoming missiles?

And that too fired from Canada or Mexico, not across the world.

Despite videos of impacts here and there it doesn't seem like the attack caused a major amount of casualties.

From what I've heard, no real damage done in terms of casualties.

But that just exemplifies the asymmetrical nature of this. Israelis have the luxury of bunkers and being able to fly out to the their jollies or first/second nations. The people of Gaza and Lebanon have no such protection beyond a prayer. Existential threat my arse.
Better this way and it doesn't matter as it never was the intended effect.

What matters is that the missiles went through the so-called Iron Dome, despite the (short-term) warning, so the notion of security and protection is now definitely gone.

Despite videos of impacts here and there it doesn't seem like the attack caused a major amount of casualties.

Before the attack, the reports said the Iranians were going after military targets. It's not surprising there are no major casualties.

So apparently there's also been a shooting attack in Jaffa. I'm seeing headlines citing 8 fatalities.

From what I'm reading it's 300+ missiles. Can a CSG really get that many SM-3/SM-6 missiles in air in that short of a time window to intercept all incoming missiles?

Mk-41 VLS launchers have a launch time of 0.8s (+-0.5s) gap between each missile. You usually have a forward VLS package and an aft VLS package which means two can be fired at once by the ship. Burke's and Tico's range from 90 to 122 VLS tubes per ship. The bottleneck isn't the firing speed of the VLS tubes, but for the combat control systems and guidance systems to fully integrate and guide each missile as it is launched.

There is also a mode for Mk41's that allow for every single missile to be launched at the exact same time up into the air. This will destroy most of the tubes and is only used in extreme emergency situations such as, "Our carrier will mostly likely get hit with this wave."

Also, SM-2's will provide the backbone of the interceptions. SM-3 and SM-6 for the high threat stuff. Not to mention quad-packed ESSM's.

All this together means that a standard CSG carries anything between 500-600 interceptors.

What matters is that the missiles went through the so-called Iron Dome, despite the (short-term) warning, so the notion of security and protection is now definitely gone.
Iron Dome is a short range air defense system and is not designed for missile attacks like this. They have David's Sling and Arrow for that.

And that too fired from Canada or Mexico, not across the world.

US has the best Early Warning Surveillance and Radar in the world. The moment those missiles reach 100ft in altitude, alarms will be ringing across all the stations.

CSG's have 5 AWACS per Carriers, on rotational sorties, with their DDG's with gigantic 360 degree AESA radars that requires multiple Kw of energy to power.

Israel's early warning is terrible in comparison.

They had three days of prior warning as to where and when. This time not so much.

Last time the missiles were cruise missiles, subsonic and takes hours to reach and can be intercepted by AMRAAMs and Sparrows.

This time it was mostly ballistic missiles which short of some very well positioned/lucky F-22's and F-15E's just happening to be in that trajectory at the exact moment, aircraft cannot intercept.

Come on. Some reports say that there are 500 missiles in question. If they shoot down 90-95 % it is pretty efficient imo

Now upto usa to contain netanhyu.
Nothing, from the pagers attack, to the bombing campaign in Lebanon, to now the Israeli "limited" ground operations, could've happened without the US' green light and full support.

Last edited:
Please stop stalking about Iron dome guys, it's such misinformation. Not a single person who knows anything about air defense expected Iron Dome to be able to do anything against this kind of attack.

Apparently hits scored on an Airfield with Israeli Jets damaged, source isn't most reliable however.

Please stop stalking about Iron dome guys, it's such misinformation. Not a single person who knows anything about air defense expected Iron Dome to be able to do anything against this kind of attack.

How much weapons do u think Iran has to hurt Israel?

Different media:
"Iran launches over 100 rockets"
"Iran launches 200 rockets"
"Iran launches near 500 rockets"

Which is it then?

I saw a vid on twitter not sure how reliable, but an airbase hit with like 20-30 missiles.

Come on. Some reports say that there are 500 missiles in question. If they shoot down 90-95 % it is pretty efficient imo
These numbers remain to be independently confirmed and I certainly wouldn't trust the western media on that topic. Furthermore, as I already said, it doesn't matter.

Iran's intent was not to inflict real damage and it went after military targets, not civilian ones. Unlike the Israelis and their Dahiya doctrine.

Israel heavily relies on a sentiment of invulnerability (and impunity), that's the basis of its deterrence. Its society is highly allergic to losses and casualties or even the fact of being hit.

I read this attack as a last pledge to the US to step in before a full fledged war.

These numbers remain to be independently confirmed and I certainly wouldn't trust the western media on that topic. Furthermore, as I already said, it doesn't matter.

Iran's intent was not to inflict real damage and it went after military targets, not civilian ones. Unlike the Israelis and their Dahiya doctrine.

Israel heavily relies on a sentiment of invulnerability (and impunity), that's the basis of its deterrence. Its society is highly allergic to losses and casualties or even the fact of being hit.

I read this attack as a last pledge to the US to step in before a full fledged war.
I can't believe this is true! Wtf??