Israel - Iran and regional players | Please post respectfully and stay on topic

The people of these countries really do have odd people. I can't even imagine wanting to live in somewhere like Mariupol or Gaza knowing how I'd gotten that property.

A bargain for some though I guess.
I think for those people the cruelty behind that land is the point.

Ahh yes, the threat of the impending Hezbollah ground invasion. With their enviable fleet of tanks and their air force. Perhaps they'd also be backed by the formidable naval fleet of the Houthis too to aid with their invasion.

It amazes me that folks still buy into this 'existential threat' nonsense. The sole nuclear power in the region, with the most advanced military in the region, backed by the world's premier superpower is at threat from some ragtag bunch of militiamen and kids with decommissioned soviet gear.
Nah mate, Iran is developing nuclear weapons so Hezbollah could borrow them and attack Israel. It'll happen any moment now.

Imagine October 7 would not be only Hamas on the south but also Radwan forces on the north. In concurrence with air campaign (from drones to ballistic missiles) from various directions. Of course Israel would not be defeated militarily because US would step in (as they did in April) but the damage would be enormous.

I am genuinely (no sarcasm) trying to understand what you mean by the zero reaction time. That is obviously correct. So are you saying it is unnecessary risk? And that Israeli army is cocky enough that they think nothing can happen to them now? And that it simply provides no military advantage? I am saying that the tanks wouldn't be there in that way two weeks ago (whether it is to show military dominance or prepare for ground invasion, or both).

We don't really need to imagine, we can look at the actual event that happened. Where none of this multi front fantasy occurred.

Does this perhaps not indicate to you that it wasn't some mastermind operation planned across multiple fronts to 'destroy' Israel but an attack by one group. Or did Hezbollah and the Houthis not set their alarms on the 7th?

I see the media pushing again "the small and precise operation" nonsense.

We don't really need to imagine, we can look at the actual event that happened. Where none of this multi front fantasy occurred.

Does this perhaps not indicate to you that it wasn't some mastermind operation planned across multiple fronts to 'destroy' Israel but an attack by one group. Or did Hezbollah and the Houthis not set their alarms on the 7th?
The benefit of highsight makes it easy for you to say that. There are many possible futures but only one past.

I bet this was exactly the conversation Hamas got when they went to Tehran for debriefing.

Imagine if only for example somebody would be able to detonate 3000+ pagers. At the same time. Have you ever imagined that? That is clearly impossible, isnt it?

Their alarms are fine. They simply miscalculated.

Would be weird to evacuate us citizens. Would make more sense to evacuate the embassy and the country.

...? For the US, it would be weird to evacuate its citizens out of a war zone? Like it does from every other war zone?

The benefit of highsight makes it easy for you to say that. There are many possible futures but only one past.

I bet this was exactly the conversation Hamas got when they went to Tehran for debriefing.

Imagine if only for example somebody would be able to detonate 3000+ pagers. At the same time. Have you ever imagined that? That is clearly impossible, isnt it?

Their alarms are fine. They simply miscalculated.

Makes it easy for me to say what?

I'm talking about actual facts that happened. You're coming up with fantastical situations where the regional superpower collapses militarily. From a combined invasion of Hamas, Hezbollah and missiles from those 2, Syria, Yemen, Iraq and Iran.

And you seem to be suggesting that somehow that was the plan and Iran, Houthis, Hezbollah et Al simply forgot to enact their portion of this master plan on the 7th.

Considering the kind of operations Mossad has been capable of in the past, it is completely within my limits of belief that Israel could do that. If you'd told me that the Egyptian or Saudi intelligence forces would do that, I'd laugh.

"USA will defend Israel" is the quote of the year. They will defend country which is invaded and bombing other country. Bloody hell.

My point is that there's no opportunity cost.

The air force would have spent that money anyway with more training sorties or something.

Or in Ukraine? or...you can forfeit budgets sometimes? if the US would be in a dire economic situations sure they would cut budgets short

For me, that sentence is. "Sorry I am that way"

Or in Ukraine? or...you can forfeit budgets sometimes? if the US would be in a dire economic situations sure they would cut budgets short

For me, that sentence is. "Sorry I am that way"

Ukraine is different because it was handing over stuff to a third party nation, and required bills to expropriate additional budgetary funding for those items.

A lot of the "money" given to Ukraine is just for accounting purposes, when the US hands over some surplus equipment it has to put that in its accounts and give a valuation for the stuff it hands over. It has also given cold hard cash of course.

You can technically have money left over in the pot in federal discretionary budgets but it's not in anyones motivation to have any money remaining because next year theres a high chance the budget will be slashed. If a project generally goes under budget and is processed really well, the surplus cash for costing that will go somewhere else.

Ukraine is different because it was handing over stuff to a third party nation, and required bills to expropriate additional budgetary funding for those items.

A lot of the "money" given to Ukraine is just for accounting purposes, when the US hands over some surplus equipment it has to put that in its accounts and give a valuation for the stuff it hands over. It has also given cold hard cash of course.

You can technically have money left over in the pot in federal discretionary budgets but it's not in anyones motivation to have any money remaining because next year theres a high chance the budget will be slashed. If a project generally goes under budget and is processed really well, the surplus cash for costing that will go somewhere else.

Exactly somewhere else.

I know how budgets work and how they need to be burned as my job has some customers that goes through that. Regardless, the cost of opportunity to spend it in a genocide is disgusting and surely from an accountability bureaucratic point of view there is nothing it can be done. But is pathetic that the FEMA buget doesn't have provisions for 9 billion dollars for the US relieve that needs to be burned by the end of the year but the defense budget has 9 billions to burn in a genocide.

Instead of a dismissive sentence meaning is what it is, maybe the defence budget can be spend of with the military helping with the repairs even if it is with materials and engineers salaries. Naive? maybe. But where there is a will....

Exactly somewhere else.

I know how budgets work and how they need to be burned as my job has some customers that goes through that. Regardless, the cost of opportunity to spend it in a genocide is disgusting and surely from an accountability bureaucratic point of view there is nothing it can be done. But is pathetic that the FEMA buget doesn't have provisions for 9 billion dollars for the US relieve that needs to be burned by the end of the year but the defense budget has 9 billions to burn in a genocide.

Instead of a dismissive sentence meaning is what it is, maybe the defence budget can be spend of with the military helping with the repairs even if it is with materials and engineers salaries. Naive? maybe. But where there is a will....

Who do you think did a lot of the infrastructure work after Iraq/Afghanistan?

Something like FEMA doesn't have a lot of wiggle room. It has a very specific mission with a small number but very expensive set of projects and operational parameters.

USAF is a behemoth of an organization that can easily wiggle some levers left, other right, Barcelona FC style and cut a bit here, cut a bit here and then you have surplus to add a bit more there.

Regarding FEMA underfunding: it is being used time and time again as a political wedge to push some kind of agenda (whatever it is that benefits whoever at that time) but the truth is FEMA has basically *always* been underfunded. To tie it to just spending on Israel is disingenuous at best.

Fact of the matter is that FEMA funding has always been reactionary and it's a longstanding disgrace. It is used as a budgetary slush fund really. Look up what happened under Bush when Katrina hit. The ineptitude and corruption combined with underfunding was staggering I even wrote a whole term paper on it.

Tldr; our entire system is setup to feck the common man regardless of who's in the WH.

Last edited: