Israel - Iran and regional players | Please post respectfully and stay on topic

What would you have the West do? You can’t just sit back and accept that a militia is disrupting the global commerce, and political pressure didn’t work. Not saying this is necessarily the right approach but what would be?

Stopping the genocide happening with full participation from them. I mean, they keep supplying weapons and bombs to a maniacal army that kills over a thousand every week. The political pressure is being applied on the wrong side.

The West loves to bomb their way out of the troubles they have created themselves.

Stopping the genocide happening with full participation from them. I mean, they keep supplying weapons and bombs to a maniacal army that kills over a thousand every week. The political pressure is being applied on the wrong side.

The West loves to bomb their way out of the troubles they have created themselves.
Whether you think the US should stop the war or not, surely they shouldn’t do so because they were bowing down to the Houthis?

What would you have the West do? You can’t just sit back and accept that a militia is disrupting the global commerce, and political pressure didn’t work. Not saying this is necessarily the right approach but what would be?

Houthis aren’t a militia - they’ve effectively won the Yemeni civil war and are the government of Yemen. They’ve survived and out fought a saudi-led war, who used the latest Western tech.

Tell me why you think military action is going to have tangible benefits to the Red Sea, yet alone the region? Point to me one example in the last 20 years where military intervention in the middle east actually achieved the aims set out?

How about - I dunno - strategically thinking about the region holistically and try to bring stability to it through diplomacy rather than readying the jets to bomb an already bombed people into submission, something they’ve successfully withstood for 8 years.

But I suppose this time bombing the shit out of them will actually work (in fairness the Saudis were fecking clueless).

Whether you think the US should stop the war or not, surely they shouldn’t do so because they were bowing down to the Houthis?

The "why" doesn't matter. It wouldn't be framed as bowing down to the Houthis anyway if they applied actual pressure on the ones committing genocide. They have been bowing down to the latter group which is led by fascists for over 100 days now.

Bombing the poorest country in the region is definitely not the solution and it will make the situation worse.

Houthis aren’t a militia - they’ve effectively won the Yemeni civil war and are the government of Yemen. They’ve survived and out fought a saudi-led war, who used the latest Western tech.

Tell me why you think military action is going to have tangible benefits to the Red Sea, yet alone the region? Point to me one example in the last 20 years where military intervention in the middle east actually achieved the aims set out?

How about - I dunno - strategically thinking about the region holistically and try to bring stability to it through diplomacy rather than readying the jets to bomb an already bombed people into submission, something they’ve successfully withstood for 8 years.

But I suppose this time bombing the shit out of them will actually work (in fairness the Saudis were fecking clueless).
Of course they are are a militia. That is why they have no clue how to rule their controlled areas and are instead using the Gaza war to pick another fight.

Obviously years of questionable US politics are partly responsible for creating this mess of a situation and I’m not saying taking on the Houthis directly will work or is the right course of action. But through the mistakes of the past we’ve arrived here where a militia is seriously disrupting the international trade, and they have done nothing to suggest this is about getting leverage for the Yemeni peace process. So what do you do?

The British (and French) arbitrarily carving up countries and then proceeding to superimpose one where people already inhabit land (because they didn't want to take responsibility for a people who they've shafted after enduring a horrendous crime) certainly doesn't help. Nor do the decades of hegemonic foreign policy, overthrowing non-compliant leaders, playing both sides in a war and propping up tyrants help either. Religion and oil certainly haven't helped, but the foundations for the instability sources from a hegemonic and colonial origin.
I think it’s probably too reductive to singularly pin Middle Eastern wars on either religion or oil. Obviously each conflict has its own dynamic that needs to be understood on its own terms, and both religion and oil are often relevant factors, but they are rarely if ever sufficient to explain things on their own.

Taking a step back and thinking in broader, more general terms, you could say that Middle Eastern conflicts tend to be driven by a combination and interplay of unresolved internal issues and pervasive external intervention.

The former have their origins in the ongoing process by which the region is attempting to come to terms with a largely Western-shaped modernity that has completely undermined the traditional forms of social and political solidarity that shaped Middle Eastern societies for centuries (this is not necessarily unique to the Middle East and really applies everywhere including the “West” itself). Religion, fundamentalism, and sectarianism are obviously major elements in this, but their role has to be understood in the context of the appeal of competing forms of solidarity relating to nationalism, tribalism, and so on, of the spread of modern forms of communication and technology, and of the actions of external powers pursuing competing agendas in the region.

The latter has its origins in the relatively asymmetric power balance between the region and Europe that began to be seriously felt by the end of the 18th century, and to the unique and vital geostrategic location of the region. Obviously ensuring the smooth and continuing flow of the region’s oil to the world’s markets is a vital aspect of the region’s importance, but again this must be understood in a broader context of great power competition, global trade routes, and so on. Insidious Western imperial intervention in the region long predates the mass export of its oil, and the Middle East will probably always hold a unique place in Great Power consciousness.

Pre-90s Turkey and Israel aside, the most popular (though not necessarily politically dominant) ideological and political movements in the region over the last century or more have probably been those that have promised to transcend the internal divisions in order to challenge and successfully overcome the external interference, with a view to placing the destiny of the Middle East firmly back in the hands of the peoples of the region themselves. So far none of them have come close to succeeding in this.
Many thanks both of you for your input

The "why" doesn't matter. It wouldn't be framed as bowing down to the Houthis anyway if they applied actual pressure on the ones committing genocide. They have been bowing down to the latter group which is led by fascists for over 100 days now.

Bombing the poorest country in the region is definitely not the solution and it will make the situation worse.
Of course it matters. If the Houthis sense that they can dictate US foreign policy by attacking cargo ships in the Red Sea, it won’t be the last time they use that trick.

Last edited:
Of course they are are a militia. That is why they have no clue how to rule their controlled areas and are instead using the Gaza war to pick another fight.

Obviously years of questionable US politics are partly responsible for creating this mess of a situation and I’m not saying taking on the Houthis directly will work or is the right course of action. But through the mistakes of the past we’ve arrived here where a militia is seriously disrupting the international trade, and they have done nothing to suggest this is about getting leverage for the Yemeni peace process. So what do you do?

Not sure on what basis you claim they have no clue on how to rule. They are clearly the government in Saana and they’re ruling no differently to say the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Also they have clearly said that their attacks on international shipping has nothing to do with the Yemeni peace process, so not sure why you think it does?

And when you’re unable to think of solutions beyond the military that doesn’t mean it’s the only solution. Libya was similar in 2011, a futile stupid intervention that further dramatically destabilised the region and sub-saharan Africa.

How about we work diplomatically to get Israel to cease their own futile and barbaric intervention in Gaza and then go from there? That’s the root cause of the current issues in the Red Sea.

War plays into the hands of hardliners across the region, including Iran. It’s a short sighted move and won’t degrade the Houthis - just as dropping megatons of munitions on the Taliban did feck all to prevent their eventual victory. And if you’re worried about prices going up because of shipping that pails into comparison to the potential cost of ongoing conflict, something we’ve been desperately trying to extricate ourselves from over the last 6 years.

Anyway, they’ll obviously bomb Yemen loads more. So guess we’ll see what happens.

Not sure on what basis you claim they have no clue on how to rule. They are clearly the government in Saana and they’re ruling no differently to say the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Also they have clearly said that their attacks on international shipping has nothing to do with the Yemeni peace process, so not sure why you think it does?

And when you’re unable to think of solutions beyond the military that doesn’t mean it’s the only solution. Libya was similar in 2011, a futile stupid intervention that further dramatically destabilised the region and sub-saharan Africa.

How about we work diplomatically to get Israel to cease their own futile and barbaric intervention in Gaza and then go from there? That’s the root cause of the current issues in the Red Sea.

War plays into the hands of hardliners across the region, including Iran. It’s a short sighted move and won’t degrade the Houthis - just as dropping megatons of munitions on the Taliban did feck all to prevent their eventual victory. And if you’re worried about prices going up because of shipping that pails into comparison to the potential cost of ongoing conflict, something we’ve been desperately trying to extricate ourselves from over the last 6 years.

Anyway, they’ll obviously bomb Yemen loads more. So guess we’ll see what happens.
Despite what the Houthis say (that this is solely about Gaza), it’s a common perception among analysts that the attacks on cargo ships also serve the Houthis domestically, at least in the eyes of the Houthis, in two ways. Firstly, it is a convenient distraction from the dire economic situation and general societal breakdown in Yemen, which the people will eventually start blaming the Houthis for, as they would any sitting government. Standing up for the Palestinians against Israel/the West is a popular thing to do and will earn the Houthis increased legitimacy domestically. Secondly, it gives the Houthis some sort of international legitimacy, or at least attention, perhaps with a view to position themselves as legitimate Yemeni rulers ahead of renewed peace talks.

Last edited:
Good analysis, including the part as to how and why China is not on board when yet they are losing a ton of money in this mess as well.

Last edited:
Islamic Republic avenges having its IRGC commanders made into meatball by Israel in Syria by .... executing a 23-year old Political prisoner from Mahsa Amini protests.

This is his father, who fought 7 years in the Iran-Iraq war for the country and lost most of his hearing ability, walking to the Prison door in hope of a last minute miracle, that never happened. So alone ...

According to eyewitness who was near Prison area in the morning right after the execution (They always execute after their damned morning prayers) , the last thing he saw was Ghobadlou's father being beaten up by security forces and having their car windows broken. There are at least over 50+ of the parents of the executed and murdered protestors who have been jailed by the regime for the crime of wanting justice for the loss of their loves ones. Just some names you can google so you know I'm not making it up: Manouchehr Bakhtiari, Mashallah Karami, Nahid Shirpisheh, etc.

*** The day of revenge will eventually come, and I hope no one cries human rights when we send these mullahs and their apologists to the most hottest hell to exist in the most ruthless way to avenge 45 years of torture and misery. Khomeini's shrine will be a museum of the crimes against humanity IR committed in those years and hopefully his actual grave will become a public toilet.

And while at it, **** anyone who defends and white-washes these monsters in the name of being a woke Anti-imperialist like I've been noticing on Tiktok lately. Love the mullahs and think they are based? Go f**** live under their rule! Talk is cheap.

Islamic Republic avenges having its IRGC commanders made into meatball by Israel in Syria by .... executing a 23-year old Political prisoner from Mahsa Amini protests.

This is his father, who fought 7 years in the Iran-Iraq war for the country and lost most of his hearing ability, walking to the Prison door in hope of a last minute miracle, that never happened. So alone ...

According to eyewitness who was near Prison area in the morning right after the execution (They always execute after their damned morning prayers) , the last thing he saw was Ghobadlou's father being beaten up by security forces and having their car windows broken. There are at least over 50+ of the parents of the executed and murdered protestors who have been jailed by the regime for the crime of wanting justice for the loss of their loves ones. Just some names you can google so you know I'm not making it up: Manouchehr Bakhtiari, Mashallah Karami, Nahid Shirpisheh, etc.

*** The day of revenge will eventually come, and I hope no one cries human rights when we send these mullahs and their apologists to the most hottest hell to exist in the most ruthless way to avenge 45 years of torture and misery. Khomeini's shrine will be a museum of the crimes against humanity IR committed in those years and hopefully his actual grave will become a public toilet.

And while at it, **** anyone who defends and white-washes these monsters in the name of being a woke Anti-imperialist like I've been noticing on Tiktok lately. Love the mullahs and think they are based? Go f**** live under their rule! Talk is cheap.

It’s such a sad state of affairs. My grandmother died last week in Iran - someone I’ve never been able to truly get to know and meet only once when I was 6 (32 now). Pails in comparison to these people who have been touched directly by evil of the regime.

I really hope Iran is one day free. In fact, I believe it’ll have one of the biggest geopolitical impacts of our lifetimes. Like the wall coming down in Berlin.

On another note, it’s shit like this that demonstrates why Iran cannot match Israel in organisation or efficiency. Israel is united as a nation, their armed forces are well trained and they actually act as one (full disclosure: they’re committing genocide). The Islamic Republic is far too preoccupied with raping its own people and looting its own country to actually pose a true threat long term. They thrive off being in the goldilocks zone of isolation - just cut off enough so they can keep their paedo mullah grip on the country and continue to slowly bleed it dry.

The only silver lining is that they are getting older. Khamanei must die soon, his replacement will hopefully be weaker. Could be scary but opportunities for a better country will hopefully be taken.

The US shared intel with Iran on the terror attack in Iran.

A bit like the FBI warning a mobster they have information a hit is about to take place on him.
Gotta love that "law and order" touch.

Last time I checked, 1736 was the last time Iran invaded another country (India). Now their regime might not be the most appealing one to say the least, but the actual mobsters on the international scene ain't exactly who you think they are.

Last time I checked, 1736 was the last time Iran invaded another country (India). Now their regime might not be the most appealing one to say the least, but the actual mobsters on the international scene ain't exactly who you think they are.

I think the second attempt to capture Herat in 1856 probably counts as the most recent example. In any case they were different regimes and it is events since 1979 that count in this context.

There are no mobsters in this analogy given that the US is a democratic state and mobsters are totalitarian by nature. The religious fanatic post 1979 Velayat-e faqih flavor of Iranians are also not the same folks who lived hundreds of years ago. Khomeinite Iran has been in near constant conflict either directly with Iraq or indirectly in Lebanon, Gaza, Syria, Iraq, Yemen, and in a regional cold war with the Saudis.

Last edited:
There are no mobsters in this analogy given that the US is a democratic state and mobsters are totalitarian by nature. The religious fanatic post 1979 Velayat-e faqih flavor of Iranians are also not the same folks who lived hundreds of years ago. Khomeinite Iran has been in near constant conflict either directly with Iraq or indirectly in Lebanon, Gaza, Syria, Iraq, Yemen, and in a regional cold war with the Saudis.
I mean one of your frontrunners for the election this year is a known crook with an admiration for totalitarian despots, and the US has loved getting into bed with despots all across the globe pretty much over the last century. That's not even going into the fact that half your politicians are paid for by lobbyists. The US is also responsible for more deaths than pretty much any other power since the end of WW2. In fact you're currently sponsoring a genocide as we speak.

The Iranian regime is a heinous one which the Iranians deserve to be free from, but let's not pretend that the US is this democratic bastion of stability. The damage they've done globally puts Iran to shame.

I mean one of your frontrunners for the election this year is a known crook with an admiration for totalitarian despots, and the US has loved getting into bed with despots all across the globe pretty much over the last century. That's not even going into the fact that half your politicians are paid for by lobbyists. The US is also responsible for more deaths than pretty much any other power since the end of WW2. In fact you're currently sponsoring a genocide as we speak.

The Iranian regime is a heinous one which the Iranians deserve to be free from, but let's not pretend that the US is this democratic bastion of stability. The damage they've done globally puts Iran to shame.

No arguments on Trump. He's definitely an authoritarian crook, but one who would still be elected democratically (assuming no Russian interference again).

There are no mobsters in this analogy given that the US is a democratic state and mobsters are totalitarian by nature. The religious fanatic post 1979 Velayat-e faqih flavor of Iranians are also not the same folks who lived hundreds of years ago. Khomeinite Iran has been in near constant conflict either directly with Iraq or indirectly in Lebanon, Gaza, Yemen, and in a regional cold war with the Saudis.
I sometimes wonder if you actually believe what you write or just are on the wind-up.

You somehow think or imply that being a democracy is some kind of a magic spell that automatically gives you the moral high ground, and absolves you from any wrong doing or being compared to totalitarian regimes. The US has been a major thug and a mobster of the worst kind on the international scene since the end of WWII, particularly in South-America and the Middle-East, and their victims are counted in millions. No country on Earth can boast having caused more havoc and more deaths than the US in the past 75 years. There hasn't been a single whiff of international law, freedom or democracy in any of your interventions, military or not, except in ex-Yougoslavia and that was under the NATO flag. And don't come at me with Kuwait, you were there for the oil and nothing else.

The current Iranian regime is without a doubt religiously driven, authoritarian and anti-democratic by its very nature and I would be the last person to dispute that. I'd also be very happy to see it fall because I happen to think that the Iranians deserve much better. But let's roll back some years, shall we?

The Iranian Revolution in 1979 happened in reaction to Mohammad Reza Pahlavi's regime. Reza was put in place by the MI6 and the CIA who considered him much more amenable than the democratically elected Mosaddegh. The latter decided to nationalize Iranian oil, reason enough for the UK and US to overthrow him in 1953 (Operation Boot for the UK and Ajax for the US). Despite Pahlavi's remarkable economic and social success through his White Revolution and his ability to shake off the US tight influence over the years whist maintaining cordial relations with the West up to a point, his regime with the help of its secret police (the infamous SAVAK, formed and supported by the CIA) turned into a despotic one. His actions to increase the oil prices in the seventies lost him the western support, and he never really could get rid of the western puppet image.

And you know what's funny? Jimmy Carter actually sent a US general (Robert Huyser) to prevent the Iranian military from saving the Shah.

Saddam Hussein's Iraq was the one that actually invaded Iran in 1980, less than a year after Khomeini came to power, with the blessing and support of the West, the Saudis, and quite incredibly, the Soviets and China. The US not only sold Iraq conventional weapons but also chemical and biological technology which would find its way into the conflict and after. For good measure, the US also sold weapons to Iran in order to bleed out both countries (the Iran-Contra should ring some bells). "Richard Murphy, Assistant Secretary of State during the war, testified to Congress in 1984 that the Reagan administration believed a victory for either Iran or Iraq was neither militarily feasible nor strategically desirable".

An economically and militarily exhausted Iraq was swiftly dealt with by the US in 1991, right after the end of the Iran-Iraq war (1989), then once and for all in 2003. With Iraq bombed back to the stone age, closely followed by Syria, and Egypt being bought off since 1973, the only major player in the region left who wasn't and still isn't willing to play by US rules is Iran. And that's a problem for your democratic mobsters.

Iran is using proxies to protect itself, maintain or gain influence in the region. Just like every other player there, including the US, their Saudi pals and Israel.

The horror. How unfair, how unlawful. Such bad, much evil. Shocking, I tell you.

Last edited:
You somehow think or imply that being a democracy is some kind of magic spell that automatically gives you the moral high ground, and absolves you from any wrong doing or being compared to totalitarian regimes.

That's how power works in the international system. In the absence of a world government, powerful states get to do what they want, which means the world's most powerful state can pretty much advance its own agenda at will. This is a basic tenet of structural realism in international relations if you're into that sort of thing. Power will always trump fairness and a lack of double standards. Its obvious the US has made plenty of mistakes along the way, but better the power at the top be in the hands of a pluralistic democracy than a totalitarian dictatorship or a religious theocracy. Whether you accept it or not, this is the predicament we are in until humans develop a new system (whether a world government or otherwise) where power is decentralized and democratized across the world and people's rights are equal irrespective of where they live. Until then, this is the system we are in.

That's how power works in the international system. In the absence of a world government, powerful states get to do what they want, which means the world's most powerful state can pretty much advance its own agenda at will. This is a basic tenet of structural realism in international relations if you're into that sort of thing. Power will always trump fairness and a lack of double standards. Its obvious the US has made plenty of mistakes along the way, but better the power at the top be in the hands of a pluralistic democracy than a totalitarian dictatorship or a religious theocracy. Whether you accept it or not, this is the predicament we are in until humans develop a new system (whether a world government or otherwise) where power is decentralized and democratized across the world and people's rights are equal irrespective of where they live. Until then, this is the system we are in.
Well, when you formulate your thoughts this way, I'm more than open to hear them and actually happen to agree with a good part of what you're saying.

A pluralistic democracy is obviously the better choice and something I wholeheartedly subscribe for, if that wasn't clear enough. It however loses its traction, its appeal, its power, and becomes self-defeating when it behaves like a totalitarian regime towards other countries. Not only internationally, but also domestically. Double standards kill the standards. There are principles you just can't compromise on without losing yourself. I say this because I've lived on both sides of the fence and know exactly how it looks like.

I personally believe that we are right now at a crossroad and and facing a major shake-up. For the better or the worse.

Last edited:
Court-ing controversy: Uganda casts off judge who backed Israel in ICJ Gaza genocide case
World

Kampala has distanced itself from Ugandan ICJ judge Julia Sebutinde, who voted against all of the emergency measures ordered of Israel to protect Palestinians.

Adonia Ayebare, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Uganda to the United Nations, said in a post on X: "Justice Sebutinde's ruling at the International Court of Justice does not represent the Government of Uganda’s position on the situation in Palestine.

"Uganda’s support for the plight of the Palestinian people has been expressed through Uganda ‘s voting pattern at the United Nations."

https://www.newarab.com/news/uganda-disowns-judge-who-backed-israel-icj-genocide-case?amp