Is France the next EU trouble spot?

mu77

Strikes , high unemployment , floods , terror attacks , and a Euro in a pear tree.

yes.

They have massive structural economic problems that get ignored, because they won´t get into major trouble in the short run. Still they´d need massive reforms to prevent a huge crisis in the long run. Considering their cultural and the political situation, this kind of policy turnaround is not feasible.

We already see, that a slightly deteriorating economic situation leads to political radicalization. Radical parties (on both sides, but the FN will be the immediate problem) will aggravated all those problems.

That is really the biggest problem, but there are also other things like a failed migration policies or terrorism that add to the problem.

If I was a multinational company i would not touch France with a bargepole.

And don´t forget the threat of massive strikes and civil disobedience during the Euros, plus the racial unrest with the national side that´s been brewing since, Laurent Blanc, Willy Sagnol, and now Cantona vs Deschamps.

cantona , that's the easiest one to answer.

i really feel for the small businesses that will take a beating. we talked to one gal who has a small business and she'd have had to close if she had an employee. she didn't seem to think the troubles were near over.

Highlights from The Roland-Garros French Open

gshMBTo.jpg

I fear for the safety at the euros
My best mate and I were planning to do some day trips across to a couple of games in the north, it's only 3.5-4hrs each way for us, incl. the train crossing, and I've got so many Tesco points to convert to eurotunnel tickets it'd basically only cost fuel & match tickets. But, we've decided to err on the side of safety and will watch on tv instead now.

I fear for the safety at the euros
Ordinarily one does fear these large events, but the majority of terrorist actions in Europe has been in totally unremarkable days, whether from Al-Qaeda or ISIS. The very high security large events entail is probably a big dissuasive factor for terrorists.

Ordinarily one does fear these large events, but the majority of terrorist actions in Europe has been in totally unremarkable days, whether from Al-Qaeda or ISIS. The very high security large events entail is probably a big dissuasive factor for terrorists.
I don't agree that they will be dissuaded.

Large groups of people in one place, it'll be target practice

stade de france is a perfect target. shite neighborhood , you have the RER , a stadium , open spaces leading to the stade. yep , looks a bad place to congregate.

Also a bit related...

The Directorate General of Internal Security (ISB) has screened a total of 3,500 individuals already hired for the job of ensuring the safety of visitors, according to Le Point. Those among the 82 found on the watch list could by definition either belong to a terrorist group, such as Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL), or have a history of questionable behavior or extreme beliefs on either the left or right.

https://www.rt.com/news/345469-euro-football-terrorist-watchlist/

Well, they seem to have been so far and go for easier targets. There are full stadiums all over Europe every week, with far less security than the one that will be up for the Euros.

I do believe there's a higher baseline risk, but the extra security measures probably offset that somewhat.

The French do love a good strike. The need serious structural reform. But it won't happen.

Well, they seem to have been so far and go for easier targets. There are full stadiums all over Europe every week, with far less security than the one that will be up for the Euros.

I do believe there's a higher baseline risk, but the extra security measures probably offset that somewhat.
I really hope you're right.

Being in the stadium is one thing but if you're ticketless I know I wouldn't be comfortable standing in a town square with thousands of other people watching a big screen

France don't have to worry, when we leave the EU they will become the 5th largest economy in the world and we all know that when you're the 5th largest economy in the world everybody lines up to do business with you. The leave campaign tell us so all the time.

I suspect we'll see a lot of this happening across Europe. A lot of people, rightfully or wrongfully, feel incredibly disgruntled right now, and it's understandable as to why they'd feel the EU doesn't represent them and doesn't have a particularly positive impact.

I suspect we'll see a lot of this happening across Europe. A lot of people, rightfully or wrongfully, feel incredibly disgruntled right now, and it's understandable as to why they'd feel the EU doesn't represent them and doesn't have a particularly positive impact.

The french don't have that much problem with the EU -it's their government that set their regulations that they are disgruntled with. The difference is the British blame the EU for their own government's failings

The french don't have that much problem with the EU -it's their government that set their regulations that they are disgruntled with. The difference is the British blame the EU for their own government's failings

The rise of far right groups in France though certainly suggests some sort of anti-EU sentiment, though. It may take longer to materialise, but if it continues then you'd expect them to question their position in the EU at some point.

The rise of far right groups in France though certainly suggests some sort of anti-EU sentiment, though. It may take longer to materialise, but if it continues then you'd expect them to question their position in the EU at some point.

French people have similar feelings about immigration as British people , and of course there is a level of anti-EU feeling and the popularity of the FN is higher or at least more open than in the UK but is more a protest vote, they won't win the election next year.
What irks me is this the sense that the EU governs the laws of each country

Look at France now, major problems with the labour law the government are pushing through. But this is from the French government not a law set by the EU.

Last edited:
France don't have to worry, when we leave the EU they will become the 5th largest economy in the world and we all know that when you're the 5th largest economy in the world everybody lines up to do business with you. The leave campaign tell us so all the time.

:lol:

:lol:

Strikes, high unemployment, floods, terror attacks... You mean the next EU trouble spot after Britain?

except france has 1) double the unemployment and 2) zee euros.

except france has 1) double the unemployment and 2) zee euros.

They also have a, for example, superior infra structure, health service, public transport, industry and (most importantly) cuisine.

They also have a, for example, superior infra structure, health service, public transport, industry and (most importantly) cuisine.

yes especially the last part. invade us but don't faff with our food.

I know, but surely you must prefer french cuisine:drool:

mais oui. was in paris before the floods. it's really odd because it was my first glimpse of the stade de france. bad location. i mean really bad.

but the food is the best. coffee , check. veal chop , check. cheese, check. wine , feck yes check. some of the best italian i've had - fecking paris. not too cnuty either.