Insight into Manchester United traditions

ManUSarge

I don't post on here much but I have been on this site just about every day for the past 5 or so years. I am from the US and have never stepped foot in the UK, let alone Old Trafford. I have been a Manchester United fan for over 10 years and do my best to watch every single match. I have to watch most of the matches well after the final whistle has been blown so I have to completely stay away from social media so I don't ruin the game.

Being a United fan overseas can be frustrating. United have been to the states a few times over the past several years and I have been unable to make it to one single match. I feel as though I would give my right arm to go and experience Old Trafford on game day. I listen to several football podcasts just to keep in with news and commentary that is not readily available here in the states. Many times I hear things that I have an idea what it is...but don't exactly know the traditions behind it. For instance, this may sound ridiculous to most of you, but I am unsure of what the significance is to the Stretford End of the stadium.

I am asking the caf to fill me in. As a supporter who will probably never get a chance to come and experience an afternoon at Old Trafford, fill me in on some United traditions, legends, and anything else that you feel is important for a United fan to know...no matter where they live.

Thanks and come on United!

Google a bit.
http://www.stretford-end.com/2007/08/the-stretford-end/

I was a Stretfordender in the 80s. Used to get queuing about 3 hours before kick off. Sing songs and get pushed aroundby police horses.
I was left side of the tunnel with four mates unless one was working. We chatted to two Yorkshire lads and three Welsh rockers who always stood near us.
Sometimes, when games were really poor, it was worth it for the banter alone.
I think £1.20 was the least I paid at junior prices for the paddock. Sometimes we'd visit the United road paddock or K stand to get closer to the away fans.

It was more about tribalism than football for me Iin those days, but I felt more a part of the club than the customer that I am today. (Paying 40 times more for a seat amongst strangers in a sterile North stand.)

Those times were special.

Google a bit.
http://www.stretford-end.com/2007/08/the-stretford-end/

I was a Stretfordender in the 80s. Used to get queuing about 3 hours before kick off. Sing songs and get pushed aroundby police horses.
I was left side of the tunnel with four mates unless one was working. We chatted to two Yorkshire lads and three Welsh rockers who always stood near us.
Sometimes, when games were really poor, it was worth it for the banter alone.
I think £1.20 was the least I paid at junior prices for the paddock. Sometimes we'd visit the United road paddock or K stand to get closer to the away fans.

It was more about tribalism than football for me Iin those days, but I felt more a part of the club than the customer that I am today. (Paying 40 times more for a seat amongst strangers in a sterile North stand.)

Those times were special.

Thanks for the comment. I will give it a look. I was just interested in it being told from those who have experienced it. Cheers!

My Season Ticket is in the Stretford End and, for the last two home games I've had a guy from LA who came specifically over for the Liverpool game, and a guy from Dortmund who came for the Sunderland game. Was pretty great to chat with them, as it always is to chat with United fans froma round the world.

In conclusion, get yourself over here for a game!

@ManUSarge
You are welcome. It would be worth reading up on it, or other terrace stories. I will be eye opening.
There was squalor, violence, camaraderie, humour, vitriol and comedy. Most of all passion that is hard to reproduce in seats where you may not be with mates.

I was actually in the seats of the north stand for this game (G stand I think), because my mum bought my ticket, and asked if I would be safe in the stretty, and someone told her no. I was gutted. Ended up a great view on the halfway line, and got crushed against Juve in the SF. Mum wasn't far wrong in her decision making.

@ManUSarge I can totally understand you. I have been United fan since 98 when I was 7 (you can all thank me for a treble, at that time we got a computer and games like fifa and nba, I decided for United in fifa and for Spurs in NBA, the rest is history).

Since then I have watched every game I possible could and from around 2005 when I discovered the beauty of streams and sopcast I watched pretty much all games, can't remember when I missed last one.

But the sad part is that I have never been at Old Trafford and it is one of the biggest wishes of mine. Still I think that I will surely fulfill this wish sooner rather than later. But it is surely frustrating watching United on TV when you wish so much to be there and cheer for the players.

My Season Ticket is in the Stretford End and, for the last two home games I've had a guy from LA who came specifically over for the Liverpool game, and a guy from Dortmund who came for the Sunderland game. Was pretty great to chat with them, as it always is to chat with United fans froma round the world.

For right now I would settle for catching them over here on tour...problem is they always travel to the west coast or the northern part of the country and I am down in the southeast. Making it to OT is the goal though...It's definitely on the bucket list.

@ManUSarge I can totally understand you. I have been United fan since 98 when I was 7 (you can all thank me for a treble, at that time we got a computer and games like fifa and nba, I decided for United in fifa and for Spurs in NBA, the rest is history).

Since then I have watched every game I possible could and from around 2005 when I discovered the beauty of streams and sopcast I watched pretty much all games, can't remember when I missed last one.

But the sad part is that I have never been at Old Trafford and it is one of the biggest wishes of mine. Still I think that I will surely fulfill this wish sooner rather than later. But it is surely frustrating watching United on TV when you wish so much to be there and cheer for the players.

Yeah...it's strange but I became a United fan from playing FIFA too. I knew nothing about their success but chose them when I was young and haven't looked back since. It's odd over here in the States...very rarely do I run into football fans (at least that I know of anyway). There are some Mexican restaurants in my area and I used to wear my Man United hat when I went there to eat so the people that work there would strike up a conversation about Football. They were interested in United especially during this time because of Chicharito. Of course, they are all Real or Barca fans but every time I go in there we talk about football. It's strange when that is your only outlet to talk about the game you love.

Another big difference from football over in the UK (perhaps all of Europe) vs. sports over in the States is the singing. I have been to several sports venues and aside from the National anthem and "Take me out to the ball game", there is absolutely no singing...especially about players. Aside from cheering when your team does something well...the atmosphere is pretty weak. From what I have seen of MLS, which is very little, the crowds are at least trying to replicate what is going on everywhere else in the world.

@ManUSarge
You are welcome. It would be worth reading up on it, or other terrace stories. I will be eye opening.
There was squalor, violence, camaraderie, humour, vitriol and comedy. Most of all passion that is hard to reproduce in seats where you may not be with mates.

I was actually in the seats of the north stand for this game (G stand I think), because my mum bought my ticket, and asked if I would be safe in the stretty, and someone told her no. I was gutted. Ended up a great view on the halfway line, and got crushed against Juve in the SF. Mum wasn't far wrong in her decision making.

What a match that must have been to be at!

save some cash and go. it's awe inspiring seeing them run out. saw my first match in the upper strfd end. i went every yr until it was getting too complicated. but go once.

Originally all the vocal supporters congregated in the 'Popular Side' which is now the North Stand.

That changed in the 1950's and 1960's particularly with the building of the Cantilever Stand and the Stretford End took over.

Definitely try and save up to go. We've won every match I've been too at Old Trafford but I'm sure for your first match the result wouldn't be as important, the experience of walking down to Old Trafford and going in, clapping the players as they come out, it's just.. :drool:

Ah Old Trafford is magical, you don't understandhow immense it is until you see it live. I remember my first match against Blackburn 09/10 season. Sat in the South stand and just walking up and seeing the pitch and the stadium from the inside is something I will never forget. I had a season ticket in the west stand 2011/12 and was there when we lost 1-6 to city :lol: Best home match was vs Liverpool that season with Eva celebrating about 3 meters away from me in front of Suarez after the whole incident between them two. I was also lucky enough to watch an away game vs Leeds! Whole different ball game that. The intensity was immense, I was drunk as feck in the away end surrounded by Leeds fans. The hostility was immense, and we sang for the whole match and 2 hours after Full-time. I try to watch United live at least once a year now, however I really want to see an away game again, the atmosphere our away fans create is absolutely brilliant and there's that sense of belonging that's difficult to describe. It was my first away and people just took care of me simply because I'm a red.
I need to move back to England :(

I'll probably come by this year or next for a game or two. Never mind a fancy game, any game will do. Will keep you in mind.

Definitely try and save up to go. We've won every match I've been too at Old Trafford but I'm sure for your first match the result wouldn't be as important, the experience of walking down to Old Trafford and going in, clapping the players as they come out, it's just.. :drool:

LOL - i can't say the same - was at the fulham match , old timers coming out saying it was the worst home performance ever. ruud out , fergie missing for a family thing , loads of injuries. but saw diego score. only loss i ever saw. best match was scholesy's 500th v the dippers. he scored in front of us , place went fecking mental. rio scored in the other end. had a couple of fixture chgs too due to fa cup replays which can f up your trip.