Individual player's best performance for United

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Not limited to the current squad because I was watching Scholes in the 6-2 against Newcastle in 2002/03 on Youtube, what are your choice for an individual player's best game for us?

People of course remember Keane against Juve in 1999 but what of others and what of the current squad?

Might go on a binge on MUTV but it'll probably make me lament the current team :lol:

Lee Sharpe vs Arsenal - Rumbelows Cup I think it was in about 1990. United won 6-2 with Lee getting a hat trick.

Scott McTominay off the bench with 3 minutes left v Brentford, he deserves a shout out for that.

Beckham vs Juve 1998/1999
Keane vs Fiorentina 1999/2000
Yorke vs Arsenal 2000/2001
Rooney vs Ac Milan 2006/2007

Scott McTominay off the bench with 3 minutes left v Brentford, he deserves a shout out for that.
I look at performance and impact as two different things especially things. He had a great impact and is his most memorable game but could be argue it's not his best performance. I actually liked Scotty under Ragnick.

It wouldn't be the best, but Beckham coming off the bench in his final Champions League game for us is one I'll always remember.

We lost on aggregate anyway, but it was right after bootgate and he ran around like a man possessed trying to repair the damage Ronaldo had done to us. He scored twice (although the second was on its way in I think) and he really made me believe we could overturn the 3-1 loss in Spain.

I’m struggling what to choose for Chicharito…I was going to choose the 2-1 win against Chelsea in May 2011.

For Van Persie, it’d probably be the 3-0 against Aston Villa. Or maybe also the 3-2 against Southampton.

Bruno’s best might be the 5-1 against Leeds.

Scott McTominay vs Liverpool FA Cup QF 2024.
Scored one, assisted one, won the header that started the counter attack for Amad’s winning goal.

Wayne Rooney away to Milan in 2010, dunked twice on Nesta’s and Thiago Silva’s heads.

De Gea away to Arsenal in 2018(?) when he made a dozen of worldie saves.

Cristiano Ronaldo vs Roma in the 7-1, absolutely tore them to shreds that night.

Roy Keane against Juventus was grand but he was just doing his job.

I thought that was of Michael Carrick's best games too, although he had so many that they almost go unnoticed, a class act.
I think my favorite Carrick game was away to Chelsea in the CL QF in 2011, him and Giggs were fantastic in midfield that night.

Rooney v Chelsea Champions League QF 2nd leg 2010/11

Ronaldo v Arsenal Champions League SF 2nd leg 2008/09

De Gea v Arsenal Premier League 2017/18

Valencia v Chelsea Premier League 2010/11

Rooney v Chelsea Champions League QF 2nd leg 2010/11

Ronaldo v Arsenal Champions League SF 2nd leg 2008/09

De Gea v Arsenal Premier League 2017/18

Valencia v Chelsea Premier League 2010/11
The Chelsea game in the Champions League was in the quarter finals.

Ronaldo debut against Bolton.

For an 18 year old making his debut I've never seen one player make such an impact to the game. He tore Bolton to shreds, in a game we struggled in before he came on.

The only thing missing was a goal, but he didn't need one. His contribution to that win was massive. He inspired everyone to give it their all, which is unheard of for such a young, foreign player.

The stadium was electric every time he was on the ball.

Has to be Keane vs Juve for me. Knowing he was out of the final yet still dragged us through the game.

Scott McTominay vs Liverpool FA Cup QF 2024.
Scored one, assisted one, won the header that started the counter attack for Amad’s winning goal.

Wayne Rooney away to Milan in 2010, dunked twice on Nesta’s and Thiago Silva’s heads.

De Gea away to Arsenal in 2018(?) when he made a dozen of worldie saves.

Cristiano Ronaldo vs Roma in the 7-1, absolutely tore them to shreds that night.

Roy Keane against Juventus was grand but he was just doing his job.
Didn’t Amad himself start the counterattack when he nicked the ball off Elliot?

Schmeichel vs Newcastle 96
Rooney vs Spurs 2009 - think he had a hand in all 5 goals
Keane vs Arsenal 2-1 99 Highbury (both goals and just never stopped running to drag us to victory)

Schmeichel vs Newcastle 1996
Schmeichel vs Inter 1999
Ferdinand vs Barca 2008
Keane vs Juve 1999
Beckham vs Juve 1999
Yorke vs Barca 1998
Stam vs Arsenal 1999
Giggs vs Juve 1997
Rooney vs Spurs 2009
Carrick vs Chelsea 2011 (UCL)
Scholes vs Barca 2008
Ronaldo vs Newcastle 2008
Cantona vs Spurs 1993
Kanchelskis vs City 1994
Berbatov vs Liverpool 2010
Van Nistelrooy vs Deportivo 2001

Picking the best games for players like Van Nistelrooy who scored 36 goals in his first season and 44 in his second, is nearly fecking impossible. But I remembered that Depor game because we were really struggling and just through a sheer combination of strength, force of will, and skill, he made us competitive.

Cantona is another that is stupidly difficult to pick. Personally loved his performance vs Porto in the CL, and my favourite ever cantona goal is his frankly absurd control and volley vs Wimbledon in the FA cup. One of the best goals I’ve ever seen. Yet, the great man himself says his favourite moment and performance is vs Spurs when he produced THAT pass to Irwin.

Rooney and Giggs are another two that are hard to pick. Both had games where they were unplayable and scored wonder goals, but for me, their very best performances came when they produced the goods by providing or scoring but also did the most of what they also did the best…..worked for the team. Rooney vs Spurs in that epic comeback from 2-0 at half time to win 5-2, he had a hand in every goal. He was everywhere, completely selfless and tireless and uttterly brilliant. Likewise, Giggs vs Juve.

Scholes was a player who was always just very very very good. And like Carrick, a lot of his very best work doesn’t make for a highlight reel. At least not the tempo controlling, midfield wizardry that I loved him for. Nevertheless, that 2008 performance against Barca where he held his nerve, always used the ball so intelligently, relieved pressure through pinpoint cross field balls, stayed disciplined defensively, and of course broke through to absolutely blooter that shot into the top corner from 30 yards….well that is a night of Scholesian folklore.

Most of the others are self explanatory.

I had coffee with Alan Smith recently, and he told me about the lead up to the Roma game and how he got picked for the team. If anyone is interested, happy to share.

Schmeichel vs Newcastle 1996
Schmeichel vs Inter 1999
Ferdinand vs Barca 2008
Keane vs Juve 1999
Beckham vs Juve 1999
Yorke vs Barca 1998
Stam vs Arsenal 1999
Giggs vs Juve 1997
Rooney vs Spurs 2009
Carrick vs Chelsea 2011 (UCL)
Scholes vs Barca 2008
Ronaldo vs Newcastle 2008
Cantona vs Spurs 1993
Kanchelskis vs City 1994
Berbatov vs Liverpool 2010
Van Nistelrooy vs Deportivo 2001

Picking the best games for players like Van Nistelrooy who scored 36 goals in his first season and 44 in his second, is nearly fecking impossible. But I remembered that Depor game because we were really struggling and just through a sheer combination of strength, force of will, and skill, he made us competitive.

Cantona is another that is stupidly difficult to pick. Personally loved his performance vs Porto in the CL, and my favourite ever cantona goal is his frankly absurd control and volley vs Wimbledon in the FA cup. One of the best goals I’ve ever seen. Yet, the great man himself says his favourite moment and performance is vs Spurs when he produced THAT pass to Irwin.

Rooney and Giggs are another two that are hard to pick. Both had games where they were unplayable and scored wonder goals, but for me, their very best performances came when they produced the goods by providing or scoring but also did the most of what they also did the best…..worked for the team. Rooney vs Spurs in that epic comeback from 2-0 at half time to win 5-2, he had a hand in every goal. He was everywhere, completely selfless and tireless and uttterly brilliant. Likewise, Giggs vs Juve.

Scholes was a player who was always just very very very good. And like Carrick, a lot of his very best work doesn’t make for a highlight reel. At least not the tempo controlling, midfield wizardry that I loved him for. Nevertheless, that 2008 performance against Barca where he held his nerve, always used the ball so intelligently, relieved pressure through pinpoint cross field balls, stayed disciplined defensively, and of course broke through to absolutely blooter that shot into the top corner from 30 yards….well that is a night of Scholesian folklore.

Most of the others are self explanatory.

I had coffee with Alan Smith recently, and he told me about the lead up to the Roma game and how he got picked for the team. If anyone is interested, happy to share.
I'd love to hear your Smudge story. :D