If you had to show one football match to make somebody fall in love with football, what would it be?

The second leg of our tie against Atlético in 2016. Best football match I’ve seen.

Manchester United 7-1 Roma

Also that crazy 4-4 game between Liverpool and Arsenal where Arshavin delivered an all-timer performance.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Juventus 2–3 Man Utd in the treble season.

The landlord of my old local in York reserved the tables in front of the TV for me as it was my birthday. Happy Days.

99 semi final is a great one.

Both 4-3s against city, and Liverpool in the cup last season had intense periods of drama.

The 2007 home semi final against Milan was an amazing game. 3-2 turnaround, with kaka and Rooney on top form.

among usual shouts, 8-2 win vs Arse. not only because of the number of goals, but most of them were great as well.

I would go United vs Madrid 4-3 at Old Trafford!! Ronaldo Hattrick & Beckham drama.

Man United 4-3 Real Madrid.

That game basically changed English football after Roman Abramovich watched it

2009 Manchester derby (owen winner), --world cup final 2022
-liverpool vs milan in istanbul
These three sprung to mind

Man United games that haven't been mentioned yet as far as I can see:

the win over City 4-3 with the Owen goal
The 3-2 win at their home turf with that RVP deflected free kick at the death
The Steve Bruce game with the 2 headers
Our win against pool in the 4th (5th?) round of the FA Cup in 1999
The win against Villa with Macheda scoring the winner
Southampton winning 6-3 against us

Non Utd games:

Argentina-France 2022 WC final
Holland-Argentina WC 1998
Real-Barca 2005
Barca-Atletico Madrid 5-4 (1997)
Chelsea-Bayern CL game, 2004
Chelsea-Barca also from 2004 iirc, with the Ronaldinho goal-while-standing on one foot
Bayern-Dortmund CL final
Italy-Germany WC semi final
Germany-Sweden 4-4
Arse-Pool 4-4
Arse-Newcastle 4-4

Liverpool-Crystal Palace 3-3 an epitome of football joy/heartache hehehe

Last edited:
Yep this is mine. Had everything

Exactly! The two best teams in the country facing off, United just 1 point ahead of Arsenal in the league table on the night after they couldn't be seperated in the first game.

United lead through Beckham, a superstar of of world football. Arsenal equalise (Bergkamp), another global name, then Keane as United's captain gets sent off. It's going to be a struggle for United from then on. Arsenal get a stoppage time penalty and it looks like it's all over only for Schmeichel to come up with the save from Bergkamp, one of the league's iconic players who had scored 22 out of 24 penalties at the time in his career. Giggs, one of the league's gretest ever players then wins it in extra time with one of the best goals ever.

Add in the pace and physicality of that era of football alongside the technical skill, I think that period of football had the perfect blend, and it was just brilliant.

Also helps that I was a younger fella, 20 years old at the time. We all love our youth! I went ballistic over that one.

Last edited:
There were a couple 4-3 belters with Newcastle and Liverpool back in the Keegan days. I doubt I’d pick them for THE game, but can’t think of another off the top of my head, maybe the recent WC final with France and Argentina

Man. United 3-4 Real Madrid in 2003 got Abramovich fully invested in actually buying a club....

Such a great question! The first game that came to mind was United over Juve 2-3. The second game that came to mind was United 4 Arsenal 2 -- the tunnel match.

The game had much greater charismatic figures in 20-30 years ago than it does now, an era that began with the dreadful tiki taka and has devolved since then into tactics ad nauseum. There are lots of entertaining games to watch these days, but in general football matches today are almost tedious to watch compared to what we were treated to on a regular basis from the late 60s to the early 2000s.