Music I just started trying to learn guitar...

Pickle85

and my God it's hard. I'm trying to practice 45 mins a day and have so far been doing nothing but grinding out A, E, D, G and E minor chords over and over until I know instinctively where they all are. This means I can play a very slow and rather horrible rendition of Kumbaya and very little else. My fiance started off very supportive but casually asked me the other day when I'd learn to play something else. My fingers are blistered to feck and even my dog leaves the room when it sees me reach for the guitar bag. To all you multitalented caf folk:

- I'm learning with Guitar for Dummies but does anyone know of any particularly good YouTube resources?

- How long did it take you to become even slightly proficient?

- Any tips aside from these (ideally guitar related and none involving throwing the guitar in a lake or chopping it up for firewood)?

When I gave it a try, I used JustinGuitar. Lot of tutorial videos, different practices and exercises and various songs to practice the chords you learned.

As with all things in life I lacked discipline and persistence to practice so I'm still shit

When I gave it a try, I used JustinGuitar. Lot of tutorial videos, different practices and exercises and various songs to practice the chords you learned.

As with all things in life I lacked discipline and persistence to practice so I'm still shit
This looks really good, thanks. Some pretty solid endorsements too...shall give it a bash.

It took me six months when I was 16 and yes it sounded awful and I the bar chords were beyond me at first but you get there in the end if you persevere.

I'm going to give you the advice my gramps gave me before he passed away (he loved the guitar). Always spend good money on shoes or a mattress because if you're not in one you're in the other.

It took me six months when I was 16 and yes it sounded awful and I the bar chords were beyond me at first but you get there in the end if you persevere.
Thanks mate...there's hope for me yet then, I guess.

I'm going to give you the advice my gramps gave me before he passed away (he loved the guitar). Always spend good money on shoes or a mattress because if you're not in one you're in the other.
He sounds like a smart man...tenuous connection but sound advice.

Also,

There are no real shortcuts, every cheat to get round the difficult bits, is just something you have to unlearn later.

Pick tunes you like and sing along because then people listening will criticise your singing and that is less discouraging somehow.

When you get to the point that your wife/girlfriend asks you to play and visitors think your playing is coming from the radio you are getting there.

Lastly, its worth it. I have been playing for forty years and still love the way it takes my mind off things although I now have to learn nursery rhymes again for my grand kids who insist on twanging the strings while I am playing just like my sons did.

Also,

There are no real shortcuts, every cheat to get round the difficult bits, is just something you have to unlearn later.

Pick tunes you like and sing along because then people listening will criticise your singing and that is less discouraging somehow.

When you get to the point that your wife/girlfriend asks you to play and visitors think your playing is coming from the radio you are getting there.

Lastly, its worth it. I have been playing for forty years and still love the way it takes my mind off things although I now have to learn nursery rhymes again for my grand kids who insist on twanging the strings while I am playing just like my sons did.
Love this, thanks buddy. The guy i got the guitar off had played for a similar amount of time and it clearly gave him enormous satisfaction. Perseverance will be the key!

Yeah it's torture. Well it was for me.

One of my kids picked up in weeks. The little witch could learn chords just by looking at them in a book, without even holding a guitar.

I no longer play the guitar.

Just learn to play some songs you like. You don't have to stick to beginner songs, you play anything once you know the basics.

If you keep playing those considered starter songs, you will bore yourself. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll pick it up when you actually enjoy it and stop worrying about the difficulty.

One of my kids picked up in weeks. The little witch could learn chords just by looking at them in a book, without even holding a guitar.

When I learned, I found a book of chords a lot more useful than online lessons.

OP start learning the major scale because suddenly chord structures will make sense and you can learn something less painful

:lol: don't you hate people like that (well, unless they're your kids, I suppose)?! Some people just pick it up and it seems to make sense to them. I am not one of those people.

Just learn to play some songs you like. You don't have to stick to beginner songs, you play anything once you know the basics.

If you keep playing those considered starter songs, you will bore yourself. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll pick it up when you actually enjoy it and stop worrying about the difficulty.
Decent tip, that. I've been thinking i need some kind of quick win to stay interested and this may be it.

When I learned, I found a book of chords a lot more useful than online lessons.

OP start learning the major scale because suddenly chord structures will make sense and you can learn something less painful
I got the Dummies book, which leads me through chords but shall take a look at scales too, ta. Kinda hoping my pathetic, childlike hands toughen up soon too...

This looks really good, thanks. Some pretty solid endorsements too...shall give it a bash.
I learnt through Justin Guitar too. I can still pick a guitar and play the chords or riffs.

I really recommend learning through ear as soon as possible once you get through the beginner stage.

I just learned by looking at tabs of songs I liked. Lots of great songs are simple enough. This may not be the "right" way but imo it's better to start out doing something fun, rather than learning scales and chords without really having the context for them.

Learning chords and scales is also easier later rather than earlier, once you've already got to grips with the guitar. Plus you'll naturally pick up a bunch of chords as they appear in the songs you learn

I learnt through Justin Guitar too. I can still pick a guitar and play the chords or riffs.

I really recommend learning through ear as soon as possible once you get through the beginner stage.
+1 for Justin. Sounds a winner to me...thanks.
I just learned by looking at tabs of songs I liked. Lots of great songs are simple enough. This may not be the "right" way but imo it's better to start out doing something fun, rather than learning scales and chords without really having the context for them.

Learning chords and scales is also easier later rather than earlier, once you've already got to grips with the guitar. Plus you'll naturally pick up a bunch of chords as they appear in the songs you learn
Yeah, think I'll start incorporating this into the more rigid, formal approach soon. As you say, little less soul destroying than the more by the numbers approach

and my God it's hard. I'm trying to practice 45 mins a day and have so far been doing nothing but grinding out A, E, D, G and E minor chords over and over until I know instinctively where they all are. This means I can play a very slow and rather horrible rendition of Kumbaya and very little else. My fiance started off very supportive but casually asked me the other day when I'd learn to play something else. My fingers are blistered to feck and even my dog leaves the room when it sees me reach for the guitar bag. To all you multitalented caf folk:

- I'm learning with Guitar for Dummies but does anyone know of any particularly good YouTube resources?

- Any tips aside from these (ideally guitar related and none involving throwing the guitar in a lake or chopping it up for firewood)?

Which type of guitar are you learning on.
Look. I am over 70 and almost 2 years ago had a stroke which affected my left hand and finger coordination and function.
I have been trying to learn to 'play' my guitars. Initially I used an acoustic, a really cheap one and more recently I bought an electric one.

It is significantly more difficult than I ever expected.
Like you, I have been practicing chords and scales.
I have to be one of the worst ever to play a guitar and it is very frustrating how slow and inaccurate I am.

So. Don't give up because it will gradually improve.
My biggest problem is that I love listening to Pink Floyd David Gilmour and try some of his solos. But in comparison, I am totally shit.

I've been playing for 15 years now and I would say the key at the beginning is to practice little but regularly.

What I mean is that 45 minutes is quite a lot if you've just started, and it's hard to keep that up. I'd say something like 15 minutes is better, but the trade off is you must do those 15 minutes every single day. That way the practice becomes a habit, and you have a chance of getting past the initial difficult stage through to a point where you will actually enjoy playing (eventually calluses develop on the fingers of your fretting hand which will make holding down the strings less painful).

The practice then becomes less of a chore and more something you look forward to. But you have to start small and regular IMO or there is a high likelihood that you will just quit, especially if you are starting as an adult.

In terms of what you should start out learning, I'd echo others here and say that you should maybe learn chords and then try to play some of your favourite songs that are on the simple side. There's many books, videos etc for chords and songs but one instruction book which I like is called the Maran Illustrated Guide to Guitar. Generally, I think it's better to have books with photographs in them (or imstruction videos) because it's easier to copy the hand positions you see than figuring out tabs etc.

BTW, I should stress that I'm not a guitar teacher and i've never instructed anyone, that's just how i did it. Now I can easily sit down and play for 3 or 4 hours, but for the first year at least I just did 15 minutes every day. I timed myself and when the 15 minutes was up, I put it down. But I did it daily and the progress was notable even though the practice sessions were short. I'm self-taught but there's nothing wrong with enlisting a teacher as a good one will get you to where you want to go much faster. But even the best teacher in the world is of no avail if you don't practice regularly.

In answer to your question, I'd say it takes about 3 months of regular practice to be actually able to play some songs (there are many well known songs which are very simple to play) and about a year to develop a bit of skill beyond the elementary. Beyond that it's never ending, I'm sure Johnny Marr thinks he's woefully short on guitar knowledge......

Learn basic Theory early
Keep your thumb at the back of the neck
Don't avoid Barre Chords
Chordify is good when you get basic chords down

I’d say first thing is decide what kind of music you want to do. Rock, funk? Then get an electric. It’s physically easier. If you get an acoustic keep the strings around 11mm (medium gauge). Strum; learn right hand technique, a variety of rhythms, even around just one chord.

A big learners’ threshold is learning to play the chord of F (with double barre).

Right at the start, learn Em, A, D and G chords; then invest time to practice changing smoothly between them. Get a metronome (you can get a free app for phone). Play every day. You will get there.

Learn basic Theory early
Don't avoid Barre Chords
Good advice. Learn the names of notes on fretboard. Learn to play up the neck (not as hard as it sounds).

Just keep practising the chords at first. It doesn't take long for muscle memory to build up, pretty soon you'll find you can change without thinking.
Playing along with simple songs worked for me. Old rock n roll and 50's and 60's Rhythm and Blues is great for learning, they're all pretty much three chords.

Which type of guitar are you learning on.
Look. I am over 70 and almost 2 years ago had a stroke which affected my left hand and finger coordination and function.
I have been trying to learn to 'play' my guitars. Initially I used an acoustic, a really cheap one and more recently I bought an electric one.

It is significantly more difficult than I ever expected.
Like you, I have been practicing chords and scales.
I have to be one of the worst ever to play a guitar and it is very frustrating how slow and inaccurate I am.

So. Don't give up because it will gradually improve.
My biggest problem is that I love listening to Pink Floyd David Gilmour and try some of his solos. But in comparison, I am totally shit.
Fair play to you mate...cracking work on sticking with it and genuinely inspirational. I'm learning on a Tanglewood acoustic. Also LOVE Floyd... Wish you Were Here is on my list of songs to figure out when I'm much better.

I've been playing for 15 years now and I would say the key at the beginning is to practice little but regularly.

What I mean is that 45 minutes is quite a lot if you've just started, and it's hard to keep that up. I'd say something like 15 minutes is better, but the trade off is you must do those 15 minutes every single day. That way the practice becomes a habit, and you have a chance of getting past the initial difficult stage through to a point where you will actually enjoy playing (eventually calluses develop on the fingers of your fretting hand which will make holding down the strings less painful).

The practice then becomes less of a chore and more something you look forward to. But you have to start small and regular IMO or there is a high likelihood that you will just quit, especially if you are starting as an adult.

In terms of what you should start out learning, I'd echo others here and say that you should maybe learn chords and then try to play some of your favourite songs that are on the simple side. There's many books, videos etc for chords and songs but one instruction book which I like is called the Maran Illustrated Guide to Guitar. Generally, I think it's better to have books with photographs in them (or imstruction videos) because it's easier to copy the hand positions you see than figuring out tabs etc.

BTW, I should stress that I'm not a guitar teacher and i've never instructed anyone, that's just how i did it. Now I can easily sit down and play for 3 or 4 hours, but for the first year at least I just did 15 minutes every day. I timed myself and when the 15 minutes was up, I put it down. But I did it daily and the progress was notable even though the practice sessions were short. I'm self-taught but there's nothing wrong with enlisting a teacher as a good one will get you to where you want to go much faster. But even the best teacher in the world is of no avail if you don't practice regularly.

In answer to your question, I'd say it takes about 3 months of regular practice to be actually able to play some songs (there are many well known songs which are very simple to play) and about a year to develop a bit of skill beyond the elementary. Beyond that it's never ending, I'm sure Johnny Marr thinks he's woefully short on guitar knowledge......
This is really useful. I'd be lying if I said that 45 mins was pleasurable...hands are usually wrecking by then and getting frustrated as hell, so shall not be as rigid there. And shall make sure the practice is regular. I want it to become muscle memory, eventually.
Learn basic Theory early
Don't avoid Barre Chords
The thumb thing is really helpful. I've been a bit at sea with where to position the digits. Tbh I'm really struggling with A because I can't figure out how the feck it's possible to play three notes on adjacent strings on the same fret without either deadening a string with a finger accidentally. I have fat fingers.
I’d say first thing is decide what kind of music you want to do. Rock, funk? Then get an electric. It’s physically easier. If you get an acoustic keep the strings around 11mm (medium gauge). Strum; learn right hand technique, a variety of rhythms, even around just one chord.

A big learners’ threshold is learning to play the chord of F (with double barre).

Right at the start, learn Em, A, D and G chords; then invest time to practice changing smoothly between them. Get a metronome (you can get a free app for phone). Play every day. You will get there.
Bought an acoustic so locked into that unfortunately, but good to know I'm along the right lines with the chords. It's the transitions that my brain isn't computing atm but good call on the metronome.
Just keep practising the chords at first. It doesn't take long for muscle memory to build up, pretty soon you'll find you can change without thinking.
Playing along with simple songs worked for me. Old rock n roll and 50's and 60's Rhythm and Blues is great for learning, they're all pretty much three chords.
Nice, that's good to know. Just gonna keep plugging away. I'm keen to be able to play simple, passable 12 bar blues.

Practice is absolutely essential, as @Andrade says. I realised with my latest musical instrument adventure (sax) that that's why I was never much good on the piano, violin, uke or flute - I just didn't practice regularly.

I can't stress how much difference it makes. Of course, it's not easy to find the time to build it into your daily routine, if you're having to go to work, look after your kids etc.

Are you playing an acoustic guitar? If so, sell it and get an electric one. The reason is, the frets are wider apart and the neck is usually wider on an acoustic, plus the "action" (how much you have to push a string to get it to sound the note) is a lot higher on an acoustic. All that means it's harder to learn on an acoustic. It's less comfortable and you fingers will hurt a lot more.

To build up your fingertip calluses, just put them on the fretboard, press a string, and slide them up and down the neck. It will take a few days, but in less than a week, your fingers will stop hurting.

In terms of developing your playing ability, pick which path you want to take: 1.) play guitar at social gatherings; 2.) play along to songs you like at home; 3.) play in a band; 4.) write your own songs. For 1 & 2, just pick up any book with "Easy Songs for Guitar" in the title. These will have open chords that work more or less like the real chords the real songs used. People will be able to recognize what you're playing. For 3 & 4, search YouTube for tutorials on proto-punk and post punk songs. "Loose" by The Stooges. "Blitzkrieg Bop" by Ramones. "Wasted" by Black Flag. Then move on up to Wire and Sex Pistols. You have to play simpler songs (that are still amazing) before playing whichever power ballad will melt your fiancé's heart. If you want to learn songs that are more about notes than chords, two I started with were "The Puppet" and "Do It Clean" by Echo & The Bunnymen. Simple songs you can figure out in about 5 minutes. If you're a fan of Joy Division or New Order, virtually all of their guitar parts are the E-maj barre shape.

Oh yeah, you will need to learn the E barre shape and the A barre shape. You can cheat this with just using your index and ring fingers.

What I found is that the more songs you know how to play, the more you know how to play guitar. That sounds obvious or like a joke, but for years I played classical guitar and even blues guitar trying to figure out the secrets of the fretboard and tritones and soloing in key and all kinds of horseshit that didn't translate into being able to pick up the guitar and play a song. Get that electric guitar, plug into a 10W amp, and get an effect pedal that has some thickening quality like chorus or delay or overdrive or distortion.

And play every day. Have the guitar out in the open and every time you walk past it, pick it up and play something.

Later on, you can study chord progressions and tone theory and practice scales. Chances are, by the time you've learned 10 to 15 simple songs, you'll "know" enough about those things anyway.

Start with learning this solo and work back...

Sweep picking is such a cop out.

@Pickle85 if you can't learn it in a week then just give up. That's been my philosophy in life since I tried to become an astronaut. Failing that just learn as much as possible from as many different people as possible. There's no wrong options, it's all about building up dexterity and muscle memory.

Practice is absolutely essential, as @Andrade says. I realised with my latest musical instrument adventure (sax) that that's why I was never much good on the piano, violin, uke or flute - I just didn't practice regularly.

I can't stress how much difference it makes. Of course, it's not easy to find the time to build it into your daily routine, if you're having to go to work, look after your kids etc.
Thank you! Practice practice practice...I'm not known for my perseverance so having this reinforced is useful. Good luck with the sax!

Start with learning this solo and work back...

Yeah, no sweat, got that down in lesson one. He plays it a bit slowly though huh?!

Are you playing an acoustic guitar? If so, sell it and get an electric one. The reason is, the frets are wider apart and the neck is usually wider on an acoustic, plus the "action" (how much you have to push a string to get it to sound the note) is a lot higher on an acoustic. All that means it's harder to learn on an acoustic. It's less comfortable and you fingers will hurt a lot more.

To build up your fingertip calluses, just put them on the fretboard, press a string, and slide them up and down the neck. It will take a few days, but in less than a week, your fingers will stop hurting.

In terms of developing your playing ability, pick which path you want to take: 1.) play guitar at social gatherings; 2.) play along to songs you like at home; 3.) play in a band; 4.) write your own songs. For 1 & 2, just pick up any book with "Easy Songs for Guitar" in the title. These will have open chords that work more or less like the real chords the real songs used. People will be able to recognize what you're playing. For 3 & 4, search YouTube for tutorials on proto-punk and post punk songs. "Loose" by The Stooges. "Blitzkrieg Bop" by Ramones. "Wasted" by Black Flag. Then move on up to Wire and Sex Pistols. You have to play simpler songs (that are still amazing) before playing whichever power ballad will melt your fiancé's heart. If you want to learn songs that are more about notes than chords, two I started with were "The Puppet" and "Do It Clean" by Echo & The Bunnymen. Simple songs you can figure out in about 5 minutes. If you're a fan of Joy Division or New Order, virtually all of their guitar parts are the E-maj barre shape.

Oh yeah, you will need to learn the E barre shape and the A barre shape. You can cheat this with just using your index and ring fingers.

What I found is that the more songs you know how to play, the more you know how to play guitar. That sounds obvious or like a joke, but for years I played classical guitar and even blues guitar trying to figure out the secrets of the fretboard and tritones and soloing in key and all kinds of horseshit that didn't translate into being able to pick up the guitar and play a song. Get that electric guitar, plug into a 10W amp, and get an effect pedal that has some thickening quality like chorus or delay or overdrive or distortion.

And play every day. Have the guitar out in the open and every time you walk past it, pick it up and play something.

Later on, you can study chord progressions and tone theory and practice scales. Chances are, by the time you've learned 10 to 15 simple songs, you'll "know" enough about those things anyway.
Thanks, really helpful. I want to be able to eventually write something myself. I am gonna stick with the acoustic for now, simply because I'm too lazy to hop on ebay and unload it and research electrics but those are some sound suggestions for songs to get started, thanks. Shall keep the guitar in view and do as you say.
Sweep picking is such a cop out.

@Pickle85 if you can't learn it in a week then just give up. That's been my philosophy in life since I tried to become an astronaut. Failing that just learn as much as possible from as many different people as possible. There's no wrong options, it's all about building up dexterity and muscle memory.
This resonates with me until now more than I care to admit...!

I am exactly the same. Starting lessons a few weeks back and I am awful, like tone deaf awful, but in a few months I hope to be slightly less awful.

Fair play to you mate...cracking work on sticking with it and genuinely inspirational. I'm learning on a Tanglewood acoustic. Also LOVE Floyd... Wish you Were Here is on my list of songs to figure out when I'm much better.

This is really useful. I'd be lying if I said that 45 mins was pleasurable...hands are usually wrecking by then and getting frustrated as hell, so shall not be as rigid there. And shall make sure the practice is regular. I want it to become muscle memory, eventually.

The thumb thing is really helpful. I've been a bit at sea with where to position the digits. Tbh I'm really struggling with A because I can't figure out how the feck it's possible to play three notes on adjacent strings on the same fret without either deadening a string with a finger accidentally. I have fat fingers.

Bought an acoustic so locked into that unfortunately, but good to know I'm along the right lines with the chords. It's the transitions that my brain isn't computing atm but good call on the metronome.

Nice, that's good to know. Just gonna keep plugging away. I'm keen to be able to play simple, passable 12 bar blues.

Good luck and stick with it mate, it's genuinely one of the best things you'll ever do

You're right. He should blow into a sack made from a sheep's skin like a real man.
=
@Pickle85 while I was joking about learning that solo, I do think it's an idea to try to learn songs you like rather than rote learn "newbie" chords until you die of boredom and blisters.
Oooh, that's racist against sheep. Not having that.

Most dogs are terrified of guitars, especially acoustics, so don't take it too hard.

You may already know this, but the following might help.
There is a separate thread in the General section called something like - Any Guitar Players Here. And there is a lot of useful advice.

Have you tried to fit the SOFTEST strings. Mine came with strings that were quite hard and hurt my fingers. Soft strings are much easier for practicing.

Have you lowered the string height. It is relatively easy to lower them and you could do this if you are going to change strings.
There are videos on YT showing how to do that.
Just means you don't have to press so much with your fretting fingers.

Best of luck.

You may already know this, but the following might help.
There is a separate thread in the General section called something like - Any Guitar Players Here. And there is a lot of useful advice.

Have you tried to fit the SOFTEST strings. Mine came with strings that were quite hard and hurt my fingers. Soft strings are much easier for practicing.

Have you lowered the string height. It is relatively easy to lower them and you could do this if you are going to change strings.
There are videos on YT showing how to do that.
Just means you don't have to press so much with your fretting fingers.

Best of luck.
I didn't know that, thanks, shall check it out. I'm using the ones that came with it which, to my pathetic, untutored fingers, certainly don't feel soft! Shall look at changing when I restring.

Completely agree regarding an electric guitar. They are quite a bit easier to play, especially if you fit soft strings. And actually a lot more fun.
There are some inexpensive ones just for practicing.
I am no expert. But I did buy a Rock Jam electric guitar from Amazon for £70. And to my untrained ear it actually sounds ok. It is a strad look alike.
Anyway. It is perfectly good enough just to learn on.
Just a thought.

I didn't know that, thanks, shall check it out. I'm using the ones that came with it which, to my pathetic, untutored fingers, certainly don't feel soft! Shall look at changing when I restring.

Why wait and struggle. There are lots of places you can buy a set of soft acoustic strings online and it is relatively easy to change.
Also, think about checking the string height. Mine was far too high causing me having to press down too hard. You can lower it by taking out the Bridge which is the white strip close to where the strings go in. Definitely worth the effort.