Film Horizon: An American Saga

Hoof the ball

Comprises of four films. It's the culmination of a forty year old dream of Kevin Costner. Part 1 releases in June. Part 2 in August.

Explores the lure of the Old West and how it was won — and lost — through the blood, sweat and tears of many

Has anyone else seen this yet?

I saw it last night and thought it was really good.

Excellently constructed and although minimal parts of the acting could be questioned (Costner has mentioned previously the vast number of speaking roles across the four films), the film just moves seamlessly and I am looking forward to the next part.

The scenery and backdrop are fantastic too and you can see how much pride he has taken in his work.

I've previously said (and will continue to do so) that three hours is very long for a film and it needs to be incredible to justify the runtime, this isn't 'incredible' but the time did fly.

Has anyone else seen this yet?

I saw it last night and thought it was really good.

Excellently constructed and although minimal parts of the acting could be questioned (Costner has mentioned previously the vast number of speaking roles across the four films), the film just moves seamlessly and I am looking forward to the next part.

The scenery and backdrop are fantastic too and you can see how much pride he has taken in his work.

I've previously said (and will continue to do so) that three hours is very long for a film and it needs to be incredible to justify the runtime, this isn't 'incredible' but the time did fly.

I did read some reviews without spoilers which said this is basically just a set up, introducing everyone and everything, whereas the next one starts the story properly. Makes sense if there's that many characters TBF.

I actually can't wait to see it. Will be my first venture to the cinema in years.

I did read some reviews without spoilers which said this is basically just a set up, introducing everyone and everything, whereas the next one starts the story properly. Makes sense if there's that many characters TBF.

I actually can't wait to see it. Will be my first venture to the cinema in years.

Yeah I think that's a fair statement and the final scene in particular
introduces a character who goes on to become a main character in the following chapters

I don't think the film is for everyone - a couple of people in my screening weren't quite sure what to make of it as we were walking out but I think it's a concentration thing, there's lots of interweaving things going on so you have to keep your wits about you.

I need to watch this. I'm a big fan of Yellowstone and it's got me into these western type of films/series.

But mainly I'm hoping it does really well for him, given the amount of his own money he has put on the line to make this. It seems to be a dream of his and he's leveraged a lot of his assets and money to make it happen, you can only applaud the guy for taking such a risk.

I'll definitely go see it at the cinema soon and hope it does well but isn't it a bit of a weird time of the year to release this kind of film?

Also, will all parts be released so close to each other?

It completely bombed and apparently he wants to make 4 movies. Mark Kermode seemed very unimpressed and said it was boring as hell.

I'll definitely go see it at the cinema soon and hope it does well but isn't it a bit of a weird time of the year to release this kind of film?

Also, will all parts be released so close to each other?

Chapter Two comes out next month I believe.

I think the third and fourth film are dependent on the success of the first two.

It completely bombed and apparently he wants to make 4 movies. Mark Kermode seemed very unimpressed and said it was boring as hell.

To be fair movies is one of the most subjective things you can discuss. Bit like football really :).

He watches a lot of films but it's still only his opinion. I find myself agreeing with him around 60% of the time.

I haven't seen/heard his review of Horizon but will check it out to see what in particular he thought was boring as I thought the opposite, never really takes its foot off the gas.

To be fair movies is one of the most subjective things you can discuss. Bit like football really :).

He watches a lot of films but it's still only his opinion. I find myself agreeing with him around 60% of the time.

I haven't seen/heard his review of Horizon but will check it out to see what in particular he thought was boring as I thought the opposite, never really takes its foot off the gas.
I don't necessarily always agree with Kermode either but when he really doesn't like a film I generally don't like it either. it's more the films he loves I sometimes think are a bit shit (e.g. Infinity Pool, he loved it but I thought it was crap).

Looked like typical Costner sanctimonious, egotistical tripe.

Last edited:
Kermode's a very good reviewer and Author.
Enjoyed all his books so far.

The problem I guess with a professional film reviewer, especially someone with as many years in the game as Kermode is that people will use his reviews to make a desktop decision on whether to see a film or not.

To be fair I haven't seen or heard anything from Kermode for quite a while but now I've been reminded he exists I will go and check out his recent stuff!

Yeah it's a lovely film overall, beautifully shot and quite clearly a work of love. Like with most good films, the runtime isn't a problem at all, even with seeing it at the latest showing of the day. There's a few issues with it that I'll mention below, but on the whole I was really glad to see it at the cinema and I'll absolutely go see the next one. Some of the cinematography is gorgeous.

My minor issues with it:
- as was a risk with this type of film introducing many characters, you don't really have the chance to grow attached to any of them and in that regard, the film lacks a bit of heart; that might be rectified going forward, as the characters continue to be fleshed out onscreen, but as of the end of that film, I'm not sure I care so much about any of the characters;
- while the film itself didn't feel long, some individual scenes/stories felt a bit dragged out and unnecessary - though that's in light of this first film, depending on what comes next, it might all come together;
- the sort of mini trailer at the end of the film was a little bit strange;
- not a minor one, but I just find the narrative and representation of native Americans in these films baffling, and don't understand how in 2024 this still happens; while the end of the film started to introduce them as being victims
(with the scene of the attack on the Indian village and subsequent scalpings)
, overall they're presented as a menace, violent, with very little balance in showing how their lands were being stolen from them, and how brutally they were persecuted - though again, with the caveat that it's a saga so maybe that's something he wants to examine afterwards? But even in that case, it's still problematic

Most of the minor issues I have with it will likely be addressed as the saga continues, but it's nice to see something this sprawling and ambitious being produced - seems like it's somewhat flopping so it's a shame if the following 2 can't be made.
Looked like typical Costner sanctimonious, egotistical tripe.
How so? Is that the type of person Costner is?

I'm watching this now.

Costumes too clean is a massive bug bear.

Two hours in and no real story yet. Busy movie but nothing to hook

Just finished watching it. Enjoyed it overall. There is a huge cast of characters though. Amazing cast in it too

Mr Proctor is played by the guy that played Jesus in the Walking Dead
The guy that played the baddie in Stranger Things s4 is also in it

I'm watching this now.

Costumes too clean is a massive bug bear.

Two hours in and no real story yet. Busy movie but nothing to hook
In general it did somewhat lack grittiness. Some of the actors/actresses looked perfect and all done up even after slaughter scenes. For me it was more a minor thing but yeah it was notable.

There's no real story, but there's loads of little stories, which I guess was the aim of this first installment.

In general it did somewhat lack grittiness. Some of the actors/actresses looked perfect and all done up even after slaughter scenes. For me it was more a minor thing but yeah it was notable.

There's no real story, but there's loads of little stories, which I guess was the aim of this first installment.

Really annoyed me - Sienna Miller must have a clause to look beautiful - she never looks bad even after carnage.
The shiny hair and great teeth too.

I mean the wild west was dirty, and there were horses everywhere and I'd expect horse shit everywhere .

Really annoyed me - Sienna Miller must have a clause to look beautiful - she never looks bad even after carnage.
The shiny hair and great teeth too.

I mean the wild west was dirty, and there were horses everywhere and I'd expect horse shit everywhere .
I'm fine with Sienna Miller looking gorgeous always, though :)

She was the one I was thinking of - even when they dig her out of under the earth where she spent a whole night she still manages to look gorgeous and stylishly covered in dirt :lol: I don't know who the actress who played her daughter was, but they definitely looked like they could be related.

Funnily enough, that sentence is about as accurate an assessment as it gets of what the wild West actually was.

It's not one event or one epic narrative, it's thousands upon thousands of little stories of all different kinds of people finding their way in an unexplored land. It's a mosaic. This is what made the Buster Scruggs movie so good, I think; because the wild West is, historically, anthology.

If Costner is going for that, he's thematically correct.

I'm fine with Sienna Miller looking gorgeous always, though :)

She was the one I was thinking of - even when they dig her out of under the earth where she spent a whole night she still manages to look gorgeous and stylishly covered in dirt :lol: I don't know who the actress who played her daughter was, but they definitely looked like they could be related.
yes she is a very good pick for the daughter.

The daughter of a recently widowed woman that takes about 15 minutes to move on to the next man

yes she is a very good pick for the daughter.

The daughter of a recently widowed woman that takes about 15 minutes to move on to the next man
:lol:

In fairness, Sam Worthington is hot.
Funnily enough, that sentence is about as accurate an assessment as it gets of what the wild West actually was.

It's not one event or one epic narrative, it's thousands upon thousands of little stories of all different kinds of people finding their way in an unexplored land. It's a mosaic. This is what made the Buster Scruggs movie so good, I think; because the wild West is, historically, anthology.

If Costner is going for that, he's thematically correct.
That's an interesting take, agree!