Hannibal Mejbri image 46

Hannibal Mejbri Tunisia flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just too ill-disciplined to be top level. Too much of a liability. The talent is there but it won’t be at any Europa League level club.

Just can't trust a player always walking the tightrope of a red card. Most of the chances he has gotten he has sabotaged himself by being too rash and having to come off at HT because he can't tackle and get stuck in after being booking within 5 minutes.

Gives me Guendouzi vibes at Arsenal, and not for the physical likeness, but moreso that his mentality is too much an impediment to having a career here.
Aren't those issues more connected with his time at youth level? For the first team, I think there was one match where he got aggrevated but thats it - and to this extent it happens with Bruno or Rashford too. Not even starting with Antony or Garnacho

Scored a good goal but averaged our 2nd least passes per 90 mins in the time he was given, behind Hojlund with the least. Hannibal had 25.6. Granted he played an unfamilliar right side of a diamond while we had injury problems but needs to get on the ball and move it around more than that.

Now he did average 42.8 at Sevilla, but there he played even less than here so even less of a sample.

I 100% believe he just needs time on the pitch to get used to playing in the premier league. I dont think he'll do worse than Amrabat has done when hes played, or McTominay's performances from starting. Another along with Gore that I'd be more than happy to see play a bunch of games instead of those senior first teamers
Same here. Its why I am so flustered about the followership for players like Eriksen, McTom and Amrabat. I mean, I appreciate them as well but they are taking minutes away from people who at least still have potential to be useful in the future. Even if they fail, at least you know and you can sell them so there is no actual downside of it. There would be if we would compete for trophies, but we aren't which makes it even more odd to "keep XYZ as a squad player" . Like why? For what?

Looks like Collyer maybe the one to get the opportunity this season.

Not the type of player I want us to focus on bringing through. Runners are quite cheap to buy if you want one, more technical and better passers are more expensive and if we have them at the club in the youth then we can at least give them a chance and even if they arent the level we want longterm their fee will be more than that time spent playing runners. Before anyone suggests Ugarte is a runner, he's a player who wins the ball a lot. Competing for the ball is his speciality.

I said this when we had McTominay coming through. A pretty good example actually, even though he's had a season of being a very good goalscoring sub and a good goalscorer for Scotland, Arsenal have more interest and more money offered for Smith Rowe.

Also we have an expensive runner in Mount so that should cover any bases we might need because we need him have a better season.

From the little i have seen for him he is good as Willy Kambwala.

I'd like it if we give chances to lads like this and then sell them if they aren't good enough.

Players like Pereira, Elanga, Pellestri, Kambwala etc. I didn't think Alvaro Fernades got a chance here so wasn't sure about his sale but if the staff saw him as not good enough then this is another example of making some money or making a good use of a player either way.

We have a very good young bracket of players coming through & you cant be sure that everyone makes it here so getting the best use of them in both ways is good - tried, tested & then sell or keep.

I'd stop focusing on playing the first XI for the Carabao Cup & maybe even the Fa Cup. We need to focus more on the league now & need to give chances to players like Vitek, Collyer, Hannibal, Amass etc.

Aren't those issues more connected with his time at youth level? For the first team, I think there was one match where he got aggrevated but thats it - and to this extent it happens with Bruno or Rashford too. Not even starting with Antony or Garnacho
I definitely think there's a lingering reputation based on a spell in the youth team when he was being kicked all over the place and was the one getting red cards for his eventual reaction.

At senior level, he's played almost 100 competitive games for club or country and never been sent off once in his career so far. Yet because, like many midfielders, he often walks the tightrope after picking up a booking in games (see our own Casemiro and Fernandes for that!) then there's reasoning sprung up that you can't pick him because he's always a red card waiting to happen.

For me, it's another example of young players and 'what if' moments. ETH clearly prefers other players in Hannibal's best position (#8, box to box). And after a quite a good loan spell at a good level - the championship - and established himself in his national squad, he was building up some momentum. We should have either kept him and given him a proper chance in the squad, or looked at a good loan for the season. Instead he hung around for 6 months losing that momentum and then went on a poor loan choice. And so he's wasted a crucial year and has now also dropped out of the international squad.

It's highly unlikely that he'll get a proper chance here next season, so now it seems very much about picking the right club for him to get game time and the opportunity to play as a #8 and showcasing his ability on the ball as well as his work rate off it.

It's a shame, as I'm sure there's a Man United level player in him - or at least PL level - but he needed to be well handled to polish that large amount of raw potential. But the situation hasn't been well managed at all. Hopefully he'll kick on starting from this season, but sadly it not looks like that will definitely be elsewhere.

Not the type of player I want us to focus on bringing through. Runners are quite cheap to buy if you want one, more technical and better passers are more expensive and if we have them at the club in the youth then we can at least give them a chance and even if they arent the level we want longterm their fee will be more than that time spent playing runners. Before anyone suggests Ugarte is a runner, he's a player who wins the ball a lot. Competing for the ball is his speciality.

I said this when we had McTominay coming through. A pretty good example actually, even though he's had a season of being a very good goalscoring sub and a good goalscorer for Scotland, Arsenal have more interest and more money offered for Smith Rowe.

Also we have an expensive runner in Mount so that should cover any bases we might need because we need him have a better season.

Collyer is not just a runner though

Mount has outstanding technique. Everything in a pretty reasonably post just got totally undermined by this absurd last paragraph.

Again, never appeared on the bench even a single time for Port Vale.

Do you know how google works?

Genuine question, why keep posting things that are wrong and not just take the 10 seconds to google it when you clearly have no idea about a topic?
Did he play the full game for Port Vale in his one appearance or did he start and then get subbed?

Maybe underplaying him but isnt Ugarte primarily an aggresive runner and we arent in cheap negotiations for him?

Whether agreeing or not with your assesment of Collyer,we have bought the likes of Garnacho and Mainoo through and there are the likes of Fletcher and Lacey possibly to come...the players coming through are potentially far moreexciting than for a long time and its a range of players.

Like the case of Hannibal who personally I would keep in the squad, no guarantees they make it....but we have put more emphasis into youth thelast few seasons addingthe likes of Amad and Pellestri...so just because Collyer is the one mentioned for this season, isan odd assesment

Maybe underplaying him but isnt Ugarte primarily an aggresive runner and we arent in cheap negotiations for him?

Whether agreeing or not with your assesment of Collyer,we have bought the likes of Garnacho and Mainoo through and there are the likes of Fletcher and Lacey possibly to come...the players coming through are potentially far moreexciting than for a long time and its a range of players.

Like the case of Hannibal who personally I would keep in the squad, no guarantees they make it....but we have put more emphasis into youth thelast few seasons addingthe likes of Amad and Pellestri...so just because Collyer is the one mentioned for this season, isan odd assesment

59a5a2d57119d5be14d62ac69f0d3631.png

You tell me... If a player makes 99th percentile tackles and 96th percentile interceptions, pretty much the most in any league I think they are clearly one of the best ball winners out there and that stands out more than being a distance runner. Collyer so far is making more fouls than tackles or interceptions. But he's got a good attitude running into defensive situations which looks his clear strength. It just isnt one that you need to develop in squad. You can buy a player who has 3 or 4 years or experience doing it and who has got better in that time.

For example I dont think you'd pay Ugarte money for Harrison Reed. For Mount as well we obviously paid for his goals and assists in past seasons as well as the running. Same thing with Conor Gallagher now, he is a runner but he's got a bit of end product again like he had in his loan spell in the past. And Same with McTominay. If they were just doing their running without goals or assists they'd probably be available for £10 million or so especially if you looked in other countries for those players - I guess that can be the argument for why it might still be worth developing a young player who is mostly a runner even if they are cheaper, because they are English and will be counted as home grown then theres English tax. But still I think its more forward thinking to try and develop the young players that the better sides would want in their midfield so that if they dont make it their transfers would go some way towards funding us buying the player we do want in that style. A bit like City selling Douglas Luiz without playing for them for £14.2 million and putting it towards the just under £60 million they paid for Rodri

And I'm just talking about midfielders btw. Again going back to when McTominay was in his first few seasons in the first team, we were playing him when we had players who could do more with the ball were not being played. And players like Garner who moved on after because now hes an established first team midfielder and the young midfielders dont get the games to impress like he was given. Garner, Gomes, etc if they had been given the experience McTominay was given instead I think we'd be a better football team and if we decided to sell them to fund our Rodri type signing in that scenario of having the experience and exposure of McTominay in his stead they'd be commanding higher fees. Now obviously we were offered 30 million last summer for McTominay but so far only 17 million this summer, I do still think it would have been more for the better ball playing midfielders if one of them they had 100 of his now 250 matches for United in experience and exposure.

Really frustrating how little genuine chances Hannibal gets to play in his proper position.

Yet again today, of all the players that featured (20+), only 2 played seriously out of position - and of course Hannibal was one of them!

After Hojlund's injury, he was just sh*t upon really - being given a 30 minute run out to every one else's 45, and yet again playing this pointless role of a false 9. That is not in any way a role Hannibal is suited to. Just so frustrating seeing all the other players (apart from Scanlon) get run outs in their proper positions, while Hannibal yet again set up to fail in a completely unsuited position.

For whatever reason, ETH just won't play him in a deeper role where he can get on the ball and either drive forward or play forward passes - the very things he's good at.

Really frustrating how little genuine chances Hannibal gets to play in his proper position.

Yet again today, of all the players that featured (20+), only 2 played seriously out of position - and of course Hannibal was one of them!

After Hojlund's injury, he was just sh*t upon really - being given a 30 minute run out to every one else's 45, and yet again playing this pointless role of a false 9. That is not in any way a role Hannibal is suited to. Just so frustrating seeing all the other players (apart from Scanlon) get run outs in their proper positions, while Hannibal yet again set up to fail in a completely unsuited position.

For whatever reason, ETH just won't play him in a deeper role where he can get on the ball and either drive forward or play forward passes - the very things he's good at.
Especially since EtH seems to have identified his main “project” in Collyer, whilst a different type of player, he is also less polished than Mejbri. Mejbri has had the experience of playing domestic and international men’s football and has done well enough in those matches. I don’t think if I’m overthinking but I feel as though the club has written Mejbri off and are just using him to fill up the numbers and hoping he attracts buyers in the meantime. Hugely frustrating but this isn’t the first time and certainly won’t be the last.

If we are trying to create a market for him, it's not working out by playing him upfront every pre-season.

The kid needs to leave and try develop a career at the lower level. I don't think he is good enough for even the championship level. Doesn't have the skills and is too petulant & arrogant.

If we are trying to create a market for him, it's not working out by playing him upfront every pre-season.

The kid needs to leave and try develop a career at the lower level. I don't think he is good enough for even the championship level. Doesn't have the skills and is too petulant & arrogant.
He’s not petulant and arrogant.

He’s a talented lad with a bit of an attitude, not a bad one too. He’s just never been utilized properly by ETH. He’s much better operating from deeper positions in midfield. It’s shocking that he keeps getting shunted upfront when he was so good against Wrexham in preseason last year.

I think some blame also has to go with Darren Fletcher and our coaches at youth level. Fletcher's role was to transition youth players to first team players, and so there had to be discussions with Ten Hag about Mejbri's best position or the position he is more likely to feature as a first teamer. Secondly, I didn't like how he was moved to a more attacking role in our youth setup. I don't mind doing this, but with a clear emphasis on him still playing the vast majority of his matches in his natural position. He was a clear #8 coming from Monaco, was performing well there, and was then moved further up rather quickly. Maybe because Mejbri was already playing as an attacker, Fletcher viewed Mejbri as an attacker and relayed that message to Ten Hag.

If we want to sell him, I think it makes the most sense to inflate him best by letting him play his best position. You're not going to do that by letting him chase balls up top all preseason.

Last night isn't the game to judge him on of course, but he's just barely shown anything in any of his senior appearances to suggest he'll ever be more than a passion merchant at the top level.

I think it's probably about time to move him on. Hopefully he can still thrive at a good level, like Elanga has, but it's difficult to see him becoming United quality at this stage.

If we're not going to give him a chance in a deeper role, we need to sell him. He simply has all the wrong instincts when playing further forward, not knowing when to come to the ball and what positions to take up. That gets worse the further forward we push him.

Hannibal should be sold, I don't see a future for him when there are other young players who seems to have more potential. For his career, he needs to be playing regularly.

Will be useful for some team in some decent league because he runs hard and has the skills to draw a ton of fouls (though not the burst to run away from defenders) and that sort of thing can help tactically a lot, but it almost surely won't be here.

Will be useful for some team in some decent league because he runs hard and has the skills to draw a ton of fouls (though not the burst to run away from defenders) and that sort of thing can help tactically a lot, but it almost surely won't be here.
He also has good passing and vision for linking up in attacks and playing some through balls - similar to the one to set up Wheatley.

We haven't seen enough of that here with the senior team - largely due to the role he's been tasked to play on the rare occasions he features - but it's definitely a big game of his game when allowed to display it.

Last I heard was that Celtic may be interested in his services. Personally I think that'll be a great move.
Can see him gaining some success in the SPL.

Last I heard was that Celtic may be interested in his services. Personally I think that'll be a great move.
Can see him gaining some success in the SPL.
I agree. Chuck in a buyback fee and high percentage on sale clause. EtH doesn’t seem to rate him at all ahead of the other academy midfield options so there’s no point wasting him here.

I think some blame also has to go with Darren Fletcher and our coaches at youth level. Fletcher's role was to transition youth players to first team players, and so there had to be discussions with Ten Hag about Mejbri's best position or the position he is more likely to feature as a first teamer. Secondly, I didn't like how he was moved to a more attacking role in our youth setup. I don't mind doing this, but with a clear emphasis on him still playing the vast majority of his matches in his natural position. He was a clear #8 coming from Monaco, was performing well there, and was then moved further up rather quickly. Maybe because Mejbri was already playing as an attacker, Fletcher viewed Mejbri as an attacker and relayed that message to Ten Hag.

If we want to sell him, I think it makes the most sense to inflate him best by letting him play his best position. You're not going to do that by letting him chase balls up top all preseason.
It might be that he was misjudged by our coaches, it might also be that they thought his abilities were best developed higher up the pitch. That might be right and it might be wrong.

I think it’s important to keep in mind in a transition to the first team, the youngsters who the coaches have the most belief in will be matched carefully with more mind to their developmental needs than to the team needs often, while a talent a bit further in the back of the queue will be played were the team needs someone from situational dependence more often.

It seems to me Ten Hag and his team had a different opinion on the developmental needs of the talent brought in under Solskjær (Shoretire, Mejbri, Amad), and so far only Amad has developped to a level were he deserves to be prioritized in his best position. Garnacho and Mainoo in the meanwhile have been prioritized, and we see signs of Collyer and to a degree Amads getting that treatment now.

Seems to me Hannibal has never really shown enough in youth setup/games/training/loans to convince the coaches that he is worth betting on, and has more and more been used as a utility player with a mind to get some handy fee for at a point in time unless he really kicks on and surprises.

Yep, it’s time for Hannibal to move and develop an identity and make a contribution to a midtable club.

If he stays I hope he gets chances in the Mainoo role. I still think there is quality there and he hasn't been given a good run in the team. We're set to lose Scott and maybe Eriksen too, if we get Ugarte in that's still room for one more midfielder. Maybe we sign someone but maybe the solution is in house.

Status
Not open for further replies.