Footballs greatest gunslingers

Skills

Snitch
Extremely adventurous players, with a huge risk appetite - for who'm when it comes off, they are outright single match winners. However, when they're not on it - they're actually detrimental to their teams.

Bruno Fernandes? Obviously a fantastic player, who takes a huge amount of risk, constantly looking to play the killer pass - but when he's not on it, he's a turnover machine. What other great players can you liken to that over the years?

tenor.gif

Is it even a profile of player that existed? Bruno stands out because possession football has been such a part of the last 10 years for top sides.

However, in the past you had a much more general go-for-it attitude. Wingers taking on their man and probing passes from midfield were commonplace. Direct (not long ball) football was kind of the predominant style at least in England.

Nani. Problem was that I don't think even he knew what was happening most of the time.

I think O. Dembele fits that description very well. He gives the ball away a lot, sometimes in really frustrating fashion, but (at least when on form) he also has passes and dribbles that kill the opposition.

Must admit, Bruno Fernandes is certainly not a player who comes to mind when I'd bless one with the gunslinger title.

Alvaro Recoba had a big gun when he could be arsed slinging it.

Thought about Ruben Sosa and Gheorge Hagi but they're probably a bit too good for the thread.

Steven Gerrard was like that, when he was on it was very annoying to watch for a United fan, but if you got him on the wrong day he could be piss poor. That 2014 Chelsea game, a top exercise in Stevie Me. 2006 FA Cup final - when it works.

Wouldn’t gunslinger be your sharp shooter, striker type? My mind immediately went to Ruud van Nistelrooy when I saw the thread title.

Last edited:
Nani (tad bit unfair)
Hatem Ben Arfa
Andy Carroll
Ballotelli
Cassano

Last two especially. Two of the best footballers I’ve ever seen live. Precocious, patchy, wildly inconsistent with their top level form being Ballon D’Or worthy and worst performances at Dog & Duck level. Often within the same game week.

I saw Cassano a handful of times, two or three of those he looked immaculate and ran the game in the manner Messi so often did.

I might be a bit off here but from what I seen of him platini seems to have had a tendency to go all in at times so I won't mind to be corrected over here if im off the mark.

Probably not gonna be a popular opinion but latter day Giggs was a player that could be so wasteful in possession but could find killer passes when things went right. I really rate his contribution to some of our later title wins and i think he was a crucial player at times during his mid-late thirties, especially with his assists, but he could be extremely wasteful as well.

Probably not gonna be a popular opinion but latter day Giggs was a player that could be so wasteful in possession but could find killer passes when things went right. I really rate his contribution to some of our later title wins and i think he was a crucial player at times during his mid-late thirties, especially with his assists, but he could be extremely wasteful as well.
Ryan Giggs definitely fits your that description and I’ve always likened the way Bruno plays with how the older Giggs did. Always looking forward and trying the difficult pass. Giggs could dribble though.

He who aims with his foot, has forgotten the face of his manager. He aims with his eye.

He who shoots with his foot, has forgotten the face of his manager. He shoots with his mind.

Ronaldo = Roland

Geovanni - at Hull for those 2 seasons.

And

Asprilla - for about 6 months

Ricardo Quaresma on his day was unplayable. Would humiliate anyone.

I cannot embed it but look up "Goal! Andy van der Meyde. 19.03.2003. AS Roma - Ajax" on youtube.