Footballing Brain, What is it?

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
Down in the Newbies an insightful poster named RN007 brought up the topic of what exactly is a footballing brain. This is a topic on football which has the most polarized opinions.

Is a footballing Brain having an eye for the killer pass like the one Rooney gave to Carrick in our controversial demolition of Spurs or is it the ability to time runs to perfection and know where to pop up to score a goal like Cristiano Ronaldo, Henry or a certain Ruud

Does it come into the Category of being able to utilize Space when dribbling to help you beat defenders effortlessly, leaving them incompetent to stop you as you glide past them with effortless ease like a certain Lionel Messi, Andres Iniesta, Ricardo Kaka or how Zidane used to do it in slow motion or how R9 used to do it at extreme pace.

For me having a footballing brain is encompassed by any of these 3 criteria and a few more which are all different yet equally important characteristics. A thread like this can be useless without videos to help analyze so I would like to explain the 3 different aspects in a bit more detail.

1)The Killer Pass/Vision
This is an extremely important component when discussing a footballing brain and mid-fielders are usually the best at this attribute. It consists of the ability to split defences and make balls nobody in a packed stadium could have envisaged. An example from this season would be Rooney's brilliant through ball to Carrick or Messi's little dink to Henry against Madrid's flat back four in the 6-2 historical victory. They are the kind of balls that make you get up on your feet and applaud. Nobody in the stadium or those watching at home see it coming; only the player does. At times it can even confuse the players’ team mate on the pitch who just can not think on the same level.

Something clicks inside the players’ brain as the opportunity presents itself and out comes a sublime ball that the defence is powerless to stop.

This is one of my favourite ones from Ronaldinho when he was still in his prime:

It is absolutely staggering, after a wrestling match with Gattuso, who is one of footballs genuine hard men he still has the composure and vision to pick out what can only, be described as the 'perfect' ball. I remember getting up holding my head in disbelief when I first witnessed this audacious ball. Back then I really could not think there was a better player than Ronaldinho in world football as this just seems to come natural to him.

The whole stadium does not see the pass coming as he fools everybody causing the Italian media to praise him after the game despite their representative team losing. There are many examples of this including Scholes audacious chip to Rooney in our 3-2 win against Ac Milan. Something that lives forever in your memory and you cold tell your grandchildren about the day you witnessed it.

Another good illustration for me has to be Kaka's turn and pass that curls around the helpless Liverpool defence in the Champions League Final 2005. A piece of glorious skill that is simply world class:

There are many more fantastic examples but then we would simply be here for a whole year if I could show them all.
Where did he come from?

This next part is all about being at the right place at the right time and making runs that drive the defenders crazy. For me Ruud was a legend at this skill as was Van Basten and may other great strikers. When utilized to its full effect it can be just as devastating as the two amazing passes I have just shown you and just as unexpected. Sometimes it is hard to express what one means in words so I have the perfect example:

This has to be one my favourite goals I have ever witnessed at United. Not because he has beaten 100 men or because it is a rocket from 40 yards but just because that he ran 35 yards just to get on the end of that ball and the defence did not expect it neither the surprised commentator and neither did I! It shows how making runs or being in the right place at the right time is also an extremely part of the enigma that is 'the footballing Brain.'

Nobody can question the footballing brains of players like Ronaldo, Henry, Ruud or to a certain extent Michael Owen because they know where to be at the right place at the right time which can be an absolute nightmare for opposition defenders and nothing is sweeter than when this skill takes the opposition by surprise leaving them scratching their heads.

How many times had Henry been wrongly called offside when he played in the Premiership just because the linesmen could not keep up with his perfectly timed run. The way he would stand in an offside position them quickly come back onside to escape in one sweet,fluent motion was footballing intelligence at its finest.

Hack Him Down!/The art of dribbling

The Hardest skill in football is to beat a man

These are the words of Manchester United icon Roy Keane who realizes the difficulty of beating people on the football pitch but some players do it with such ease that you can only scratch your head at how they do it. This skill mostly belongs to wingers, strikers or attacking mid fielders.

In my opinion, in this current generation the best player at beating people with relative ease and grace goes to a Certain Lionel Messi. One on one, he is a defenders nightmare. What am I saying? 5 ON ONE he is defenders nightmare.

The way he manipulates Space leaves defenders helpless as he attacks it and shields the ball at the same time. He apparently has the best dribbling success rate in the world as he has perfected the art. There is even a video on you tube of the diminutive Argentine beating players left right and centre at only 5 years old. He was born to dribble; nothing comes more natural to him.

This skill is an essential part of what creates a footballing brain because it can open up spaces, chances and opportunities when there was none before. It is a very important component to have in my opinion. Carrying on with the tradition of this post here is an example of the many thousands there are out there.

With a bit more luck this could have been a serious contender for the goal of the season. Just a little shimmy and defenders are taken out of the picture which shows how important intelligence is required for this skill. The ball is consistently glued to his foot whilst beating people conveying how he always knows what he is doing and is in complete control at all times. It is very significant because it can lead to goals and scoring chances in the same way the other two important criteria I have listed earlier can. When utilized properly it can be deadly as or even deadlier than having fantastic vision or being at the correct place at the right time.

For me the greatest at this of all time was Diego Maradona who used to make defenders look compltely clueless.

The best of the rest

To summaries these factors are what I think are the most significant toward making up the footballing brain but there are many others including the much underrated art of defending. In this sense Rio Ferdinand has one of the best footballing brains in the world. A defenders ability to shift creative players out of games can be a essential. Another great example of this is defenders that do not particularly depend on pace but can deal with the very fastest of attackers.

Making crucial interceptions or just refusing to be beaten by a pacy winger can be one of the hardest skills in football and is also a very important factor in what makes a footballing brain. It is no wonder that most players that become managers are ex-defenders.

We also tend to underestimate what goal keepers do, the ability to decide whether to come off the line to collect crosses or the ability to make the right decision when shot stopping like Victor Valdez in the champions league final 2006 against Henry is a much underestimated part of the discussion. Goal Keepers have a very large responsibility and their reading of the game must be spot on for them to be good at what they do.

One poster even suggest experience counts as well but from what I have seen a footballers decision making can be as erratic as wen he first came into the game despite playing for many years.

I ask you, what are your opinions on what a footballing brain is and which players are the best examples?

Footballing brain is the intelligence of a player playing in his position. Intelligence required for playing centre back is different than one for winger.

We normally talk about footballing brain is the vision (quite literally sometimes, vision), creativity and skill to pick out a killer pass. There was a documentary on Wayne Rooney a while ago, which they said that United have a training department dedicated to improving the peripheral vision of players.

Basically footballing intelligence is something that Nani doesn't have (yet).

Being able to make the best possible pass or decision. It is difficult when you're down on the ground, while if you're watching on tv or in the stands, it's easy to see.

Very simply, it's knowing the correct (or best option) thing to do in a given situation on the football field

I think this summarizes it best. I think there is a lot of emphasis on passing but knowing when to dribble can be just as important in opening teams just as knowing when to shoot when there is an opportunity instead of being selfless which can ultimately let a goal escape from you.

We talk a lot about intelligence and we usually are thinking of attackers but what about defenders and goal keepers as for them to be world class t their position, they must have a high reading of the game, at least in their department.

This is, without doubt, the best post I've read on any football forum. The only thing that is missing is the perfect clip of the perfect defender in action, but I appreciate that this isn't the easiest to find on youtube.

I'd like to add my favourite clip of a perfect footballing brain in action:

This is, without doubt, the best post I've read on any football forum. The only thing that is missing is the perfect clip of the perfect defender in action, but I appreciate that this isn't the easiest to find on youtube.

A sublime piece of improvisation, if he had scored it would have gone down as one of the best goals ever scored in world football. This is football intelligence of the very highest tier, nobody had seen anything like it.

Didn't Jesper Blomqvist do that once, and score? I'll try find it

:lol: It was still a sublime piece of improvisation, one for the Pele highlight reel. To be honest I really do not know why he did not score but the accuracy of the shot does not take away from the vision shown by Pele to completely bamboozle the keeper.

He feigned the ball and the keeper didn't read it

It was a nice piece of play, but thousands of players have done similar, and scored too. In fact I've scored a belter on the Sunday League pitch doing similar myself

I think this is where the Pele love gets a bit silly. A bit like the famous half way line shot he missed again. All makes up the 'Pele legend'. He missed for fecks sake! Anyone can do that and miss!

He feigned the ball and the keeper didn't read it

It was a nice piece of play, but thousands of players have done similar, and scored too. In fact I've scored a belter on the Sunday League pitch doing similar myself

I think this is where the Pele love gets a bit silly. A bit like the famous half way line shot he missed again. All makes up the 'Pele legend'. He missed for fecks sake! Anyone can do that and miss!

I guess it is mostly because he did these skills on the biggest platform in world football which is the world cup and also at a time where nobody had really seen such audacious skills. It was brought to many people watching over all over the world seeing things like this for the first time. I think these are just a small part of the 'Pele legend'. We mostly remember Pele for his amazing dribbling, sheer athleticism and the fact he scored over 1000 goals and won the World cup on 3 different occasions.

I see what you are saying about this particular skill though, I think Torres did something quite similar when scoring against Newcastle which was a very good but not quite up to the same standard.

In the USA at least I would say this is a footballing brain

stewie-football.jpg

I guess it is mostly because he did these skills on the biggest platform in world football which is the world cup and also at a time where nobody had really seen such audacious skills. It was brought to many people watching over all over the world seeing things like this for the first time. I think these are just a small part of the 'Pele legend'. We mostly remember Pele for his amazing dribbling, sheer athleticism and the fact he scored over 1000 goals and won the World cup on 3 different occasions.

I see what you are saying about this particular skill though, I think Torres did something quite similar when scoring against Newcastle which was a very good but not quite up to the same standard.

Haha, don't make me expose the 1000 goals myth again, I've done it before on here...

Fair enough about the timing and the stage. And I'm not doubting he was an amazing player. It's just odd for such an amazing player, two of his most remembered moments are this miss after rounding the keeper, and his miss from the half way line

And of course, he won the World Cup three times PLAYING FOR BRAZIL. With many extremely gifted Brazilian players, who may well have won the World Cup without his presence

By all means appreciated Pele for the magnificent player he was. But let's feck the myths and the bollocks off yeh? As Nillson said, let's not be overating things because Pele did it

Yeah he has done more with less than almost all players, Im not saying that as a slight on Paul Scholes just saying that there have been players with more talents physically that havent reached anywhere near his heights. I hope all the United youngsters learn more from him in the next year or two because he reads the game so well, hopefully some of it rubs off on some of the up and coming players, Anderson most of all, even thoguh he has great vision, his decision making and movement could both improve. If he does that we are looking at a pretty mych world class player, if his movement improves he will score goals, and if his shooting improves, hell he will be an ACE

Paul Scholes has shown time and again that he has this so called "footballing brain"

And he's a brilliant example because he shows his football brain even without a ball at his feet. He has a gift for making space, he makes it easier for other players to play just by his movement, and his team mates also trust him to receive the ball from them even when he has one or two men on his back, because they know he'll work the ball out of that situation

Haha, don't make me expose the 1000 goals myth again, I've done it before on here...

Fair enough about the timing and the stage. And I'm not doubting he was an amazing player. It's just odd for such an amazing player, two of his most remembered moments are this miss after rounding the keeper, and his miss from the half way line

And of course, he won the World Cup three times PLAYING FOR BRAZIL. With many extremely gifted Brazilian players, who may well have won the World Cup without his presence

By all means appreciated Pele for the magnificent player he was. But let's feck the myths and the bollocks off yeh? As Nillson said, let's not be overating things because Pele did it

You have to remember alot of Pele's goals were not actually captured on actual footage for the entire world to see but it is well documented that he scored some absolutely stunning goals and was a real gem of a player. Because they were not seen does not dispute that they happened. He even asked for one of his goals to be made digitally because it was that fantastic. This is why his two misses are genuinely overrated, it is because they were seen by the entire world.

From the footage I have seen and what I have read Pele truly had it all and he was also a very talented play maker which is underrated because of the sheer amount of goals he scored. He said in his autobiography that one of his gifts is his peripheral vision and to see things on th pitch nobody else could notice.

Any defender who went up against him has always said how it was simply impossible to stop the lad, we all remember how he was completely kicked out the world cup 66 because with him there was simply no other way to defend.

I really wish he had played in Europe when the big clubs tried to sign him because it would have settled alot of arguments on whether he was the greatest once and for all. If he did not score 1000 official goals it was still very close to that amount and is still amazing by any body's standards.

Tbf he was the standpoint player on those sides though. It's like saying United would had this great period without Ronaldo in the side, possible, but not probable

I really wish he had played in Europe when the big clubs tried to sign him because it would have settled alot of arguments on whether he was the greatest once and for all. If he did not score 1000 official goals it was still very close to that amount and is still amazing by any body's standards.

Bah... :smirk:

To definitively clear up the Pele '1000 goal' records...

http://www.footballdatabase.com/index.php?page=player&Id=7113&b=true&pn=Edson_Arantes_do_Nascimento

His 'competitive games' count totals 667 goals in 745 games, for club (Santos mainly) and country (Brazil, obviously). A cracking record. For most of his career though, Brazil didn't have a national championship, most of his goals were clocked up in the 'Sao Paolo State' championship, which I think is the equivilent of United competing against the likes of Bury, Rochdale, Altrincham etc. Anyone who listens to five live's South American footy expert Tim Vickery in the early hours of Saturday mornings will have heard him refer to said championship as 'glorified friendlies'.

His '1000' tally arrives when you factor in all the goals he scored in friendly games.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/printthread.php?t=143230

Figure stated is 1,279 goals in 1,367 games. Many of these goals came against European opposition, as Santos jaunted around making money Harlem Globetrotters style. But look at the scorelines, these weren't competitive games, they were exhibition stuff. Now when we list todays goalscorers, how many friendly games do we include in the numbers? None. So to claim Pele is the worlds all time greatest player for the number of goals he scored is false for me. Claim he's the best because of his skill and what he did for Brazil by all means, but the 1000 goals business is nonsense for me.

Again, it's another instance of wondering why we can't just appreciate that amazing goal scoring tally for what it was, bearing in mind the questionable opposition some of those goals were scored against, rather than this silly 1000 goals bollocks. We don't count friendly goals for any other player, so why does Pele get that treatment?

Sheringham has a football brain. Scholes has it, and Cantona also has it. Its all about decision making, doing the right thing at the right moment, in the right position, with good anticipation and vision.

I would agree with whats being said, however footballing genius is different,something more, this is the ability to create something out of nothing, an opportunity which has been created solely by the individual which was only visible to them and expressed by their unique style of play

the thing with the two pele misses that makes them stand out is that he was the first to try them and this then opened things for other players to try similar things.
its like the cruyff turn, its nothing that special anymore as you can see blokes with beer bellies on a sunday morning stinking of last nights ale doing it down the local playing fields for their pub team, but back when cruyff did it the world sat back opened mouthed with astonishment.

It's the ability to choose the right option when under pressure.

To position yourself in contests/use good body work in said contests instinctively.

The ability to make space or provide an option when one's needed.

etc.

Fundamentally the brain is designed to solve problems and make decisions.

So a good footballing brain could include

- working out how an opponents tactics is affecting the play and counteracting this by changing positions, role, or style

Bryan Robson was fantastic at this and controlled the tempo of the game

- when to pass and when to tackle

Scholes is great at the first and crap at the second

- reading the game and making interceptions

Rio

- seeing danger and communicating to others

Fletcher

- making the killer pass

Carrick, Scholes are great but Nani very poor

- knowing when to up the tempo of the game and when to slow it down

I think Keane and Beckham did this really well

Very simply, it's knowing the correct (or best option) thing to do in a given situation on the football field

But surely the players with stand out 'football brains' like Gascoigne, Scholes, Sheringham etc often do things on the spur of the moment - things which aren't necessarily the 'correct' or 'best' option but things no other player would have thought of - that's what makes them great... If what you said were true then it would be possible to teach it but I think the really great players are working mainly on instinct...

Doing the unexpected is key in my opinion, it illustrates intelligence on different levels to the rest of everybody else. Here are two examples from a fallen hero who has one of the best footballing brains the world has ever seen:

although I feel he was over-rated by many: Dalglish. A footballing brain if ever there was one. Crafty bastard, basically. Streetwise. But many players who were far better footballers in a way that took the breath away, like Greaves, Law, Best.

But surely the players with stand out 'football brains' like Gascoigne, Scholes, Sheringham etc often do things on the spur of the moment - things which aren't necessarily the 'correct' or 'best' option but things no other player would have thought of - that's what makes them great... If what you said were true then it would be possible to teach it but I think the really great players are working mainly on instinct...

No, what I said doesn't contradict that at all

The best option in a situation might be the instinctive flicked ball over the top to put your team mate through on goal. It then comes down to whether the player has the nous and execution to pull it off, and of course those great players you listed would. But you don't have to be capable of that to show you have a good football brain. Someone like Makalele shows it purely by his reading of the game, breaking up the oppositions play