Florian Albert passed away

cinc

Albert, who was 71 and the only Hungarian player to ever to win the Golden Ball (in 1967) died this morning of heart failure.

He was one of the best ever Hungarian players and certainly the best Ferencvaros player ever. He was also one of the best in the 1960s.

I was lucky enough to know him, rest in peace Flori bacsi!

This video was made for his birthday a mere month ago:

Denis' cuff

sad to hear that - I suppose that generation of players are getting on now.

I went to Goodison as a kid in '66 to see Brazil - and expecting to see Brazil and Pele/Garrincha etc duly despatch Hungary. What a performance from the Hungarians. Albert had such a graceful style about him, along with Ferenc Bene and iirc their centre-half Metzoly/Farkas?? scored a cracking volley to beat the Brazilians 3-1. A memorable night. In their group games vs Portugal and esp Bulgaria, Brazil were kicked out of the tournament but Hungary beat them on pure football terms. The same group were also based at Old Trafford but the games there were a bit nondescript.

cinc

I went to Goodison in '66 to see Brazil - and expecting to see Brazil duly despatch Hungary. What a performance from the Hungarians. Albert had such a graceful style about him, along with Ferenc Bene and iirc their centre-half Metzoly?? scored a cracking volley to beat the Brazilians 3-1. A memorable night. In their group games vs Portugal and esp Bulgaria, Brazil were kicked out of the tournament but Hungary beat them on pure football terms. The same group were also based at Old Trafford but the games there were a bit nondescript.
I've seen that game a few years ago (its legendary over here, almost as highly regarded as the 6-3 in Wembley 1953), amazing match that was.

I've only seen him play at his 50th birthday game in 1991, but my father kept telling about him, and I was completely starstruck when I got to know him a few years ago. Such a loss.

Denis' cuff

just been watching some stuff from that match on Youtube - there's loads of stuff on there.

United were knocked out of the Fairs Cup semis by Ferencvaros around the same time when we were probably a bit complacent and expected to go through. The Hungarians beat us in a replay in Budapest after two dour legs ended up even.

We seem to have a habit of losing European sf games to "underdogs"

The Hungarians produced some fabulous players with Puskas, Hideguti, Albert and Bene.

cinc

just been watching some stuff from that match on Youtube - there's loads of stuff on there.

United were knocked out of the Fairs Cup semis by Ferencvaros around the same time when we were probably a bit complacent and expected to go through. The Hungarians beat us in a replay in Budapest after two dour legs ended up even.

We seem to have a habit of losing European sf games to "underdogs"

The Hungarians produced some fabulous players with Puskas, Hideguti, Albert and Bene.
And Kocsis, Kubala, Sarosi, etc,

To be honest, that 1965 Ferencvaros team was one of the best teams at that time, they were hardly underdogs, they have beaten Juventus in the final (in Torino), while 3 years later in the final of the same competition Leeds United only beaten them by a goal that was the result of a foul on the keeper (even Sir Stanley Rous acknowledget that).

I'll post in a few Albert videos later.

cinc

In football as in life, nothing is eternal. And while the passing of former Hungary international Florian Albert on Sunday is clearly a great loss to the sport, the imprint that he left on the game is unlikely to ever be forgotten.

Regarded as one of the most graceful players in history, Albert was a one-club man for his entire career, representing a successful Ferencvaros side between 1958 and 1974, a period during which the forward also starred for a Hungary team that was bent on reliving past glories.

“Florian was an extremely elegant footballer with extraordinary skill and ball control,” recalled FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter in a letter of condolence to Sandor Csanyi, President of the Hungarian FA. “These qualities ensured that he was highly respected by his opponents,” he added.

Albert was bitten by the football bug at the age of nine when, as the third of four children living in Hercegszanto, a small village in southern Hungary, he was enthralled by the exploits of Gusztav Sebes’ celebrated Mighty Magyars, a side that included players of the calibre of Zoltan Czibor, Nandor Hidegkuti, Sandor Kocsis and Ferenc Puskas, among others.

“I learned everything I know from that team. I was a great admirer of the marvellous show they were able to put on,” Albert once said.

After six years of constant progress at Ferencvaros’ youth academy, Albert made his first-team debut on 2 November 1958 in a 3-1 win over Diosgyor. His simple approach and fluid style, backed by a remarkable level of technique, marked him out as one of the most outstanding players of his era. That comparisons are often drawn between his poise and that of Franz Beckenbauer, whose career partly coincided with the Hungarian’s, is a sign of the esteem in which he is still held.

Pele’s absence forgotten
Albert’s talent outshone his inexperience, and he enjoyed a rapid rise to prominence. He won his first cap for Hungary at the tender age of 18 in June 1959, in a 3-2 win over Sweden, although he had at that point started just two matches for Ferencvaros.

One year on, the striker would score six times during his country’s three group matches at the 1960 Olympic Football Tournament in Italy. This included an impressive 7-0 win over France, but he was powerless to prevent them from being knocked out 2-0 by a surprising Denmark side at the semi-final stage. The bronze medal, secured by way of a 2-1 triumph versus Italy, would offer some consolation.

During the 1962 FIFA World Cup Chile™, he led Hungary to the quarter-finals, where they were eliminated in a tight 1-0 loss to the former Czechoslovakia, with Albert finishing as second-top goalscorer at the tournament.

Following a laudable UEFA European Championship 1964 performance in which the Hungarians achieved third place, he then also tasted European success at club level, propelling Ferencvaros to some of the greatest results in their history during an exceptional Inter-Cities Fairs Cup (now UEFA Europa League) campaign.

The run culminated in a memorable 1-0 victory over Juventus in the final on 23 June 1965 at the Stadio Comunale in Turin, after Fradi had eliminated Roma, Athletic Bilbao and Manchester United along the way.

Florian was an extremely elegant footballer with extraordinary skill and ball control.
FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter
But it was during the 1966 FIFA World Cup in England that Florian Albert truly left his mark on the history of the game. The first-round encounter between Hungary and Brazil, from which the Europeans emerged victorious 3-1, is widely regarded as one of the greatest matches the tournament has ever witnessed.

Lajos Baroti’s side, boasting an Albert at the height of his powers, ran rings around the then world champions, who were deprived of the skills of Pele through injury. One of the match’s most memorable moments came in the 21st minute, when Brazil goalkeeper Gilmar had to pull off an exceptional save following some entertaining head tennis inside the box between Ferenc Bene and Albert.

The 57,000 spectators present at Goodison Park in Liverpool that day likely had trouble believing their eyes because, for the first time in nearly a decade, a team was beating the hitherto all-conquering Brazilians at their own game, namely all-out attack.

The goal which gave Hungary the lead in the 64th minute again stemmed from good interplay between star strikers Bene and Albert, who sent over the perfect cross for Janos Farkas, whose volley left the keeper with very little chance. There was then no way back for Brazil. Albert’s performance made many fans forget all about the absence of Pele, and he was given an incredible standing ovation upon being substituted.

“I remember his sensational performance in the game against Brazil at the FIFA World Cup in 1966 in England, which cemented his standing as one of the world’s top players,” confirmed President Blatter.

Award and injury
The year 1967 was a memorable one for the Hungarian magician, as not only did he win the European Footballer of the Year Award, but he also saw his second son born in December. Florian Jr would later play for Ferencvaros, as well as for clubs in Israel and France.

These happier moments were followed by more difficult times, as 18 months later Albert sustained a broken leg in a clash with Danish keeper Erik Engedahl. He returned to football a year later, but was unable to rediscover the style or form with which he had made his name.

On 17 March 1974 he took part in his 351st and last-ever league match, bringing to an end a career during which he had scored 245 goals and pulled on the green shirt of Ferencvaros 537 times, all competitions combined. His international swansong came two months later in Szekesfehervar when, in front of 15,000 fans, he won his 75th and final cap in a 3-2 win over Yugoslavia. His international goal tally would forever stand at 32.

The former forward remained in the world of football, first as a coach in Libya and then in various roles at Ferencvaros, the club dearest to his heart. This legend of the Hungarian game passed away on Sunday 30 October after complications following heart surgery.

“On behalf of FIFA and the football family, I would like to pass on my sincere condolences to the Hungarian FA and, most importantly, to all of Florian Albert’s loved ones and friends,” Blatter concluded in his letter.

Denis' cuff

I'd forgotten he'd won the European Footballer of the Year in '67, which was no mean achievement with some fabulous players around at the time at the top level. Funny how some players seem to go under the radar as far as media recognition goes - also reflected in the lack of interest here. Very sad, because he really was an exceptional player. When you look down the list of award winners, he is in pretty elite company and quite at home in that company. Sad to see him go but I presume he was a local boy who did his club and country proud and that's nice to have such pedigree to call your own.

I don't know about Budapest but in Manchester, United sure were favourites to go through - we were aware of their quality but perhaps not enough as it turned out.

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
He was fking magnificent, trying to think of some body like him now, maybe Bergkamp, Zola, would Iniesta be going too far ?

And that game v Brazil, that time has now consigned to black and white blurred vision! was one of the finest displays of destruction by one team upon a great team ever seen - Brazil title holders, big players Garrincha,Tostao Djalma Santos Jairzinhio Gerson et al completely dismantled by the precision, power, technique and flair of the Hungarians that day

I never forget those goals Ference Bene's 'George Best stylee' opener is one of the great World Cup goals Farkas Meszoly Albert were magnificent. Alberts brilliant movement goal was never offside in the first half.

2nd half Brazill were good but Farkas' and Albert's trickery did for them spectacularly. The Albert Bene Farkas goal is just fking wonderful - been watching it all over again on youtube brings tears to my eyes ( everyone should watch this)

This is how football was meant to be played

Kenny Wolstenholme "And Albert, playing the game of his life" " and look at this player - he's a charmer!" sumptuous stuff

Alberts run 60/70 yards slicing through the Brazil defence for what was the 4th goal criminally dissallowed is sheer beauty - balance power dribbling skill at pace (talk about "attacking the space!!")

Hungary magnificent

Florian Albert thank you

rip

Fantastic memories

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
He was fking magnificent, trying to think of some body like him now, maybe Bergkamp, Zola, would Iniesta be going too far ?

And that game v Brazil, that time has now consigned to black and white blurred vision! was one of the finest displays of destruction by one team upon a great team ever seen - Brazil title holders, big players Garrincha,Tostao Djalma Santos Jairzinhio Gerson et al completely dismantled by the precision, power, technique and flair of the Hungarians that day

I never forget those goals Ference Bene's 'George Best stylee' opener is one of the great World Cup goals Farkas Meszoly Albert were magnificent. Alberts brilliant movement goal was never offside in the first half.

2nd half Brazill were good but Farkas' and Albert's trickery did for them spectacularly. The Albert Bene Farkas goal is just fking wonderful - been watching it all over again on youtube brings tears to my eyes ( everyone should watch this)

This is how football was meant to be played

Kenny Wolstenholme "And Albert, playing the game of his life" " and look at this player - he's a charmer!" sumptuous stuff

Alberts run 60/70 yards slicing through the Brazil defence for what was the 4th goal criminally dissallowed is sheer beauty - balance power dribbling skill at pace (talk about "attacking the space!!")

Hungary magnificent

Florian Albert thank you

rip

Fantastic memories

The fourth is the most interesting one. Albert involved on both goals, as well as a third ridiculously disallowed (look around 5:30min :lol: laughable)

Moriarty

I went to Goodison as a kid in '66 to see Brazil - and expecting to see Brazil and Pele/Garrincha etc duly despatch Hungary. What a performance from the Hungarians. Albert had such a graceful style about him, along with Ferenc Bene and iirc their centre-half Metzoly/Farkas?? scored a cracking volley to beat the Brazilians 3-1. A memorable night. In their group games vs Portugal and esp Bulgaria, Brazil were kicked out of the tournament but Hungary beat them on pure football terms. The same group were also based at Old Trafford but the games there were a bit nondescript.
I went there to see Brazil v Portugal but my old man and older brother went to the Hungary v. Brazil game. As I remember, Hungary v Portugal was played at Old Trafford but my memory is a bit fuzzy these days.

Jopub

The fourth is the most interesting one. Albert involved on both goals, as well as a third ridiculously disallowed (look around 5:30min :lol: laughable)
The first goal is literally George Best incarnate send shivers down my spine watching that and yes the disallowed Farkas 4th goal was completely mad

Wonderful wonderful stuff - God knows what some of these players would be worth today :eek:

Moriarty

The first goal is literally George Best incarnate send shivers down my spine watching that and yes the disallowed Farkas 4th goal was completely mad

Wonderful wonderful stuff - God knows what some of these players would be worth today :eek:
This really set me thinking. Fans today get to see the cream of Europe and South America playing in our own league, but back then, we could only dream about seeing players like Albert in the flesh. Hungary was part of the Eastern Bloc and we were never exposed to their football except at international level or in the odd European tie. The 1966 WC was incredible in that we actually got to stand on the terraces and see Pele in his yellow shirt and Eusebio in the red of Portugal. In a way it's sad that a lot of the mystique has vanished from the game with todays' saturation tv coverage of games from everywhere. Too much of a good thing maybe?

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
This really set me thinking. Fans today get to see the cream of Europe and South America playing in our own league, but back then, we could only dream about seeing players like Albert in the flesh. Hungary was part of the Eastern Bloc and we were never exposed to their football except at international level or in the odd European tie. The 1966 WC was incredible in that we actually got to stand on the terraces and see Pele in his yellow shirt and Eusebio in the red of Portugal. In a way it's sad that a lot of the mystique has vanished from the game with todays' saturation tv coverage of games from everywhere. Too much of a good thing maybe?
This mystique isn't lost because of the PL hegemony but the television's overbearing presence. We know most talented players around Europe because of this interconnectedness in football media..

Let alone the scouting networks out there who have any half-decent 16 year old from Porto Alegre spring to the limelight

Denis' cuff

Ay Denis, is that you in the Gladys Street with the rattle, bobble hat, and NHS specs?
nah, had me Dave Clark Five shirt on that day :cool:

games at OT were:

Portugal v Bulgaria
Bulgaria v Hungary
Hungary v Portugal

Portugal trained at Ciddy's training ground in Cheagle. Got all their autographs. Eusebio was handing out pre-signed postcards of himself but also signed a Portuguese magazine dedicated to him that he obviously recognized. The ole fella brought it back for me when we beat them 1-5 the year before.

Never got to see Brazil at OT cos they played all their qualifiers at Goodison but wagged school and went to watch them at their Lymm training ground. No autographs though

Jopub

Well in some respects very true mate

It's actually lead to what I call a perception of 'general mediocrity' in the game and something us older codgers smile about quite often. I do some times see a player termed 'special' now and wince - he's just 'good' - there is a general overating of what I'd call ordinary 'journeyman talent' across the globe and largely due to this huge visual exposure but that's to be expected when every player in every town world wide can be seen on TV

I do believe there was more perspective about a players gifts in our day.

Look at the Hungarian side in this thread as I mentioned for 4 or so of them god knows what their worth would be now. Even as an 11 year old at the time my dad told me the Brazillians could be in for a surprise in this game so although you had no media to speak of like now news about players and teams did still get about and as you say saturation coverage tends to blanket any serious appreciation of talent

Again you had often to get out and go to get a proper look at players too and that always stays indelibly imprinted in the mind . Ive seen probably every great player of the last 45 years live at some point or other and nothing beats it - to be able to asses a players true abilities from 5 yards away in the flesh is not the same as sitting behind a sky camera is it :D

cinc

Well in some respects very true mate

It's actually lead to what I call a perception of 'general mediocrity' in the game and something us older codgers smile about quite often. I do some times see a player termed 'special' now and wince - he's just 'good' - there is a general overating of what I'd call ordinary 'journeyman talent' across the globe and largely due to this huge visual exposure but that's to be expected when every player in every town world wide can be seen on TV

I do believe there was more perspective about a players gifts in our day.

Look at the Hungarian side in this thread as I mentioned for 4 or so of them god knows what their worth would be now. Even as an 11 year old at the time my dad told me the Brazillians could be in for a surprise in this game so although you had no media to speak of like now news about players and teams did still get about and as you say saturation coverage tends to blanket any serious appreciation of talent

Again you had often to get out and go to get a proper look at players too and that always stays indelibly imprinted in the mind . Ive seen probably every great player of the last 45 years live at some point or other and nothing beats it - to be able to asses a players true abilities from 5 yards away in the flesh is not the same as sitting behind a sky camera is it :D
I think the fact that you can watch 50 games a week if you want, featuring the very best teams in the world takes away from football in that the mystic element of it.

For me when i first fell in love with United as a kid in the late eighties-early nineties, watching United was a huge event. A could see them 2 or 3 times a year (mostly FA Cup games) and maybe the odd highlights in the Sport News, Other than that I read about them in the papers and filled in the gaps using my imagination.

I'm not saying that I'm not glad I can watch United every week in Budapest, but to be honest, I'm glad that I've grown up without this much exposure.

Siorac

Even as an 11 year old at the time my dad told me the Brazillians could be in for a surprise in this game so although you had no media to speak of like now news about players and teams did still get about and as you say saturation coverage tends to blanket any serious appreciation of talent
Hungarian journalists who covered the team at that time later revealed that the whole team was absolutely depressed as everyone calculated that we would have to beat Portugal to go through, as Brazil would steamroller everybody anyway. The mood at trainings was akin to funerals ahead of the Brazil game... but they still pulled it off.

On topic: it's quite incredible to imagine but Albert actually got a lot of criticism back then for his "lack of workrate". Not from the Ferencváros fans, of course. He doesn't seem to be held in the same regard as Puskás and co. but I don't think he was any worse, not in terms of talent. He deserved that Ballon d'Or, something Puskás never won.

cinc

Hungarian journalists who covered the team at that time later revealed that the whole team was absolutely depressed as everyone calculated that we would have to beat Portugal to go through, as Brazil would steamroller everybody anyway. The mood at trainings was akin to funerals ahead of the Brazil game... but they still pulled it off.

On topic: it's quite incredible to imagine but Albert actually got a lot of criticism back then for his "lack of workrate". Not from the Ferencváros fans, of course. He doesn't seem to be held in the same regard as Puskás and co. but I don't think he was any worse, not in terms of talent. He deserved that Ballon d'Or, something Puskás never won.
The worst thing about that work-rate criticism was that it was exactly that which made him go in against that danish keeper. There was an article in the Kepes Sport or in the Labdarugas a week earlier about him not working hard enough.

He wanted to prove that he does and he broke his leg in return. His form never recovered.

The Puskas lovefest is something that is hard for me to handle. I dont think he was the best even in the Mighty Magyars team (Kocsis and Hidegkuti would be my choices).

Albert was always a bit of a recluse and had some enemies in the Hungarian football, so its understandable that he didnt recieve the love some (even Torocsik) got from the press.

My favourite Albert chant from the sixties was always been:

"Albert Flóri seggét rázza, mehettek a szegényházba!"

VP

Are you serious?Do you have any idea how hard it is to make it as a professional footballer these days? There's a professional league in almost every country in the world. More than a billion people play the game. To succeed you have to be faster, strong and simply much better. Just look at some of the old WC matches, it's like watching women's football. Can you imagine Messi or Ronaldo playing in the 1950s against defenders who had a fag at halftime? :lol:

cinc

Are you serious?Do you have any idea how hard it is to make it as a professional footballer these days? There's a professional league in almost every country in the world. More than a billion people play the game. To succeed you have to be faster, strong and simply much better. Just look at some of the old WC matches, it's like watching women's football. Can you imagine Messi or Ronaldo playing in the 1950s against defenders who had a fag at halftime? :lol:
You know how different were the training, the balls, the gear back then? If they were to recieve the same training and support as todays footballers, they would be thriving in todays football.

Albert could fit into every team, club or country.

VP

You know how different were the training, the balls, the gear back then? If they were to recieve the same training and support as todays footballers, they would be thriving in todays football.

Albert could fit into every team, club or country.
They would. But to suggest that players today are generally worse than players from yesteryear is ludicrous.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I don't think Jopub was saying that I think he was saying that due to such media exposure and hype there's so many players that are deemed special that are nothing of the sort, compared to back in the day when there were players that were genuinely special that entire countries didn't even know about.

cinc

I don't think Jopub was saying that I think he was saying that due to such media exposure and hype there's so many players that are deemed special that are nothing of the sort, compared to back in the day when there were players that were genuinely special that entire countries didn't even know about.
Yeah, and thats true.