Evie Rabjohn - torn ACL confirmed

Is she any good?

Rabjohn:

“This is such a big club and to be able to sign here with my family around me, is what dreams are made of.

"I’ll do anything for this team, to get us to where we want to be.”
'

Skinner:

“Evie is a fantastic young player that I have known since she was 10 years old, and whose progress I have been monitoring ever since.

"We are delighted Evie has agreed to join us, and her signing again shows the long-term vision of this great football club.”

Bancroft:

“Evie is an exciting young player who we are delighted has agreed to join our Manchester United family.

"We look forward to integrating her into our match day squad in due course.”

Would say this does need fixing, to be fair.

Aston Villa boss Carla Ward has urged the FA to review the rules that allow players under the age of 18 to move on without their club receiving a fee or any compensation.

This comes amid speculation over the future of 17-year-old defender Evie Rabjohn, who has been linked with a move to Manchester United. The Daily Mail reported this week the youngster is set to complete the switch and Villa won't receive any compensation given she doesn't turn 18 until April 28.

Reports emerged last July suggesting WSL clubs had been pushing for two years to address the problem of players moving on free transfers before they turn 18, insisting it provides little incentive for clubs to produce their own players. The men's game, by contrast, has a detailed system established by FIFA where clubs are compensated for the training and development of young players.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/villa-carla-fa-evie-rabjohn-26700144

Welcome Evie!

Interesting timing, wonder if some circumstance forced our hand in terms of making it public already.

Anyway having Le Tissier, Turner, Mannion, Thorisdottir and a young talent like Rabjohn as our CB options, there's at least one position we definitely don't need reinforcements for a while. Hopefully.

Love seeing her with us already, but I don’t understand this. Surely she was contracted until the end of the season?

Love seeing her with us already, but I don’t understand this. Surely she was contracted until the end of the season?

I think it's just the whole timing issue because it's her first professional contract. The women's game hasn't really had to think much about clubs picking up academy registered players mid-season until now.

That said, I don't think she can play for us - I think she'd have to be registered in our WSL squad to play and I don't think we've got any u21 matches left either. If Villa were planning to play her in the first team in their remaining matches I guess there might have been a loan deal, but otherwise there wasn't much point in her staying there.

Skinner says she'll be with us for at least six months getting to know the club and the other players. Then they'll work out what's best for her development and she'll either stay with the first team or we'll try and find her a good loan club for the rest of next season.

I think it's just the whole timing issue because it's her first professional contract. The women's game hasn't really had to think much about clubs picking up academy registered players mid-season until now.

That said, I don't think she can play for us - I think she'd have to be registered in our WSL squad to play and I don't think we've got any u21 matches left either. If Villa were planning to play her in the first team in their remaining matches I guess there might have been a loan deal, but otherwise there wasn't much point in her staying there.

Skinner says she'll be with us for at least six months getting to know the club and the other players. Then they'll work out what's best for her development - then she'll stay with the first team or we'll try and find her a good loan club for the rest of next season.

Yeah it’s not fair for Villa in any way. She’s been on their bench for a lot of their recent games and to me it’s a matter of principle. She’s not going to play for us either so there isn’t much point in her being with us either.

No she’s definitely not eligible for us.

I think that’s the smart way of looking at it, let her train with the first team and see whether she might already be able to help us in some way. I know she’s been playing as a RB for Villa, so I’m sure she could do that too.

And if it’s seen as the best option for her development to go on loan, I wouldn’t be surprised to see that happen. If there is a WSL side ready to make her a starting XI player, that would probably be ideal for all parties.

completely agree. Wonder how many clubs will be chasing her signatur?
As @top1whoisman suggested there might be good non-football reasons why we didn't go for her last summer (it seems she is/was in a relationship with Millie Turner). Otherwise it would be a great move for her and us.

As @top1whoisman suggested there might be good non-football reasons why we didn't go for her last summer (it seems she is/was in a relationship with Millie Turner). Otherwise it would be a great move for her and us.
Is the view that it's best to minimise teammate relationships, lest things take a wrong turn and cause problems?

Is the view that it's best to minimise teammate relationships, lest things take a wrong turn and cause problems?

I can't of course speak on behalf of the club but after seeing up close how romantic relationships in a team environment can affect the morale/team spirit, create division or cliques within the dressing room, I could understand if that was the "policy" if you like. Also good to keep in mind that it could be the choice of either player too that they don't want to play in the same team.

Back on the pitch, nice to see. Still a way to go before she can join full team training but must be a nice motivation boost.

It’s a real shame that she got injured. Although I think she would’ve gone on loan as Skinner doesn’t really do rotation, but with George’s long-term injury she could’ve got some minutes in the cups.

Awful news, even more so after missing much of last season with another injury.

Fractured metatarsal. Post from last December:

She was back on the bench for us in March, but I'm not sure how much playing time she sctually had before going away with England U19s.

It's a real shame for her as basically it'll cost her (and us) a full season. Hopefully she'll recover well.

Incidentally Lena Oberdorf (brilliant young German midfielder) did her ACL last week as well. It's a frighteningly frequent injury in the women's game.

And just as last season's ACL club comes to a close, this season's ACL club opens its doors The season doesn't even start for another couple of months.