g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

The-Mezzala

Interestingly in 15/16 most agreed that LVG needed to go but that season we managed to get 66 points and were fighting for a CL spot until the last day.
Standards were a lot higher then. I think we just haven’t been the same since it all we went bad under Ole. Even last season. We had a very favourable draw in the Cup and had a really good spell mid season. But there were signs then that Ten Hag needed to be questioned. His in game management is his biggest problem. He cant change a game or see one out. His record against the bigger teams in the league is abysmal. Even Ole got a few wins over City.

stevoc

It's almost certainly just because it was against Arsenal. We'll go back to our usual suicidal style against Newcastle and Brighton, then try to be compact again against City in the final.
Yeah sadly I think you're right.

Andy_Cole

It's going to be Potter or Southgate. They're going to go British and someone who's used to working under a setup like the one they're setting up currently. I doubt they're going to feck around and give someone time to learn on the job or get used to it.
Then it won’t be potter and Southgate if they won’t give someone time to learn.

stevoc

Or the players continued their insubordination but stumbled on something that works?
Possibly, or maybe they decided to finally start listening to Ten Hag 3 games from the end of the season?

:lol:

The wild theories people on here concoct in defence of ETH.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Don’t doubt it, really. Is this irrespective of the result in the final?
Yes irrespective.
Too much evidence against him, I asked him what about the final and he said they couldn't look at how it's gone so far and keep him.

There is a bigger plan than immediate results and it doesn't include the current failings at the club.

Take a step back and look at the facts, forget the mitigating circumstances.

Injuries have been managed horribly and the hierarchy has a completely different vision for the club than what we think currently as fans.

In 12 months the club will be unrecognisable from today whether good or bad who knows but manager staff, coaches, players all different.

hobbers

Out of interest what style of play do you think we could have played today that was significantly better and more attacking than what we tried?

You wanted to see tactical flexibility he shows it despite a severely weakened first XI and still with the negetive.

I don’t think you’re going to be happy watching United for another 2/3 seasons regardless of manager.
Negative because we've lost 19 games and have -4 goal difference in the league, with a useless manager and no absolute guarantee even now he'll go. And set to throw an FA cup chance like we threw away European football.

Today was just meh. Arsenal very happy to win 1-0 and let us have the ball because we're so abysmal with it.

I'll be happier watching United if we have a manager trying to get us playing good football. Spurs and Villa have worse squads and 20+ more xG from open play. Says it all. Their managers are competent and have styles that work, and even if things are far from perfect, at least they get some good games of football to watch every season.

We get about 3 watchable games a season and each one has been followed by a horrible rout.

crossy1686

career ending
Then it won’t be potter and Southgate if they won’t give someone time to learn.
All the coaches out there we've been linked with are used to managing all aspects of the club. Potter will be an easy appointment as a guy who just comes in and tries to improve the first team as head coach, nothing more. I honestly couldn't care who it is any more, just get someone else in and if it doesn't work then sack them after a couple of seasons. There's no point in this "give them 5 years and 20 new players" nonsense every time we get a new manager.

stevoc

But that cycle has to start again as if you get a new manager in, these same players will just throw him under the bus in another 2 years time.
He should get one more year. Otherwise, it's just another cycle and another manager these players have gotten sacked. The players need to be sacked, not the manager.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

stevoc

I can imagine similar comments being made about Fergie in the early years and Arteta by Arsenal fans a few years ago. They stuck by Arteta and have gotten their reward. There is a virtue in being patient.
Fergie and Arteta two peas in a pod them two.

What was Arsenal's reward?

LordSpud

The worrying part is I don't think there's a manager in the world, as well as the question as to whether INEO can sort the shite from the decent, that gets this squad to a standard of only losing 5 or so games ALL SEASON. That is, whether we like it or not, the standard to which the likes of City, Liverpool, and now Arsenal are working with.

stevoc

These posts coming one after another did make me chuckle.

Regardless I dont think today’s performance is the one to be entirely derisory or critical of.

We have evidence again that he can set up to defend if needed but that our issue is doing so whilst also maintaining a significant attacking threat.

That comes down to player quality and availability in my book.
And when have we had a significant attacking threat?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm convinced the "players will throw the next manager under the bus" line to advocate for ten Hag staying has become a meme now. It's been countered too many times - in the exact same thread - for it not to be just said for the reactions.

stevoc

I feel that we go round on this topic because some of you don’t realise the volume of player turnover
I think some of them willfully ignore it so they can continue the narrative that this is all on the players and not Ten Hag's fault.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Negative because we've lost 19 games and have -4 goal difference in the league, with a useless manager and no absolute guarantee even now he'll go. And set to throw an FA cup chance like we threw away European football.

Today was just meh. Arsenal very happy to win 1-0 and let us have the ball because we're so abysmal with it.

I'll be happier watching United if we have a manager trying to get us playing good football. Spurs and Villa have worse squads and 20+ more xG from open play. Says it all. Their managers are competent and have styles that work, and even if things are far from perfect, at least they get some good games of football to watch every season.

We get about 3 watchable games a season and each one has been followed by a horrible rout.
Fair enough.

Sometimes I think the meh can be a step in the right direction.
And when have we had a significant attacking threat?
When have we had significant attacking options?

Who would you say has been anywhere near the level of Salah, Kane, Son, Haaland etc for us in recent history?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Oh come on..
It’s a nice and compact formation, the defensive line was higher and the forwards weren’t camping in the opposition box to create a gulf in midfield. As a result there was always a midfielder closer by to make a challenge every time a ball was lost. We had enough penetration from wide players, the fullbacks were in more familiar places to overlap and create attacking spaces.

Against a worse defensive team, which is pretty much the rest of the league and Bruno’s quality on the ball, we could well have scored. This is a recipe that can consistently win games, may not be the league but enough to finish higher than Villa and spurs.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We're missing 3/4 of our main backline, and all of their backups, and were forced to play our best midfielder from last season (who's looking completely finished this season) in defence. Our best player (Bruno) was missing, and also his "backup" (if you can call Mount that), as was the player supposed to be our talisman, who despite his flaws almost always scores in big games.

And still we made it a close game against the team who for the second season running have given City a run for their money (and who might yet win the title).

Again, I understand wanting Ten Hag out, but give some credit where it's due.
Arsenal played full on tempo until they got the goal they wanted. After that they were happy to take the foot off the gas and make it hard to break them down, they knew our best chance was hitting them on the counter attack if they were open so they simply closed up. It was a professional job by them.

I don’t blame ETH for today aside from it’s his group of players and thrust came up short. But tactically was much better today and there is no shame losing to Arsenal.

however that’s our 19th defeat of the season and he should be removed for that alone

AndySmith1990

:lol:

Merson has just said ten Hag has the power of the Men In Black reset pen the way he dupes so many after each shocking game we play.
When even a moron like Merson can see what's going on with Ten Hag, you have to wonder what's wrong with those still attempting to defend him

Redstain

Should be sacked this season and the club will benefit. I don't think Erik is entirely a bad manager but United is too big a step for him.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
I for one will be glad to just know the final decision.

If he stays, ok, not perfect but let’s see what he can do with a bit of help.

If he goes, ok, not perfect but let’s see what the new guy can do with a bit of help.

That’s about where my brain is right now.

crossy1686

career ending
When even a moron like Merson can see what's going on with Ten Hag, you have to wonder what's wrong with those still attempting to defend him
I'm convinced they're just enjoying the attention now. There's no way you can't be annoyed by what's happening if you're a United fan. It's either that or total delusion at this point. Like what do they seriously think is going to happen next season?

Nori-

The only good thing that could come out of this awful run we are having is SJR and his team will realise the problems we have are probably bigger than they imagined and work to get things sorted might move a little faster.

crossy1686

career ending
I for one will be glad to just know the final decision.

If he stays, ok, not perfect but let’s see what he can do with a bit of help.

If he goes, ok, not perfect but let’s see what the new guy can do with a bit of help.

That’s about where my brain is right now.
What do you mean a 'bit of help'? What help do you think Ten Hag would be getting next season and how do you think it would improve things?