Dominique Janssen | United sign experienced defender

“I’m delighted to be at such a big club like Manchester United. Signing here is a really proud moment for me, and I cannot wait to now return to the English league and create new winning moments with this talented Manchester United team.”

Skinner:
”Dominique is a proven winner, both domestically and internationally. Her winning mentality is an important addition to our team, and her notable playing experience will enhance our entire dressing room. We are delighted to welcome Dominique into our Manchester United family.”

She’ll probably play max. five games for us, but I think it’s a good move to get some winning experience to the team.

Decent analysis of the player here.

Not the position I was waiting for an improvement on, will be interesting to see how we line up in defense.

What a weird image to use to announce a signing. Couldn’t they get a picture of her to use instead of a side of a building? I mean it’s good that we’ve signed a player, but still

She’s with the national team currently, she probably hasn’t been in Manchester yet. So the official photos etc. will come later. And photoshops on official club socials always look lazy and cheap.

Hopefully she'll make a mark on Mark in Manchester and actually get some minutes!

The fact we've made a signing has really reassured me, and she sounds like a very decent addition to the team.

Hopefully she'll make a mark on Mark in Manchester and actually get some minutes!

The fact we've made a signing has really reassured me, and she sounds like a very decent addition to the team.

Felt the same about Guerrero, Miyazawa, Tullis-Joyce etc. I’ve got my reservations about whether Skinner will actually play her, but let’s hope so.

Can't really do much better than that on a free. Think there's going to be a lot more competition for places (Skinner allowing) in the back 4 this year given another rumoured arrival.

She can play defensive midfield. If not would we try Maya at right back?
Surely we'll play her with a playing pedigree like that.

She can play defensive midfield. If not would we try Maya at right back?
Surely we'll play her with a playing pedigree like that.

I can see Maya being tried out at DM as well, seeing how much she was pushing up there in game last season.

Full back has to be a lock with Jayde one side and Gabby the other right?

She’s with the national team currently, she probably hasn’t been in Manchester yet. So the official photos etc. will come later. And photoshops on official club socials always look lazy and cheap.
There we go. They were obviously waiting for the photograph to be developed…

Not the position I was waiting for an improvement on, will be interesting to see how we line up in defense.

Purely numbers wise, defence was the area we were most lacking last season - made even worse by injuries of course. Millie & Maya had to play pretty much every game.

This is a solid signing - tons of top level experience including previously in the WSL.

Ooh, a quality set-piece taker, and comfortable with both feet. Hopefully we won't miss Zelem's deliveries too much then? I am very happy about this, she sounds great.

Oh jeez are we getting women’s threads in the main forum now? Feels like a completely different sport

Oh jeez are we getting women’s threads in the main forum now? Feels like a completely different sport

Follow the green arrow - the womens team have their own category as you can see! Even if they had not I am sure you could survive...

uWJHME5.jpeg

Always liked her when I watched the Dutch national team. Has a hell of a free kick.

Too bad we didn‘t get Miedema: in form she‘s incredible.

SETTLING IN HAS BEEN SUPER EASY

“It feels really good [to say I’m a Manchester United player]. I’ve been in now for one-and-a-half weeks and the girls have just been amazing, and it’s super easy to settle in. I didn’t really know them personally, I knew a few from the national team, but I felt like they took me in straight away and they made it super easy for me. I don’t really miss home yet, which is really nice, so it [has] just made the transition pretty easy so far.”

WHAT ATTRACTED ME TO UNITED

“I think they have big ambitions, the growth they have been making the last six years since they started has also been really good. Of course, there will always be some bumps in the road, which I heard from the girls as well that last season was maybe not the easiest season, but knowing that those up and downs are just part of the journey. It’s so exciting to see where we can go the next few years, so that’s what also drew me to the club, the potential that it has. I want to help the club, and I want to do it together with the girls.”

TROPHIES ARE THE ULTIMATE AIM

“Definitely, that’s the goal [to win trophies]. I’m hungry for more trophies, I think, last year, they got their first trophy as well, so I think the girls are very hungry for some more.”

THE KIND OF PLAYER I AM

“I’m just like a super solid player that just plays on a certain level and tries to be on that level. Sometimes, I have games where maybe I’m showing my potential and then other games, I’m just at a certain level that doesn’t really drop, so just solid. But I came here as well to improve my game, so I’m very curious how the WSL is going to challenge me and how I can improve myself.”

A MESSAGE FOR THE FANS

“I just want to say I feel like, within the team and also listening to the other girls, that this year is going to be really good. We have a good vibe, and everyone is very excited to get the best performance out, so just be ready for whatever is coming.”

https://www.manutd.com/en/videos/detail/dominique-janssen-first-interview-as-man-utd-women-player

Cheers, Top1. It's an intriguing signing in that I'm sure she would only sign as a starter. Are we going for a back three? Or Maya at right-back?

It is an interesting question for sure. It’s good that/if there is more competition for the CB positions, although I also appreciate a certain amount of continuity at the heart of the defense.

I’m confident MLT could play as a RB too, especially with Riviere’s injury issues. Which are a huge disappointment as I saw a lot of potential in her performances.

For some strange reason I’ve never warmed to the idea of a back three, for no logical reason. I guess I prefer the shape and balance when playing with a back four.

But with the addition of Janssen, it could be worth trying, at least in some matches. We’ve been so poor against the big three especially so I’d be tempted. We would have some decent options for wingbacks for sure.

PTJ

MLT - Janssen - Turner

Riviere/Parris - - - Naalsund - - - GG/HB/AS/LG

Clinton - Miyazawa

Toone

Malard​

It is an interesting question for sure. It’s good that/if there is more competition for the CB positions, although I also appreciate a certain amount of continuity at the heart of the defense.

I’m confident MLT could play as a RB too, especially with Riviere’s injury issues. Which are a huge disappointment as I saw a lot of potential in her performances.

For some strange reason I’ve never warmed to the idea of a back three, for no logical reason. I guess I prefer the shape and balance when playing with a back four.

But with the addition of Janssen, it could be worth trying, at least in some matches. We’ve been so poor against the big three especially so I’d be tempted. We would have some decent options for wingbacks for sure.

PTJ

MLT - Janssen - Turner

Riviere/Parris - - - Naalsund - - - GG/HB/AS/LG

Clinton - Miyazawa

Toone

Malard​
Not a bad line-up really, but I've derailed the Janssen thread. Maybe we need a speculative Starting XI thread?

Maya at RB is a good option IMO. Serena sees her future in that position.
We looked really shaky in defence last season not helped by Mary's aggressive outbursts last season.
Jayde has bags of potential but physically she struggles to compete. Hannah went backwards last season for me and we lost Gabby early doors. I will be frustrated if our new signings and Grace don't feature. Wing back option also interesting. Anna could be key with that.