David de Gea Signs Adidas Deal

And Madrid when he eventually joins them. Spanish Adidias poster boy.

Really strange it has taken this long for a major company to sign him to their stable.

This was kind of inevitable given De Gea wore Nike since his Atletico days, and stuck by them given United's association with them. But now they're gone and Adidas is associated with both United and the Spanish national team, so it's a natural fit, even if he does end up going to Madrid (seems unlikely right now). Adidas probably gave him better terms to go with his enhanced status as one of the Top 2 keepers around. Remember Özil being a Nike player when he first joined Madrid. But Adidas had ties with them, and obviously the German national team. Wasn't long before he joined the Adidas crew.

PS: That makes it Ander, Mata, Blind, Young, Jones, De Gea, Valencia, Schneiderlin, Fußballgott, and probably a couple more. Wouldn't be surprised if others make the change either, or if we sign a couple of top Adidas sponsored players to help with their profile at the club. And some of the academy players will likely get Adidas contracts instead of Nike too. As an aside, Memphis, Januzaj and Fellaini stick out with their Under Armour/ New Balance crap. Eww...

Also wore Puma, though. ^

Puma was most likely a transition brand. Loads of players wear generic stuff, or sign short term contracts before they make a major change. And to be honest, ever since he left Nike, the Adidas deal was inevitable. Even when he started wearing Puma boots at the start of last season, the gloves were sponsored by Adidas :

YHD4r9C.jpg

B04uUsxCYAAhcpp.jpg:large

And he's been regularly spotted wearing Adidas boots with both United and the Spanish national team:

Probably just waited this long to iron out the Adidas contract details with Jorge.

Every time some pundit claims that Nike/adidas have anything to do with their players staying and Nike/adidas clubs, it always turns out not to be true.

Someone (in the media) said it about Ronaldo not going to Madrid because Ronaldo was Nike, United were Nike but Madrid were Addidas.

Great, now he's going to join the legion of Basti, Mata, Ander, Young and Schneiderlin tweeting cringe-worthy shit every now and then.

Great news. Hopefully just one of several contracts he's signed this year tha he fully intends to see through!

I think the madrid threat is dead in the water. Navas is doing really well for them and the fans love him.

Personal deals have nothing to do with the club a player plays for. Sponsors do not facilitate transfers but at times, sponsors can assist with part of transfer fees or wages.

Personal pride may come into it....

Imagine De Gea signs for Madrid next summer.
"Yep, we've got our goalkeeper, whom we weren't arsed about in the first place but, he came running anyway...How do you feel, David?"

Puma was most likely a transition brand. Loads of players wear generic stuff, or sign short term contracts before they make a major change. And to be honest, ever since he left Nike, the Adidas deal was inevitable. Even when he started wearing Puma boots at the start of last season, the gloves were sponsored by Adidas :

And he's been regularly spotted wearing Adidas boots with both United and the Spanish national team:

Probably just waited this long to iron out the Adidas contract details with Jorge.

Genuine question here mate- i was under impression that boots are never part of the contract. Meaning thst footballers wear what is the best fit for their feet.

So as a Nike players you could use other boots no problem.

Did i get it wrong??

Genuine question here mate- i was under impression that boots are never part of the contract. Meaning thst footballers wear what is the best fit for their feet.

So as a Nike players you could use other boots no problem.

Did i get it wrong??

Think so mate. Boots are big sellers, doubt Nike would let Ronaldo wear Adidas cleats or example. Players even have the type of cleat they'll wear stipulated in their contracts, to promote newer ranges when they're introduced.

Boots are the main part of these deals, being that they're the one thing that's not part of the teams kit and so can be dictated by the player (or his sponsor).

They are also basically made to wear certain ones - see every adidas player wearing the same bright orange (iirc) boots at the WC a few years back.

Think so mate. Boots are big sellers, doubt Nike would let Ronaldo wear Adidas cleats or example. Players even have the type of cleat they'll wear stipulated in their contracts, to promote newer ranges when they're introduced.

The weird boots colors are also due to the sponsors.

I remember RVN used to wear the older Nike boots when the mercurials first came out. I find it weird that players can't choose their own boots - surely there are certain boots which fit and feel better? For example, I think cricket players choose the bat they like and then put their own sponsors on.

Considering that many top players' boots are made to measure, it wouldn't surprise me if the base of the boot remained the same and the sponsor just changed the appearance to fit with the latest models.

I remember RVN used to wear the older Nike boots when the mercurials first came out. I find it weird that players can't choose their own boots - surely there are certain boots which fit and feel better? For example, I think cricket players choose the bat they like and then put their own sponsors on.

Sponsors still manufacture a players bats. They are just custom made to what the player wants. Couple of youtube videos of the likes of Cook and Mathew Hayden visiting GM and Gray Nichols to see the process of their bats being put together. Really interesting and incredible levels of craftsmanship. Same thing with Pro Surfers and their boards. I know there is a guy in Byron Bay Australia where you pay some stupid amount of money and he lets you come in and shape and build your own board with his assistance.

I dont think its anything dis-similar to the world class professional footballers. I'd hedge money on Messi and Ronaldo having custom made boots for them by Nike and Adidas respectively. They will look like what the punter can buy however for marketing purposes.

All top players have custom made boots these days, that's part of the deals they do, they are custom molded to their feet, as the standard foot size us normal folk go by are only one of many measurements used for pro's.

As for players choosing their own boots, there seemed to be some insinuation they are dictated to above, which is not the case.

Players can choose to wear whatever they want, and they dont need a deal in place to wear a particular brand. Deal's dont necessarily demand particular model's to be worn either, this is just where the most money is to be made.

So your Ronaldo's and Messi's etc will be on massive deals to wear the flagship boot from their brand, when a new boot/design comes out, they'll have them custom made and switch to them, as such they'll be on the biggest money. Other players will be on deals just to wear any boot/design from a brand, and others will just go on minimal or no deal where they pick and choose whatever they want from whoever.

Been quite a few big players over the years who have passed up the big money and said no to luminous green's and yellows in favour of the more classy old designs. I used to love RvN's boots, jet black with White moulds on the bottom, looked gorgeous, specially the white moulds underneath as players run.

P.S, might just have been in my little area of Manchester, but when i was growing up, i remember Bryan Robson signed a deal with New Balance i think it was. Nobody had heard of them and it became "known" for quite a while that Bryan Robson was actually owner and inventor of New Balance boots.....which obviously he wasn't, some numpty kid must have just spouted it one day and everybody took it as fact for a while.

All top players have custom made boots these days, that's part of the deals they do, they are custom molded to their feet, as the standard foot size us normal folk go by are only one of many measurements used for pro's.

As for players choosing their own boots, there seemed to be some insinuation they are dictated to above, which is not the case.

Players can choose to wear whatever they want, and they dont need a deal in place to wear a particular brand. Deal's dont necessarily demand particular model's to be worn either, this is just where the most money is to be made.

So your Ronaldo's and Messi's etc will be on massive deals to wear the flagship boot from their brand, when a new boot/design comes out, they'll have them custom made and switch to them, as such they'll be on the biggest money. Other players will be on deals just to wear any boot/design from a brand, and others will just go on minimal or no deal where they pick and choose whatever they want from whoever.

Been quite a few big players over the years who have passed up the big money and said no to luminous green's and yellows in favour of the more classy old designs. I used to love RvN's boots, jet black with White moulds on the bottom, looked gorgeous, specially the white moulds underneath as players run.

P.S, might just have been in my little area of Manchester, but when i was growing up, i remember Bryan Robson signed a deal with New Balance i think it was. Nobody had heard of them and it became "known" for quite a while that Bryan Robson was actually owner and inventor of New Balance boots.....which obviously he wasn't, some numpty kid must have just spouted it one day and everybody took it as fact for a while.

:lol:

Reminds me of the days when I thought Kane had really come back from the dead after being burned by his brother to exact his revenge.

I think the madrid threat is dead in the water. Navas is doing really well for them and the fans love him.

I think it all falls to Mendes, and if i remember correctly he apparently was not happy with how it turned out since he apparently never lost a deal in his career.

Yeah my mates used to tell me that Robbo owned NB. And believed it until I discovered the internet.

I think people just need to accept that he's gone at the end of the season.

He worse puma boots and adidas gloves all of last season, obviously trying to sell himself! Probably on a fortune with Adidas.