Music Buying tickets online

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Just been chubbed trying to get Radiohead tickets for Dublin next summer. Supposed to go on sale at 9am. Logged on at 0855 and refreshed the second they went on sale but no joy.

What am I doing wrong? What are the lucky cnuts who got them doing right?

Just been chubbed trying to get Radiohead tickets for Dublin next summer. Supposed to go on sale at 9am. Logged on at 0855 and refreshed the second they went on sale but no joy.

Employing hundreds of people that buy them all to resell.

Same. Logged on at 8.50, got in the queue as soon as they went on sale, sold out immediately. Madness.

Already being sold on for extortionate amounts online.

Not sure why you refreshed, it automatically does it when the timer goes to 0.

Anyway Radiohead in the 3Arena for the first time in Ireland in 8 years was always going to be a shitstorm. I had no luck and neither did any of my mates.

One of the lads did get a ticket, just one, cause he for some reason assumed they wouldn't sell out right away, now he's going alone, the cnut.

Please note the name of the lead attendee will be printed on each ticket.

The name cannot be changed once the booking has been made.

If you are booking more than one ticket your guests must arrive at the concert at the same time as you. Failure to do so will result in the guests being turned away.

The lead attendee will be asked to present photo ID to gain entry into the venue. Failure to adhere the terms and conditions may result in the customer's order being cancelled. There are no exceptions to this rule.

How are people getting round this selling them on eBay etc? Or are they hoping the buyers won't know and they're therefore buying something useless?

How are people getting round this selling them on eBay etc? Or are they hoping the buyers won't know and they're therefore buying something useless?

Cue a slew of 40 year olds trying to get fake IDs.

Ah well, hopefully they announce a 2nd gig.

Looks like folks in the UK have the same issue, tried the Manchester Arena too and there was nothin'

Three tickets for €1741.50 on Viagogo. I like Radiohead but....

That's a lot to pay just to be refused entry.

This is what I do:

- ask a few mates to try too
- use multiple devices
- use multiple browsers
- use Last Pass (to save time entering your details)

A good way of doing it through some outlets like Ticketmaster is ring up before they go on sale (say 8:45) and ask what's on somewhere else, get them to luck up random concerts etc to keep them on the phone and then as soon as 9 o clock or whenever the ticket goes on sale cut across them and ask them to get you tickets for the actual event you want to go to. They won't put the phone down or anything cos they want the sale, they probably will get pissed off at being stuck on the phone for ages though.

A good way of doing it through some outlets like Ticketmaster is ring up before they go on sale (say 8:45) and ask what's on somewhere else, get them to luck up random concerts etc to keep them on the phone and then as soon as 9 o clock or whenever the ticket goes on sale cut across them and ask them to get you tickets for the actual event you want to go to. They won't put the phone down or anything cos they want the sale, they probably will get pissed off at being stuck on the phone for ages though.

Cunning like a fox.

The whole system is a complete joke. Ticketmaster actually own Get Me In, so it is in their best interest to let touts buy up tickets in bulk.

No idea how this has been allowed to go on for so long.

The whole system is a complete joke. Ticketmaster actually own Get Me In, so it is in their best interest to let touts buy up tickets in bulk.

No idea how this has been allowed to go on for so long.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if they put aside the vast majority of the tickets for direct sale to touts, without making them jump through any of the hoops us ordinary punters do.

Be fascinating to see how they get round the names on tickets thing. Hopefully this brings things to a head. It's a disgraceful situation as it is, that's for sure.

Yeah, ticketmaster are in on the scam. Have you seen ticketmaster platinum?

TicketMaster Platinum: These are not resale tickets. Platinum Tickets are being sold for the very first time through Ticketmaster. The prices are adjusted according to supply and demand, similar to how airline tickets and hotel rooms are sold. The goal is to give the most passionate fans fair and safe access to the best tickets, while allowing the artists and everyone involved in staging live events to price tickets closer to their true value.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if they put aside the vast majority of the tickets for direct sale to touts, without making them jump through any of the hoops us ordinary punters do.

Be fascinating to see how they get round the names on tickets thing. Hopefully this brings things to a head. It's a disgraceful situation as it is, that's for sure.

One of the main obstacles in linking tickets to IDs or credit cards is that a lot of venues aren't equipped or trained well enough to handle it. From my experience, the smaller venues don't have the man power while the bigger venues end up dealing with 1000s of impatient concert goers, who turn up 20 minutes before start time expecting to waltz in.

U2 had a rule last tour that the credit card holder had to be present at the venue for all standing tickets. Almost all the venues ignored checking this, a few tried for the first night and then gave up after it caused huge delays and there were still touts selling them with the promise that they will be present with a card at the venue to let them in.

we managed to get two tickets

my wife was logged on from before 8am

We missed out on Coldplay tickets a few weeks ago, but I since managed to get two at face value

Download the app on your phone and go on the internet on a computer at the same time. Refresh about 2 minutes before they go on sale - the queue usually starts about then. Most of my luck has been on the mobile app, i think they get a certain amount to sell via the app, and that tends to be the less popular option of buying tickets.

Look to see if you're a member of any companies that get a pre-sale.

I know these touts have hundreds of people working for them but what do those hundreds of people do differently to you or I when it comes to buying the fecking things?

My ex used to work for a record company and it always seemed to be possible for her to get tickets direct from the venue owners or sponsors if you knew who to speak to...usually a few days before they were even on sale. So I'm guessing a person knows a person and gives said person a cut, etc.

I'm sure there's ways round the I.D. thing too. They're letting thousands of people into a venue in a very short space of time. They're not exactly going to be doing vigorous backround checks on every photo they see. I went to see Rage Against the Machine with a friend quite a few years back where there was a similar system, and I don't remember ever having to actually produce my I.D. in the end. I might just have forgotten mind.

Would love to see Radiohead live but they don't come to Wales anymore like a lot of artists I like. :(

Just got an interesting PM.

Hey, saw your thread and thought I'd share my knowledge with you as someone who used to do a bit of touting a couple of years ago and someone who has actually got Radiohead tickets in Manchester. I can't post into your thread but if you could put it in there then that would be cool.

I first started touting about 3 years ago when I'd just started uni. I was just talking to a couple of guys on my course and one of them mentioned that he'd made 10k in a year selling tickets. As soon as I heard that I just thought "I'm having a piece of this". First couple of times I tried getting tickets I either got rubbish ones or just failed but after time I got better and I haven't failed at getting a ticket for something in about 2 and a half years.

Really it's all about being super organised and getting in pre-sales. If you get in the pre-sale, you'll get tickets. For instance, I got Justin Timberlake front row seats by being signed up to his fan club The Tennessee Kids. I got really good seats for Gary Barlow at the o2 by pre-ordering his album, same with Coldplay. Loads of bands give you a pre-sale code if you sign up to their mailing list. When I got tickets for Kasabian they actually had a pre-pre-sale, general sale was Friday, o2 priority Wednesday but on the Monday they had a pre-sale for people who had pre-ordered their new album on Amazon. Most people thought tickets weren't on sale till 9am on the Friday morning, I had four standing tickets for Leeds by 9:02 on Monday.

Back to Radiohead, they had a pre-sale for people who are signed up to their fan site and they announced this at the same as the tour dates and I think it was only for existing subscribers and no new ones were allowed to try and restrict it to just real fans (which I am, I'm acutally off to see them with my mate). But me and countless other touts will have been signed up to their site for ages. I'm signed up to absolutely loads of crap just because I know that they will eventually announce a tour. There's also a website that gives people up to date information of all tours that have been announced, when tickets are on sale, details of any pre-sale. It's called Beat the Touts, somewhat ironically as I'd wager nearly everyone who uses it is in fact a tout.

But yeah, other than being super organised I don't have any special agreement with Ticketmaster for them to set aside tickets for me or anything. I just make sure I find out about any pre-sale and then usually I sit at my laptop from about 8:45 and my dad does the same and whoever gets through buys some.

I've seen a lot of people slagging off Ticketmaster calling it a fix today with the Radiohead ones cause standing tickets were sold out by 9:01. That's because they all went on Wednesday and they're not actually allowing people to sell them on Seatwave or Get Me In! which are the ones they own so there's not really much they can do about it. All the tickets being sold are on StubHub and Viagogo. I don't really think there's much that anyone can do to stop it generally either while ever there's high demand for tickets. If Viagogo and StubHub weren't selling them then people would just sell them on Ebay or Gumtree or even just advertise it on Twitter. And if you couldn't sell it on there then people would just sell outside the arena. And people would buy them. Until there aren't people willing to pay massive amounts for them it will carry on happening. One good thing about buying through Seatwave and Get Me In! is that you are either guaranteed a genuine ticket or your money back. You might pay over the odds, but you will get what you pay for. Whereas if it's all just relegated to people on Ebay or outside venues then people will just constantly get ripped off.

I think the only way they could stop it would be to go to a Glastonbury type system where you have to register before hand with a photo of yourself that is then printed on your ticket, but that would be too expensive and hassle for most promoters and venues. The likes of Ticketmaster will cancel orders if you make duplicate ones but it's still pretty easy to get round if you know how their system works. For instance, I accidentally bought 8 standing tickets from Seetickets for Noel Gallagher without realising the limit was 4 so I messaged them on Twitter trying to blag it pretending to be a panicing guy who'd bought 8 standing tickets for him and his mates without realising and thought I would lose all of my friends money. They believed me and said to just give them one of my friends name and address and they put that on one of the orders, didn't even matter that my card was used for both. Just stuck my housemate at uni on the order and everything went through fine. Plus you can just get family members to do it for you as well with their cards. The lad who I was on about earlier who made 10k once bought tickets for a Calvin Harris gig. They were £30 each and had a limit of 6 per customer. In the pre-sale he bought 6 with his card, his dad's and his brother's then sold them all for about £90 each. Easy £900 just for getting up at 8:30. Some professional touts probably do have bots and stuff but I don't even think you need them to be honest if you know what you're doing. Touts won't have even been trying to get any today as general sale is just a lottery and there's no point even bothering half the time.

I think Radiohead have tried to do as much as they can to stop it really and I do understand why people get angry about it (I'm no longer a tout anyway, just a professional better which I'm sure most people approve of). I'd probably be annoyed like you guys if I didn't know how to pretty much get tickets for anything. But like you've seen with this latest batch, they're specifically telling people they won't get in without the ID of the name on the ticket and people are still paying hundreds for them. If someone turns up at the venue with a ticket without their name on are you really gonna turn them away knowing that they're probably a huge Radiohead fan and have paid absolutely loads for that ticket? I doubt it, the tout already has their money by that point so it doesn't really achieve anything. Again, like I said earlier that's probably the only place the likes of Seatwave are any good in that you'll always get what you pay for unlike some bloke stood outside the arena. Ticket re-sale sites are also pretty good for people selling tickets they can no longer use etc. There always used to be loads of gigs I wanted to go to but my mates were really unreliable and would be like "Oh, I dunno, I'll see nearer the time". So in those cases I would just get four standing tickets, see if anyone wanted to go and if no one wanted them I would just sell them on Seatwave (sometimes for a profit if I could, some I even sold under face value).

But yeah, the secret really is that it's all about pre-sales. I'd recommend signing up to fansite type things or newsletters for all your favourite artists and if there's ever a tour announcement just start looking for how to get in a pre-sale cause 9 times out of 10 there will be one. Make sure you use the Ticketmaster app too cause it's a bit easier to connect to than the website. If you do all that then you won't have to worry about touts anymore.

Just got an interesting PM.

Hey, saw your thread and thought I'd share my knowledge with you as someone who used to do a bit of touting a couple of years ago and someone who has actually got Radiohead tickets in Manchester. I can't post into your thread but if you could put it in there then that would be cool.

I first started touting about 3 years ago when I'd just started uni. I was just talking to a couple of guys on my course and one of them mentioned that he'd made 10k in a year selling tickets. As soon as I heard that I just thought "I'm having a piece of this". First couple of times I tried getting tickets I either got rubbish ones or just failed but after time I got better and I haven't failed at getting a ticket for something in about 2 and a half years.

Really it's all about being super organised and getting in pre-sales. If you get in the pre-sale, you'll get tickets. For instance, I got Justin Timberlake front row seats by being signed up to his fan club The Tennessee Kids. I got really good seats for Gary Barlow at the o2 by pre-ordering his album, same with Coldplay. Loads of bands give you a pre-sale code if you sign up to their mailing list. When I got tickets for Kasabian they actually had a pre-pre-sale, general sale was Friday, o2 priority Wednesday but on the Monday they had a pre-sale for people who had pre-ordered their new album on Amazon. Most people thought tickets weren't on sale till 9am on the Friday morning, I had four standing tickets for Leeds by 9:02 on Monday.

Back to Radiohead, they had a pre-sale for people who are signed up to their fan site and they announced this at the same as the tour dates and I think it was only for existing subscribers and no new ones were allowed to try and restrict it to just real fans (which I am, I'm acutally off to see them with my mate). But me and countless other touts will have been signed up to their site for ages. I'm signed up to absolutely loads of crap just because I know that they will eventually announce a tour. There's also a website that gives people up to date information of all tours that have been announced, when tickets are on sale, details of any pre-sale. It's called Beat the Touts, somewhat ironically as I'd wager nearly everyone who uses it is in fact a tout.

But yeah, other than being super organised I don't have any special agreement with Ticketmaster for them to set aside tickets for me or anything. I just make sure I find out about any pre-sale and then usually I sit at my laptop from about 8:45 and my dad does the same and whoever gets through buys some.

I've seen a lot of people slagging off Ticketmaster calling it a fix today with the Radiohead ones cause standing tickets were sold out by 9:01. That's because they all went on Wednesday and they're not actually allowing people to sell them on Seatwave or Get Me In! which are the ones they own so there's not really much they can do about it. All the tickets being sold are on StubHub and Viagogo. I don't really think there's much that anyone can do to stop it generally either while ever there's high demand for tickets. If Viagogo and StubHub weren't selling them then people would just sell them on Ebay or Gumtree or even just advertise it on Twitter. And if you couldn't sell it on there then people would just sell outside the arena. And people would buy them. Until there aren't people willing to pay massive amounts for them it will carry on happening. One good thing about buying through Seatwave and Get Me In! is that you are either guaranteed a genuine ticket or your money back. You might pay over the odds, but you will get what you pay for. Whereas if it's all just relegated to people on Ebay or outside venues then people will just constantly get ripped off.

I think the only way they could stop it would be to go to a Glastonbury type system where you have to register before hand with a photo of yourself that is then printed on your ticket, but that would be too expensive and hassle for most promoters and venues. The likes of Ticketmaster will cancel orders if you make duplicate ones but it's still pretty easy to get round if you know how their system works. For instance, I accidentally bought 8 standing tickets from Seetickets for Noel Gallagher without realising the limit was 4 so I messaged them on Twitter trying to blag it pretending to be a panicing guy who'd bought 8 standing tickets for him and his mates without realising and thought I would lose all of my friends money. They believed me and said to just give them one of my friends name and address and they put that on one of the orders, didn't even matter that my card was used for both. Just stuck my housemate at uni on the order and everything went through fine. Plus you can just get family members to do it for you as well with their cards. The lad who I was on about earlier who made 10k once bought tickets for a Calvin Harris gig. They were £30 each and had a limit of 6 per customer. In the pre-sale he bought 6 with his card, his dad's and his brother's then sold them all for about £90 each. Easy £900 just for getting up at 8:30. Some professional touts probably do have bots and stuff but I don't even think you need them to be honest if you know what you're doing. Touts won't have even been trying to get any today as general sale is just a lottery and there's no point even bothering half the time.

I think Radiohead have tried to do as much as they can to stop it really and I do understand why people get angry about it (I'm no longer a tout anyway, just a professional better which I'm sure most people approve of). I'd probably be annoyed like you guys if I didn't know how to pretty much get tickets for anything. But like you've seen with this latest batch, they're specifically telling people they won't get in without the ID of the name on the ticket and people are still paying hundreds for them. If someone turns up at the venue with a ticket without their name on are you really gonna turn them away knowing that they're probably a huge Radiohead fan and have paid absolutely loads for that ticket? I doubt it, the tout already has their money by that point so it doesn't really achieve anything. Again, like I said earlier that's probably the only place the likes of Seatwave are any good in that you'll always get what you pay for unlike some bloke stood outside the arena. Ticket re-sale sites are also pretty good for people selling tickets they can no longer use etc. There always used to be loads of gigs I wanted to go to but my mates were really unreliable and would be like "Oh, I dunno, I'll see nearer the time". So in those cases I would just get four standing tickets, see if anyone wanted to go and if no one wanted them I would just sell them on Seatwave (sometimes for a profit if I could, some I even sold under face value).

But yeah, the secret really is that it's all about pre-sales. I'd recommend signing up to fansite type things or newsletters for all your favourite artists and if there's ever a tour announcement just start looking for how to get in a pre-sale cause 9 times out of 10 there will be one. Make sure you use the Ticketmaster app too cause it's a bit easier to connect to than the website. If you do all that then you won't have to worry about touts anymore.
Very interesting. I googled pre-sale passwords for Band of Horses in Dublin (Pre-sale was a week before general sale and the venue is tiny) and found it pretty easily. 2 tickets, no queueing, no hassles.

For Jane's Addiction in London I was ready at 9am, signed in and ready to buy, said straight away it was sold out. Kept refreshing and at 9.15 seating tickets became available (obviously people who were queued on multiple devices didn't fulfill all sales). I guess the touts miscalculated the appeal of Jane's Addiction as I was able to swap the seated tickets for standing for an extra tenner at the door (compared to double the price they were going for online).

I had that Radiohead pre-sale email on Tuesday.

Generally the tickets pop on and off-sale for a good while... for example, i went on eventim at 10.00, when standing were marked as not available... ten mintes of refreshing later, and i managed to get one.

It's just boring persistance most of the time, no tricks. These events very rarely actually sell out that quickly, they just 'appear unavailable'.

True about the pre-sale thing though, i always look out for that. For example, i got pre-sale tickets for the Pretty Reckless last Tuesday from their website, nice and easy, no stress!

How can Seatwave be legal? People hoovering up tickets when they go on sale and reselling them immediately via Ticketmaster's website at extortionate prices. Queen went on sale this morning at an already eye watering €94 for standing and within minutes tickets were being advertised for €161 on Seatwave.

Tried to get LCD Soundsystem tickets this morning....... :(

Slightly different, but this brings back awful memories of refreshing with F5 on viagogo hoping a United ticket would come up for the big games.
Often spent hours doing so, but generally got one!

Slightly different, but this brings back awful memories of refreshing with F5 on viagogo hoping a United ticket would come up for the big games.
Often spent hours doing so, but generally got one!

I despise Viagogo but really appreciated United tickets being on there. The price was never crazy and I always managed to get a ticket for every game I wanted to attend, including big ones like Liverpool and City.

I despise Viagogo but really appreciated United tickets being on there. The price was never crazy and I always managed to get a ticket for every game I wanted to attend, including big ones like Liverpool and City.

Yep, even the harshest markup, of a £49 ticket to £75 all in wasn't too bad compared to their prices on say Wimbledon!