Biggest Ever All-Time Draft - SF: The Red Viper vs NM

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
The Red Viper

QeMHxmf.png

NM

bosmVwY.png

The Red Viper Tactics

We will play a 5-3-2 formation which can transition into a 3-4-3 during games when needed, with Rivaldo drifting out wide to the left as a left sided forward/second striker and Kalle as ther right wing forward/second striker. Sammer will have full license to make darting runs during the attacking phase and provide more nos in midfield.

The defense comprises of Zoff in goal with a back-5 of Alves, Cannavaro, Sammer, Förster and Brehme. Zoff who is usually considered a top-3/at worst Top-5 goalkeepers of all time, will be in goal. A fantastic all rounded goal-keeper with great leadership and organizing ability. Alves and Brehme will be the wing-backs in the team. Two of the best attacking full-backs ever with fantastic delivery and playmaking from the flanks. They will provide us with width and creativity down the flanks but at the same time were quite adept defensively as well. Sammer is one of the greatest sweepers ever. While he may not have had the longevity like a lot of great defenders, at his peak, in terms of impacting the game he was as good as any great defender. There's a reason he is one of the 3 defenders to have ever won Ballon D'or. Marshalled Germany to win UEFA Euros in 1996 and UEFA Champions League in 1997 with Dortmund. Partnering Sammer in the core of the central defense are Cannavaro and Förster. An all-time great, Cannavaro at his peak was such a complete defender. He was fast but at the same time extremely strong and despite his relatively shorter height, was excellent in the air thanks to his leap. Förster, one of the finest man-markers ever, could man-mark a top tier poacher like Hugo Sánchez as effectively as he could man-mark one of the greatest No 10s ever in Michel Platini, as he demonstrated during the 1986 FIFA World Cup. The two along with Sammer will form a defensive core that will be extremely hard to penetrate.

In midfield we are rolling with a double-pivot of Voronin and Luis Suárez. A proper midfield general, Valery Voronin is one of the Top-5 defensive midfielders ever. Voronin could stamp his authority on the game in a variety of ways. Technically gifted on the ball and a very smart passer who could break the lines and feed the attack with his passing. But make no mistake, while he was good at the attacking side of the game, where he made a name for himself was on the defensive side. His anticipation and positional awareness combined with excellent tackling and physicality made him a behemoth of a presence in midfield. Marking two Ballon D'or winners, Eusébio and Flórián Albert at their prime, out of the game and restricting their influence is no joke. Yet Voronin did it. Alongside Voronin in midfield is Luis Suárez Miramontes, "El Arquitecto". A deep-lying playmaker extraordinaire, Suárez was the architecht of "La Grande Inter" side under Helenio Herrera. Suárez was a master at controlling the game but at the same time possessed some of the best passing range and vision amongst the footballers to have laced 'em up. His ability to swiftly transition from defense to attack with his pinpoint and precise passing will be vital in us initiating swift counter attacks from the back and also find the attacking trio in the final third. Suárez's with his long range passing and vision can switch flanks at ease and also put in lofted balls over the defenses for the likes of Müller and Rummenigge to exploit when they run the channels.

In attack we have an attacking triumvirate of Gerd Müller, Rummenigge and Rivaldo. At No 10, we have the 1999 Ballon D'or winner, Rivaldo. One of the greatest players of the modern era, Rivaldo was a magician with the ball at his feet. Renowned for his technique, flair, sick close-control and a thunder-bolt of a left foot, Rivaldo would play between the lines. Along with dropping deep and providing through balls for Müller and Kalle, Rivaldo can also drift out wide and be a withdrawn left sided forward like he used to do in his prime with Barca, where he can link up with Brehme who will be stretching the game and providing the width down that flank. The two-time Ballon D'or winner in 1980 & 1981, Rummenigge would be playing in front of Rivaldo and off Gerd Müller in a second striker-ish/withdrawn forward role. Kalle was an athletic all-round forward, who could play across the front line be it as a wing-forward on both the sides, a second striker or upfront on his own, which made him as one of the most completed attackers the World has ever seen. His link-up play along with his incisive runs into the box from wide areas or deep will be a nightmare for opposition to defend. Rounding up the attack, up-front we have Gerd Müller, possibly the greatest goalscorer ever leading the line for us. With Alves and Brehme pumping in crosses from the flanks, Kalle, Rivaldo and Suárez creating and playmaking from centrally along with Sammer's runs from deep, there will be plenty of service to feed arguably the greatest No 9 ever.

NM Tactics

• Every single player is extremely comfortable on the ball (with the exception of Makelele but we all know what his role is).
  • The defense honestly has no gaps. Probably amongst the best sweeper/ ball playing defender and stopper combinations that can be had. Both full backs are exceptionally defensively sound + competent at going forward (C.Alberto more than Cole of course)
  • The midfield reverts to a natural 3. Makelele as a pure DM, Neeskens as a B2B creative, and Charlton with a more attacking remit. The idea is to control the game
  • The attacking threat comes from the creative midfield and the creative wingers to provide opportunities for Kocsis (one of the best ever in the air). Czibor, Hamrin and Charlton are all goal threats in their own right, and Neeskens is fantastic as box-to-box and a great playmaker in his own right as well. We also have the tried and trusted Czibor -> Kocsis axis.
The defense is marshalled by Scirea, with Stam covering for when he decides to get involved in midfield. Carlos Alberto and Cole are both fantastic fullbacks that can cover that as well.

I am a bit surprised NM dropped Bergomi. Bergomi made that defense quite daunting.

The midfields are quite close and defense, NM edges it. Scirea is the best defender on the pitch however my defense as a unit isn't that fair off. Attack however, I have a far superior attack which should help me win this. I think NM's attack while good is a bit underwhelming. And in Canna and Forster, I have the ideal players to negate Kocsis. Charlton would be a tough match-up, however, Voronin is probably one of the few who can shadow him and keep up with him. I don't expect Voronin to completely keep Charlton out of the game or anything but he would restrict his influence.

Would have the same questions to Viper & NM: Both Rivaldo and Stam are great options, but Kopa and Bergomi were already fantastic there, imo. What advantages do you guys see coming from that change?

But in general, two very strong teams. (I think my vote doesn't count, so no need to decide. But I see Viper's advantage in attack as a strong argument, at least.)

@The Red Viper What was the thinking of dropping Kopa for Rivaldo?
Hey! Tagging @Synco as well.

A couple of things.

Rivaldo imo was a better player. Its close but I personally rate Rivaldo higher and think he was better. Also, Rivaldo was a lot more explosive as a player. Would add more dynamism to the attack with his bursting runs in and around the final third. Kopa was an excellent dribbler as well but not as powerful a runner like Rivaldo was. Kopa was a better passer but I feel with Suarez dictating the play from deep and feeding the attack, Rivaldo's explosive and powerful runs would add another dimension to the attack which makes it even more dangerous. As Rivaldo could score bangers from distance if you give him space and with Muller and Kalle looking to run the channels and between the CBs and full-backs, there will be space which will open up which Rivaldo can punish you.

Second point being a bit more versatility in the sense, adding a left footed attacker to the attack to offer more variety as Rivaldo could drift out wide and link-up with Brehme where either of them could pump in crosses with their left peg for Muller and Kalle to exploit.

Maybe its just me, but I rate Rivaldo extremely high. Obviously Ronaldinho at his prime was a better but I feel Rivaldo wasn't that far behind in terms of prime. Rivaldo carried that Brazil attack when Ronaldo was injured during late 90s and early 00s and Ronaldinho had yet to burst into the scene. I think that dive vs Turkey and the fact that he didn't have much success with Barca in Europe kinda makes him underrated but man was so gifted and impactful as a player regardless of whatever system you used him in. A more possession based or more direct, Rivaldo was great in it.

His performance vs Valencia is probably one of the best individual and clutch performances I have seen. A must win game for Barca to qualify for UEFA Champions Legaue vs the then UCL finalist Valencia and man scored 3 absurd goals and a late winner to send Barca into next season's UCL.

You've made me warm to the Rivaldo pick by emphasising his crossing ability. That said I have always thought of him mostly as a creative forward rather than a playmaker and as a 10 in a 3412 he seems strange. I get the Suarez argument but I still think a secondary passer in midfield alongside Suarez , maybe in a 433, would free up Rivaldo a bit more.

You've made me warm to the Rivaldo pick by emphasising his crossing ability. That said I have always thought of him mostly as a creative forward rather than a playmaker and as a 10 in a 3412 he seems strange. I get the Suarez argument but I still think a secondary passer in midfield alongside Suarez , maybe in a 433, would free up Rivaldo a bit more.

Yes, Rivaldo isn't your old school orthodox no 10 but not all No 10s have to be of the same style no?

A Zidane is different than a Platini/Zico etc. Same with a Rivaldo vs Kopa.

They bring different things into the equation.

IMO it should work well. I think it would have been an issue if I had a midfield of say Davids/Vieira/Keane - Voronin or something like that but with a playmaker like Suarez there and Sammer as the libero, there shouldn't be an issue for passing in deep.

Yes, Rivaldo isn't your old school orthodox no 10 but not all No 10s have to be of the same style no?

A Zidane is different than a Platini/Zico etc. Same with a Rivaldo vs Kopa.

They bring different things into the equation.

IMO it should work well. I think it would have been an issue if I had a midfield of say Davids/Vieira/Keane - Voronin or something like that but with a playmaker like Suarez there and Sammer as the libero, there shouldn't be an issue for passing in deep.

Was Sammer's passing that good? I remember him more for his driving runs rather than his playmaking.

The thing is, I'd have Zidane, Platini, Zico and Kopa as playmakers but I never remember seeing that dominant playmaking style from Rivaldo,

Would have the same questions to Viper & NM: Both Rivaldo and Stam are great options, but Kopa and Bergomi were already fantastic there, imo. What advantages do you guys see coming from that change?

But in general, two very strong teams. (I think my vote doesn't count, so no need to decide. But I see Viper's advantage in attack as a strong argument, at least.)
I didn't have time. If I did would probably improve attack