Biggest All-Time Draft - SF: Prolifik vs Synco

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Prolifik

All-time4.png

Synco

SF_formation_2.png

Prolifik Tactics

The objective here is to leverage our speed and athleticism to deny the opposition space when we don't have the ball, and to strike quickly and directly when we do. Our back line will play high up the pitch, anchored by the central pairing of Van Dijk (the perfect high line defender) and Mozer, who has the combination of pace and intelligence to thrive in this system, and backed up by probably the GOAT sweeper-keeper in Neuer. Our midfield is now perfectly balanced with Rodri in the holding role, KDB adding the drive and directness, and Van Hanegem somewhere in between - he can play the simple pass and is very difficult to dispossess, but he's also a master at raking passes down the channels to spring the counter. He's also a tough, physical player who is willing to put a defensive shift in. The pressing starts from the front where Müller and Van Basten in particular are both tireless workers.

Down the right, our attack is unpredictable as Lahm can alternate between functioning as an inverted full-back - freeing up KDB to drift out wide where his crossing is a lethal weapon - or overlapping KDB himself. Müller is also a master at finding pockets of space, and with Van Basten also adept at running the channels, our movement on that flank will be tough for the opposition to plan against. The left side has more of an orthodox feel with the pace and directness of Mbappé and Robertson weaponised by the trademark incisive passing of Van Hanegem. We also have plenty of creativity through the middle with Van Basten, KDB, Van Hanegem, and Müller all capable of producing the killer through ball to unlock a tight defence, and we can go direct with crosses and long passes to Van Basten.

Synco Tactics

• Plan A: rapid counters out of a compact defense
  • Otherwise, plenty of technical ability to move the ball in possession as well. Open up the opposition defense with the collective arsenal of dribblings, passes, movement, one-twos. This includes Davids and the fullbacks, who are proper attacking threats.

New players, Platini role

With the arrival of Robben, Platini goes midfield general even more. Davids replaces Dunga, which adds an elite BTB element and gives Platini complete license to run the game from the center of the park.

Defense: Ferri vs. van Basten

Ferri has been a formidable opponent to van Basten throughout their time in Serie A. Thuram enters the battle as the second center back.

Offense: Robben, Blokhin, Benzema

• The wide forward duo of Robben and Blokhin will attack the opposition fullbacks with abnormal pace, speed dribblings, and drive towards goal.
  • Benzema between & around them, all-time great blend of F9 playmaker and match-winning CF.
  • The front three moves freely in transition, with Platini & others pushing up in the second wave.

Last edited:
easily my favorite sides in the draft, leaning towards prolifik because of neuer but will see the debate first

@Synco What was the thinking behind switching Boniek for Robben?

@Šjor Bepo If Prol is playing like he did against me, KDB will be at CM in the organised defensive phase as he will transition into a 442 - do you buy KDB there?

Out of possession, Rodri patrols Platini's zone supported by Van Hanegem. KDB steps up to pressure Davids. We are happy to let Mauro Silva have possession as he isn't a very constructive passer.

Out of possession, Rodri patrols Platini's zone supported by Van Hanegem. KDB steps up to pressure Davids. We are happy to let Mauro Silva have possession as he isn't a very constructive passer.
Are you going 442 out of possession again? If so, who is LM?

@Synco What was the thinking behind switching Boniek for Robben?
Different things. One is to shake things up a little from round to round. The round 2 side was peak theme for me, little left to improve on that front. Especially with these player blocks, Tigana taken, etc. So that was done, and I looked for new ways.

But I also wanted to specifically up the wide threat, with an eye on the remaining teams. Not that Boniek is lacking anything, except maybe scoring consistency. But Robben is still a different beast - especially when it comes to end product, but imo a tier above as a wide threat in general.

And I think it worked out here: Blokhin and Robben vs a high line, with Platini's passing from behind and Benzema moving between them? I like prolifik's backline, but that's a hell of an ask for any defense.

Last edited:
Synco's wide threat is way too much for prolifik's side to handle in my opinion. There's no way to balance out dealing with the midfield whilst dealing with those full backs and wingers out wide. At this stage when all sides are at a super high level, prolifik's full backs are going to struggle without any help from elsewhere. The midfield can't go out wide as they can't just win their 1-on-1 battles by default (Davids is an incredible dribbler, and Platini is so tough to man-mark), so the onus is on Mbappé and Müller, and when it comes to Mbappé, I don't see him as being capable of fulfilling that responsibility.

Different things. One is to shake things up a little from round to round. The round 2 side was peak theme for me, little left to improve on that front. Especially with these player blocks, Tigana taken, etc. So that was done, and I looked for new ways.

But I also wanted to specifically up the wide threat, with an eye on the remaining teams. Not that Boniek is lacking anything, except maybe scoring consistency. But Robben is still a different beast - especially when it comes to end product, but imo a tier above as a wide threat in general.

And I think it worked out here: Blokhin and Robben vs a high line, with Platini's passing from behind and Benzema moving between them? I like prolifik's backline, but that's a hell of an ask for any defense.

I thought that would be the reason. I just think with Blokhin, Benezma and Platini, Boniek's amazing off the ball movement adds more to the team than Robben's increased goal threat.

A very close battle from both sides

I believe that Blokhin and Robben in a counter-attack setup, with Platini as the one delivering long balls, form one of the most terrifying combinations. If they manage to break the press, I can see exceptional long passes followed by clinical finishes from the three up front, including Platini. At the same time, Prolifik boasts a midfield trio that I consider capable of truly controlling the game. They possess excellent passing, dribbling, and exceptional ball-plating skills. In a compact defense, I see constant threats from long-range shots by KDB, Rodri, and Van Hanegem, all three of whom are capable of testing the goalkeeper from a distance. Meanwhile, with two lightning-fast wingers and Benzema, Synco's team could break any high defensive line in the world.

I envision Prolifik pressing in a 4-4-2 shape, with MVB and Muller leading the press in the attacking third. A key factor for Synco is Davids – he needs to have a perfect game when it comes to carrying the ball, dribbling, and passing without being sloppy during pressing situations. If not, Platini would have to drop too deep, exhausting him before he can get into the box. He’d be forced to help with ball progression from deeper areas, much like his brother/friend in the 1998 match against Real Madrid( in that case, Zidane dropped too deep because Davids had an off-day in that game). If Platini is surrounded by in-form players(in this game), I believe he can be a game-changer, as he won't face a dedicated man-marker like in the old days. Instead, he'll be up against zonal marking and intense pressing, making decisions more difficult. Pro's attackers are well-known and can break any defensive line by their qualities.

I believe the outcome of the match could go in many directions, with all three results possible. If Prolifik's full-backs lose focus or concentration for even a moment, they could be punished severely by the wingers on both sides. And in my unpopular opinion, Synco's(@Synco ) team is essentially the 1974 Poland squad on steroids (in terms of player quality). It's almost a copy carbon of them( or even all-time players in Poland 1974 style).

I thought that would be the reason. I just think with Blokhin, Benezma and Platini, Boniek's amazing off the ball movement adds more to the team than Robben's increased goal threat.
I think Robben is severely underrated in terms of overall game.

He was such a complete player, and excellent in many things, including his timing/off the ball movement. What's casually remembered is usually a rather reduced version of his actual self, but in reality his pass and move game, decisionmaking (especially in his later years), creative passing, reading of situations, and so on, was all top notch. He was so hard to defend because he could switch between multiple options in a split second. For example, a big reason his "one trick pony" move worked so well was because defenders couldn't fully anticipate and commit - he often played surprising passes (including through balls) out of these moves, so defenders had to react in real time to his decisions & were always kept on edge.

After all, he was at his best in a full-on possession setup (like Bayern under Guardiola) and in a full-on counter setup (like Netherlands 2014). That's the same time period. Not many players can deliver that range of abilities, imo.

But it's true that Boniek's brand of forward/winger/midfielder game would have been great too (and he was really fast too). I nevertheless think this current setup is the right one for this game.

I've probably got a minor preference for the personnel on Pro's team. But looking at some of the key match-ups (Thuram against Mbappe; Ferri against Van Basten; Davids/Mauro v VH/KDB) it feels like Synco has the right fits on the whole to mitigate those key threats. At the same time, the pace of Blokhin and Robben against a high line with Platini in the hotseat appears decisive.

A few general comments on the match. As to be expected, this is a classic game of possession vs transition football. Which makes for an interesting encounter.

I think prolifik's team is extremely well designed for that purpose, and the Neuer pick is gold, even with ter Stegen already there. Only question mark I see is if Mbappé is "hungry" enough defensively for a high press system. The consistency of the forwards is crucial to the efficiency of that approach. Otherwise I'd rather argue on the strengths of my team again, than try to find any flaws.

Generally, a lot will be depend on the press vs counter battle. What I'd count in prolifik's favour is that Schumacher, as a classic 80s keeper, may be triggered into clearing it more often than I'd like. At least in the absence of any deeper analysis of his ball-playing potential in the pre-backpass rule era, which I can't provide. Ferri is obviously an unknown quantity vs modern full press as well, but he's neat on the ball, and I think he can play around the press in many situations. But I'd still instruct him to hoof it, if necessary.

The rest is more than fine imo, including Mauro, who is one of those Brazilian defensive players whose level of skill can get underrated due to his no-nonsense profile.

So my prediction would be that prolifik's side may find some opportunities to force clearances and win the high ball afterwards. Hopefully no dangerous turnovers. But overall there's plenty of ball-playing ability in my team, and balls will get through to Platini and the front three. Which is where my main offensive argument starts.

Some remarks on press resistance in midfield:

Platini is so tough to man-mark
I think this is important to highlight. Platini operated in the most congested spaces, was often man-marked and kicked around, yet he regularly imposed himself on these games. To me, this kind of toughness is a major factor in what made him one of the greatest footballers of all time. It allowed him to play to his full potential even under heavy pressure. I'd say this bodes well for the challenges he'll face in this game.

We are happy to let Mauro Silva have possession as he isn't a very constructive passer.
As I said, it would be a mistake to underestimate his ability on the ball. If you grant him space like that, he can absolutely step up.

Example for his top end on the ball:

(But tbh, this wasn't how he played in every game. )

Here's Mauro's equivalent to the "Cafu rainbow flick over Nedved" moment:

Last edited:
@prolifik

Glad to have made it, but the result is total nonsense. Reflects the flaws of the all or nothing voting system more than anything else.

I wasn't really able to contribute much since I was under pressure at work all day.
That's life, happened to people a lot in this draft.
Turns out I needn't have bothered. :lol:
It's strange, as I think this game would have been the basis for an excellent discussion. Both for the particular matchup and because it's really a 50-50 affair.

Anyway, want to say that the mix of classic and modern players in your team is really well done. That midfield for example is perfection.

@prolifik

Glad to have made it, but the result is total nonsense. Reflects the flaws of the all or nothing voting system more than anything else.

It has its flaws but we have tried with other methods and they didn't really work. Allowing voters to pick draws just encourages lazy draw picks. We also experimented with each voter picking the score but for reasons I don't remember that too didn't work.

It has its flaws but we have tried with other methods and they didn't really work. Allowing voters to pick draws just encourages lazy draw picks. We also experimented with each voter picking the score but for reasons I don't remember that too didn't work.
I know, not saying it can be done differently. Just that one of its flaws is producing silly scorelines like this sometimes.

I think the scorelines worked fine - no reason why we can't do these imo - but it was probably simpler just to have 2 options.

Scoreline is clearly ridiculous, but just feeds into the 'who gives a feck about who wins' vibe of the sub-forum in general these days. It's not necessarily a bad thing IMO. The actual drafting part is the fun bit, and I tend to think of that as an interactive crossword. Just something to keep the mind active and interact with posters with similar interests, away from the vitriol of the main forums.

I've probably got a minor preference for the personnel on Pro's team. But looking at some of the key match-ups (Thuram against Mbappe; Ferri against Van Basten; Davids/Mauro v VH/KDB) it feels like Synco has the right fits on the whole to mitigate those key threats. At the same time, the pace of Blokhin and Robben against a high line with Platini in the hotseat appears decisive.

As regards the match itself, I instinctively want to give both a well-designed high line defence and modern players the benefit of the doubt, as both get unduly shat on in here, but Synco looks uncommonly well-placed to exploit it.

Scoreline is clearly ridiculous, but just feeds into the 'who gives a feck about who wins' vibe of the sub-forum in general these days. It's not necessarily a bad thing IMO. The actual drafting part is the fun bit, and I tend to think of that as an interactive crossword. Just something to keep the mind active and interact with posters with similar interests, away from the vitriol of the main forums.

I like that, for people that don't have the inclination or time to play the drafts it gives a chance to talk about a wide variety of retired players too (as long as its appropriate to the match at hand). There's not many good places to do that online anymore.