Biggest All-Time Draft - R2: Synco vs Ralaks

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
R2_team.png

vs

lineup-14.png

Team Synco

Platini_-_Benz_-_Tevez.jpg

LET'S GO!
Post above is the "writeup". Sorry, didn't have time for a proper one. Will add comments during match discussion later today.

Team Ralaks

General:

A differently aligned variation of my 4-3-2-1 from the R1, moving to a front two with Haaland instead of Hazard to force more bodies in the penalty area, as well as allowing Michael Laudrup to be completely central and the pivotal point, which suits him fantastically. Structurally similar to Real Madrid’s consecutive CL wins 2017 & 2018 where they played a similar formation, with no direct wingers.

Attack:

• Laudrup will be the creative spark, he will be allowed to do his thing in attack from his ideal position.
  • Haaland the poacher, similar to his City role (and Ronaldo in the two Real Madrid wings) he is not expected to do any defensive work but try and force uncertainty by his natural presence and goal scoring ability. Might be early to pick him in a all-time draft, but still already has 180 goals in 190 games in PL + Bundesliga, I’d argue his “peak” is above many strikers used in this draft, so I have no concerns.
  • Lastly Cantona will serve several functions, he will add an additional threat in the penalty area, to help Haaland not be isolated from and doubled up against. Secondly, he is also very able to drop deep and/or serve as a target man using his strength to cover the ball and playing either Laudrup or Haaland through.
Midfield:

• Kante the defensive anchor, arguably one of the best at this over the past decade.
  • Vieira & Scholes complement each other very well – it’s not too farfetched that they would be considered the midfield two in ‘all-time premier league XI’s depending on which fan base is asked.
Defense:

• Fullbacks expected to do similarly as in the 4-3-2-1 formation. Provide width, which they both excel at. Upgrading Alaba to Marcelo was a bit hard to decide on, as they are close, but Marcelo offers a bit more offensively without being completely devoid of any defensive ability. Also won the CL several times playing as the left back in this very formation, so he knows the role expected and can perform it without worry.
  • Was torn between a few pairings here, but ultimately, I think Olsen and Ramos are the most complementary pair. Ramos seems to be a bit underrated here I feel, but he is arguably Real Madrid & Spain’s best ever defender, might have a bit of a nasty streak, but ultimately, he is a winner, who has performed at the very top of the game for a decade, winning 4 CL’s, which you don’t if you are a numpty.
  • Morten Olsen, very tactically intelligent, could probably play almost everywhere on the pitch at a very high level, but what he really adds here is a) insane ball handling, adds another creative outlet, can pass the ball as beautifully as the top midfielders, and is comfortable taking a man on if he deems it the correct pick and b) balance to Ramos more aggressively and high-risk style, where he will be the more conservative defender covering when Ramos pushes up against a forward. Added a few clips of him in spoilers.

Love that magic square from Synco. Ancelotti is a really underrated player.

Think Kante should be swapped with Scholes here. Kante is the archetypal box-to-box midfielder, not a holder like Makelele. The older version of Scholes could work as a deep-lying Pirlo type.

I liked Synco's side better in R1. I need to watch the Tevez comp but would prefer someone who spent more time outwide than him.

Love that magic square from Synco. Ancelotti is a really underrated player.

Think Kante should be swapped with Scholes here. Kante is the archetypal box-to-box midfielder, not a holder like Makelele. The older version of Scholes could work as a deep-lying Pirlo type.
Agreed. On one hand he’s the guy who you’d want buzzing around Platini. But I’d prefer him and Vieira doing the box-to-box shuttling with Scholes at the base.

Very tasty from Synco - the pieces of the jigsaw slot together here seamlessly.

Good luck @Ralaks, first of all. Apologies for not submitting a writeup, but that was the "price" for starting it today. Will post some thoughts on the matchup now.

You have a very nice team there! It has several of the modern players for whom I regularly tune(d) in to their teams (Kanté, Haaland, Marcelo). Would have loved to see Hazard once more, who'd be #1 on that list. But in the setup you chose, Cantona is the right choice, of course.

I agree that switching Kanté and Scholes would be better. Kanté needs freedom and verticality to fully play out his strengths. Not sure if you know, but if you want to, you can still change the formation, like others have also done.

Last edited:
But that's about the only thing I have to say. So my main argument doesn't rely on any tactical issues, but rather on the strength of my own team. I think that, in relatively similar setups, I do have some key advantages in individual quality, most of all in attack and defense.

At their peaks, Ballon d'Or Benzema edges out Haaland, same with Platini vs Laudrup. (As strong as your players are in their own right). I also think my backline is quite a bit better defensively. Will post something on Ferri later.

The rest can be argued this way or that - as long as Kanté isn't used as an anchor, that is. But I'd say in terms of individual class and synergy, my midfield four in its entirety holds up. As for keepers, Kahn is surely the greater one.

Last edited:
I liked Synco's side better in R1. I need to watch the Tevez comp but would prefer someone who spent more time outwide than him.
Don't quite get it yet, tbh. Here, Benzema and Tevez are a "classic" forward pair of hypermobile #9 and hypermobile support striker. In R1, Tevez was actually more explicity tasked with going wide. It's not really my favourite way of looking at draft teams, but in terms of expectable player usage, shouldn't this setup even be the "cleaner" one?

Concerning width, in my book Benzema, Tevez, Boniek were all happy to operate half-wide and wide. Do take a look at that compilation, I'll also put up a post with footage and heatmaps. Here, they have lots of freedom to move around Platini, supported by overlapping fullbacks. Each of the quartet can play the others on, or go for goal themselves.

Don't quite get it yet, tbh. Here, Benzema and Tevez are a "classic" forward pair of hypermobile #9 and hypermobile support striker. In R1, Tevez was actually more explicity tasked with going wide. It's not really my favourite way of looking at draft teams, but in terms of expectable player usage, shouldn't this setup even be the "cleaner" one?

Concerning width, in my book Benzema, Tevez, Boniek were all happy to operate half-wide and wide. Do take a look at that compilation, I'll also put up a post with footage and heatmaps. Here, they have lots of freedom to move around Platini, supported by overlapping fullbacks. Each of the quartet can play the others on, or go for goal themselves.

I misremembered your previous side, I thought you had a winger as well as Boniek. Yes, this side is better than your last. Benzema for Charles makes much more sense in this system

Went with Ralaks. That’s a very good side in my view and should dominate in the middle of the park with the right types playing the right roles. Needs a Ramos upgrade.

Not getting the magic square feeling with Synco’s side here. Incorrect player fits here and there.

Not getting the magic square feeling with Synco’s side here. Incorrect player fits here and there.
Fair enough as your takeaway, of course. Just want to clarify that this isn't an attempt to do a copy, but to build a functional 4222 in its own right.

Ended up being more busy than I expected yesterday, so didn't really have time to participate, but doubt I could have changed much by posting more hehe.

In hindsight I guess swapping Kante and Scholes could change the balance of the formation, but I was more going for a Scholes potentially arriving into the box than the deeper playmaker, but probably would have worked better with the deeper version..

So far Synco's team is my favorite of the lot. Great execution and like how everyone slots in their role. Probably should consider upgrading Ancelotti and Ferri, but rest look mint.

As for Ralaks - Kante and Scholes should definitely be swapped. I don't like Scholes as a side midfielder in a diamond and Kante is much better as a b2b instead of holder so their roles should be reversed. Apart from that I dont really rate Ramos and he's a liability waiting to happen.

In a reversed roles (Scholes/Kante) would have been a great diamond in terms of midfield and 2 attacking full backs in Marcelo and Zambrotta.

All in all I think Ralaks just needed another upgrade or two here and there to make it spot on.

Regardless of the score, this is a player I wanted to feature for some time now. Maybe it helps further establishing him in the draft pool, as I think he absolutely deserves it.

Riccardo Ferri
or: the man who kept Vierchowod out of the national team

CBaxTtdVEAA5inQ.jpg

Why not start out with arguably the best defensive unit of all time? From 1988 to 1992, Italy's A defense under Azeglio Vicini was entirely a Milan affair: two AC players, two Inter players. (Franco) Baresi, Maldini, and Bergomi are legends of the game (and in terms of drafts: absolute top picks). But the fourth man wasn't named Vierchowod or Ferrara – it was Riccardo Ferri.

The reasons for this may have been clear back then, but must be somewhat reconstructed today. Ferri certainly suffers the fate of a number of great Italian defenders: The upper ranks of that historic group are so utterly iconic that they tend to unfairly outshine their compatriots of "lesser" profile. Not so much in Italy itself though, where Ferri is well known as an Inter legend and prolific NT player.

But seeing Ferri play for Italy, it's immediately clear that he was an integral part of that defense. He was absolutely at home in that company. I'll try to describe what kind of defender he was, and why he had that status during his playing days.

Match compilation vs Uruguay, 1990 World Cup

s.jpg

I begin with an all-touch compilation of Ferri in his prime, as part of aforementioned Italy defense. Youtube/FIFA blocked it, so a sendvid link must do.

https://sendvid.com/wcnexn4w

This is Italy's first knockout match of the 1990 World Cup vs the Uruguayan team of Enzo Francescoli and Ruben Sosa. Italy won 2-0 in dominant fashion, fueling the (ultimately futile) hopes of a triumph on home soil.

All of Ferri's features and virtues are on display here, both defensively and on the ball.

Player profile

I'll just describe what I see in that video: a quick, highly mobile defender with a great sense of timing and distance, and allround situational awareness (as a showcase, see the breakdown from 6:20 to 7:20). He was well accustomed to the physicality and roughness of 1980s defending, but at the same time a classy footballer who combined physicality and aerial ability with anticipation and a certain tidiness.

Many of his clearances are down to quick reading of the opponent's movements, and just sticking a leg out at the right time. I've come around to see this sort of unspectacular, low-key defending as a sign of a great defender –less effort signifies more control.

But of course Ferri was also that tenacious, rock-hard stopper who went head to head with elite center forwards, and had the prowess to hold his own in these duels – or come out on top.

The best known quote about him is certainly the one from Marco van Basten. Several versions and sources exist, and I've also seen the exact meaning being discussed. But in essence, the Dutch GOAT striker named Ferri among the top markers he faced in his time in the Serie A, alongside Kohler, Vierchowod, and Bergomi. (I'm working on a compilation of a direct duel between Ferri and van Basten, but it will take a bit longer.)

Another feature to talk about is Ferri's control of the ball and passing range. While Baresi was the principal ball progressor in that backline, Ferri was a fine footballer and passer himself. His ball control and body coordination was smooth and effortless, his passes had the right speed, weight, spin, and he could hit precise long and diagonal balls.

Ferri vs Vierchowod

s.jpg

I think all of the above can offer an explanation why Vicini opted for Ferri over Vierchowod for the stopper role in his Zona Mista defense.

Vierchowod may be the most athletic defender ever, and to me he was at his best when he could hunt down and dominate a player, including using that amount of calculated brutality permissible in the '80s and early '90s. If you want someone to mark Maradona, there's your man.

Vierchowod wasn't a one-dimensional player, but Ferri still seems like the more well-rounded option – and nevertheless one of the world's best man-markers of his day. And since Vicini's defense was one that heavily relied on control and versatility, an assumption can be made why Ferri got the nod ever since his debut in 1986. A similar argument can probably made for Sacchi's choice of Costacurta over Ferri and Bergomi, when he took over and installed a modern zonal defense inside a pressing system in 1992.

But to focus on Italy's defense under Vicini one last time: What I love so much about this backline is the fusion of individual and collective excellence – Bergomi and Maldini could be center back, while Ferri could go to the outside – Baresi could track down a forward, with Ferri or Bergomi acting as temporary sweeper. The sense for mutual assistance was outstanding, and that thicket of world class defenders was the main reason this defense was so hard to crack. And more, each defender could progress the ball with ease, and rely on the others as safe recipients of difficult passes in (albeit sporadic) instants of facing pressure. The level of collective coordination and flexible, seamless interaction is just beautiful. For me, that backline was the pinnacle of classic defending.

Bits and facts

Ferri was a graduate of Inter's academy and made his professional debut in 1981. He therefore spent his career right inside the greatest period of the Serie A, and club football altogether. His career peak certainly being a key part of the great Inter side of the late '80s to early '90s, which (probably not coincidentally) matched with Ferri's stint in the national team. He left Inter in 1994 and retired at Sampdoria in 1996.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ferri's direct record vs van Basten is pretty dope:
Riccardo_Ferri_vs_Marco_van_Basten.png

I'm usually not so much into these kinds of "played against" stats, as they're ultimately a matter of XI vs XI. I think they often suggest a causality that is hard to prove at best, or may not be there entirely. (Also, not scoring =/= bad game.) But since Ferri was actually the primary marker of van Basten, this statistic makes some sense, I guess.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

In the 3626 minutes (in 45 games) Ferri was on the pitch for the national team, the Italians conceded 12 (!) goals from open play, plus one penalty and direct free kick each. That's a goal against every 259 minutes (302 from open play). This is again never down to one player, but testament to the insane defensive quality of Italy's team in that period.

Attempt on placing Ferri among the plethora of great historic defenders - and in drafts

Based on footage and research, I have the impression that the main reason Ferri is rarely named among top defenders of similar profile is probably that he's Italian. Rosato and possibly Collovati (I know little about the latter) come to mind. Outside of local lore and historically interested football discussion, even names like Ferrara and Vierchowod aren't as prominent as they should be.

So my hunch is: if Ferri, as the very same player, was of any other nationality, there's a good chance he'd be right up there with the top names of that nation, like, say, Karlheinz Förster for Germany. I'd also argue he's one of the pre-2000s defenders who'd still be comfortable in the modern game. While he was clearly a product of the 1980s era of man-marking, I don't think he'd depend on this modus of the game in the way others likely would. Neither in terms of defending, nor when it comes to ball-playing ability. Other qualities of his would come into the foreground. In that sense, I see him alongside cultured classic stoppers like Kohler and Bergomi, of whom I'd say the same.

To put it all into a statement: Based on ability, a case can be made that Ferri should be placed somewhere in the range of acknowledged great defenders like Costacurta, Vierchowod, Ferrara, Förster. His selection over Vierchowod by Vicini seems practical proof that top level coaches of his time have seen it that way. His draft status is obviously not there at all, so I want to open up the discussion, and also listen to contrary views. Overlooked top defender, or not that good?

Finally: some cool videos

Ferri wasn't a prolific scorer, but some of the long range goals he did score are fun, and testament to his fine overall technique:

Last edited:
Good game @Ralaks. Really liked the draft choices you made, most of all the integration of modern players I admire.

Good game @Ralaks. Really liked the draft choices you made, most of all the integration of modern players I admire.

Cheers, good luck in the coming rounds.

Many of my picks were a bit forced I guess, I dont know many players pre-90ies, and I don't like picking ones I have no idea about

Cheers, good luck in the coming rounds.

Many of my picks were a bit forced I guess, I dont know many players pre-90ies, and I don't like picking ones I have no idea about
lovely team apart from scholes kante thing and ramos at the back who i personally dont rate at all.

Hope you stick with us for many drafts to come :)