Ask The Opposition 2013/14: Chelsea (Premier League - Home)

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
ato21rlh0.png
Twitter: @RedCafe_ATO
Previous ATOs:
Wigan (Community Shield)
Swansea (Premier League - Away)

Welcome to the return of Ask The Opposition. Before each game United plays this season, myself and KM will be asking fans of the opposing team some questions and we'll post a selection of responses in threads like this one.

After this, we're playing Liverpool in the league, so if anyone has any questions which they'd like to be asked, either reply to this thread with them, tweet @RedCafe_ATO or send myself and KM a PM.

This week, with us playing Chelsea in the Premier League on Monday, I asked Chelsea fans on subreddit r/chelseafc some questions. Some of you may remember that we asked them some questions last season (responses of which you can see here) and because of the response then we decided to ask them some questions again. Here is what was asked this time, and their responses:

Q1: What are your thoughts/comments on what happened to you last season?

EnglishMD: Last season was one of the most awkward and uncomfortable in Chelsea history, the entire Rafa reign was beset with criticism and a lack of faith, much of it deserved and much of it justifiable. He wasn't judged unfairly, he still got a polite round of applause during his final game and lap around the pitch. We underperformed for both Di Matteo and Rafa, low points include the 4-1 drubbing to Atletico, the loss to Corinthians in the WCC, losing to QPR. It was a season that could have been a disaster, rescued by winning the Europa League and finishing 3rd

lawschoolzombie: We did alright last season. Especially considering the turmoil with the manager and the squad issues. To be honest, since Carlo left, I've always felt that Chelsea have been a team in transition looking for an identity. Hopefully with Jose back, we will see us come into our own soon.

hazmata: It was a shame that Di Matteo was sacked, he wasn't doing that badly and we were slightly unlucky to get knocked out of the champions league group stages on away goals. No one wanted Rafa, he did an OK job in the end but his appointment was very disruptive. It was nice to win Europa but we did poor in the league.

lachiendupape: Tumultuous is the word that springs to mind, a large part of the home crowd were obviously not happy with the appointment of Benitez and it split the club in my opinion. But that being said apart from some very poor performances in the league and a disastrous group stage of the champions league we won a trophy and gained CL qualification, again. It wasn't out finest hour, but we showed we're a European team to contend with still and the winning mentality has not left the club.

foolweasel: We did as well as could be expected with such a toxic atmosphere due to the majority of the supporters hating Rafa. Counting on Torres as our primary striker during a slump in form helped contribute to a generally underwhelming attack. David Luiz and Eden Hazard had great showings, nonetheless, and we came on strong to make sure we'd be in CL this season. I wouldn't call it a failure, but it never felt like we were going to contend for the league championship.

Q2: What are your expectations for this season?

EnglishMD: This season we have our talisman back, expectations are higher and justifiably so due to returning loan players, new acquisitions and of course, Mourinho. While looking to reach the top within his first season is an overly ambitious target, I'm hoping to see the club in the mix for the title to the very end, a strong cup run and a strong showing in the Champions League. We have a better squad than last season and more numbers, combined with fewer games we are hoping to see improvement in all areas

i4foot: At least a trophy. Competition for the league is tough this season, so at least top 2, hopefully beating both of the Manchester clubs to the league title. I would love to regain the FA Cup and hopefully do a lot better in the Champions league this time round.

lachiendupape: I think we need to have a much better run at the title this season and get to the semi's of the CL at least for it to have been a successful season, I'd really like to see the young players given starts in the league cup all the way through the comp. I think we have a very exciting squad this year, we're only lacking a 20 league goal as season striker.

dragonsky: Top 3 for sure and if we get chance we can win the title. But still top 3 or top 2 would be enough.

Q3: With Jose Mourinho back at the club, how do you feel he has settled in? Are you glad he is back?

EnglishMD: We suspected it would take him all of 5 seconds to settle in, he may have needed less time than that. The loudest reception I've ever heard a manager receive and his name will continue to be sung out like it has been since the first game in 2004. He's our man and his success cast a shadow over all proceeding managers. There's nobody I'd rather have standing on the touchline and I believe there's nowhere else he'd rather be

hazmata: We are very, very lucky to have Mourinho back, as a season ticket holder I am relieved that we have a manager with such an amazing home record and very excited about the coming season. He has settled in fine and I am enjoying his comments, its all very early days though.

AndThisIsWhatHeSaid: Wish we'd kept Rafa, to be honest. I loved that guy. He should get a statue outside the Bridge.

thejanitorch4: He seems to have settled in very quickly, pictures and reports from pre-season and training always have him with a smile on his face, laughing with the players. I'm delighted he's back.

i4foot: I’m ecstatic knowing he is back in the Chelsea dug out. Loves the club, the club loves him. Hopefully a recipe for success. Done well so far, playing good football especially in the first half of games. Just need to keep that going in the 2nd half as well.

Q4: Is there anything that you've noticed that he has changed about the way you play?

EnglishMD: It's too early to tell and we're still in the transfer window. Mourinho likes a counter-attacking style of play with 0 defensive errors and wide men to stretch out the opposition and create space for runners from midfield. We were one of the most narrow teams out there last season with Hazard, Oscar and Mata all trying to occupy the same space, we'll see more tactical discipline and a shake up of the first team to bring about the wider style of play

lawschoolzombie: Defence is definitely less leakier. Transition is (as is typical of Jose) lightning quick. We come out of the blocks firing all gunds (atleast based on the Hull and Villa game), we should look to not fade out is all.

lachiendupape: Well we've only had 2 games and pre-season but the initial though is we seem to be quicker coming out from our own half, which bodes well as long as we can get back quick enough, this has sometimes been a weakness of ours over the last few seasons.

TrollPad: Especially against Hull, I think our attacking band seemed to have more of an idea to do with the ball, and the overall passing in the final third was more fluid. Ramires is becoming Makelele 2.0. His passing and breaking down of the play is becoming a lot better than before in addition to his engine he can be an important piece to this team.

Q5: In his managerial career so far, Mourinho hasn't been at a club for longer than three years. Do you think he will be here for the long haul this time?

hazmata: I wouldn't get my hopes up but from the sounds of it he wants to settle in England. I like to think Abramovich realises we won't find anyone better and will give him time if things go wrong. Anything can happen though.

AndThisIsWhatHeSaid: Well the 'long haul' doesn't happen too often at any club. People point to Wenger and Ferguson, but they are the anomalies. I'd be happy with three years again. If he fancies doing something different and building a legacy like his idol Ferguson, then I'd obviously be delighted, too. Of course we don't live in a fantasy world and Roman could pull the trigger at any moment.

Notable, I think, is the fact that he's got a four year deal - which he didn't even get first time around, so the intention is there, but as ever with us we do like a sacking - even before Roman we were a hire and fire team.

thejanitorch4: I think he wants to hone our young talent into the best it can be. Wether Abramovich gets tired of him we'll have to wait and see but I think he wants to stay.

i4foot: I think so. I think he will be here for at least 5 years (a long time for us). With any luck the board agrees with the majority with the fans and keep him for the long haul.

TrollPad: Yes I do, although quite clearly he has said that he wants to stay for longer than 4 years to please the supporters, I think he understands it's time for him to settle down and stay in one place. He has also achieved everything there is in major European club football. His only challenge now may be to create a 'Ferguson-esque' dynasty.

Q6: Mourinho has made it clear that he wants to sign Rooney, and has said that he is the one signing he wants to make. Do you think he will get his man, and if not, are you comfortable with your forward options as they are, or would you like to see another player come in, and if so, who?

lawschoolzombie: At this point of time it's actually a toss up on whether he will get Rooney. But I hope he does. If not, I'm told that Lewandowski (pardon the spelling) and Etoo are on the radar. I would be happy with Lewa, not so much Etoo (unless Etoo is happy with a 50-60% reduction in salary).

In either case, to be clear, Jose knows what he's doing. By being this public with his approach for Rooney and making him the center of everybody's attention, he's definitely disrupted the United squad rappo and that's what he has been going for. He wants Rooney, thats for sure. But if he doesn't get Rooney, he will have sufficient caused anxiety in the United dressing room, which also helps him. In my opinion, Rooney should come to Chelsea and United should put their ego aside and sell, if a player doesn't want to stay, why force him? And if Rooney comes to Chelsea, I don't see anybody stoppping us from winning the Title and making a deep run in the UCL/FA Cup. Who knows, Rooeny could be the RvP to our treble.

AndThisIsWhatHeSaid: Well Torres and Ba aren't good enough and Lukaku is barely removed from the womb, despite being the size of a JCB. Rooney would be perfect for us, absolutely perfect. The problem is that United know that and, I think, won't sell to us under any circumstances. When we get the final 'no' I think we'll go for Eto'o.

lachiendupape: Yes, I would love us too sign Rooney, I think he's a perfect Mourinho player, he's adaptable and can bring so much to a team, a great instinctive football brain and the physicality with it that make him a real threat, if we were to sign Rooney then we would have a very good chance at the title.

As for other choices out there, I guess Lewandowski but that's highly unlikely. If not I'd be happy with our forward options. Torres for all his knockers (and I am one of those) could still, maybe find the goal again. Ba needs to find the back of the net and settle into the team but if he can, would be a great option and then there's Lukaku who if he can find his west brom scoring boots should put away a few for us this season. behind those three we have the best attacking options in the league if not Europe to compensate if non of our front men can get 20+ in the season

TrollPad: More than happy to get Rooney, he's an excellent player who I always rated highly with one quality that I rate higher than any, work rate (or heart to play the game, passion etc.). He's also English so home grown. If we fail to get Rooney I'd be satisfied with our strike force although honestly, Torres is done. He needs to go but unfortunately if a new addition steps in he'll be replacing Ba. There's no place in a one striker system for 4 strikers, even if occasionally we'd employ two when chasing the score.

Q7: I had originally asked this question: Over the past 24 hours, you have been heavily linked with Willian. Media rubbish, or do you think there is something concrete in it? If there is, what does this mean for your squad? Is someone surplus to requirements, and if so, who?

Then once Mourinho confirmed it, I changed my question to this, so some of the responses will be to the first question (labelled (OQ)) while some will be to the reworded question.

Mourinho has confirmed that Willian has chosen Chelsea. What does this mean for your squad? Is someone surplus to requirements, and if so, who?

EnglishMD: I thought the Willian story was bollucks, Kia Joorabchian posturing to get a few more £s out of Spurs or to get that last £10k or so on Willian's contract. As of 10 minutes ago, Mourinho has confirmed that he believes Willian is joining Chelsea. I'm surprised, but it does fit Mourinho's preference for quick wide-men to stretch the game and counter-attack. Against Villa we were at our compact worst and many teams will just park 10 men on the edge of the box, going wide is the only option. We're likely to see Moses out now, Ba out if Rooney signs. Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Willian, De Bruyne, Schuerrle for the 3 positions behind the striker, along the traditional Mourinho approach of 2 men for every position

hazmata: I have no idea why we are looking to sign Willian. He is a top player but we already have too many players in that position. Moses is surplus to requirements, which is a shame as I like him and even if he does go it will still be tricky to give everyone game time if we play a 4-2-3-1 system. Its funny that we are messing up Spurs plans

TrollPad (OQ): Really hope it's media rubbish, we have a surplus of talent in the attacking three and I don't see him as an improvement over 4 or 5 of our players. Add to that his price tag and it's a big no in my opinion. He's only better than Moses who still has heaps of potential to be an effective winger but Moses' home grown status makes him more valuable to the squad in my eyes.

WTF_OMG: I'd expect that Moses will be offloaded or sent on loan to accommodate Willian. I for one am gutted. Willian is so, so unnecessary. It's mostly a slap in the face to Spurs.

Q8: Luiz had been linked to Barcelona, with them making a bid, but Martino has said that he isn't going to sign a centre-back. Are you happy that this interest has ended, and where would you like to see Luiz play most often this season? Last season he played some games in midfield and seemed to impress.

lawschoolzombie: First of all, Barca can just feck right off with wanting Luiz. Want Luiz to mature more in the CB role, don't think there is a need to have him come to CDM (since we have brought in / back Essien and MvG). But if Jose thinks he can do better in that role, then I will defer to his greater understanding in these matters.

hazmata: He is very underrated as a central defender, I would much rather see him there then in midfield. This season we have Essien back and Van Ginkel to play that position.

AndThisIsWhatHeSaid: David Luiz is a centre back. A centre back that has been given a pretty tough time by Hansen and his cabal of dour pundits. Scoring a few wonder goals does not a midfielder make. Thankfully Jose's already address this.

lachiendupape: Yes Luiz is a good player with potential to become much better, I hope Mourinho can help him find the balance between his attacking runs and his defensive duties. I much prefer Luiz at Centre Back than in midfield and we have a lot more cover for the centre mid positions this season, so there should be no reason to play him there.

foolweasel: I don't want Luiz to leave. His improvement over last season shows that he has potential to be a game-changer in the future. I realize there might come a time when we don't need a hybrid player and want to get some cash for him, but for now, I'd like to see him continue a role similar to how he ended last season.

Q9: Are there any more players you would like to see sign for Chelsea before the transfer window shuts?

EnglishMD: I fancied De Rossi and Xabi Alonso but neither of them has transpired this Summer. We could still do with a midfielder capable of spraying the ball around, a striker and an upgrade on our wide men. The last two seem to be more realistic with Willian and Rooney replacing Moses and Ba

lawschoolzombie: Other than Rooney? I recall that De Rossi was a target, wish they would bring him in. Alternatively, maybe one day Pogba?

AndThisIsWhatHeSaid: I'd have loved De Rossi. And a centre back. And a centre forward. Specific names I'm not so good on.

TrollPad: Rooney, could settle for another striker but no one of the same quality is left. (I sometimes dream of Lewandowski in blue.)

foolweasel: A striker of some sort to give Torres and Lukaku (and Ba, I guess) a reason to look over their shoulders.

Q10: Are there any players you would like to see leave Chelsea before the transfer window shuts?

EnglishMD: As mentioned, Ba and Moses if we sign better players in their positions. As much as some of us would like to see Torres leave, his wage demands, age and levels of performance mean we'll struggle to find anyone who wants him

lawschoolzombie: Yes. If we get a striker, would be happy to see Torres or Ba find a new place where they start regularly.

hazmata: I would like to see Chalobah and McEachran get loans to premier league teams. I wouldn't care too much if Torres, Ba, Mikel or Moses left but I wouldn't like to see them leave.

Q11: Which of your players are you looking most forward to seeing this season?

EnglishMD: I think Hazard will have a stronger season than last year, I'm also pleased with De Bruyne's start at the club and Lukaku's performances so far. On a tangential note, Courtois looks unbelievably good in Spain, but that's one for next season or even the season after

i4foot: Hazard. I think he will be our player of the year. Big things coming from him.

lachiendupape: Hazard and Oscar will come on again this season, Hazard is a thrilling player whose trickery and smart runs into the box makes us a joy to watch. Oscar is a footballers footballer. A fantastic mind, great distribution and an eye for goal two, watch him come on leaps and bounds for us. Also watch Lampard this season, I'll think he'll be rejuvenated under Mourinho.

TrollPad: Kevin De Bruyne and Romelu Lukaku. Also interested in Oscars and Hazards development.

foolweasel: Hazard. His skills on the ball are just insane. Makes defenders look like amateurs on a regular basis.

Q12: Are there any young players of yours that you're excited about/who we should look forward to seeing?

hazmata: Players like Lukaku, Hazard and Oscar are still young but you know all about them already. Van Ginkel has really impressed me in preseason. He looks like Justin Beiber but he has the positional understanding of Makelele, not afraid to put a tackle in either. De Bruyne is class. We also have a CB/RB called Kalas in the squad who looks good.

thejanitorch4: I hope Tomas Kalas gets minutes this season.

i4foot: Young players in the first team squad I’m looking forward to seeing is Van Ginkel. Impressed during pre-season, hoping he is given the chance to start/play in the league this year. Obviously we have other young players in the first team who are already very good (Oscar, Hazard, De Bruyne, Lukaku and Schurrle). In the youth teams, Loftus-cheek, Baker, Boga and some others look promising. Also hoping Chalobah gets another good loan move.

lachiendupape: Of the youngsters Kevin de Bruyne looks like a dynamic attacker not afraid to take people on and Van Ginkel looks like a solid midfielder who'll be ready to take Lampards place.

TrollPad: I guess you're already acquainted with the likes of Oscar, Hazard, Lukaku (that fella that put three past you last season) etc. so I'll give a bit less known name. Tomas Kalas, a central defender/right back who's been a Chelsea player for the past few albeit out on loan at Vitesse. He's got a squad role this season and starts the season off with injury so we'll see how it goes.

foolweasel: Lukaku is a physical specimen with a lot of raw talent but not a lot of refinement. I'm interested to see him improve this season.

Q13: How do you think United will fare under Moyes this season?

EnglishMD: I think Moyes doesn't need to change much, so he won't. However, Chelsea and City have improved a lot since last season and United need to find the consistency and level of performance to match them. Where I think Moyes will struggle is in Europe, no experience and he may be completely out-thought by more seasoned managers. I doubt Fergie will stay silent if things start going badly, he's only ever within walking distance of that changing room

AndThisIsWhatHeSaid: Ferguson made the club what it is today but you don't suddenly lose his ethos when he goes. United are shrewder and cleverer than that. Second by a whisker I reckon. City will be a bit too strong.

WTF_OMG: they are going to fare well, very well. Their win at Swansea was vintage United. Didn't play particularly well, but they were clinical and destroyed the opposition. I expect to see more of the same. It's a title winning squad you have, and it hasn't changed much. Youngsters like Buttner and Jones will only get better. RvP is hardly going to get worse (unless he gets injured).

lachiendupape: Fine, i don't see the system changing too much and I'm sure SAF is on the the end of a phone if needed. The squad as ever is very very good, although midfield still looks weak and the reliance on Giggs must surely be lessened this season. Europe will be interesting I think, here more than the domestic league you might find Moyes lack of experience more telling

TrollPad: Most people write you off but we can't forget the fact that your team ran away with the title last season. The retirement of SAF and addition of Moyes is nothing more than a face change at the beginning. It'll only be fair to judge him after 2 seasons or so but as we know the press would be quick to write him off if there is a spell of bad results.

Q14: United have been linked to various players this summer: Thiago, Fabregas, Fellaini, Baines and others, but haven't made any signings so far. What do you make of this, and do you think United will make any signings before the window shuts?

EnglishMD: Central Midfield was United's obvious weakness, like Striker was/is Chelsea's. Both sides have failed to correct this so far. While United may not want to spend £30-40m on a CM, that's in the range of what will be required to get an improvement over the current lot. To be honest, I don't think there is an abundance of such players around. I have no idea who they'd sign but as I mentioned, I don't think Rooney will leave without said signing. 10 Days to go, we shall see

lawschoolzombie: I hope this is an intentional strategy on the part of United (the missing out on key players) because if not, it's just making them look silly. Under SAF, if they (really) wanted a player, they almost always got him. Moyes will not have such an effect on prospective players. United need to upgrade their Scholesy position with an intelligent deep lying play-maker (in the mould of Pirlo / Riquelme - heh), that will send RvP to an entirely different level.

AndThisIsWhatHeSaid: You'd have thought they'd sign someone. I don't see the point in Baines - the most hideously overrated English player in the League. Does my head in. Fellaini - again, I'm not sure what United need. What they need is Luka Modric, in my opinion.

lachiendupape: I think United will make 1 or 2 signings before the transfer window ends, they need a midfielder, but will have to come up with some cash to trouble Everton. If Rooney goes (and I think he may just) you're attacking options should still be good as long as RvP keeps up his run of being injury free.

TrollPad: You should hope that United signs some players. All the teams around you (with the exception of Arsenal) have strengthened their squads quite considerably while United haven't. Although realistically I think you'll end up with Fellaini and Baines.

Q15: Finally, what is your prediction for the game?

EnglishMD: 2-1 Chelsea. Hard fought but Mourinho to get the upper hand early on

AndThisIsWhatHeSaid: Moyes to quieten some of the criticism I think. 2-1 United.

thejanitorch4: We'll play defensively and grind out a draw (or hopefully, 3 points).

i4foot: I think it will end 2-2.

lachiendupape: Tight as always, I think we're in a better position than last season with a manager who loves going to Old Trafford. I can see it being 1-1 but I'd like to think we can nick a 2-1 win.

----------​
If any of you have any suggestions on what we should do as part of this, or any questions for future games, reply to the thread, send myself/KM a PM or tweet @RedCafe_ATO.​
Advertisements (Click the images to go to threads)​
ScVLjzz.png

lawschoolzombie: At this point of time it's actually a toss up on whether he will get Rooney. But I hope he does. If not, I'm told that Lewandowski (pardon the spelling) and Etoo are on the radar. I would be happy with Lewa, not so much Etoo (unless Etoo is happy with a 50-60% reduction in salary).

In either case, to be clear, Jose knows what he's doing. By being this public with his approach for Rooney and making him the center of everybody's attention, he's definitely disrupted the United squad rappo and that's what he has been going for. He wants Rooney, thats for sure. But if he doesn't get Rooney, he will have sufficient caused anxiety in the United dressing room, which also helps him. In my opinion, Rooney should come to Chelsea and United should put their ego aside and sell, if a player doesn't want to stay, why force him? And if Rooney comes to Chelsea, I don't see anybody stoppping us from winning the Title and making a deep run in the UCL/FA Cup. Who knows, Rooeny could be the RvP to our treble.

:lol: This guy is a joker. Why should we sell Rooney to them? He's contracted to us, buddy, and you gave us a very good reason not to further into your response. I think it's cute that he seems to think Manchester United and Chelsea are equals.

What's with McCarthy in the lineup game advertisement?

Excellent work man. Cheers.

lawschoolzombie:

Does this genius realize he's immediately answered his own question there? Seems oblivious to the idea that perhaps United don't want Rooney firing Chelsea towards trophies.

Yes, we should put aside our ego and let Chelsea win the league!:lol:

Also, does that guy realise that he has spelt out exactly why it's preposterous for Chelsea to bid £30m for him. If this guy's going to win them the treble, they can bloody well pay £50m for him!

Chelsea fans really rate Hazard, don't they? I need to watch more Chelsea games I guess, because to me he looks just like all those other young and talented flair players. You see them come and go, some better than others, but they rarely become truly great. I just don't see what makes Hazard stand out, especially when you have Mata in the very same team. Now THAT is a player who can become a world class, depending on which teams he'll play for.

Based on what I've seen so far, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hazard already is about as good as he'll ever be. Not that it's anything wrong with that, seeing as he's a good player, but I think there are many more promising players out there around the same age group. Mata, Kagawa, Reus and Götze, to name a few.

That was very interesting. Cheers Damo, and thanks to the Chelsea fans for answering. Most of the seem sound, unlike the Chelsea fans on this forum who are -- to a man -- dicks.

I jest, of course. You're good lads.

Chelsea fans really rate Hazard, don't they? I need to watch more Chelsea games I guess, because to me he looks just like all those other young and talented flair players. You see them come and go, some better than others, but they rarely become truly great. I just don't see what makes Hazard stand out, especially when you have Mata in the very same team. Now THAT is a player who can become a world class, depending on which teams he'll play for.

Based on what I've seen so far, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hazard already is about as good as he'll ever be. Not that it's anything wrong with that, seeing as he's a good player, but I think there are many more promising players out there around the same age group. Mata, Kagawa, Reus and Götze, to name a few.

Did you just put Kagawa in the same bracket as Goetze? Really?

Not to mention, clearly SAF saw something in Hazard given that he was prepared to spend over £35million on him last summer!

Did you just put Kagawa in the same bracket as Goetze? Really?

Not to mention, clearly SAF saw something in Hazard given that he was prepared to spend over £35million on him last summer!

I watched at least 20 Dortmund games when both Kagawa and Götze played there. I think Kagawa was the better player back then, and I still think he has the better potential overall. I will stand by this "prophecy" for at least 3 more seasons.

Was it ever truly confirmed that we were willing to spend over 35 million for Hazard? If so, then I'm disappointed in our management, as I don't think Hazard ever will be worth that much. Especially after a season where it was our wingers who had stood out the most. People can call Hazard what they want, but when I see him play, I see a winger. A winger who just happens to cut in and interchange a bit more than usual. Not unlike our Nani, except that the latter has proven a lot more overall(which is to be expected, seeing as he's been around longer).

We don't know for sure about the future but one thing is certain what Hazard has done so far in his career, for his age, is highly impressive. His talent is so obvious to see. His talent logically make a lot of people think he'll be a superstar in the future. Same thing with Reus, Mata (who is already a superstar for me but I can understand if it's up for debate), Kagawa and Gotze.

They all have special talent to various degrees, whether they will fulfill it is something else. Besides just like we're all patient to give Kagawa time to truly perform, the same should be applied with Hazard who is even younger than him. Not his fault if Chelsea paid a lot of money to get him.

Hazard is 22 and has just had his first season in the premiership. Mata (25) and Silva (27 years old) had much better second seasons in the premiership than their first, and they came to the league at an older age. Hazard isn't the finished article yet but his potential is clear to see, I would have thought.

You're definitely under rating him imo. I don't know what reason you'd have for thinking he's peaked already. Based on what?

You have to remember that like Kagawa, Hazard's 'best position' is as a number 10 but for the most part he was played on the wing and still managed to be very effective there. He's adapted to the PL well and really impacts Chelsea's games.

Fwiw I think in the future Oscar will be the better player. I have a bit of a soft spot for Oscar. I reckon he's going to be a brilliant little player.

You have to remember that like Kagawa, Hazard's 'best position' is as a number 10 but for the most part he was played on the wing and still managed to be very effective there.

Oh yeah... oops:

‘It is all down to that. I have always dreamed of playing the number 10 role, and wearing that number on my back, and you can see what a difference it makes from how many goals I have scored and set up for others. That will be a consideration when I decide on my club. Where I will play will influence my thinking on who I should join.

I don't know what reason you'd have for thinking he's peaked already. Based on what

I don't think that he definitely has peaked yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has. It's all based on my gut-feeling. The times I've seen Hazard play, I really just see a more consistent version of Nani, who happens to have joined a club where it's easier to stand out. I also think that players like Hazard have a tendency to peak much earlier than other types of players. Even if he has peaked at 22(which I'm not saying that he necessarily has), it doesn't mean that he will become worse, but rather stay around the same level until he hits his late twenties, and then slowly start to decline.

You have to remember that like Kagawa, Hazard's 'best position' is as a number 10 but for the most part he was played on the wing and still managed to be very effective there. He's adapted to the PL well and really impacts Chelsea's games.

Is Hazard really best in the no.10 position? If so, then I really need to start watching him more, because my brain screams "winger" whenever I see him play.

As for the Kagawa comparisons, I've always found them a bit unfair for these reasons:

1. Kagawa is a totally different player who's biggest strengths lie in his first touch, passing, vision, movement(both on and off the ball), and creativity. In short, Kagawa is a great team player who happens to be a pretty good individualist as well. Hazard is a great individualist, who happens to be a good team player as a result of his individual strengths. These are very different types of players, both extremely valuable.

2. Hazard's playstyle is much more adaptable than Kagawa's. Especially on the wing! Being an individualist with speed and flair will take you far in any league if you are placed on the wings. Adaptation does not take that long for these types of players.

3. Hazard's playstyle is generally more suited for wing play than Kagawa's.

4. Hazard didn't suffer a big injury.

5. Hazard doesn't have to travel across the globe every time there's a national game. He therefore doesn't need to be rested several games a year, which again gives him valuable playtime.

6. But most importantly: it was always going to be easier for Hazard to shine for Chelsea than it was for Kagawa to shine in United. In terms of competition, playtime, playstyle and positioning, Kagawa faced a much tougher task than Hazard. Interesingly enough, Kagawa and Hazard still have pretty similar goal/assist ratios.

--

All in all I think that Kagawa has been given a much tougher task and therefore needs a little more time to adapt. It's no secret that Hazard has had a better season overall, but if we're talking about potential, then I think Kagawa is the winner. I'd pick him over Hazard any day of the week, and I'm sure that he will become the better player of the two. You can quote me on that a few years from now if I'm proven to be wrong.

I don't think that he definitely has peaked yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has. It's all based on my gut-feeling. The times I've seen Hazard play, I really just see a more consistent version of Nani, who happens to have joined a club where it's easier to stand out. I also think that players like Hazard have a tendency to peak much earlier than other types of players. Even if he has peaked at 22(which I'm not saying that he necessarily has), it doesn't mean that he will become worse, but rather stay around the same level until he hits his late twenties, and then slowly start to decline.

Is Hazard really best in the no.10 position? If so, then I really need to start watching him more, because my brain screams "winger" whenever I see him play.

As for the Kagawa comparisons, I've always found them a bit unfair for these reasons:

1. Kagawa is a totally different player who's biggest strengths lie in his first touch, passing, vision, movement(both on and off the ball), and creativity. In short, Kagawa is a great team player who happens to be a pretty good individualist as well. Hazard is a great individualist, who happens to be a good team player as a result of his individual strengths. These are very different types of players, both extremely valuable.

2. Hazard's playstyle is much more adaptable than Kagawa's. Especially on the wing! Being an individualist with speed and flair will take you far in any league if you are placed on the wings. Adaptation does not take that long for these types of players.

3. Hazard's playstyle is generally more suited for wing play than Kagawa's.

4. Hazard didn't suffer a big injury.

5. Hazard doesn't have to travel across the globe every time there's a national game. He therefore doesn't need to be rested several games a year, which again gives him valuable playtime.

6. But most importantly: it was always going to be easier for Hazard to shine for Chelsea than it was for Kagawa to shine in United. In terms of competition, playtime, playstyle and positioning, Kagawa faced a much tougher task than Hazard. Interesingly enough, Kagawa and Hazard still have pretty similar goal/assist ratios.

--

All in all I think that Kagawa has been given a much tougher task and therefore needs a little more time to adapt. It's no secret that Hazard has had a better season overall, but if we're talking about potential, then I think Kagawa is the winner. I'd pick him over Hazard any day of the week, and I'm sure that he will become the better player of the two. You can quote me on that a few years from now if I'm proven to be wrong.
Well done for making the whole post about Kagawa and dragging it off topic, from one little comment about them having the same 'best position' but largely being played out of position.

Well done for making the whole post about Kagawa and dragging it off topic, from one little comment about them having the same 'best position' but largely being played out of position.

Well done for ignoring the entire first part of my post, which essentially was my main response to you.

The reason I wrote so much about Kagawa is because I'm sick and tired of the comparisons between him and Hazard, and even more frustrated at the comments saying that Hazard is the better player, using only the first season and his general hype as a reference. Kagawa suffers much more on the wing for United than Hazard does on the wing for Chelsea. Their situations are completely incomparable.

I know that your post wasn't an "attack" on Kagawa, but I just wanted to get it out of my system in case there will be more comments like these, as they're likely to show up in any Hazard discussion on Manchester United forums. It's nice to have a little list over arguments as to why Hazard isn't necessarily better than Kagawa.

found it interesting that these chelsea fans really down played the sides chances of winning the league, lots of aims just for a top 3 spot. They seem to place both Manchester teams above them, with City as the favourite for the league.

Cheers damo. Good read - very level headed. Can tell from a few of the responses that they are bricking it a bit.

AndThisIsWhatHeSaid: Wish we'd kept Rafa, to be honest. I loved that guy. He should get a statue outside the Bridge.

AndThisIsWhatHeSaid: Well Torres and Ba aren't good enough and Lukaku is barely removed from the womb, despite being the size of a JCB.

AndThisIsWhatHeSaid: You'd have thought they'd sign someone. I don't see the point in Baines - the most hideously overrated English player in the League. Does my head in. Fellaini - again, I'm not sure what United need. What they need is Luka Modric, in my opinion.

AndThisIsWhatHeSaid: Moyes to quieten some of the criticism I think. 2-1 United.

Troll :lol: Own up. Who is this?

First one of these I've read. Looking forward to the Liverpool one! Great work.

First one of these I've read. Looking forward to the Liverpool one! Great work.

Oh and my prediction for tonight is 1-1. As it always seems to be. (Someone will likely post a list of scores proving it is never 1-1 but it feels to me that it always is) ;)

Is Suarez a massive cnut?

If so then for how long has he been a massive cnut and if not is it just because you're not selling him?