Arsenal 2023/24 - Born to be runner up

Grande

Today was a very matured performance by them. They were not at their fluent best and it could have backfired maybe if United had Bruno and Rashford but ultimately they shut stop and took the 3 points. Great work by Arteta and Arsenal players. Kudos.
Yes, you can see they how far they have gotten into their development when they can afford to become so solid in defending low and also at set pieces.

Grande

That is true. We are nowhere close to City or even Liverpools peak over last 8 years. But if you remove Guardiolas ManCity aside, we have had a campaign what is expected of Champions on the whole.

This ManCity team kept the standards so high that its insane.
If we win at Everton then we would have W16 D1 L1 in this year. The draw was against City away. Its just insane that even that is not enough.
It’s not really insane, it’s more like corrupt.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Like he should in this league.

Arteta definitely wanted to play Martinez as a left back who inverts in the midfield. Licha would have been great on that position as he is tenacious and is excellent on the ball with a good passing range. I hope that's how we play him from next season.
I think he would be good in that role as well.

It's a bit ironic that we ended up signing his right footed Central defensive partner at Ajax, who was probably linked to It'd more at that time, to do that role now.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Arsenal at OT has not played well or won for a long time just like at Etihad or Anfield. We won 1 and drew at 2 other places. Honestly can't ask for more.

At the start of the season my criteria for progress were
1. 85+ pts (compared to 84 last year)
2. Good performances against City/Liverpool.
3. Good Cup/CL run.

We have done the first two well.
Cup/CL run is something to improve on. But not something to sweat over. CL QF was a decent campaign.

Next season should be
1. 90+ pts
2. CL QF and above atleast (ideally SF/F)
3. Ideally FA cup (atleast Finals)
4. A win at Anfield/Etihad would be great.

With cups it hard as it depends on who you are drawn against.
I don't think 90 points> is realistic for this group or you current manager.

Even if you did manage it somehow, City would get 1 point more. That's the issue, City don't really have a ceiling, they just raise their level to slightly above their nearest competitor. As we saw with Pep beating Klopp by 1 point a couple of times.

DownRiver

ETH has now mentioned arsenal twice in regards to their excellent injury record, last season and this season.

We had got their doctor after the comment made last year.

Does anyone know why they have so little injuries?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
ETH has now mentioned arsenal twice in regards to their excellent injury record, last season and this season.

They're real men and not wimps

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
I don't think 90 points> is realistic for this group or you current manager.

Even if you did manage it somehow, City would get 1 point more. That's the issue, City don't really have a ceiling, they just raise their level to slightly above their nearest competitor. As we saw with Pep beating Klopp by 1 point a couple of times.
Beat Everton and we get 89, but you think 90 is not realistic :lol:

Last edited:

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Best Everton and we get 89, but you think 90 is not realistic :lol:
Its like they just haven't seen what we are doing for past 5 years.
I understand if someone says its improbable but unrealistic. You just have to laugh.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Like he should in this league.

Arteta definitely wanted to play Martinez as a left back who inverts in the midfield. Licha would have been great on that position as he is tenacious and is excellent on the ball with a good passing range. I hope that's how we play him from next season.
I could see it at LB, but I am not keen on his positional awareness. On the ball he is ok.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's not enough that we're good it's that everyone needs to acknowledge us even if we haven't won anything in years.

Real Name

Those West Ham and Fulham defeats sting for them. No chance in hell Spurs will take anything from City.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Ok? You haven't seen him play minutely then. Watch him closely when he gets fit again.
I will...I tend to be critical of these kind of players so maybe I am biased. I appreciate the aggression, but I prefer calmness tempered with great positioning. I have seen him caught out and making lunges to get back in the fray. It looks good at times and even some matches but over time... not for me.

We have seen our fair share of this at CB over the last decade. I am glad to be out if it.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Those West Ham and Fulham defeats sting for them. No chance in hell Spurs will take anything from City.
City have those kinds of defeats too. We all do. It's impossible to go through a whole season without annoying points dropped. Chelsea conceded late equalisers vs Burnley and Sheffield Utd. If we had 4 extra points from those two games we'd be breathing down Spurs' neck for 5th place. Arsenal could still win the title. They have the points in the bag. City's record at Spurs away isn't great. It feels inevitable because City do this robotic thing every season where they reel off 18-19 wins out of the last 20 games but football is crazy.

Last edited:

ArtetasHair

Supports
Arsenal

Getting rid of injury prone players. We suffered for YEARS with Rosciky Diaby Cazorla Vermaelen all made of glass and all were moved on.

When you signed Varane and Casemiro I remember being absolutely blasted on social media for suggesting you're wasting money on crocks and almost past it players for an insane amount. And you're suffering now. Shaw is also another crock. Look at Martial. Why is he still at your club?

So yes injuries are luck and youve been unlucky but keep having to rely on known crocks or buying players who's shelf life is a season and then being surprised? It's on your club the latter bit.

We also have had 26 different combinations in our defence and no LB all season. Ofcourse Saliba and Gabriel help but fullbacks are essential to the style. Partey another crock will also be moved on. It's the only way

Footballs too competitive now where we can't afford to sign people like Varane on massive wages knowing their history and them complaining they're injured all the time.

Reactions: Jippy

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
City have those kinds of defeats too. We all do. It's impossible to go through a whole season without annoying points dropped. Chelsea conceded late equalisers vs Burnley and Sheffield Utd. If we had 4 extra points from those two games we'd be breathing down Spurs' neck for 5th place. Arsenal could still win the title. They have the points in the bag. City's record at Spurs away isn't great. It feels inevitable because City do this robotic thing where they reel off 18-19 wins out of the last 20 games but football is crazy.
Totally agree with this, it's ridiculous to gripe about points dropped when we've won 15 out of the last 17 or something nuts. We have dropped silly points but so has everyone - it's a marathon, not a sprint, it's never about one individual game. I have no complaints about this season. I love this team, I don't think we could have asked for more.

Real Name

City have those kinds of defeats too. We all do. It's impossible to go through a whole season without annoying points dropped. Chelsea conceded late equalisers vs Burnley and Sheffield Utd. If we had 4 extra points from those two games we'd be breathing down Spurs' neck for 5th place. Arsenal could still win the title. They have the points in the bag. City's record at Spurs away isn't great. It feels inevitable because City do this robotic thing where they reel off 18-19 wins out of the last 20 games but football is crazy.
You're right. They had a terrific season and they're still fully in it. In any case City is in a better poisition but if they lose points tomorrow anything can happen. Spurs have secured CL spot and have nothing to play for?

Traub

Beat Everton and we get 89, but you think 90 is not realistic :lol:
Its like they just haven't seen what we are doing for past 5 years.
I understand if someone says its improbable but unrealistic. You just have to laugh.
Probably meant it shouldn't necessarily be an expectation, getting to 90 is a big task - not impossible, but don't expect it year on year like City. For example, getting 80-85 next year shouldn't be a stick to beat Arteta with.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
You're right. They had a terrific season and they're still fully in it. In any case City is in a better poisition but if they lose points tomorrow anything can happen. Spurs have secured CL spot and have nothing to play for?
No, Spurs need Liverpool to win at Villa tonight, and that keeps them 4 points behind going into the City game. Then they need to actually win in the City game to go a point behind going into the final game with a chance of overtaking Villa. If Spurs draw, that would leave them 3 points behind going into the final game, and given Villa are 8 goals better off goal difference wise, that would need a hell of a swing last game. Villa are at Palace away, Spurs are at Sheffield Utd away.

Real Name

No, Spurs need Liverpool to win at Villa tonight, and that keeps them 4 points behind going into the City game. Then they need to actually win in the City game to go a point behind going into the final game with a chance of overtaking Villa. If Spurs draw, that would leave them 3 points behind going into the final game, and given Villa are 8 goals better off goal difference wise, that would need a hell of a swing last game. Villa are at Palace away, Spurs are at Sheffield Utd away.
I thought 5 teams from PL are going to CL next year?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I thought 5 teams from PL are going to CL next year?
Nope. The bonus places go to Italy and Germany, the PL teams performed to worse in Europe this year. Basically United ruined it for England (and Newcastle).

Was pretty funny to see at the beginning of the season a lot of English pundits just assuming it as a fact and then the PL losing to the farmers leagues :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Totally agree with this, it's ridiculous to gripe about points dropped when we've won 15 out of the last 17 or something nuts. We have dropped silly points but so has everyone - it's a marathon, not a sprint, it's never about one individual game. I have no complaints about this season. I love this team, I don't think we could have asked for more.
You've put together a title winning season, certainly your form since January has been title winning form. Obviously City being City, there's a high chance winning 18 out of the remaining 20 games won't be enough to become champions.

Real Name

Nope. The bonus places go to Italy and Germany, the PL teams performed to worse in Europe this year. Basically United ruined it for England (and Newcastle).

Was pretty funny to see at the beginning of the season a lot of English pundits just assuming it as a fact and then the PL losing to the farmers leagues :lol:
Yeah, United was like, if we cant get that 5th spot then nobody in England can. :D

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Is Spurs mathematically sure of Europe in general? There is still a slot for 7th? I forget how that's determined and I think the FA Cup potentially changes that up too?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Is Spurs mathematically sure of Europe in general? There is still a slot for 7th? I forget how that's determined and I think the FA Cup potentially changes that up too?
They need a point to mathematically secure 5th. If they lose both remaining games, there's a wild scenario where they could end up in 7th, yeah.

Europa League is 5th and 6th, unless United win the FA Cup, in which case United and the 5th placed team get EL while 6th and 7th place go to the conference league.

BorisManUtd

They'll most probably get at least a point at Sheffield United on final day and secure 5th place.

Game between Villa and Liverpool tonight is big. If Villa win top 4 race is over. Even if they draw, Spurs' chances will get even smaller as Villa would need only a draw at Palace (who have been great lately though) as they have superior GD.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Didn't realize it was vs Sheffield. That's kinda a given then. Key one is indeed this Villa Pool game. It's getting hard to keep up with all this temporary support.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It was getting frustrating over the years wondering how much of our lineup would be available at various times in the season. If I had some money for every time I heard... it's like getting a new player ....when a player was coming off a long term injury. You cannot control all injuries, but you can alleviate some headaches by not relying on injury prone players. I look at Neto at Wolves and although I would like to see him play for us (Saka dilemma aside), but then I am reminded you cannot put your squad together like this.

Arteta had that figured out indeed.
I'm going to contradict myself here, I think Neto of Wolves is someone i would maybe take a chance on. I'll tell you why.

I think your spine / main core of the team is who you look for to remain fit and for consistency, Goalkeeper, 2 centre backs, at least 2 of your central midfielders, at least 1 of your centre forwards.

I think as long as the quality is there, the wide positions, especially up front, are the positions I think you can rotate most.

We already have 3 good options, Saka, Trossard and Martinelli who have good fitness records anyway, and Jesus could always play wide. So I think we are 1 of the clubs that could get away with being tempted to take a chance on Neto, as long as the cost isn't too prohibitive, given the lack of viable options elsewhere. I'd be less tempted however, if this was our only forward purchase.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
If Spurs draw, that would leave them 3 points behind going into the final game, and given Villa are 8 goals better off goal difference wise, that would need a hell of a swing last game. Villa are at Palace away, Spurs are at Sheffield Utd away.
Given this assumes Villa lose both games, the goal difference will be at most six and quite possibly 4 or 5 before taking into account Spurs' match against Sheffield United, which have the worst defense in PL history and have been even worse at home than away all season.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
We already have 3 good options, Saka, Trossard and Martinelli who have good fitness records anyway, and Jesus could always play wide. So I think we are 1 of the clubs that could get away with being tempted to take a chance on Neto, as long as the cost isn't too prohibitive, given the lack of viable options elsewhere. I'd be less tempted however, if this was our only forward purchase.
Arsenal needs a right winger if Arteta decides Reiss Nelson is not good enough to compete with Saka. Nelson is also 24 and he needs to play regularly.

Giggsy13

In hindsight, Arsenal’s approach at the ethiad might come back and cost them the title. They really could’ve ceased the initiative by playing a more open game at a time city looked vulnerable and Haaland was off form.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
In hindsight, Arsenal’s approach at the ethiad might come back and cost them the title. They really could’ve ceased the initiative by playing a more open game at a time city looked vulnerable and Haaland was off form.
If City win the league it is only because they are a better team in the marathon. Ideally if Arsenal win every single game then we will win the league, but because Arsenal didn't so we bottled the league.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal needs a right winger if Arteta decides Reiss Nelson is not good enough to compete with Saka. Nelson is also 24 and he needs to play regularly.
Yep, and what I like about Neto is that he can play left wing and right wing to a very high level, and he has that raw pace and ability to carry that can give you that threat on the counter that we lack at times.

Of course, his injury record is a big worry, and if I was say a Man Utd, or a Spurs, where he'd be a mainstay in your team and you'd need to really rely on him to be fit nearly all the time, I perhaps wouldn't take that gamble, but for someone like us or City, I might be more tempted to.

But I'd still be concerned about his fitness if that was our only forward signing. In an ideal world your able to shift the likes of Nelson and Nketiah on and sign players for both positions. How realistic that is we'll have to wait and see, and will also likely depend what midfielder we are able to get.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Yep, and what I like about Neto is that he can play left wing and right wing to a very high level, and he has that raw pace and ability to carry that can give you that threat on the counter that we lack at times.

Of course, his injury record is a big worry, and if I was say a Man Utd, or a Spurs, where he'd be a mainstay in your team and you'd need to really rely on him to be fit nearly all the time, I perhaps wouldn't take that gamble, but for someone like us or City, I might be more tempted to.

But I'd still be concerned about his fitness if that was our only forward signing. In an ideal world your able to shift the likes of Nelson and Nketiah on and sign players for both positions. How realistic that is we'll have to wait and see, and will also likely depend what midfielder we are able to get.
In an ideal world if we can sign a player similar to Trossard who can play on the right that would be awesome. A player around 28/29, who doesn't mind starting from the bench to provide cover for Saka and versatile enough to play multiple positions. I am not sure if Neto is happy for this role and not even consider his injury record/price tag.

Giggsy13

If City win the league it is only because they are a better team in the marathon. Ideally if Arsenal win every single game then we will win the league, but because Arsenal didn't so we bottled the league.
It’s hard to compete with a financially doped up club, Arsenal have been worthy challengers.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
A draw was a fair result for me. You were extremely fortunate to take 3 points and only did in the end due to another one of our cocks ups at the back.

Despite the fact we didn’t have a left back on the pitch and the only fit centre half was a 36 year old Evans, I actually think if Bruno had been fit we’d of won.
I don’t think that’s quite right, Arsenal were all over us until they scored. Then they relaxed, retreated and let us have the ball. I think they probably could have gone up through the gears if they needed to.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Re Arsenal i feel that rices inclusion has glued everything together. They are solid at the back and potent going forward. One place they need a top notch addition is FW. An Osimhen would make a huge difference to the team.

IF they don’t win this season they aren’t far off from putting it together