Arsenal 2023/24 - Born to be runner up

Bwuk

It doesn’t really matter. 89 points would be a phenomenal season, whether we win the league or not.
No-one remembers or cares how many points you got. Its about winning trophies.

Arsenal will look back at celebrating parking the bus vs City as a mistake.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Phenomenally trophyless season. Come on - winning is ultimately all that matters and it’s obviously the Villa game where you shot yourselves. I’m still hoping City slip up.
Arsenal fans are happy with the team, Utd fans are not. So it is all good. Man Utd fans indeed have high expectations of other teams.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
If both teams win the rest of their games, which game will Arse fans look back on as the one that cost them?
I don’t really understand the question. If we miss out by two points but with a superior goal difference, surely any game where we dropped points cost us?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

Didn't take long to see that dumb take surface again. I hope we make that same mistake every year and get a point from the Etihad.

croadyman

Phenomenally trophyless season. Come on - winning is ultimately all that matters and it’s obviously the Villa game where you shot yourselves. I’m still hoping City slip up.
Yeah and just to rub salt in wound it was an Arsenal fan who scored the killer second goal

mu4c_20le

Didn't take long to see that dumb take surface again. I hope we make that same mistake every year and get a point from the Etihad.
Psychologically it's not great. You guys always moan about how city are a machine, it's not bottling to lose the title to them etc, but you partly contribute to that by giving them the confidence.

Hurrikeen

Let’s be honest, United in that position would have defended for their lives.

Arsenal absolutel havent bottled it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
115 charges FC can arguably put out 2 World class sides so, in my opinion, any side that can get close to those (cheating) feckers is pretty damn good going imo.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
115 charges FC can arguably put out 2 World class sides so, in my opinion, any side that can get close to those (cheating) feckers is pretty damn good going imo.
Even though Arsenal bottled the CL and EPL as we are #1 favorite and supposed to win both, and another trophyless season, no shot on goal 30 times by Brentford, Burnley and Sheff Utd is still a good achievement for me. I will take it.

ArtetasHair

Supports
Arsenal
Is Arteta going to write another letter to the FA about given some pretty questionable decisions today? Or is it just a question of integrity when the decisions are against you?

FA should be allowed come down much harder on the likes of O'Neil, Arteta, Nottingham Forest and Co.
I saw a picture of Saka's shredded shin in blood and 2 gashes, the blatant knee high red card they should have had which they didn't. Had they did the game would have been done in 20 minutes.

Sick of these RAWK like conspiracies. The truth is the refs are incompetent. Every game. Every match. The only team who doesn't get a decision against them is City followed by Chelsea.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Gotta love the caf.

Arteta is neck to neck with City and he's bottling it while ETH is fecking 7th in the league and he needs more time
Yeah becuase “the caf” is one bloke holding those two exact opinions

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Are they getting closer though? That may yet win it this season but if not will they finally achieve it next season?

Dominos

They will look back at drawing vs Fulham at home as a mistake. Losing at home to West Ham as a mistake. Losing away to Fulham as a mistake. Losing at home to Villa as a mistake.

There's a long list of games they'll be looking at before they start regretting drawing at the Etihad.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
It doesn’t really matter. 89 points would be a phenomenal season, whether we win the league or not.
89 points and a qf run in the CL. Didn't think we had it in us to challenge on two fronts. Of course, we've been lucky with injuries.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Psychologically it's not great. You guys always moan about how city are a machine, it's not bottling to lose the title to them etc, but you partly contribute to that by giving them the confidence.
Maybe but i think fixing the dropped points against lesser teams + knowing we can nullify City home & away is a more realistic solution to end those cheats.
You could argue we still worked on it anyway because both games were extremely close and we could/should have won at their place. Gameplan was sound and the execution needed just a bit more.
I fully expect future games against them to be identical. We'll probably lose one of them or we might win one but it won't be the reason we get closer to a title. This PL reality is what it is, you have to be almost perfect and avoid injuries for months to have a chance. We've been very lucky with the injuries and made a few mistakes here and there. The robots won.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
For the United supporters in here wondering how big a bottle job this is and when it actually happened (April? October? August?), if you have everything going your way the next two seasons, do you think that would be enough to win against this City team?

The league is a travesty of a competition in its current state. They need to come down hard on City and maybe that's when we see something akin to a title race between more than just two clubs, with one struggling to keep up with the cheats.

Personally speaking, we're in a position I wouldn't have dreamed of even two years ago, and playing some great football to boot. Hopefully can kick on next season to win some actual silverware.

Fallon d'Floor

For the United supporters in here wondering how big a bottle job this is and when it actually happened (April? October? August?), if you have everything going your way the next two seasons, do you think that would be enough to win against this City team?

The league is a travesty of a competition in its current state. They need to come down hard on City and maybe that's when we see something akin to a title race between more than just two clubs, with one struggling to keep up with the cheats.

Personally speaking, we're in a position I wouldn't have dreamed of even two years ago, and playing some great football to boot. Hopefully can kick on next season to win some actual silverware.
Arteta has done a brilliant job. I know there are some very toxic Arsenal fans who give him stick even now, but he's doing as well as you could have hoped. Massive strides these past 2 seasons.

The nucleus/spine of your team is young, which means you have room to grow. If it's not this season, there's always next season.

Gabriel (26), Saliba (23), Rice (25), Ødegaard (25), Saka (22) and Havertz (24).

City have some ageing players like Walker and KDB. Bernardo might eventually leave for Barcelona. Although City are generally good at replacing key players. They too have some young players like Gvardiol, Foden, Doku, Bobb and Haaland who City will expect to lead the team for years. Rodri is still in his prime too.

Arsenal have replaced Liverpool as City's main challengers.

erikcred

Arteta has done a brilliant job. I know there are some very toxic Arsenal fans who give him stick even now, but he's doing as well as you could have hoped. Massive strides these past 2 seasons.

The nucleus/spine of your team is young, which means you have room to grow. If it's not this season, there's always next season.

Gabriel (26), Saliba (23), Rice (25), Ødegaard (25), Saka (22) and Havertz (24).

City have some ageing players like Walker and KDB. Bernardo might eventually leave for Barcelona. Although City are generally good at replacing key players. They too have some young players like Gvardiol, Foden, Doku, Bobb and Haaland who City will expect to lead the team for years. Rodri is still in his prime too.

Arsenal have replaced Liverpool as City's main challengers.
What could they possibly moan about?

ZainCRse7en

Win it or not, they play the best football in the league and I always enjoy watching them play. In contrast to City's pass pass pass tactics which will put you to sleep or our chaotic football which in no doubt can be fun to watch, but makes our manager look like a schoolboy playing football manager. Watching odegaard is like watching art. It's a pity they missed the opportunity two seasons in a row to win the league when City is having a rare underwhelming season. Reckon next season they will be back to scraping for top four.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal

Not when we've dropped points in a home game since.

In any case, I don't see it as a particularly productive exercise. As long as we're not regretting dropping points vs United or Everton I think I can take it.

ForFuchsSake

Arsenal have been near perfect in 2024 results-wise. In the PL, they've got 14 wins, 1 draw (City away) and 1 loss (Villa).

That kind of form has been reserved for only City (occasionally Liverpool) since Guardiola joined City. In what world does that constitute 'bottling'?

You can obviously argue the case for Liverpool 'bottling' the league as they actually capitulated following a run of consecutive games, but Arsenal? Absolutely no chance.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal have been near perfect in 2024 results-wise. In the PL, they've got 14 wins, 1 draw (City away) and 1 loss (Villa).

That kind of form has been reserved for only City (occasionally Liverpool) since Guardiola joined City. In what world does that constitute 'bottling'?

You can obviously argue the case for Liverpool 'bottling' the league as they actually capitulated following a run of consecutive games, but Arsenal? Absolutely no chance.
There are just easy narratives to pop up for certain teams. We've bottled it in the past, therefore we're bottlers. Before the Wolves game recently, Amy Lawrence said her boss at the Athletic had asked her to prepare an article called 'The 10 days in which Arsenal's season collapsed' in case we lost. We won and it will never see the light of day. Liverpool meanwhile have imploded and there is no such article about them, and no one is saying they've choked or bottled it (and I don't think they have either).

Probably sounds like I'm moaning but I just think it's interesting how stubborn people's 'priors' are. It will stay the same until (if/when) we do win something big.

mu4c_20le

There are just easy narratives to pop up for certain teams. We've bottled it in the past, therefore we're bottlers. Before the Wolves game recently, Amy Lawrence said her boss at the Athletic had asked her to prepare an article called 'The 10 days in which Arsenal's season collapsed' in case we lost. We won and it will never see the light of day. Liverpool meanwhile have imploded and there is no such article about them, and no one is saying they've choked or bottled it (and I don't think they have either).

Probably sounds like I'm moaning but I just think it's interesting how stubborn people's 'priors' are. It will stay the same until (if/when) we do win something big.
Well, when you celebrate parking the bus against city, you can't really complain about not being taken seriously.

ForFuchsSake

It's generally a very overused term that is just banded about because of football tribalism. Which I get to an extent - it's ultimately just banter.

I'd somewhat agree on Liverpool. They were punching above their weight in this title race and to actually finish with the amount of points they've got this season (probably exceeding 80 points) has to be seen as a generally decent PL campaign. No-one gave them much hope at the beginning of the season due to the brand-new midfield though I think Klopp galvanised that side to outperform their expectations.

Anyway, back on topic. Arsenal have had a really good season even if they end up trophy-less. You've closed the gap even more on City and are their undisputed, number one challenger ahead of Liverpool now. Had a decent first season back in the CL - quarter-finals is always a good benchmark for a returning PL side and then a lot comes down to luck. Pushed Bayern close but did go out with a bit of a whimper in the second leg admittedly.

Lot to be positive about as an Arsenal fan. I can't see any other PL side (City aside) getting close to Arsenal next year. While the progress is clear for all to see, Arteta will have to start winning trophies soon enough though.

Reactions: Penna

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah spot on. I'm very encouraged but until we actually get over the line, we are at risk of being as successful as Pochettino's Spurs.

Which would hurt :lol:

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
No I understood, you just seem a little mad about something.

mu4c_20le

No I understood, you just seem a little mad about something.
Oh I see, not at all. It wasn't even a dig, just pointing out why you aren't viewed the same as Liverpool. Part of it is because they've actually gotten over the line yes, but also because they act like they are on the same level as city.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Oh I see, not at all. It wasn't even a dig, just pointing out why you aren't viewed the same as Liverpool. Part of it is because they've actually gotten over the line yes, but also because they act like they are on the same level as city.
Get some fresh air.

mu4c_20le

Good for them I guess.
Ah so you were just moaning then. My mistake in thinking you could've taken the game to them back in March instead of hiding behind a bus... after spending over 170m on Rice and Havertz..

Jev

Lot to be positive about as an Arsenal fan. I can't see any other PL side (City aside) getting close to Arsenal next year. While the progress is clear for all to see, Arteta will have to start winning trophies soon enough though.
If Arsenal continue to get +84 points per season, there’s absolutely no chance Arteta’s position ever comes under threat, even if City always get a couple more points.

On an unrelated note, the title of this thread is extremely daft.

gajender

If Arsenal continue to get +84 points per season, there’s absolutely no chance Arteta’s position ever comes under threat, even if City always get a couple more points.

On an unrelated note, the title of this thread is extremely daft.
You are kidding right , Arteta needs to get them over the line if not this season at most in next couple of seasons otherwise he won't be there .

You don't spend kind of money they are spending and support the manager in a way they have just to end up being also ran .

Jev

You are kidding right , Arteta needs to get them over the line if not this season at most in next couple of seasons otherwise he won't be there .

You don't spend kind of money they are spending and support the manager in a way they have just to end up being also ran .
They’re probably gonna get 89 points this season. You basically can’t do better than that. They just happen to be up against by far the best team in English football history (cheat codes helping). You’d have to have an extremely narrow view of football to look at that and go: BUT NO TROPHIES!!! Of course if they collapsed like last season of couple of times, that could be an argument against Arteta but that’s not exactly what’s happening this season, is it? If they got 89 points and finished second forever, only an idiot would sack Arteta.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
Ah so you were just moaning then. My mistake in thinking you could've taken the game to them back in March instead of hiding behind a bus... after spending over 170m on Rice and Havertz..
To actually engage with your argument would be to take seriously the idea that Arsenal's reputation as bottlers will disappear when an unspecified constituency (who? Fans? People on Twitter? Players? The club?) are not relatively content with a point away to City, which we hadn't achieved in 7 years, while Liverpool, who are 8 points behind us having led the league a short time ago, already embody this elite mindset that means no one even thinks about the word 'bottle'.

No, that's dumb, it's mainly because trophies. Quite simple!

gajender

They’re probably gonna get 89 points this season. You basically can’t do better than that. They just happen to be up against by far the best team in English football history (cheat codes helping). You’d have to have an extremely narrow view of football to look at that and go: BUT NO TROPHIES!!! Of course if they collapsed like last season of couple of times, that could be an argument against Arteta but that’s not exactly what’s happening this season, is it? If they got 89 points and finished second forever, only an idiot would sack Arteta.
It's not Narrow point of view it's the way it is , if they continue to fall short no matter how close they get it would eventually lead to a change because I am sure Arsenal aren't planning to be best of the rest in perpetuity irrespective of how formidable their opponent is because thats just how sports work you are always striving to outdo them

Jev

It's not Narrow point of view it's the way it is , if they continue to fall short no matter how close they get it would eventually lead to a change because I am sure Arsenal aren't planning to be best of the rest in perpetuity irrespective of how formidable their opponent is because thats just how sports work you are always striving to outdo them
Klopp won one league title and will (rightfully) be remembered as one of the best managers in Premier League history, with his Liverpool side being up there with the best ever in the tournament. Basically, the only real hope against this City side is that they have a below-par season. If you get around 90 points, you have done as well as anyone could reasonably expect or hope. The task of a manager is to maximize your team’s potential and Arteta has done that. If City get 90+ points every season the next five years, that’s out of his hands.