Arsenal 2023/24 - Born to be runner up

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
We might not win the league but still :)
I'll happily admit that I thought you looked like great pretenders last season and before Christmas, decent but miles behind where you wanted to be and I thought that was your ceiling under Arteta.

The leaps you have taken quality-wise after christmas has impressed me a lot and if you win the league from here it would be more than deserved

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Re Arsenal i feel that rices inclusion has glued everything together. They are solid at the back and potent going forward. One place they need a top notch addition is FW. An Osimhen would make a huge difference to the team.

IF they don’t win this season they aren’t far off from putting it together
I don't think we'll splash out on a big signing this summer unless something weird happens at Newcastle. Lots of decisions to be made on players that barely feature and reshape our bench to sustain another challenge next year.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
I'm going to contradict myself here, I think Neto of Wolves is someone i would maybe take a chance on. I'll tell you why.

I think your spine / main core of the team is who you look for to remain fit and for consistency, Goalkeeper, 2 centre backs, at least 2 of your central midfielders, at least 1 of your centre forwards.

I think as long as the quality is there, the wide positions, especially up front, are the positions I think you can rotate most.

We already have 3 good options, Saka, Trossard and Martinelli who have good fitness records anyway, and Jesus could always play wide. So I think we are 1 of the clubs that could get away with being tempted to take a chance on Neto, as long as the cost isn't too prohibitive, given the lack of viable options elsewhere. I'd be less tempted however, if this was our only forward purchase.
I kinda agree with you. For us, since it would be a backup to our current starter it could work (leaving aside the fact he would have to agree to playing second fiddle and not command roo big of a salary). On that note I wouldn't mind going for Olise.

I wouldn't want to rely on a Neto, and a bunch of players like that to be the backbone of the team. That's my argument that Man Utd should look to get new CBs. If they are both down next year is it still rotten luck or is it in part predictable? We have been there ourselves over the years relying on players like this and it always becomes a problem at some point.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think we'll splash out on a big signing this summer unless something weird happens at Newcastle. Lots of decisions to be made on players that barely feature and reshape our bench to sustain another challenge next year.
You eyeing up Isak?

doomy20

Decent season from them. As a non local with no real hate against City, I sincerely want them to win and deny Arsenal (again). Arsenal won’t have another non-injury miracle season again the next 100 years. We saw how even one key injury (Saliba) destroyed them in 22/23, it will happen again.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Decent season from them. As a non local with no real hate against City, I sincerely want them to win and deny Arsenal (again). Arsenal won’t have another non-injury miracle season again the next 100 years. We saw how even one key injury (Saliba) destroyed them in 22/23, it will happen again.
Arteta has the 3rd highest point, highest goal scored, highest goal difference (EPL only) for Arsenal with 1 game to spare as of now (03/04 90 pts, 01/02 87 pts). It is indeed a decent season for us. Last season is pretty decent with 84 pts too (4th highest). Arteta did just enough to not get himself sacked.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/fc-arsenal/platzierungen/verein/11

Last edited:

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
They may end up winning the league, they're doing a great job of putting the pressure on city.

croadyman

City are cheating frauds

Gene Loblaw

Supports
Arsenal
I could be nuts, but I feel like West Ham have a better chance of getting points off of city by winning one last one for Moyesy than Spurs do at home.

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
I could be nuts, but I feel like West Ham have a better chance of getting points off of city by winning one last one for Moyesy than Spurs do at home.
I actually think there is a decent chance Spurs draw and it becomes a shootout on the last day, and then Arsenal might regret not being a little more proactive in the Shower of Dreams Stadium.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I will...I tend to be critical of these kind of players so maybe I am biased. I appreciate the aggression, but I prefer calmness tempered with great positioning. I have seen him caught out and making lunges to get back in the fray. It looks good at times and even some matches but over time... not for me.

We have seen our fair share of this at CB over the last decade. I am glad to be out if it.
That didn't address anything regarding his ball playing skills which you thought were 'ok'.

I think he is positioning is good too. It's his lack of pace that is a hindrance and arises the need for some last minutes desperate tackles. That is is why I don't see him in the CB position in the long run.

You seem critical of 'these players' without having seen them much. You need to pay for more attention.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
That didn't address anything regarding his ball playing skills which you thought were 'ok'.

I think he is positioning is good too. It's his lack of pace that is a hindrance and arises the need for some last minutes desperate tackles. That is is why I don't see him in the CB position in the long run.

You seem critical of 'these players' without having seen them much. You need to pay for more attention.
I am not sure you are defending him very well. If he is slow and he is obviously far from the tallest, that's a bad combo right there. He is injured now quite a bit. We want the aggression from our players but if he is lunging in like this it is also conducive to resulting in more injuries.

He is athletic but he is just not really the right build for a CB. Man Utd fans were reflecting that he was out for last weekend's game but Martinez was pretty poor in our first game this season. He was even subbed I think. You are not getting half of your stable CB pairing from him which is imperative to long term success of the team.

I would want two new CBs if I was a Man Utd fan...first wish.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Not sure that Villa result helps us a whole lot. It does get Spurs more motivated initially but if this game is tied late on they are just going to go a little silly at the end looking for the 3 pts.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
I think the pivotal nature of the game is leading to some amnesia about how bad Tottenham have been recently. There is almost no chance of them getting anything tonight. It's not copium, it's logic. They are bad and City will be far too good.

Withnail

I think the pivotal nature of the game is leading to some amnesia about how bad Tottenham have been recently. There is almost no chance of them getting anything tonight. It's not copium, it's logic. They are bad and City will be far too good.
Yeah I can't see them doing much. They lost 6 out of the last 9 and are letting in a lot of goals. It's about 2.4 a game for that run.

RoyH1

I dislike the Arse-nal immensely, particularly their obnoxious fans. But I really hope a miracle occurs and they win this. The Abu Dhabi Developmental Holding Company (ADQ) and their army of lawyers is slowly turning this league into perennial one horse race.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
From BBC Sport:

There is a video clip doing the rounds on social media of Arsenal fans apparently letting off fireworks at Manchester City's team hotel ahead of tonight's game at Tottenham.

Whoever was in the hotel, it wasn't City's players. They are not leaving for Tottenham until later this morning.
Got to be a special kind of proper weirdo to be doing that. Get a job.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Anyone still suggesting they’d like City to win the title really needs to go and read the Spiegel investigation again.

Fcuk em

Arsenal have self sufficiently seen a 20 year period that saw an unbeaten league season be followed by a stadium rebuild and all the financial constraints that came with it. It’s taken 2 decades for the best team in the league to honestly do things the right way and get back to a point that saw them challenge.

City? Nah. Just illegally funnel money and invent records to have a free run at destroying English football.

It’s insane that that club is still in the league. Seeing anyone suggest you can watch them win and write it off as cheating and it not matter is so apathetically stupid.

My comment promoted by Pep getting his pants in a twist about money. cnut.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Probably a lot less chance than the pre-game odds will show for sure. I don't think Spurs would ever just throw the game. Their manager doesn't want to lose and even less to look bad and neither do the players. They all have some motivation in this case as well. CP has been playing well and could knock off Villa.

It's more as you said, they are pretty poor at the moment and well, it's Spurs after all.

erikcred

Anyone still suggesting they’d like City to win the title really needs to go and read the Spiegel investigation again.

Fcuk em

Arsenal have self sufficiently seen a 20 year period that saw an unbeaten league season be followed by a stadium rebuild and all the financial constraints that came with it. It’s taken 2 decades for the best team in the league to honestly do things the right way and get back to a point that saw them challenge.

City? Nah. Just illegally funnel money and invent records to have a free run at destroying English football.

It’s insane that that club is still in the league. Seeing anyone suggest you can watch them win and write it off as cheating and it not matter is so apathetically stupid.

You must've been crushed when City beat self-sufficient club Liverpool to the title.

Mike Smalling

Losing it on goal difference is actually a realistic scenario now that they only beat us by a single goal. If City get a draw tonight, they "only" need to win with a margin of three goals on top of whatever Arsenal win with on the final day (assuming City keep the edge on goals scored). I must admit, I'd like to see Artetas face if that happened.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Losing it on goal difference is actually a realistic scenario now that they only beat us by a single goal. If City get a draw tonight, they "only" need to win with a margin of three goals on top of whatever Arsenal win with on the final day (assuming City keep the edge on goals scored). I must admit, I'd like to see Artetas face if that happened.
If you gave anyone the chance of a final day on level points and a 3 goal advantage then you'd bite their hand off for it. That's not to say City couldn't turn that around even. Sadly, they'll beat Spurs so it wont come to that.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
It is possible... although still unlikely. Also unlikely that the Spurs game will end in a draw. The draw with Villa coming back at Pool does nothing for them. It's win or bust. Unfortunately, my money is on the latter.

Incidentally, if the goal difference is the same is head to head the next tie breaker?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It is possible... although still unlikely. Also unlikely that the Spurs game will end in a draw. The draw with Villa coming back at Pool does nothing for them. It's win or bust. Unfortunately, my money is on the latter.

Incidentally, if the goal difference is the same is head to head the next tie breaker?
It's goals scored I think. Head to head is the next one.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal

No it would be goals scored, which City would win on. If we had the same goal difference and scored the same number of goals it wouldn't go to head to head anyway, if I remember correctly - we'd play a play-off! Unless they've changed that...

Fun to imagine a draw tonight leading to an insane final day but I am very sceptical about Spurs' ability to do that. If they were still playing Jose-ball, Nuno-ball or Conte-ball then maybe, but Ange-ball is probably the perfect opponent for City.

SirAF

Ageist

Fcuk em

No.

Captmfla

If Arsenal had kept E. Martinez, they would have been in the lead now. Yes they bottled it against Villa.

Mike Smalling

If you gave anyone the chance of a final day on level points and a 3 goal advantage then you'd bite their hand off for it. That's not to say City couldn't turn that around even. Sadly, they'll beat Spurs so it wont come to that.
Of course, that would be an awesome position to be in. Just saying it would be funny if Arsenal lost it on goal difference ;)

But the reality is, that Spurs have four defeats in their last five games, and their single win was against Burnley. I also don't think the home crowd will be frothing at the mouth at the prospect of taking points off City. With quality players it's not impossible they get a draw though.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Of course, that would be an awesome position to be in. Just saying it would be funny if Arsenal lost it on goal difference ;)

But the reality is, that Spurs have four defeats in their last five games, and their single win was against Burnley. I also don't think the home crowd will be frothing at the mouth at the prospect of taking points off City. With quality players it's not impossible they get a draw though.
There might be other examples, but being Scottish the final day that springs to mind for me with a final day shootout with both teams on same points was the final day of the 2002/2003 season. Both teams went into the final day on the same number of points and same goal difference, Rangers were top on goals scored. Celtic won their final day game away at Kilmarnock 4-0, but Rangers beat Dunfermline 6-1 at home, to win the league by +1 GD.

Ironically, it was a certain Mikel Arteta that scored the clinching penalty.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
No it would be goals scored, which City would win on. If we had the same goal difference and scored the same number of goals it wouldn't go to head to head anyway, if I remember correctly - we'd play a play-off! Unless they've changed that...

Fun to imagine a draw tonight leading to an insane final day but I am very sceptical about Spurs' ability to do that. If they were still playing Jose-ball, Nuno-ball or Conte-ball then maybe, but Ange-ball is probably the perfect opponent for City.
Yep, it goes to goals scored. If that’s still even, it goes to H2H, which we Arsenal would win. But that would require a 8-7 vs Everton, or something equally unlikely.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Unless that happens in the 90th minute, it'll be meaningless.
I just can't shake this feeling that it will be tight nervy game and then Spurs score first in the 60th min or something.

I guess the more likely scenario is Haaland puts City 1-0 up after 5 mins.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I just can't see City lose points in the remaining game, plus there is not much left for Spurs players to fight for.