Amazon Documentary on the 99 season.

sevenxl

Irt SAF resigning in 98, hypothetically may have turned it over to Kidd in 98, dunno how that pans out but probably not well. Guess that depends on when he would have resigned as later in the summer would have left them with most managers off the market. But, both Jupp Heynckes and Carlos Alberto Parreira were available that summer.
I agree about Kidd not panning out well but who knows?

I also think they would have gone for a British manager at that time. Maybe Venabels (if available), Robson or even Bruce.

clarkydaz

I agree about Kidd not panning out well but who knows?

I also think they would have gone for a British manager at that time. Maybe Venabels (if available), Robson or even Bruce.
Kidd must have been kicking himself leaving before the treble

Amir

Johnsen played DM a few times didn't he? That said, I assume Ferguson didn't want to break up Stam/Johnsen and Berg was unavailable for the final as well I think.
He did, including the Inter second leg at the San Siro that season, and the 4-0 against Porto a couple of years back. So big games with big results as well.

I actually thought we would go with Johnsen in midfield and use May, who barely played that season but came into the side and did well in the last few matches in the league and the FA Cup final. I think Fergie overthought it, but what the heck.

Moriarty

Off topic a bit but it has been 30 years since our first league and cup double. That too was a pretty amazing season with Cantona leading the charge. Two great semi-finals against Oldham and the 4-0 battering of Hoddle's Chelsea. Maybe this should have a thread of its own.

FujiVice

it would have absolutely been Kidd who took over. Reading Fergie's first book, it seems like Kidd tried to get in the Chairmans ear, which was very out of character for him. Got to think when Fergie put his notice in, Edwards had told Kidd he's be getting it. Thus the complete changed from Fergie's loyal servant to trying to undermine him and ultimately leaving to become a manager himself at the absolute worst time to do so.

Also, not a surprise, but the biggest story off the field that year wasnt mentioned. the BSKYB attempted takeover, which if it had gone through, we'd probably be onto our 25th league title in a row because that twat Murdoch would have made sure we'd have monopolised the English game. We'd have been worse than City. All history gone. Sky and Manchester United as a partnership would have killed football in 1999.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What a watch that was. Really fantastic insight and reminder of a season I was too young to fully grasp. The Leicester game was the first game I ever went to and my dad had his head in his hands when we went two nil down. David Beckhams free kick to level it had me hooked and was just everything I loved about that side, never giving in. Also reminded me how much I used to hate Dortmund for knocking us out of Europe :lol: .

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I'm enjoying the intensity and tackling, you forget just how much more aggressive and how much more contact was allowed back in the day.
Yes exactly.
The United teams under Sir Alex were very strong in midfield and physically imposing most of the time.
Just looking at Sir Alex face reminds me that I used to believe that anything was possible back then.
And I have to say that it makes me very sad to see the state the club is in now.

The-Mezzala

Watched it last night. Nice trip down memory lane. Great to see guys like Yorke and Cole get a lot of air time.Yorke especially was a Ballon Dor contender that season. Shame Keane didn’t interview for this. I wonder if him and Fergie will ever make up. Agree with the above posters. The amount of tackles going in was ridiculous compared to now. Definitely was a better sport back then. Becks cool as ever. Phil Neville definitely was trying a bit hard on it . Might re watch again. Hopefully the current group watch it for some inspiration. Keanes performance in turin especially still gives me goosebumps now.

Last edited:

sugar_kane

I was 15 and a season ticket holder at the time, so old enough and close enough to remember most of this but feck me I'd not properly computed just how much drama there was that season
  • Schmeichel's retirement announcement and horrendous form
  • Going on a 33 game unbeaten run to finish the season
  • Winning the PL on the last day after going behind
  • Giggs only coming on as a sub in the FA Cup semi
  • Keano getting sent off in the same game and the last minute penalty
  • All the tabloid drama with Cole & Yorke
  • Losing Scholes & Keano for the final
  • The controversy over the starting 11 in the UCL final
  • and of course the final few moments of the UCL final itself
  • edit: Kidd leaving part-way through the season
All of that stuff combined is what made that season fairytale stuff, not like 115 FC steamrollering their way to the treble on the back of financial doping.

There was lots of stuff that was new to me as well like Fergie's resignation, and the team meeting after the Xmas party. Cole & Sheringham (and Keane) getting into a fight.

The show did a brilliant job of putting the achievement in context as well, eg. all of the previous failures in Europe, the class of 92 being dismissed in 96, Cole's hang ups about the last game in 95, Cantona leaving. I've probably missed some.

Loved the little details as well like Ole being pissed off watching Sheringham come on and then warming up next to Fergie towards the end of the game to convince him to bring him on.

I finished the last episode last night and watched MOTD immediately afterwards. The PL nowadays is sanitised, meaningless dreck by comparison.

Last edited:

davidmichael

Watched it last night once I got back indoors and thought it was a fantastic watch, it’s crazy that 25 years later watching that final few minutes of the CL final against Bayern still gives me the biggest goosebumps I’ve ever had and literally hits me in the heart

I always rated Phil Neville and Nicky Butt but watching that made me appreciate them even more as they said they would literally die for United as would every one of that squad, now you’ve got local lads more bothered about being a celebrity with zero on pitch effort or old players looking for one last pay day with zero effort and barely any of the squad would run themselves into the ground.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
it would have absolutely been Kidd who took over. Reading Fergie's first book, it seems like Kidd tried to get in the Chairmans ear, which was very out of character for him. Got to think when Fergie put his notice in, Edwards had told Kidd he's be getting it. Thus the complete changed from Fergie's loyal servant to trying to undermine him and ultimately leaving to become a manager himself at the absolute worst time to do so.

Also, not a surprise, but the biggest story off the field that year wasnt mentioned. the BSKYB attempted takeover, which if it had gone through, we'd probably be onto our 25th league title in a row because that twat Murdoch would have made sure we'd have monopolised the English game. We'd have been worse than City. All history gone. Sky and Manchester United as a partnership would have killed football in 1999.
Agree on the lack of takeover talk. There was a good section on the BSkyB deal on the BBC Premier League 30th anniversary thing last year.

People probably underestimate how much a takeover like that can unsettle a club. Fergie, by all accounts, didn’t want it.

There's also the chance they'd have gone after the superstars of the time which would have ruined the harmony in the squad that occurred post Christmas.

FujiVice

Agree on the lack of takeover talk. There was a good section on the BSkyB deal on the BBC Premier League 30th anniversary thing last year.

People probably underestimate how much a takeover like that can unsettle a club. Fergie, by all accounts, didn’t want it.

There's also the chance they'd have gone after the superstars of the time which would have ruined the harmony in the squad that occurred post Christmas.
Absolutely. Not only for United, but for the attraction of Sky Sports as well. Back in the 90s, Sky more or less ran the game anyway. There was so much to worry about. Like the Super League and the exclusivity, meaning no Man United footage would be shown on terrestrial TV (which in 1998, pre-internet boom would have been a travesty for regular fan.)

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Fergie is the GOAT but his tactical changes for that final were...:houllier:.
What the hell was he thinking with Giggs right and Becks in the middle.
All what it was needed Johnsen in the middle. Or Phil Neville.

I would love to ask him; why?

Swedish_Plumber

Overthinking probably. Seemed like a lot of people in the third episode were hinting (if not explicitly saying) that Fergie did not feel as comfortable in Europe. Maybe because of what had happened earlier in the decade to us. He clearly felt the CL was the pinnacle and the true marker of a United great.

Amir

I suppose he thought Butt+Johnsen/P. Neville would give the defence cover but not offer enough in terms of holding the ball or doing much with it, which is why he put Beckham there.

But yeah, losing two midfielders was bad enough. Voluntarily disrupting the wings on top of that wasn't a great idea.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I suppose he thought Butt+Johnsen/P. Neville would give the defence cover but not offer enough in terms of holding the ball or doing much with it, which is why he put Beckham there.

But yeah, losing two midfielders was bad enough. Voluntarily disrupting the wings on top of that wasn't a great idea.
In this regard he probably should have kept Beckham on the right as normally played and stuck Giggs in the left midfield role, which I believe he had filled in this role a few times in the mid 90s when SAF was attempting to stick the likes of Kanchelskis, Keane, Ince, Sharpe, Butt and McClair in the side (and discounting when some were played up front and Keane/Sharpe in the back four). I know Giggs played forward some and right wing many times in this timeframe and McClair played in midfield frequently, but seeing some past highlights it did appear Giggs started in the left midfield (not left wing) a few times, though I could be wrong.

Frank Grimes

Just finished it. Decent but very little new info, Mclaren probably gave the best insight.

Having watched the game about 6 months ago things that stood out were Giggs and Blomqvist were really poor. Beckham was actually our best player and Irwin and Neville were decent as well. Butt was also outclassed and gave the ball away cheaply.

Yorke and Cole also played poorly, maybe Yorke less so but nowhere near his best.

Fergie shouldn't have played Giggs on the right, if he wanted to keep his promise to Blomqvist then move the less dangerous player out of position.

I get his thinking with playing Beckham centrally as a central midfield of Johnson and Butt is lacking something and Beckham performed well in there to be honest.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Just finished it. Decent but very little new info, Mclaren probably gave the best insight.

Having watched the game about 6 months ago things that stood out were Giggs and Blomqvist were really poor. Beckham was actually our best player and Irwin and Neville were decent as well. Butt was also outclassed and gave the ball away cheaply.

Yorke and Cole also played poorly, maybe Yorke less so but nowhere near his best.

Fergie should'nt have played Giggs on the right, if he wanted to keep his promise to Blomqvist then move the less dangerous player out of position.

I get his thinking with playing Beckham centrally as a central midfield of Johnson and Butt is lacking something and Beckham performed well in there to be honest.
I watched the game a few years ago. Beckham was the reason we won. Not just his two corners but he was an absolute leader. He was the one pushing us until the very end. As great as so many were that season, I will always say Beckham was our best that year. Then you have Yorke, Stam and Keane.

Frank Grimes

I watched the game a few years ago. Beckham was the reason we won. Not just his two corners but he was an absolute leader. He was the one pushing us until the very end. As great as so many were that season, I will always say Beckham was our best that year. Then you have Yorke, Stam and Keane.
Wouldn't disagree about Beckham or Yorke but Keane above Stam.

Schmeichel was a bloody disaster bar the Arsenal penalty save in retrospect.

Amir

In this regard he probably should have kept Beckham on the right as normally played and stuck Giggs in the left midfield role, which I believe he had filled in this role a few times in the mid 90s when SAF was attempting to stick the likes of Kanchelskis, Keane, Ince, Sharpe, Butt and McClair in the side (and discounting when some were played up front and Keane/Sharpe in the back four). I know Giggs played forward some and right wing many times in this timeframe and McClair played in midfield frequently, but seeing some past highlights it did appear Giggs started in the left midfield (not left wing) a few times, though I could be wrong.
That 4-0 over Porto from 1997 that I mentioned earlier, when Johnsen played in midfield, also included Giggs in a midfield role - and he excelled. I don't remember him playing in that role in other games during that period, but not everything was broardcast at the time.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Wouldn't disagree about Beckham or Yorke but Keane above Stam.

Schmeichel was a bloody disaster bar the Arsenal penalty save in retrospect.
They were all so good I'd find it hard to disagree with any order :D

In my opinion, they were undoubtedly our top four that season. I don't know who I'd have as 5, though. Do you have anyone in mind? Maybe Irwin?

Djemba-Djemba

It's just a ludicrous season it really is.

If I thought about the top 10 most dramatic Utd games in my lifetime you'd probably have about 5 or 6 from that season alone, Liverpool in the cup, Arsenal semi final replay, Juventus comeback, both 3-3's with Barcelona, final against Bayern.

Just insane.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That was an interesting watch. I think I remembered it better than what it was, not in terms of results, but in terms of how good the team was and how good the football was. It started out as a bit of a slog and those defeats in the CL in previous seasons were really a dampener. I can't remember being more angry after a game than after that Monaco match in '98. Sorry for Butt, Fergie really went for him. Must have felt terrible.

I had this notion in my head that Barca were amazing back then but those goals were mainly major mistakes on our part. The Yorke Cole combination was amazing and Beckham scored a great free kick, but Schmeichel had a mare and the defense was a bit shaky.

The most striking of all was Fergie's insistence on that crazy lineup in the final. Absolutely mad. Best game ever in hindsight, but Bayern had 2-3 great chances to go 2-0 up and that would have been that.

FujiVice

The most striking of all was Fergie's insistence on that crazy lineup in the final. Absolutely mad. Best game ever in hindsight, but Bayern had 2-3 great chances to go 2-0 up and that would have been that.
If Henning Berg was fit, he'd have played and Johnsen would have went in the middle. No way was he trusting in 2 year injured David May at the back against Bayern. I dont know why May sounded so disappointed. He didnt have a hope in playing.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If Henning Berg was fit, he'd have played and Johnsen would have went in the middle. No way was he trusting in 2 year injured David May at the back against Bayern. I dont know why May sounded so disappointed. He didnt have a hope in playing.
Wes Brown was on the bench, had already played four times in the CL that year and quite a bit in the league. Even Gary could have slotted in there and Phil could take the RB slot. I'm not sure if Phil had been used in central midfield at that point?

In any case, playing an out of form Blomqvist and shunting Becks and Giggs out of their natural positions to completely disrupt our attacking game was pretty mad. And had it not come off it would have been savaged till this day.

Glorio

What a lot of folks don't realise about Becks is what a clutch player he was.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Beckham was outstanding. Arguably our best player over the season.

I think I'll save this for Saturday night just in case we lose the FA Cup final I can at least have a few drinks and enjoy this masterpiece.

FujiVice

Wes Brown was on the bench, had already played four times in the CL that year and quite a bit in the league. Even Gary could have slotted in there and Phil could take the RB slot. I'm not sure if Phil had been used in central midfield at that point?

In any case, playing an out of form Blomqvist and shunting Becks and Giggs out of their natural positions to completely disrupt our attacking game was pretty mad. And had it not come off it would have been savaged till this day.
Could have played Dwight Yorke in midfielder, too. There was definitely ways to juggle it up. I think Fergie was also very cautious of that forward line. Putting Neville or an inexperienced Wes Brown against Carsten Jancker does not sound good.

Amir

May played in the last few games of the season in the league and the FA Cup final, and I don't remember any issues with his perfrormances. I actually thought he had a good chance to start the CL final as well. I think it would have been better than disrupting the entire midfield and wings.

FujiVice

May played in the last few games of the season in the league and the FA Cup final, and I don't remember any issues with his perfrormances. I actually thought he had a good chance to start the CL final as well. I think it would have been better than disrupting the entire midfield and wings.
He played in games where we had our full midfield, and we were favourites in those games. Fergie trusted May, as shown in 96 and 97. I just dont think he would have ever risked someone with that lack of game time in the biggest game of his career. I see your point, though. Personally, I'd have played Solksjaer on the right and Beckham in the middle. But it doesnt matter now, we won it.

Glorio

Fergie kinda overthought that selection in the CL, and refused to change his square peg in round holes experiment. His stubbornness almost cost him (and the club) there

Mullet_Man

Really enjoyed this and it brought back some things I'd totally forgotten about

Bayern being in our champions league group
Keane getting injured in the fa cup final

Also that scholes tackle were he got the yellow card would probably been upgraded to red with var nowadays

van Nistelrooy

I was a kid during the Treble era so wasn't aware of the media coverage of Cole & Yorke's threesome scandal. Blimey!