Television Actors reappearing in a show in a different, unconnected role

cafecillos

Rewatching Game of Thrones I noticed that the actor playing Tommen in later seasons had already worked in the show playing a different character. Do you know any other cases of this?

Probably a lot easier to do with all the makeup and prosthetics that come along with it, but character actor Jeffrey Combs was about half a dozen different Star Trek aliens in DS9, Voyager and Enterprise.

maxresdefault.jpg

The only one I can think of is Garret Dillahunt who appeared twice as two characters in Deadwood. Both brilliant too.

He was Jack McCall and Francis Wollcot. Both psychos.

Coronation Street is notorious for it.

Peter Capaldi had 3 different roles in the extended world of Doctor Who (ancient Roman, Doctor himself, British Government in Torchwood)

Estelle in Friends.

Joe Gannascoli plays a random guy called Gino in a pastry shop in the first season of The Sopranos, but then reappears in season two and plays Vito for the rest of the show.

I’ve just been watching that with my daughter. Who else was she?
She played a nurse in one of the first episodes, I think. I believe Phoebe's brother had an earlier appearance, too.

Nick Stringer played Skippy and also Jumbo Mills in episodes of Only Fools and Horses

There’s a few characters that did this in Toast of London.

Probably a lot easier to do with all the makeup and prosthetics that come along with it, but character actor Jeffrey Combs was about half a dozen different Star Trek aliens in DS9, Voyager and Enterprise.

maxresdefault.jpg

Legend :lol:

Flat-track bullying it in terms of character numbers, what with all the Weyouns. Still impressive if you limit that to one, mind :eek:

That confused me quite a lot. I was beginning to question my memory of Raid 1.
I had watched the first movie so many times I knew it couldn't be the original Mad Dog, plus he seemed gentler and not so...mad. I figured he was too cool to not bring back in some form

Last edited:
Yeah it's quite common. Adam West played both millionaire Bruce Wayne and the lead character in the 1960's TV series 'Batman'.

A film series instead of TV, but the guy who played Immortan Joe in Mad Max: Fury Road had a different role in the original Mad Max.

Legend :lol:

Flat-track bullying it in terms of character numbers, what with all the Weyouns. Still impressive if you limit that to one, mind :eek:

Yeah, Brunt and Weyoun were probably my two favourite side characters in DS9 as well. I had no idea for years that it was the same bloke. :lol:

Belinda Stewart Wilson in the IT crowd played Denholm Renholm and Douglas Renholm's wives in two separate roles

Not a TV shows but Eddie Murphy has done it several times. In coming to America, Murphy and Hall played 8 characters(4 each).

My dad starring as my dad and then pretending not to know me.

I actually have a good relationship with my father

They do it in BBC shows a lot. Doctor Who and Silent Witness do it all the time. Did it in The Pact recently too.

Patrick McGoohan appeared in a few Columbo episodes playing different characters.

Coronation Street is notorious for it.

Peter Capaldi had 3 different roles in the extended world of Doctor Who (ancient Roman, Doctor himself, British Government in Torchwood)
Coincidentally Karen Gillan was in the Pompeii episode too

As an off point (it's not a TV-show but it creates the similar and, perhaps, even funnier inconsistency) — when Captain America chats with the Falcon guy about all the pop-culture stuff that he had missed while he was freezed up he name-drops Star Wars. It kinda is to be expected given how huge it is but imagine his surprise when he learns that his boss is actually a jedi.

Rewatching Game of Thrones I noticed that the actor playing Tommen in later seasons had already worked in the show playing a different character. Do you know any other cases of this?

At least one more example just in Game of Thrones: the actor Kevin Eldon appears in a couple of roles

Joe Gannascoli plays a random guy called Gino in a pastry shop in the first season of The Sopranos, but then reappears in season two and plays Vito for the rest of the show.
Vito (Joseph Gannascoli) in The Sopranos

0:32

vito-sopranos-party.gif

That was the first one that came to mind for me.

Also, Deadwood. In season 1, Garret Dillahunt played Jack McCall and then he returned in season 2 as Francis Wolcott. I remember it being quite off-putting and too obvious that it was the same actor.

https://imagesvc.meredithcorp.io/v3...2020/01/31/garret-dillahunt-deadwood-2000.jpg

I think Parks & Rec did it with the UN girl. She came back as some honour student or something, really similar characters but a different name.

Practically the whole cast of the Flash TV series with all the multiverse stuff going on.

Tom Cavanagh practically played a new character each year.