Academy: Lifeblood (MUTV documentary series)

Manchester United are excited to celebrate the continued success and significance of our world-leading Academy with the launch of ‘Lifeblood’, a new story-driven documentary series utilising exclusive behind-the-scenes access to explore what drives the achievements and the philosophy of youth development at the club.

In anticipation of a landmark 250th Academy graduate making a first-team debut, achieved by Stockport-born striker Ethan Wheatley in April, club media have followed players, parents and staff to explore the workings of one of the world’s most cherished sporting institutions.

Interviews with current first-team graduates will emphasise how the Academy’s core values mould successful people on and off the pitch.

Alejandro Garnacho will discuss how youth development has been the lifeblood of our club since its 1930s launch and how those pulling on a red shirt in 2024 are educated on those in whose footsteps they follow, while Scott McTominay returns to the Academy building to learn the sports science techniques used to help maximise the potential of every young person in the Academy’s care.

The series also explores how players like Marcus Rashford, Kobbie Mainoo and Willy Kambwala became the first-team regulars they are today. Academy staff, from Adam Lawrence and Travis Binnion (Head of Player Development and Coaching] to stalwart Tony Whelan [Academy Programme Advisor], will divulge their expertise, exploring the techniques they use and the culture they commit to creating when they join the club.

Lifeblood will show special moments throughout the Academy journey, including the Under-9s receiving their very first United kit as well as the high-intensity training sessions of the Under-21s on a mid-season training camp in the south of France.

The first of our 'Lifeblood' films will soon be available to watch for MUTV subscribers on ManUtd.com, the official club app and the club channel, with the rest of the series rolling out later this summer.

Ian Nolan, Chief Content Officer, said: “It is one of the greatest stories in world sports. For 90 years a thread of DNA has woven itself through the fabric of this club, from the Busby Babes and George Best, to the Class of '92 - Giggs, Beckham Neville, and today’s crop that fly the flag.

“It was a privilege to be allowed behind the scenes and under the bonnet, to tell the story of the Academy through those that work there today, and those that passed through before. Our cameras were allowed to capture intimate, often private scenes, to showcase the Academy’s unique ethos to the development of young people. It is a must watch for any sports fan, or anyone with kids aspiring to become the next Alejandro Garnacho.”

Nick Cox, Director of Academy, said: “We know youth development plays a role in our club like at no other. The Academy and youth have supported Manchester United through our darkest moments and lifted us to our greatest heights, from Munich and 1968 to the Treble and much more. Hitting the 250th graduate landmark recently provided an opportunity to celebrate the great players and staff that have built a legacy, one nearly a century old, of developing homegrown players here.

”I’m excited that this documentary series will share an in-depth insight into our Academy, showing how the right environment is carefully created by a fantastic team of staff and by the amazing young people in our care. The process of filming Lifeblood has brought together people from all over the club, including former players, graduates, coaches, parents, players and, of course, the great staff I’m lucky enough to work with. It has therefore also proved a reminder that while we are one of the biggest clubs in the world, we are also an intimate family.”

Presenter and Old Trafford season-ticket holder Harry Robinson said: “As a United fan, I don’t think there are many better feelings than seeing a young Academy player come good. The buzz around Old Trafford, and now online too, is hard to beat. And that age-old question pipes up time and time again: where has this kid come from?

”Well, Lifeblood will show you. It has been an immense privilege to go behind the scenes at Carrington, The Cliff, Old Trafford and elsewhere to learn how such a talented group of players and staff are committed to elite youth development, all the while maintaining a genuine family feel to the place. I can’t wait for other Reds around the world to see these special moments, never captured before, which have been a part of the journeys of players now lighting up Old Trafford week after week.”

Lovely stories from Tony Whelan in the first episode, nice to hear from Garnacho and McAllister & co. too. The footage of The Cliff made me a bit emotional.

Second episode is out tomorrow 19:00 BST. A snippet from it:

Scott McTominay's penchant for goals in big moments has weaved his name into Manchester United folklore several times over, but at one point in his teenage years, it all appeared improbable. He couldn't even kick a ball.

“I would have broke down,” McTominay explains in Lifeblood: Innovation, the second behind-the-scenes film on our world-famous youth set-up.
“It was a tough time – two or three years where I didn’t kick a ball. My groins, when I got to 15, I could not pass a ball sideways because I was in too much pain. I’d go home and say to my dad: ‘What’s happening here?’”

In Lifeblood: Innovation, McTominay returns to the Academy building at Carrington to catch up with his old coach, Neil Harris, and discuss his experience of growth and maturation with Alex Ouzounoglou, who leads the Athletic Development team for U12s to U16s.

“I used to have to proper fight, didn’t I?” McTominay remembers.

“It wasn’t easy. You’ve got lads who are fully grown men at 13 or 14, potentially. That’s how quick it can be. And I was a proper kid. But I always fancied myself to be one of the best in training sessions and in games, that was my motivation at the time.

“My dad put very little pressure on me to play for Man United. He just said you enjoy it, you have a good time, I’ll take you three or four times a week, no problem – my time is your time.

“There’s no right or wrong way. You see Wayne Rooney or Michael Owen were playing in the Premier League at 16 or 17, but their bodies take a lot more later down the line. I started at 19 or 20, so my career could go longer. I could play until I’m 37 or 38, subject to injury.”

United have long since adopted a caring approach to players undergoing more extreme growth periods – McTominay says “you get so much reassurance from the club” – but things have moved on further from Scott’s time, too. Innovation, as Director of Academy Nick Cox explains, is about “never settling, never thinking that you’ve cracked it, being open-minded, regularly scanning to see what is out there, what’s going on in terms of research or development in equipment. It’s about a commitment to ongoing learning, for players and coaches, with that open mind to know that you’re on a journey of improvement to develop ourselves as well.”

So Scott learns from the current Academy staff about the additional resources and programmes which have been put in place to help those going through something similar to him. In fact, he looks at the data of one player currently in the Under-18s, learning about the education for parents, the psychological help on offer to players and the increased collaboration between Athletic Development staff and coaches to ensure the best experience for each player.

“It’s good for the parents and the boy who’s got trust [in the data],” Scott reviews.

“He knows and sees the numbers there and can understand the reasons why you’re putting things in place for him. What you don’t want to do is put them into high-intensity training [and then] he ends up getting injured [so] his mental state isn’t at his best.

“A lot of parents are – as every father and mother are – they’re always super invested in how their child is getting on, but sometimes you have to leave things to the experts. They’ve seen every case multiple times over and they know how to manage situations like that.

“The Academy put everything in place for you, they educate you how a Man United player and person operates, the things that they do on and off the pitch, but it comes down to the individual, it comes down to how much they want to be a football player. Because if that drives not there, you can forget about it. If they’ve not got that inner fight to do it, it’s pretty difficult to go anywhere. There are so many kids across the world, it takes more than people think."

These were the processes that led to that magic Manchester derby lob under sheets of Mancunian rain or a quick-fire brace in a thrashing of Leeds United or last season’s unprecedented injury-time double to come from behind against Brentford.

To see how it works and hear more fascinating insights from Scott, watch Lifeblood: Innovation, which premieres with a live stream on MUTV, ManUtd.com and the United App at 19:00 BST this Friday (5 July). It will also be available to view on demand from that time.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...would-have-broke-down-in-lifeblood-innovation

This would've been filmed a while ago but couple of lads here on the bikes that I don't recognize, trialists maybe.

bbe45195ac980537833fd52796e538f4.jpg

This would've been filmed a while ago but couple of lads here on the bikes that I don't recognize, trialists maybe.

bbe45195ac980537833fd52796e538f4.jpg

One on the left looks like Tyler Fredricson. One on the right I don't recognise, thought it was maybe a young looking Sam Mather at first look, but nah.

Last edited:
Nah, that's definitely not Fredricson.
Is that James Overy on the left?

He looks very familiar whoever he is anyway.

Actually is it James Bailey? Looks a little different but suspiciously has the same moustache which I can’t imagine a whole lot of kids are rocking.

Last edited: