View full 2023-24 profile

5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

LDUred

Other than tackling, I don't see him having any strength. His decision making is getting worse since joining and he is as unreliable as Onana, our 2 biggest weakness in the defence. It has been several years with us and it's time for him to move on.

Can't wait for Shaw to come back.
I used to see AWB as someone who would get better and better for us but that lack of positional awareness has always been suspect and of late its made him a liability.

Dalot has slightly similar issues but he's much better technically and he's come on under ETH, while AWB has gone in the opposite direction.

I think we just need proven quality and discipline in that position and while Shaw's good, he can't be relied upon to stay fit.

Last edited:

Marcus

I think he is a good player to man mark someone out of the game. But other than that he should never play as a LB.

FootballAI

I used to see AWB as someone who would get better and better for us but that lack of positional awareness has always been suspect and of late its made him a liability.

Dalot has slightly similar issues but he's much better technically and he's come on under ETH, while AWB has gone in the opposite direction.

I think we just need proven quality and discipline in that position and while Shaw's good, he can't be relied upon to stay fit.
Yeah agree, pity he is a great athletic though but doesn't know how to use it. The positioning and decision making are getting worse, he offers very little to our attack unlike Dalot while getting caught out of position way too often.

Based Adnan

Would struggle to get in the Palace side

Why are we insisting on playing this waster instead of giving Amass a chance when we have nothing to play for

Nick7

Utterly bizarre that the manager keeps playing him at left back when he’s utterly piss there.

James_42

Why is he still starting for us? Hasn't improved any part of his game since joining the club, whoever signed off on buying him should be out of a job.

I love the way he bombs forward without any ideas on what to do when he gets the ball.

Mike Smalling

Utterly bizarre that the manager keeps playing him at left back when he’s utterly piss there.
Yeah, some halfwit in the matchday thread called me clueless for pointing out that Dalot should be on the left, and AWB on the right.

AWB was constantly out of position defensively, and he looks completely lost when we are in possession.

We should try to sell. He could have some value to another team, and he's not too old yet. I'd take £15m.

Malone_Post

He barely resembles a footballer playing on the right. Playing him on the left is up there with Phil Jones taking corners.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The typical AWB experience:

• taking an age to get the ball under control
  • taking an age to decide what to do with the ball once he gets it under control
  • just going through the motion of releasing the ball to the closest player he can find
The first two results in the opponent being able to set themselves up to get the ball back, either from him or from the poor sod he's handed the ball over to.

There was a bit towards the end of the game where he got the ball on the left wing and randomly just kicked the ball towards the box despite there being no one there. He just goes through the motions at times. It's an indictment of both his footballing ability and brain, and the coaching staff and manager's inability to coach him into doing what needs to be done.

The Hilton

On top of his obvious deficiencies and being unsuited to playing in a team that wants to be in possession, he's quite obviously checked out and really needs to be moved on.

KjaAnd

Another player who should never be allowed to step on the pitch for us again. Zero football IQ. No idea how he's supposed to position himself in any phase of play.

Irwin99

The typical AWB experience:

• taking an age to get the ball under control
  • taking an age to decide what to do with the ball once he gets it under control
  • just going through the motion of releasing the ball to the closest player he can find
The first two results in the opponent being able to set themselves up to get the ball back, either from him or from the poor sod he's handed the ball over to.

There was a bit towards the end of the game where he got the ball on the left wing and randomly just kicked the ball towards the box despite there being no one there. He just goes through the motions at times. It's an indictment of both his footballing ability and brain, and the coaching staff and manager's inability to coach him into doing what needs to be done.
I thought he was the least terrible of the back four today but you forgot to mention something that happens nearly every game- every so often he just loses all awareness of what's around him and has no idea where the player he's marking is or where he's supposed to be. I can't remember what minute it was in the second half but he was just bamboozled by a long diagonal ball where their winger got in behind. He isn't going to improve on this.

abkmufc92

I'm surprised this guy is even aware there is a ball on the pitch because hes not aware of anything else.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I thought he was the least terrible of the back four today but you forgot to mention something that happens nearly every game- every so often he just loses all awareness of what's around him and has no idea where the player he's marking is or where he's supposed to be. I can't remember what minute it was in the second half but he was just bamboozled by a long diagonal ball where there winger got in behind. He isn't going to improve on this.
If I had to mention all of his deficiencies, I'd be writing a full blown article as a forum post. Bolded bit is so true. It's something Sunday league players can't get right. This guy's a professional footballer. How?

Red4ever27

He looks like he genuinely has no interest in football, one of the most laid back players I've ever seen. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen him open his mouth whilst playing never mind shout.

EI Beatle

i dont care what anyone says, if a footballer is wearing gloves in May he's weak minded before he even sets foot on the pitch.

Roboc7

Most full backs could fill in at centre back, or move to wingback or play as a fullback on the other side. He can’t do anything other than be a very limited right back who is very good at defending 1v1 but nothing else.

I have idea what the logic in playing him LB is, especially when Antony is RW as is just kills attacks on both sides, may as well play them together and only write one side off.

Has to be sold if we can in the summer even if can’t sign a replacement and we just give the minutes to youngsters. We won’t be worse off on the pitch and at least it would be financially beneficial. We can’t keep holding onto this kind of dross just to make up the numbers.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Maybe, thankfully, the last time we'll see him in a United shirt. I don't think I've ever seen a football have less understanding of how football works. I'd love to see our record with him starting, I bet it is diabolical over the past few seasons. He single-handedly ruins an attacking threat on his side of the pitch, and constantly creates defensive gaps. It's incredible.

I'd say ETH should play someone else there, but sticking Amass against Olise and whoever that energetic fullback was would have been brutal. I can understand protecting him. And there's no one else :(

Djemba-Djemba

Absolutely fecking crap.

He's the most unnatural footballer I've ever seen, every game it's like he's never kicked a ball before.

Needs binning off ASAP.

Beachryan

I think this version of AWB is my least favourite United player ever. Certainly in recent memory. Name me a worse RB in the league. I'll wait. He's actually gotten worse over the course of his career, in terms of all the things that you're supposed to learn with experience. His positioning, terrible. Ability to read the flight of the ball in the air? Abysmal. Awareness of what is around him? Non-existent. Then there's this weird little jog he does when it's important to move quickly.

There was a passage of player midway through the second half, where he's sensibly placed as the last man, given his ability in the opposition's third is a liability. The ball comes out and he's left one-on-one with I think Haavertz - a player he can 100% take in a footrace. What does he do, as our last man? He stands square to Haavertz, who tries to knock it by and if he does - that's it, he's gone. But AWB get's lucky, it deflects and he keeps it! What is his next move, in this precarious situation? To mis control it, run into an Arsenal player, allowing Haavertz the freedom of the park behind him. It eventually leads to a corner, which Onana makes a great save on from a good header...from AWB. Any other professional footballer in that situation makes smarter choices. Any of them.

Of course, he also should have easily prevented their goal as all he had to do was block off the obvious run from Trossard.

He's awful. The only perk of this season is that I only have to see him in our kit for at most 2 more matches.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's been unbelievably shit since he came back from injury. Completely regressed to the non-footballer he was before

FerociousCorgis

His effort on that goal was just as bad as casemiro really. You seen your runner going in and half ass any effort, even though you have to know it's gonna be a tap in goal. He's just a dumbass mentally back there

criticalanalysis

I think this version of AWB is my least favourite United player ever. Certainly in recent memory. Name me a worse RB in the league. I'll wait. He's actually gotten worse over the course of his career, in terms of all the things that you're supposed to learn with experience. His positioning, terrible. Ability to read the flight of the ball in the air? Abysmal. Awareness of what is around him? Non-existent. Then there's this weird little jog he does when it's important to move quickly.

There was a passage of player midway through the second half, where he's sensibly placed as the last man, given his ability in the opposition's third is a liability. The ball comes out and he's left one-on-one with I think Haavertz - a player he can 100% take in a footrace. What does he do, as our last man? He stands square to Haavertz, who tries to knock it by and if he does - that's it, he's gone. But AWB get's lucky, it deflects and he keeps it! What is his next move, in this precarious situation? To mis control it, run into an Arsenal player, allowing Haavertz the freedom of the park behind him. It eventually leads to a corner, which Onana makes a great save on from a good header...from AWB. Any other professional footballer in that situation makes smarter choices. Any of them.

Of course, he also should have easily prevented their goal as all he had to do was block off the obvious run from Trossard.

He's awful. The only perk of this season is that I only have to see him in our kit for at most 2 more matches.
I thought he did well to tackle/block it the first time but you're right about the follow up miscontrol. What the feck was that. He had all the time in the world and knew he was the last man.

Again, another game where people got their 'play AWB at RB and Dalot at LB'. No upside and moving arguably our best player playing out from the back into a weaker position.

Oh and let's not mention the goal. Saw Trossard all the way and then chooses to go ahead of him to block the shot. Just jostle him aside/block him.

Beachryan

I thought he did well to tackle/block it the first time but you're right about the follow up miscontrol. What the feck was that. He had all the time in the world and knew he was the last man.

Again, another game where people got their 'play AWB at RB and Dalot at LB'. No upside and moving arguably our best player playing out from the back into a weaker position.

Oh and let's not mention the goal. Saw Trossard all the way and then chooses to go ahead of him to block the shot. Just jostle him aside/block him.
Indeed, it's more just what you're taught: if you're the last man you simply do not commit. Instead, he stands square. It's just incredible.

I honestly believe he can't be coached.

Ekeke

Had a good 2/3s of the season but the last third he hasnt been good. He's too casual and apprehensive these days and loses too many loose balls and chances to compete. When hes playing in his current form I have no issue with wanting to get someone performing better, as long as it is someone who will compete and win the ball and not someone who plays wingback for his current team.

Irwin99

Seen that goal happen far far too many times in his career here. Obviously the initial mistake is Casemiro's but AWB just never seems aware of what's around him.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Gormless and utterly brain dead. Genuinely doesn't have a clue how to position himself on a football pitch and jogs around like he's an ex-pro playing grassroots football. He's an utter embarrassment.