2024 U.S. Elections

sugar_kane

I've been watching 'Rise of the Nazis' on iPlayer (recommended btw) and one thing that struck me is how calculated, smart and effective those bastards were during their rise to power and going about dismantling an entire democratic system and taking down their rivals.

Trump is a moron surrounded by morons and yet it doesn't seem to be stopping him. I suppose it's reflective of the general state of the world. Stupidity conquers all.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
There is no way Trump is actually leading with young voters, no matter what some polls say.

Trump lost with young voters by a lot in 2020, so yeah, i'm not going to believe that he is sudennly winning over these people while getting indicted about every day.

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
There is no way Trump is actually leading with young voters, no matter what some polls say.
This. Absolutely this. There is not a U25 person in my life who is a Trump supporter, and that includes my niece whose parents are MAGA and who lives in a Trump +30 district. Talking with her she would estimate her school was like 60-70% on the pro Dem side. Obviously this is anecdotal, but I just can’t fathom it being an outlier.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
There was a lot of "there's no way" in 2016.
And there were a lot of doomsday polls(for dems) in 2022, it did not materialize.

GOP hasn't really had a single convincing election since 2016, could 2024 be another 2016? I guess, but there is little to indicate that now.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Trump lost with young voters by a lot in 2020, so yeah, i'm not going to believe that he is sudennly winning over these people while getting indicted about every day.
Also, national polls this far out are little more than name recognition polls. They may ask “who would you vote for as President”, and are being interpreted as “whose name have you heard in the news more lately?”.

Last edited:

Blood Mage

Biden has had such an underwhelming first term that you have to say Trump has a chance, especially as his base is much more energised than Biden's. A long way to go yet though.

Blood Mage

I am not sure Biden is getting the independent vote either Raoul. The guy is a running joke, and any competitive race is going to tax those few remaining brain cells to the max. There's not much there, there.

Trump would be a formidable candidate vs Biden, especially in the debates. And for the record, I don't think Trump does any jail time based on the charges levied on him so far. He'll get house confinement, at most, and if any of these weak sauce indictments get to the SC, they're getting tossed.

Newsome should run, he's young, energetic, a good debater and commands the stage.
Nobody outside of California knows who Newsom is. Trump would crush him on name recognition alone. It's important to recognise how thick and uninformed the American electorate is and how big a role name recognition plays, most of Trump's political success has come from him being a well known television personality and celebrity.

Last edited:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
And there were a lot of doomsday polls(for dems) in 2022, it did not materialize.

GOP hasn't really had a single convincing election since 2016, could 2024 be another 2016? I guess, but there is little to indicate that now.
That may be the case, but after 2016 people should be more cautious about using "there's no way" when it comes to trump. We live in strange times.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
That may be the case, but after 2016 people should be more cautious about using "there's no way" when it comes to trump. We live in strange times.
I'm not saying "no way" to Trump having a chance of winning the electoral college, it was a response to a specific poll about young voters.

As it stated, Biden won that group by 17 points in 2020, now it is possible that he will get lower turnout next time, but a 20 or so point swing towards Trump won't happen, its impossible.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I'm not saying "no way" to Trump having a chance of winning the electoral college, it was a response to a specific poll about young voters.

As it stated, Biden won that group by 17 points in 2020, now it is possible that he will get lower turnout next time, but a 20 or so point swing towards Trump won't happen, its impossible.
Many young folks make more jokes about biden's age than trump's general lunacy.

I think you're right and I hope you're right, it just wouldn't surprise me if the opposite happens.

The United

I don't really get why people say Biden’s first term is underwhelming.

I tried to think what amazing achievements the likes of Trump, Obama, Bush got in their first terms.

My memory might be failing.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Biden has had such an underwhelming first term that you have to say Trump has a chance, especially as his base is much more energised than Biden's. A long way to go yet though.
This is a ridiculous take. You either do not follow the news in the US, or you only follow right wing shit. From a policy perspective I would challenge you to name a president who has passed more meaningful and sweeping legislation since Johnson.

Nobody outside of California knows who Newsom is. Trump would crush him on name recognition alone. It's important to recognise how thick and uninformed the American electorate is and how big a role name recognition plays, most of Trump's political success has come from him being a well know television personality and celebrity.
Bullshit. He may not be at Trump level of name ID, but DeSantis might be the only Gov with more.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Nobody outside of California knows who Newsom is. Trump would crush him on name recognition alone. It's important to recognise how thick and uninformed the American electorate is and how big a role name recognition plays, most of Trump's political success has come from him being a well know television personality and celebrity.
Everyone knows who Newsom is. He's even been on Fox to debate Hannity, so Republicans are more than aware (nevermind he used to be married to Don Jr's girlfriend).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't really get why people say Biden’s first term is underwhelming.

I tried to think what amazing achievements the likes of Trump, Obama, Bush got in their first terms.

My memory might be failing.
Underwhelming as in the country has struggled during his time in office. Not all his fault of course given that he came in during peak COVID and had to deal with wild economic gyrations related to the pandemic, inflation resulting from the Trump tax cuts, and the Afghanistan situation (again initiated by Trump), a border crisis and several other issues. So while there have been some positives, Biden will always carry the aforenoted issues as a political albatross around his neck.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Other than him passing more historic legislation that positively affects the country like infrastructure, domestic manufacturing, especially computer chips, the environment, inflation reduction, & veteran's healthcare (I'm forgetting a couple) than any president since the 1960s, then, yeah, he has been a little underwhelming.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Has it? Economy is growing, inflation is down, COVID is under control, unemployment is back to normal, the US is back again leading an international effort that is hurting its rivals and standing up to China without compromising a single soldier's life, and the 2022 election went considerably better than expected which has only become more patent with the chaos at the House.

I'd define it more as uninspiring than underwhelming, please tell me if i'm forgetting something important (maybe the border crisis, but that has been similar for like 60 years in a row now). I'd also add that historically US governments that don't feck up massively (and this can still happen BTW) tend to get reelected.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Has it? Economy is growing, inflation is down, COVID is under control, unempoyement is back to normal, the US is back again leading an international effort that is hurting its rivals and standing up to China without compromising a single soldier's life, and the 2022 election went considerably better than expected which has only become more patent with the chaos at the House.

I'd define it more as uninspiring than underwhelming, please tell me if i'm forgetting something important (maybe the border crisis, but that has been similar for like 60 years in a row now).
If Biden wins, it won't be because of anything he's done, rather it will be for the same reasons as in 2020, to keep Trump out of office. Most voters know Biden won't have a Congress able to do much in terms of advancing his policies, so it will come down to to simple issue of protecting the country by keeping Trump out of power (notwithstanding the fact that there's a good chance he could be in jail by the end of next year).

RedDevilQuebecois

That will most likely change once for all on November 30. If Newsom goes in full speed and destroys DeSantis in the unofficial debate on Fox News, all news media will be talking about him.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Was watching Bill Maher the other day, he sounded like he's been reading my rants on Biden

Maher predicted that the GOP would sweep in the midterms, so what does he know?

He is a comedian, not a political expert.

Mike Smalling

Was watching Bill Maher the other day, he sounded like he's been reading my rants on Biden

He could be right, but there is also a lot of irony in that segment. He bemoans the "ubiquitous media picking apart every mistake", while doing exactly that. And for all his decades of faults, I think it's in poor taste to put a graphic over McConnell and laugh at his incidents.

While there definitely is a scenario, where Joe Biden loses to Trump, I don't think it's clear that a change in candidate leads to a slam dunk victory for the Democrats. And segments like this kind of just adds to the false equivalency between being old and somewhat senile (Biden) and 100% certifiably criminal, insane, and fascistic (Trump).

Redplane

Massive moobs (planned for Christmas)
Bill Maher gives me the occasional Dennis Miller vibes these days.
Or Joe Rogan. My Trump loving FiL actually watches him and seems to think he s part of the anti woke crowd and just pretends to have some Democrat/progressive beliefs. Nowadays, I'm not sure he's wrong about that.

I stopped watching Maher when he turned into old man yelling at cloud.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Or Joe Rogan. My Trump loving FiL actually watches him and seems to think he s part of the anti woke crowd and just pretends to have some Democrat/progressive beliefs. Nowadays, I'm not sure he's wrong about that.
Yep, that's what happened with Dennis Miller. Slowly but surely drifting from his lefty views in the 90s to being a stout neocon to being MAGA, all the while dropping the occasional progressive bread crumb to obfuscate his rightward drift.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Yep, that's what happened with Dennis Miller. Slowly but surely drifting from his lefty views in the 90s to being a stout neocon to being MAGA, all the while dropping the occasional progressive bread crumb to obfuscate his rightward drift.
Wow. :lol:

Miller later told American Enterprise that one of the reasons he became more conservative was due to liberal critiques of Mayor Rudy Giuliani's approach to fighting crime in New York City, which began around 1994. "When I kept hearing liberals equating Giuliani with Hitler—that's when I really left the reservation. Even before 9/11, I'd travel to New York and say, 'Wow, this city certainly seems to be running better. Giuliani is the kind of leader I admire.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Miller#Political_views

Suedesi

He could be right, but there is also a lot of irony in that segment. He bemoans the "ubiquitous media picking apart every mistake", while doing exactly that. And for all his decades of faults, I think it's in poor taste to put a graphic over McConnell and laugh at his incidents.

While there definitely is a scenario, where Joe Biden loses to Trump, I don't think it's clear that a change in candidate leads to a slam dunk victory for the Democrats. And segments like this kind of just adds to the false equivalency between being old and somewhat senile (Biden) and 100% certifiably criminal, insane, and fascistic (Trump).
feck McConnell, he deserves to be made fun of (and so do Pelosi, Trump, Biden etc).

Per your second point, I think Biden will get obliterated in the debates and while campaigning. David Brooks (NYT) makes the same argument in a more eloquent manner if you're curious (linked above).