Obama or McCain/Democrat or Republican..you decide

• McCain

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Obama

Votes: 173 92.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
...7 years after the war began...

When the pictures of the fireworks display that was 'Shock and Awe' were being beamed around the world I never imagined that it would still be ongoing so many years later...

What is McCains plan regarding your troops in Iraq?

When the pictures of the fireworks display that was 'Shock and Awe' were being beamed around the world I never imagined that it would still be ongoing so many years later...

He said something about 100 years... that is all he has said, as far as I know.

Oh, and that he'd rather lose a campaign than lose the war. Some blather along those lines, whatever that means.

(The above is fact, not fiction...)

He wants to win. Whatever the feck that means.

The hundred years thing is unfair though, it wasn't 100 years of war he was approving. Asked if he agreed with Bush's statement that we might be there 50 more years, he replied, "Make it a hundred. ... We’ve been in Japan for 60 years. We’ve been in South Korea for 50 years or so. That would be fine with me, as long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed."

I would sum up his plan for Iraq by saying that he wants to win the war, using the strategies employed in The Surge. The troops would then be brought home in honor and Victory.

Strategy for Victory in Iraq, from his campaign website.

His plan as parsed by The Daily Kos, a fairly well-respected left-leaning political blog. The conclusion: "I do not see any space at all between McCain's views and Bush's views. I think Barack Obama and anyone else is fully justified in tying Bush to McCain."

McCain, Obama On Iraq, Afghanistan And Trade, a comparison of policies from Huffington Post, another left-leaning site.

Couldn't find an article that only analyzed McCain's Iraq policy from right-leaning sources like RightClearPolitics or NationalReviewOnline. But if someone finds it, it would be interesting to read. Personally, I think Daily Kos is about right - McCain would be more of the same.

I am quite sure it was the 2nd debate, McCain said he wanted to continue with the current policy of 'Clear, Stablize, Rebuild'...

Without being too synicle... because there is nothing funny about this policy:

This three prong policy is literally - 1. Blow the fecking shit out of anything that leans in the Anti-American direction. 2. Continue to exterminate anything the resembles Anti-American, until there is nothing left but pathetic and desperate whispers of submission. 3. Build a Starbucks, Dominoes Pizza, and Wal-Mart.

I did my best on this one...

In the end... McCain doesn't have a fecking clue as to how he'd take the war in Iraq in a direction that George Bush, hasn't already.

More over, from the reports in the Washington Post... McCain is chummy with the very same private military corporations as Bush/Chenney.

Did anyone catch Jon Stewart, last night?

10,000 McCainiacs - funny and scary, all at the same time. It's frightening to see the Carl Rove tactics that McCain and Palin have resorted to, can turn an angry mob into some Mid-Evil times torch swinging mob.

The hundred years thing is unfair though, it wasn't 100 years of war he was approving. Asked if he agreed with Bush's statement that we might be there 50 more years, he replied, "Make it a hundred. ... We’ve been in Japan for 60 years. We’ve been in South Korea for 50 years or so. That would be fine with me, as long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed."

It is not unfair Chris. It merely shows how unrealistic McCain is. Is it realistic to expect American military personal not to be in danger in an Arab country?

McCain...once again is talking through his arse.

I believe we will have some sort of presence in Iraq after we withdraw most of the troops....but they better be watching their backs.

It is not unfair Chris. It merely shows how unrealistic McCain is. Is it realistic to expect American military personal not to be in danger in an Arab country?

McCain...once again is talking through his arse.

I believe we will have some sort of presence in Iraq after we withdraw most of the troops....but they better be watching their backs.
Look, I'm not voting for the guy, and I think his ideas about Iraq are misguided and foolish, just as they have been every step of the way, since before the war began. "We'll win very quickly. We'll be greeted as liberators. We'll find WMDs." Wrong, wrong, wrong. But the way that quote is thrown around, people usually make it sound like McCain would be okay with us fighting the war, and not having Iraq govern itself, for 100 years. Which isn't true. Of course, if we do "stay the course", as he would have us do, we'd be there a long, long, long time. Because I don't think this thing is "winnable" in the near future the way he thinks it is. And you're right, being in Iraq would not be quite like being in South Korea, or Japan - ever. But still...fairness.

Look, I'm not voting for the guy, and I think his ideas about Iraq are misguided and foolish, just as they have been every step of the way, since before the war began. "We'll win very quickly. We'll be greeted as liberators. We'll find WMDs." Wrong, wrong, wrong. But the way that quote is thrown around, people usually make it sound like McCain would be okay with us fighting the war, and not having Iraq govern itself, for 100 years. Which isn't true. Of course, if we do "stay the course", as he would have us do, we'd be there a long, long, long time. Because I don't think this thing is "winnable" in the near future the way he thinks it is. And you're right, being in Iraq would not be quite like being in South Korea, or Japan - ever. But still...fairness.

.....of course the Dems know that is not exactly what he meant...but do you really expect them to give him an inch when he is taking miles?

Speaking of which, apparently it isn't working.

Poll Says McCain Hurts His Bid by Using Attacks
By Michael Cooper and Megan Thee
New York Times, 10-15-08

The McCain campaign’s recent angry tone and sharply personal attacks on Senator Barack Obama appear to have backfired and tarnished Senator John McCain more than their intended target, the latest New York Times/CBS News poll has found.

After several weeks in which the McCain campaign unleashed a series of strong political attacks on Mr. Obama, trying to tie him to a former 1960s radical, among other things, the poll found that more voters see Mr. McCain as waging a negative campaign than Mr. Obama. Six in 10 voters surveyed said that Mr. McCain had spent more time attacking Mr. Obama than explaining what he would do as president; by about the same number, voters said Mr. Obama was spending more of his time explaining than attacking. Overall, the poll found that if the election were held today, 53 percent of those determined to be probable voters said they would vote for Mr. Obama and 39 percent said they would vote for Mr. McCain...

Voters who said their opinions of Mr. Obama had changed recently were twice as likely to say they had grown more favorable as to say they had worsened. And voters who said that their views of Mr. McCain had changed were three times more likely to say that they had worsened than to say they had improved. The top reasons cited by those who said they thought less of Mr. McCain were his recent attacks and his choice of Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska as his running mate. (The vast majority said their opinions of Mr. Obama of Illinois, the Democratic nominee, and Mr. McCain of Arizona, the Republican nominee, had remained unchanged in recent weeks.) But in recent days, Mr. McCain and Ms. Palin have scaled back their attacks on Mr. Obama, although Mr. McCain suggested he might aggressively take on Mr. Obama in Wednesday’s debate.

With the election unfolding against the backdrop of an extraordinary economic crisis, a lack of confidence in government, and two wars, the survey described a very inhospitable environment for any Republican to run for office. More than 8 in 10 Americans do not trust the government to do what is right, the highest ever recorded in a Times/CBS News poll. And Mr. McCain is trying to keep the White House in Republican hands at a time when President Bush’s job approval rating is at 24 percent, hovering near its historic low. While the poll showed Mr. Obama with a 14 percentage-point lead among likely voters in a head-to-head matchup with Mr. McCain, when Ralph Nader and Bob Barr, the Libertarian candidate, were included in the question, the race narrowed slightly, with 51 percent of those surveyed saying that they were supporting Mr. Obama and 39 percent supporting Mr. McCain, with Mr. Nader getting the support of 3 percent and Mr. Barr 1 percent. Other national polls have shown Mr. Obama ahead by a smaller margin.

And after nearly eight years of increasingly unpopular Republican rule in the White House, 52 percent of those polled said that they held a favorable view of the Democratic Party, compared with 37 percent who said they held a favorable view of the Republican Party. Voters said they preferred Democrats to Republicans when it came to questions about who would better handle the issues that are of the greatest concern to voters — including the economy, health care and the war in Iraq.

The nationwide telephone poll was conducted Friday through Monday with 1,070 adults, of whom 972 were registered voters, and it has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus three percentage points for both groups.

After several weeks in which the McCain campaign sought to tie Mr. Obama to William Ayers, a founder of the Weather Underground terrorism group, 64 percent of voters said that they had either read or heard something about the subject. But a majority said they were not bothered by Mr. Obama’s background or past associations. Several people said in follow-up interviews that they felt that Mr. McCain’s attacks on Mr. Obama were too rooted in the past, or too unconnected to the nation’s major problems. “What bothers me is that McCain initially talked about running a campaign on issues and I want to hear him talk about the issues,” said Flavio Lorenzoni, a 59-year-old independent from Manalapan, N.J. “But we’re being constantly bombarded with attacks that aren’t relevant to making a decision about what direction McCain would take the country. McCain hasn’t addressed the real issues. He’s only touched on them very narrowly. This is a time when we need to address issues much more clearly than they ever have been in the past.”

the strange thing this election season is...people seem more focused on the pocketbook issues...which they always should be. That is why the Ayers and other idiotic attacks are not working except with the morons who were never going to vote for Obama anyways....

the strange thing this election season is...people seem more focused on the pocketbook issues...which they always should be. That is why the Ayers and other idiotic attacks are not working....
They usually do though. I think I said this five pages ago, but the economy is keeping the Republicans from diverting attention from real issues by talking about gay marriage, prayer in schools, saluting the flag and other bullshit. Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I'm a little worked up this fall, as I suspect many other voters are. Unfortunately my vote won't count, since I live in a state where McCain is ahead by 30 points.

They usually do though. I think I said this five pages ago, but the economy is keeping the Republicans from diverting attention from real issues by talking about gay marriage, prayer in schools, saluting the flag and other bullshit. Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I'm a little worked up this fall, as I suspect many other voters are. Unfortunately my vote won't count, since I live in a state where McCain is ahead by 30 points.

Now what state has a Republican lead of 30 points? Surely not even Texas given the large urban population, am I correct to say?

I'm dying to know.

Absolutely shocking

Fecking hell. I want Obama to win just to see the reactions of those kind of people, if nothing else.

Though, I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to find backward racists in any country, if you looked hard enough.

Fecking hell. I want Obama to win just to see the reactions of those kind of people, if nothing else.

Though, I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to find backward racists in any country, if you looked hard enough.

Or go to a football stadium in Italy, Spain, Croatia....

This has been the best debate so far; mainly because it's been a debate. Why couldn't they have used this format all the way through?

McCain is on the attack, he's throwing everything out there. His problem is that Obama just looks so cool and presidential in his retorts! McCain is looking like an angry old man. And he had the audacity to criticise Obama's campaign for being negative! There's been too much media focus on the McCain negative tactics for that kind of approach to work, it just sounds disingenuous

McCain might gain in the polls for having some fight in him. But I reckon this election is over, its about the scale of the Obama victory now

McCain's debate performances are remarkably similar to Al Gore's in 2000. A different candidate showed up in each debate. Similarly, Obama has been the same, just as Bush was.

McCain started well but he's lost it in the last half hour. Liking the questions but once again the answers have been evasive.

Btw, is McCain using makeup?

McCain started well but he's lost it in the last half hour. Liking the questions but once again the answers have been evasive.

Btw, is McCain using makeup?

Yeh I agree, McCain did suprisingly well in the first couple of questions but now he's going for petty political point scoring way too often, he's too interested in making Obama look bad.

Is it working?

I don't think so, on CNN they're graphing what the undecided voters think and there seems to be a sharp drop whenever a personal attack takes place - which ever candidate is doing it. Obama seems to be restraining himself and taking the high road more often - sticking to the big issues.

McCain is very aggressive tonight... I now who I'm favouring but wouldn't hazard to guess what everyone else thinks...

I think this debate effectively seals the result of the Presidential race. McCain didn't really do anything to reverse Obama's momentum.

I think this debate effectively seals the result of the Presidential race. McCain didn't really do anything to reverse Obama's momentum.

Not for the lack of trying, trying too hard...

McCain doesn't seem to plan many changes, it seems like everythng will stay the same as under Bush

On college education, he wants to adjust loans given to students for inflation. Obama -$4000/year scholarship in exchange for some community service.

Did you hear McCain's answer on Supreme Court appointments, he wouldn't use a litmus test when choosing his appointments and he would choose the most qualified person. Then in his next breath he said that someone who supported Roe V Wade isn't qualified.

A pathetic answer in my opinion

CBS Instant poll of uncommitted voters:

Obama won 53%
McCain won 22%
Draw 25%

Incidently, how can anyone watch American TV usually? There's more advert than actualy program, it's infuriating

CBS Instant poll of uncommitted voters:

Obama won 53%
McCain won 22%
Draw 25%

Incidently, how can anyone watch American TV usually? There's more advert than actualy program, it's infuriating

CNN poll had similar results. So many ads, I wonder how many other times you get 90 minutes straight ad-free on american tv.

They'll be over playing that 'I'm not George Bush...' comment from McCain, I thought it was pretty good but in the whole scheme of things it means nothing.