U.S. Presidential Race: Official Thread

Obama or McCain/Democrat or Republican..you decide

• McCain

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Obama

Votes: 173 92.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Its not about whether he shook it once or twice but of the perception of being petty about not shaking Obama's extended hand.

I think if you watch it again you'll see it was McCain getting his attention to say hello to his wife. They don't appear to like each other but they are civil.

I kinda liked it what was it, "I shook Putin's hand and looked into his eyes and saw three letters K-G-B" hahaha

I thought that shit was funny as hell. And he's right. The only other good jab I thought by McCain was when he asked to hear what the fine to small businesses who don't provide health care is. Obama of course skirted the question and McCain smaked him with it again. Other than that McCain was fighting a losing battle.

Momentum continues to swing toward Obama. McCain needed a big victory last night - didn't get even a small one. And the "talking points" relating to the post-debate water cooler talk are not in his favor, in my opinion.

The McCain camp, as well as all of right-wing talk radio and Fox News, has for months portrayed Obama as an untested dangerous radical who the country can't afford to have at the helm. McCain played up the inexperience card last night by saying that in these desperate times, we need a "steady hand on the tiller" and can't afford "on-the job training". Obama countered the tiller and job training comments last night with a pretty solid comeback about McCain making irresponsible, or at the very least childish statements about bombing Iran and wiping North Korea off the map. And I have to say, I'm biased here because I've known for months that I will vote for Obama, but of the two candidates, he was the one who looked more presidential last night. And the more the public sees of Obama during these debates, and on the campaign trail, more and more undecided voters are looking at him and thinking, "You know, he really doesn't look like a dangerous radical to me..."

Three or four years ago, I thought the attention Obama was getting here was all hype, Democrats wetting themselves about the fact that they might actually have another presidential candidate (second one in about forty fecking years) who actually had more than an ounce of charisma, and thus a chance to win the office. But I've been really impressed by the way he has handled himself lately during the campaign. Granted it's only the campaign, different than actually serving in the office, but thus far, performing on the largest stage hasn't phased him a bit. Quite the contrary, I think. And with the economy tanking and Americans more concerned than ever about healthcare, I think a modest majority of Americans are going to rate him as the more credible, more desirable candidate on those issues. Certainly to hear the two speak, McCain certainly appeals to his base, but does not seem to be convincing anyone else. Meanwhile Obama's stature seems to be growing, even as the campaign hits "squeaky-bum time". Watched his campaign rally in Indiana (CNN showed it) this morning, seemed to me he was following up very well on some of the better points he made last night, and will likely continue to push the momentum in his direction, with more undecided or moderate voters deciding he's the better candidate for the job. Which in my opinion he is.

One more thing. The economy tanking means that Republicans are not going to get their usual mileage out of wedge issues like abortion, gay marriage, or similar issues that have very little to do with what a candidate can actually achieve in office. People are pissed, and people at every level of the socioeconomic ladder are feeling the pain. Palin will wink, and "Maverick!", and slander Obama for palling around with terrorists for the next four weeks, but she's preaching to the choir. The rest of the congregation isn't going to buy it. McCain has done very little to differentiate himself from President Bush on the economy, and also the war, and even too many Republicans don't want 4-8 more years of it.

One more thing. The economy tanking means that Republicans are not going to get their usual mileage out of wedge issues like abortion, gay marriage, or similar issues that have very little to do with what a candidate can actually achieve in office. People are pissed, and people at every level of the socioeconomic ladder are feeling the pain. Palin will wink, and "Maverick!", and slander Obama for palling around with terrorists for the next four weeks, but she's preaching to the choir. The rest of the congregation isn't going to buy it. McCain has done very little to differentiate himself from President Bush on the economy, and also the war, and even too many Republicans don't want 4-8 more years of it.

Even if that's true they will certainly not be voting for Obama.

Even if that's true they will certainly not be voting for Obama.
Some will, and many Republicans will avoid the polls altogether, which also helps Obama. I don't think there are many Democrats who are going to sit this one out because they can't be bothered.

And Cancer doesn't care about how good your health care is. Statistically, he has a 25% chance of it returning and a 10% chance of dying.
He's had what, 4 melanomas? Makes the Palin appointment seem even more irresponsible. To be fair to him re:comments about him looking old during the debate, he's hurt by the fact that he is unable to lift his arms above his shoulders because of injuries he sustained in Vietnam. Makes him look very rigid and move very awkwardly, sort of like a marionet.

The Presidential Campaign has taken an UGLY turn...

In recent days, McCain/Palin have unleashed a Hillary form of 'Kitchen Sink' rhetoric on the 'Low Information People' (as Chris Mathews depicts the stupid people of PA and FL).

People in the crowds at the McCain and Palin rallies are heard to be screams this such as "KILL HIM!!!" - and ''TREASON!!!''...

The media in there monsterous irresponsible way have been looping coverage of Palin and McCain saying Obama is a terrorist sympathizer.

It is getting very weird and scary, hoping Obama's family stays safe. Hoping, too, that the media starts to report in a way that calms people, rather than incites this violent reaction.

MSNBC now claims that McCain has been known to stop people from such radical rhetoric... the proof says otherwise.

As you can see in this rally footage... Sen. John McCain doesn't even flinch both times as someone, very cleary, says, 'KILL HIM'.

The Most Sickening part of this is, the media says it's a few bad apples, but if you carefully listen - it's first a woman that says 'KILL HIM' ~ Then the crowd is filled with a low level laughter - followed up by a man repeating the call to 'KILL HIM'...

This is like a 'Perfect Storm' for the GOP...

- The Stock Market hurling downward without any sight of a bottom

- President George Bush being tagged as the worst President in American history.

- McCain, very well, could be the worst person that ever wanted to become President.

This is a couple of weeks old, but I thought 'd post it. From the respected conservative magazine National Review:

Palin Problem
She’s out of her league.
By Kathleen Parker

If at one time women were considered heretical for swimming upstream against feminist orthodoxy, they now face condemnation for swimming downstream — away from Sarah Palin. To express reservations about her qualifications to be vice president — and possibly president — is to risk being labeled anti-woman. Or, as I am guilty of charging her early critics, supporting only a certain kind of woman. Some of the passionately feminist critics of Palin who attacked her personally deserved some of the backlash they received. But circumstances have changed since Palin was introduced as just a hockey mom with lipstick — what a difference a financial crisis makes — and a more complicated picture has emerged.

As we’ve seen and heard more from John McCain’s running mate, it is increasingly clear that Palin is a problem. Quick study or not, she doesn’t know enough about economics and foreign policy to make Americans comfortable with a President Palin should conditions warrant her promotion. Yes, she recently met and turned several heads of state as the United Nations General Assembly convened in New York. She was gracious, charming and disarming. Men swooned. Pakistan’s president wanted to hug her. (Perhaps Osama bin Laden is dying to meet her?) And, yes, she has common sense, something we value. And she’s had executive experience as a mayor and a governor, though of relatively small constituencies (about 6,000 and 680,000, respectively).

Finally, Palin’s narrative is fun, inspiring and all-American in that frontier way we seem to admire. When Palin first emerged as John McCain’s running mate, I confess I was delighted. She was the antithesis and nemesis of the hirsute, Birkenstock-wearing sisterhood — a refreshing feminist of a different order who personified the modern successful working mother. Palin didn’t make a mess cracking the glass ceiling. She simply glided through it. It was fun while it lasted.

Palin’s recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League.

No one hates saying that more than I do. Like so many women, I’ve been pulling for Palin, wishing her the best, hoping she will perform brilliantly. I’ve also noticed that I watch her interviews with the held breath of an anxious parent, my finger poised over the mute button in case it gets too painful. Unfortunately, it often does. My cringe reflex is exhausted. Palin filibusters. She repeats words, filling space with deadwood. Cut the verbiage and there’s not much content there. Here’s but one example of many from her interview with Hannity: “Well, there is a danger in allowing some obsessive partisanship to get into the issue that we’re talking about today. And that’s something that John McCain, too, his track record, proving that he can work both sides of the aisle, he can surpass the partisanship that must be surpassed to deal with an issue like this.”

When Couric pointed to polls showing that the financial crisis had boosted Obama’s numbers, Palin blustered wordily: “I’m not looking at poll numbers. What I think Americans at the end of the day are going to be able to go back and look at track records and see who’s more apt to be talking about solutions and wishing for and hoping for solutions for some opportunity to change, and who’s actually done it?”

If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself.

If Palin were a man, we’d all be guffawing, just as we do every time Joe Biden tickles the back of his throat with his toes. But because she’s a woman — and the first ever on a Republican presidential ticket — we are reluctant to say what is painfully true. What to do? McCain can’t repudiate his choice for running mate. He not only risks the wrath of the GOP’s unforgiving base, but he invites others to second-guess his executive decision-making ability. Barack Obama faces the same problem with Biden. Only Palin can save McCain, her party, and the country she loves. She can bow out for personal reasons, perhaps because she wants to spend more time with her newborn. No one would criticize a mother who puts her family first.

Do it for your country.

Conservative New York Times columnist David Brooks weighs in on Sarah Palin.

David Brooks: Sarah Palin "Represents A Fatal Cancer To The Republican Party"

David Brooks spoke frankly about the presidential and vice presidential candidates Monday afternoon, calling Sarah Palin a "fatal cancer to the Republican party" but describing John McCain and Barack Obama as "the two best candidates we've had in a long time." In an interview with The Atlantic's Jeffrey Goldberg at New York's Le Cirque restaurant to unveil that magazine's redesign, Brooks decried Palin's anti-intellectualism and compared her to President Bush in that regard:

"[Sarah Palin] represents a fatal cancer to the Republican party. When I first started in journalism, I worked at the National Review for Bill Buckley. And Buckley famously said he'd rather be ruled by the first 2,000 names in the Boston phone book than by the Harvard faculty. But he didn't think those were the only two options. He thought it was important to have people on the conservative side who celebrated ideas, who celebrated learning. And his whole life was based on that, and that was also true for a lot of the other conservatives in the Reagan era. Reagan had an immense faith in the power of ideas. But there has been a counter, more populist tradition, which is not only to scorn liberal ideas but to scorn ideas entirely. And I'm afraid that Sarah Palin has those prejudices. I think President Bush has those prejudices."

Brooks praised Palin's natural political talent, but said she is "absolutely not" ready to be president or vice president. He explained, "The more I follow politicians, the more I think experience matters, the ability to have a template of things in your mind that you can refer to on the spot, because believe me, once in office there's no time to think or make decisions." The New York Times columnist also said that the "great virtue" of Palin's counterpart, Democratic vice presidential nominee Joe Biden, is that he is anything but a "yes man." "[Biden] can't not say what he thinks," Brooks remarked. "There's no internal monitor, and for Barack Obama, that's tremendously important to have a vice president who will be that way. Our current president doesn't have anybody like that." Brooks also spent time praising Obama's intellect and skills in social perception, telling two stories of his interactions with Obama that left him "dazzled":

"Obama has the great intellect. I was interviewing Obama a couple years ago, and I'm getting nowhere with the interview, it's late in the night, he's on the phone, walking off the Senate floor, he's cranky. Out of the blue I say, 'Ever read a guy named Reinhold Niebuhr?' And he says, 'Yeah.' So i say, 'What did Niebuhr mean to you?' For the next 20 minutes, he gave me a perfect description of Reinhold Niebuhr's thought, which is a very subtle thought process based on the idea that you have to use power while it corrupts you. And I was dazzled, I felt the tingle up my knee as Chris Matthews would say."

"And the other thing that does separate Obama from just a pure intellectual: he has tremendous powers of social perception. And this is why he's a politician, not an academic. A couple of years ago, I was writing columns attacking the Republican congress for spending too much money. And I throw in a few sentences attacking the Democrats to make myself feel better. And one morning I get an email from Obama saying, 'David, if you wanna attack us, fine, but you're only throwing in those sentences to make yourself feel better.' And it was a perfect description of what was going through my mind. And everybody who knows Obama all have these stories to tell about his capacity for social perception."

Brooks predicted an Obama victory by nine points, and said that although he found Obama to be "a very mediocre senator," he was is surrounded by what Brooks called "by far the most impressive people in the Democratic party." "He's phenomenally good at surrounding himself with a team," Brooks said. "I disagree with them on most issues, but I am given a lot of comfort by the fact that the people he's chosen are exactly the people I think most of us would want to choose if we were in his shoes. So again, I have doubts about him just because he was such a mediocre senator, but his capacity to pick staff is impressive."

Appearing on ABC News with Diane Sawyer, Joseph Biden laughs uncontrollably upon watching the "Saturday Night Live" sketch lampooning himself and Sarah Palin...

Full skit here, if you haven't seen it.

Mc-CNN isn't giving up on the GOP ticket...

As I was finishing up my day, I listened to Rick Sanchez, in my car on satellite radio, at around 3:40pm ET....

He claims to have been seeking out 'First Time Voters or FTVs' as he calls them.... The only problem is that these supposed FTVs are using the the Carl Rove lines that were used in 2000, stuff like... 'You may not agree with McCain and Palin, but you know where they stand...'

What a load of crap, which will not work for a third consecutive GOP Presidential run.

The other unbelievable load of shit is, Mc-CNN is looping footage of McCain blaming the Sub-Prime problem on two congressmen. Adding that he has a list of other Democrats involved.

It's crazy to think that the USA will get itself out of this mess with idiots such as McCain desperately pointing fingers, without a clue as to fixing this mess.

Ok Obama supporters, anti-McCain, people that just see McCain as not a good choice (I feel neither are the best candidates)... what do you think Obama will do for the US?

Ok Obama supporters, anti-McCain, people that just see McCain as not a good choice (I feel neither are the best candidates)... what do you think Obama will do for the US?

He'll walk on water, end hunger, end war, there will no longer be a need for money as we'll all be brought into a higher state of conciousness. Haven't you been listening?

Come LABOB, Red Dreams, AlwaysRedwood...tell me what I've left off. Surely there's so much more.

Me and the boys at the Coto were just discussing this. :smirk:

Given the last eight years of needless war, massive loss of international prestige, shocking failure to deal with natural disaster, and fiscal waste that may prove catastrophic, just not doing anything amazingly stupid would be good enough.

Appearing on ABC News with Diane Sawyer, Joseph Biden laughs uncontrollably upon watching the "Saturday Night Live" sketch lampooning himself and Sarah Palin...

Full skit here, if you haven't seen it.

That was pathetic acting from JB. and you know what I don't like either of the VPs.

Ok McCain supporters, anti-Obama, people that just see Obama as not a good choice (I'm leaning towards Obama)... what do you think McCain will do for the US?