• McCain

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Obama

Votes: 173 92.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
jasonrh.gif

:lol::lol:

If Hillary couldn't satisfy her husband, how is she going to satisfy a country.

She's a tit, and the country is going to hell if she attains the office.

Romney drops out of race, and takes swipe at Europe in closing remarks.

Millionaire Mitt Romney has dropped out of the race to win the Republican nomination for the White House, taking a swipe at Europe as he did so.

The decision to stand aside makes Arizona Senator John McCain the all-but-certain nominee of his party for November's presidential election.[/

The Democratic nomination is being fought out between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

Former Massachusetts governor Romney made his announcement in a speech to the Conservative Political Action Conference.

Mr Romney said: "I must now stand aside, for our party and our country.

"If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win.

"And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign be a part of aiding a surrender to terror."

He added: "This is not an easy decision for me. I hate to lose."

Mr Romney, a Mormon, also warned that America must not end up as "the France of the 21st century - a great country but not a world leader".

And he addressed what he saw as Europe's problems as he called on the United States to approve a constitutional amendment that would ban gay marriages.

He said: "Europe is facing a demographic disaster. That's the inevitable product of weakened faith in the Creator, failed families, disrespect for the sanctity of human life, and eroded morality."

Mr Romney lost 14 of 21 states on Super Tuesday, the biggest day of US presidential voting ahead of November's election.

Mr McCain enjoyed coast-to-coast wins and cemented his position as frontrunner.

Mr Romney had vowed to fight on after Super Tuesday, but he and his campaign advisers discussed the situation on Wednesday.

He has been helping to bankroll his campaign using his own personal wealth.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1304526,00.html

Ha ha.

How much coin did the mannequin drop?

More votes for Huckabee now. If he eventually runs with McCain, at least it'll make things easier for Repubs when voting in November.

Is that for residence claim or office claim, because we all know Hillary didn't "qualify" for NY senate run in reality.

The word used in the Amendment was "inhabitant." In contemporary context, that would mean either a resident (taxpayer, primary residence, qualified for in-state tuition, registered to vote there, etc.) or officeholder from that state.
Hillary would be considered a New Yorker even though she just made a short visit there after Bill moved out of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue so that she could be crowned "Senator" and move back to her actual residence of Washington D.C.

Ha ha.

How much coin did the mannequin drop?

More votes for Huckabee now. If he eventually runs with McCain, at least it'll make things easier for Repubs when voting in November.

Huckabee? Sorry, but as a GOP voter for the past 37 years, I still prefer to vote for people who are not "creationists" who totally reject the concepts of evolution. This is even before we get to the Bible vs the Constitution (and separation of church and state) problems he presents.

Huckabee? Sorry, but as a GOP voter for the past 37 years, I still prefer to vote for people who are not "creationists" who totally reject the concepts of evolution. This is even before we get to the Bible vs the Constitution (and separation of church and state) problems he presents.

Yes, but your party's base loves his wacky beliefs and they sure as shit aren't going to vote for McCain in November despite his pitiful attempts to pander to them.

Yes, but your party's base loves his wacky beliefs and they sure as shit aren't going to vote for McCain in November despite his pitiful attempts to pander to them.

I worked as an inspector at a precinct here in Fresno on election day. There were a large number of younger voters showing up, along with some minority folk I hadn't seen around much (this was my neighborhood and my home precinct was voting at the same location) and more than a few women who, although registered GOP, wanted to vote in the Democratic Primary.

With McCain now basically assured of the Republican nomination, his real test is whether he can convince the religious right to support him (considering the alternatives) without totally alienating the moderates, undecideds, and non-partisan voters.

On the Democratic side, there are a lot of currently energized voters who might not be so enthused if "the other candidate" takes the nomination. I doubt seriously that the women cross-over voters (from GOP/nonpartisan) will stick around to support Obama at the expense of McCain, while the African-Americans proudly supporting Barak might not show up in November to send Hillary to the White House. If the two frontrunners get really nasty with each other as we head toward Denver in August, each risks alienating a necessary constituency if either wishes to change ownership of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Amazing--considering the ineptitude of Bush over the last 7+ years, the Democrats still aren't a lock to carry the general election.

I worked as an inspector at a precinct here in Fresno on election day. There were a large number of younger voters showing up, along with some minority folk I hadn't seen around much (this was my neighborhood and my home precinct was voting at the same location) and more than a few women who, although registered GOP, wanted to vote in the Democratic Primary.

With McCain now basically assured of the Republican nomination, his real test is whether he can convince the religious right to support him (considering the alternatives) without totally alienating the moderates, undecideds, and non-partisan voters.

On the Democratic side, there are a lot of currently energized voters who might not be so enthused if "the other candidate" takes the nomination. I doubt seriously that the women cross-over voters (from GOP/nonpartisan) will stick around to support Obama at the expense of McCain, while the African-Americans proudly supporting Barak might not show up in November to send Hillary to the White House. If the two frontrunners get really nasty with each other as we head toward Denver in August, each risks alienating a necessary constituency if either wishes to change ownership of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Amazing--considering the ineptitude of Bush over the last 7+ years, the Democrats still aren't a lock to carry the general election.

I 'hate' Hillary......McCain is the only decent candidate the GOP has put up this year...even if he is 8 years too late......

I and many like me believe McCain is a better candidate than Hillary...but if she ends up our candidate.....I and others like me would hold our nose and vote for her...simply because Bush has scared the hell out of us voting for the GOP.....maverick or not the religious right will wear down McCain....then it will be 'here we go again.'

...it will be a Democrat President...even if we Dems will try to shoot ourselves in the foot as we always try to do...

And he addressed what he saw as Europe's problems as he called on the United States to approve a constitutional amendment that would ban gay marriages.

He said: "Europe is facing a demographic disaster. That's the inevitable product of weakened faith in the Creator, failed families, disrespect for the sanctity of human life, and eroded morality."

What a nut job, thank goodness he's dropped away. How someone who is a member of an officially racist 'religion' (business) and a confessed homophobe manages to get any support to run for President amazes me.

What a nut job, thank goodness he's dropped away. How someone who is a member of an officially racist 'religion' (business) and a confessed homophobe manages to get any support to run for President amazes me.

but as the gov of taxacusetts he was a libby. he's a politician from the get go. says what will get him elected. two faced as they come.

It's all in the power of the local pastor and the tv. Too few people know what it is to trust their own insticts and judge a person on merit.

What utter bollocks

Look at what the Clinton administration did, or tried to do, in office. Look at what she did and tried to do within it.

....the Clintons are not liberals....

...what disturbs me about Clinton is she is bought and paid for...I dont care what she paints herself to be....

...and her votes re the war tell us she is a 'politician' in the worst sense....

it is simply a delegate race.

without superdelegates Obama is ahead after Super-Tuesday.
so if Obama or Hillary end up with the magic number needed to get a simple majority, the super delegates wont matter.

the only case I see an overide of this is if the 'big wigs' in the party decide is if they decide the candidate cannot win an election....especially when it is so close in terms of delegates as it is now....

According to the CNN: http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/scorecard/#D

Hillary is marginally ahead in terms of pledged delegates... anyway, are you sure there are enough delegates left for either to get to the magic number without superdelegates?

What's wrong with Hillary?

She is probably who I would vote for if pushed. However, her Iraq strategy seems naive, short-sighted and sensationalist to me.

I have no real issue with her record on voting in the Senate on Iraq as, unlike most people, I don't mind politicians changing their minds. People tend to see this as a sign of weakness or indecision in a politician, but I prefer to view it as a willingness to re-evaluate opinions and decisions based on changing evidence.

....the Clintons are not liberals....

...what disturbs me about Clinton is she is bought and paid for...I dont care what she paints herself to be....

...and her votes re the war tell us she is a 'politician' in the worst sense....

Health Care Reform Plan
Family and Medical leave act
Gays in the armed forces
Brady Bill
Low Income Tax Credit
Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act

Not exactly Karl Marx, but all those bills and initiatives were aimed at improving working people's lives, ending discriminatory practices, or at least pissing off the NRA.

Foreign policy was less obviously liberal, especially the cynical cruise missile attack on Afghanistan which was pretty much entirley for purposes of domestic politics. Still, with hindsight it looks less controversial... and on the other hand, Clinton came in on Kosovo and pushed as hard for a Palestinian state as any US president has. Plus he visited Viet Nam and pushed for European integration. Hardly fecking Nixon was he?

I really don't like Hillary though. Does America really want another potentially 8 years of the Clintons? The idea of two families dominating the White House for up to 28 years doesn't fill me with joy.

Health Care Reform Plan
Family and Medical leave act
Gays in the armed forces
Brady Bill
Low Income Tax Credit
Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act

Not exactly Karl Marx, but all those bills and initiatives were aimed at improving working people's lives, ending discriminatory practices, or at least pissing off the NRA.

Foreign policy was less obviously liberal, especially the cynical cruise missile attack on Afghanistan which was pretty much entirley for purposes of domestic politics. Still, with hindsight it looks less controversial... and on the other hand, Clinton came in on Kosovo and pushed as hard for a Palestinian state as any US president has. Plus he visited Viet Nam and pushed for European integration. Hardly fecking Nixon was he?

Welfare reform

I really don't like Hillary though.

She's not exactly a cuddly personality, but on the other hand, too much importance is attached to likeability in politicians. She's highly intelligent, she's capable, she's reasonably experienced, and she has a history of at least giving something of a shit about flagrant inequality, whether of wealth or respect or access to medicine.

Anyway, apparently she can be pretty charming when it's required to build bridges or get her way, she's worked well with Republicans in the senate. Plus, she'll have Bill... everybody loves Bill, apart from all the people who'd love to kill him.

Does America really want another potentially 8 years of the Clintons? The idea of two families dominating the White House for up to 28 years doesn't fill me with joy.

I admit that's not ideal. But I'd rather see a good president there than not see a dynastic succession. And I'd rather see a Clinton dynastic succession than a Republican non-dynastic succession.

Welfare reform

True. But a lot of people on the left agreed that it had to be done, welfare was bloated and out of date, and reforming it hasn't increased poverty, even if you can't prove it's decreased it.

And I'm not claiming the Clinton administration was pure of heart or very left-wing... it was a centrist administration. In US politics these days, that means pretty radical.

I really don't like Hillary though. Does America really want another potentially 8 years of the Clintons? The idea of two families dominating the White House for up to 28 years doesn't fill me with joy.

You could blame it on those old grannies in Florida not ticking their ballot properly in 2000, you could blame the system where George Bush's dad appointed all the judges that decided against a state-wide recount, you could blame it on Jeb Bush manipulating the system.

But I don't think you can blame Hillary that it's not Clinton - Gore - Clinton...

She's not exactly a cuddly personality, but on the other hand, too much importance is attached to likeability in politicians. She's highly intelligent, she's capable, she's reasonably experienced, and she has a history of at least giving something of a shit about flagrant inequality, whether of wealth or respect or access to medicine.

Anyway, apparently she can be pretty charming when it's required to build bridges or get her way, she's worked well with Republicans in the senate. Plus, she'll have Bill... everybody loves Bill, apart from all the people who'd love to kill him.

Sorry for not being specific, but I have never really liked her very much. Admittedly she would have Bill, but that opens up the possibility of a co-Presidency, which could be exploited by the Republicans in November.

I admit that's not ideal. But I'd rather see a good president there than not see a dynastic succession. And I'd rather see a Clinton dynastic succession than a Republican non-dynastic succession.

I worry what will happen if Obama doesn't gain the nomination.A Hillary run for the Presidency may not have the same groundswell of hope/change that Obama has, and feel quite deflated in comparison. I also worry how she will do against McCain.

I was all ready to vote for Hillary with 'some' enthusiam 6 months ago....but seeing Obama bring so many young people into the political process is....something I think is going to end the partisionship......looking into the future a bit I mean....

...seems like a movement more than just political process.....

..OK I have been converted....

You could blame it on those old grannies in Florida not ticking their ballot properly in 2000, you could blame the system where George Bush's dad appointed all the judges that decided against a state-wide recount, you could blame it on Jeb Bush manipulating the system.

But I don't think you can blame Hillary that it's not Clinton - Gore - Clinton...

I'm not really blaming her. It's just the thought of two families dominating the White House for a generation is not really appealing. As such I think an Obama-McCain race would be refreshing. I of course am saying this with rose-tinted specs.

According to the CNN: http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/scorecard/#D

Hillary is marginally ahead in terms of pledged delegates... anyway, are you sure there are enough delegates left for either to get to the magic number without superdelegates?

there are 1780 more delegates to be contested excluding MI and FL( Michigan will caucus...as a substitute for the vote that did not have other candidates names...only Hillary was on the ballot....there is talk they may either caucus in Florida too or proportion the delegates according to the final tally after all other states have voted)

without superdelegates Hillary has 865 and Obama 878...so if either wins about 65% to 70% of the remaining delgates, either should hit 2025...

but if Florida and Michigan come into play a lower % is needed by either...

...looking at this again...I think they will need the Superdelegates votes...

...right...this looks a mess for the Dems....

there are 1780 more delegates to be contested excluding MI and FL( Michigan will caucus...as a substitute for the vote that did not have other candidates names...only Hillary was on the ballot....there is talk they may either caucus in Florida too or proportion the delegates according to the final tally after all other states have voted)

without superdelegates Hillary has 865 and Obama 878...so if either wins about 65% to 70% of the remaining delgates, either should hit 2025...

but if Florida and Michigan come into play a lower % is needed by either...

...looking at this again...I think they will need the Superdelegates votes...

...right...this looks a mess for the Dems....

It's going to be a big mess, Hillary has won MI & FL and if they somehow decide to hold caucuses (where somehow Obama seem to do much better in), and if that goes to Obama, you'd never hear the end of it - potentially a bigger mess than Florida 2000.

Remember that Bill Clinton's acheivments were all done with a Republican majority in the House. Imagine what Hillary could acheive now that the Dems are in control.

Remember that Bill Clinton's acheivments were all done with a Republican majority in the House. Imagine what Hillary could acheive now that the Dems are in control.

The Dems dont have enough control to get anything substantial done. Bill Clinton was forced to the center when the Newt Gingrich lead Republican revolution came to congress and since those days the clintons have reinvented themselves as moderate democrats when they were expected to be liberal dems on the order of Kusinic. Smart move on thier part.

FWIW

I voted for Edwards and Will now vote for Obama...

The Dems dont have enough control to get anything substantial done. Bill Clinton was forced to the center when the Newt Gingrich lead Republican revolution came to congress and since those days the clintons have reinvented themselves as moderate democrats when they were expected to be liberal dems on the order of Kusinic. Smart move on thier part.

FWIW

I voted for Edwards and Will now vote for Obama...

If you've already voted, how can you vote again? :confused:

Clean sweep for Obama on the day - Washington, Nebraska, Louisiana and Virgin Islands. His campaign is gathering more and more momentum while Hillary's is looking flat.

She is neither likable or trustworthy.

Having said all that, Hillary is still ahead...

Also, she's holding her lead in Texas, the really big one left, I wonder what the superdelegates are going to do... :confused:

Having said all that, Hillary is still ahead...

Also, she's holding her lead in Texas, the really big one left, I wonder what the superdelegates are going to do... :confused:

Hillary is ahead if you count the super delegates. Obama was marginally ahead based on pledged delegates after Super Tuesday. He's moved even farther ahead now.

She's holding the lead in Texas because of the large Latin American voter base. Them and women voters are her biggest strengths.

The superdelegates initially pledged their support to Hillary because she was the establishment figure and no one really gave Obama much of a chance. But if its neck and neck, they might start changing their allegiance too. Obama is getting a lot of democrats excited and voter turnout at most places has more than doubled. If the superdelegates and party figures have any sense, they'd realize that he is their best bet against McCain.

The organization he has setup at the grass roots level have been the reason why he does better at caucuses. If the campaign alone is anything to go by, he has been able to appeal to all demographics, out fought and out organized the Clinton political machinery without taking money from lobbyists whereas Hillary had already overspent her budget.

Fear of Obama rises to the surface as Hillary's campaign director steps down.

The campaign manager for the Democrat presidential nomination candidate Hillary Clinton has stood down.

Patti Solis Doyle announced her dddecision in an email to staff.

The Clinton campaign have moved fast to replace her, naming longtime aide Maggie Williams to the top job.

Solis Doyle told workers: "I have been proud to manage this campaign and prouder still to call Hillary my friend for more than 16 years."

And she endorsed her replacement, telling staff "Maggie is a remarkable person and I am confident that she will do a fabulous job".

The reshuffle comes a day after Democrat rival Barack Obama swept contests in Washington state, Nebraska, Louisiana and the US Virgin Islands.

Sky News correspondent Ian Woods said the move was an "acknowledgment things are not going well".

He said: "Clearly something is wrong with the Clinton campaign.

"Barack Obama has done better than anybody expected, which has resulted in a real kicking in the polls since Super Tuesday."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1304852,00.html