U.S. Presidential Race: Official Thread

Obama or McCain/Democrat or Republican..you decide

• McCain

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Obama

Votes: 173 92.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How he can compare Sudetenland to anything happening now is beyond me...

And the Chris Matthews interview was fantastic, what an idiot that radio talk show host is, people like him think that yelling and repeating some catch phrases makes it correct

How he can compare Sudetenland to anything happening now is beyond me...

And the Chris Matthews interview was fantastic, what an idiot that radio talk show host is, people like him think that yelling and repeating some catch phrases makes it correct

that has worked pretty good for the GOP over the years....but it may not work this year....interesting election year...all the 'rules' seem to have been thrown overboard...

What was Hillary thinking of with her comment about Bobbie Kennedy's assassination? I think I know what she meant but it certainly came out as though she thinks something terrible may happen to Obama so she's staying in.

My Lady Parts Do Not Ache for Hillary Clinton

My lady parts do not ache for Hillary Clinton.

As The First Viable Female Contender’s bid for the Democratic nomination sputters to its inevitable end, everyone and their mother/sister/daughter has something to say about the poisonous misogyny that’s apparently to blame.

Sunday and Monday brought three such post-mortems in The New York Times, one on the front page that ended by quoting a resident of Bizarro World, who laments, “[Obama] still looks more like every other president we’ve ever had than she does.”

Next comes Arianna “No Fear” Huffington, suffering from a strain of short-term memory loss that seems to be going around, to declare: “The greatest triumph of Clinton’s campaign—a complete triumph—is the example she has set for the next generation.”

Currently pregnant with the next generation, let me just say this: There is no greater wish that a mother can have for her daughter than that she will exploit poor people, obliterate Iran, and win rigged class president elections, Putin-style. (Mom, I won 100 percent of the vote!)

Huffington was actually responding to the Times piece, in which Jodi Kantor set up the ultimate false choice: For women, Hillary’s run represents either (A, and Arianna’s choice) “a historic if incomplete triumph” or (B) “a depressing reminder of why few [women] pursue high office in the first place.” Umm… C?

This War on Women is just like the War on Christmas: imaginary. Yes, yes, Hillary’s had to contend with the fashion police (BTW: Do you think Barack Obama looks more like a real American with or without a tie?) and the “likeable enough” smear (Is he black/white/patriotic/Christian/American enough?). And who but a female candidate would have to be tough and warm AT THE SAME TIME? Surely, not Obama, right? (Does he seem aloof to you? I’ve heard he hearts Hamas.) Adding insult to injury, Obama is NOT calling for Hillary to drop out. Men!

Now we learn of a new, primarily female group, Clinton Supporters Count Too, which promises to actively campaign against Obama in the general because, as their leader told the Times, “We, the most loyal constituency, are being told to sit down, shut up and get to the back of the bus.” Also: Black people? Suck it.

And Hillary’s lapping it up. Confirming in today’s Washington Post that the primary campaign has been sexist (but not racist), Clinton complains—states/notes/ declares—that there’s been a “disservice because we have broad coalitions of voters who have voted for me who make up the base of a winning campaign in November that I think want to see this end up with my being nominated." Translation: "This is unfair and sexist, because my voters clearly want to see me nominated. And if I'm not nominated, a disservice has been done to my voters." What makes it really unfair is that she’s losing by every measure and we still won’t let her win. Classic misogyny.

Here’s the thing: There is plenty of sexism—more than enough, thank you very much—in this country. Which is why it’s so sad to see Hillary’s supporters (and lately even her female detractors, and way too many column inches) elevate her to some kind of goddess warrior, symbolizing the decades-long fight for gender equality, absorbing the entirety of history’s catcall in one massive blow, and then standing tall again because that’s what women do. Powerful stuff, except that she’s a lying, race-baiting insult to our collective intelligence. Powerful, if she and her husband hadn’t sold out poor people in the ’90s or if she had stood tall like a woman against the war in Iraq or if she wasn’t right now trying to change the rules of the game and stir up the worst kind of identity politics. Powerful, if her most fervent supporters weren’t threatening to vote for John McCain out of spite, Supreme Court justices be damned.

That’s right, ladies: Teach this nation a lesson for once and for all. Do it for Hillary.

[Editor's note: Allison Benedikt, the Film Editor of The Village Voice, wears an Obama '08 pin on her lapel, and has volunteered for his campaign.]

--------------------------
class post

Hillary Clinton just isn't a good politician. I think she would have made an excellent president but she just isn't likeable enough - plenty intelligent but not likeable. When she smiles, it seems a condescending grin that reminds me of my women boss - in other words; b____

In some ways, I'm glad that she lost, in others not so glad as I think that if Obama wins, he may not get a lot done due to his inexperience. Clinton knows the game in Washington, I'm not sure Obama does yet. That's both a good and a bad thing but we will have to see how he handles it. He may not even go all the way if Clinton supporters are as bitter as they say they are.

Obama won't win against Mccain. At the last moment people will balk at voting for him. All this talk of change is just talk. At the end of the day most people will realise they don't actually want change, atleast they don't want to risk stability for change. Unlike other countries there are no regular terror threats in US. Mccain would seem the safe choice. They will know what they are getting. Obama is out there, he will get the hippy votes and independents will root for him all the way to the election but stop short at voting for him at the last moment.
Hillary would have won easily against Mccain.

Obama won't win against Mccain. At the last moment people will balk at voting for him. All this talk of change is just talk. At the end of the day most people will realise they don't actually want change, atleast they don't want to risk stability for change. Unlike other countries there are no regular terror threats in US. Mccain would seem the safe choice. They will know what they are getting. Obama is out there, he will get the hippy votes and independents will root for him all the way to the election but stop short at voting for him at the last moment.
Hillary would have won easily against Mccain.

you seem to be certain......interesting...

you are wrong of course....Americans are not bigots....though there are some minor elements that would not vote for a black man.

Obama's demographics are different from HRCs

Obama has solid black vote, the majority of young people votes and the educated white vote. Also he has very strong grassroots activists support....this is a Democratic year and McCain will struggle to get his base out...the Religious right is pissed with him...that is as certain a GOP block as the Black vote has been for the Dems...it will be even stronger this year....more than 9 to 1 voting for Obama...

also looking at the Electrol college...he needs two of PA,OH and FL...Florida will be a climb...but he will get the other two...OH's Strickland is a Democrat Governor.

Also Obama this year has a great chance of winning Virginia,Colorado and Iowa. Withe normal Blue States he will get the votes he needs.

it is a toss up atm...but Hillary will back him solid after the primaries end in a few weeks...she wants a future in the Democratic Party as does Cigar Bill...

just as a matter of interest the GOP has lost 3 solid seats in special elections so far...they are in very bad shape...

Keith needs to go back to doing sports. He's complete garbage otherwise. He and Patrick were probably the best combination in the US ever. Now both are non-existent.

Past comes back to haunt Obama, again.

By DON BABWIN

CHICAGO (AP) —
He's a white priest at a largely black church. He's held hands with Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan. He's been arrested dozens of times and battled anyone he thinks has wronged his parish — from gun dealers to a local Catholic sports league. Now the Rev. Michael Pfleger is something else: the latest thorn in the side of presidential candidate Barack Obama.

Racially charged comments Pfleger made last week mocking Obama rival Hillary Rodham Clinton — as a guest at Obama's church, no less — triggered a quick response from Obama, who wants nothing to do with a racial firestorm like the one generated by his former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

While Pfleger is not nearly as close to Obama as Wright had been, he has donated to the candidate's state Senate and presidential campaigns and sat on a Catholics for Obama committee until a few weeks ago. When Obama was in the Illinois Legislature, he helped land more than $200,000 in state grants for outreach programs run by Pfleger's church.

Obama made it clear he wasn't happy with the comments — in which Pfleger pretended he was Clinton crying over "a black man stealing my show" — and said he was "deeply disappointed in Father Pfleger's divisive, backward-looking rhetoric, which doesn't reflect the country I see or the desire of people across America to come together in common cause."

Pfleger, too, issued an apology, saying he was sorry if his comments offended Clinton or anyone else. He did not return several calls for comment on Friday.

Meanwhile, Cardinal Francis George of the Archdiocese of Chicago issued a press release Friday in which he criticized both Pfleger's involvement in a political campaign and a "personal attack" on Clinton. George said Pfleger has promised not to campaign or even mention any candidate by name.

Wright's comments reverberated in the Democratic primary for weeks and remain a part of the race. Obama broke with Wright, who had been his longtime pastor, after video of his sermons blaming U.S. policies for the Sept. 11 attacks and his calls of "God damn America" became fixtures on the Internet and cable news networks.

The relationship between Obama, a one-time community activist on Chicago's South Side, and the outspoken priest at the activist St. Sabina Church has been a long one.

As a state senator, Obama secured two grants related to Pfleger's church — one for $100,000 to repair The Ark community center at the church in 2000 and the other for $125,000 for computers at the church's employment resource center.

For his part, Pfleger, 59, has donated $1,500 to Obama's campaigns for state office and another $1,500 to his presidential campaign.

Aides say Obama has rarely visited St. Sabina, although he cited Pfleger, along with Wright, as one of his spiritual advisers in a 2004 Chicago Sun-Times story. Pfleger helped Obama's Iowa campaign by taking part in a faith forum.

Pfleger has invited criticism with his words and actions in the past, even before Sunday's fiery sermon at Trinity United Church of Christ.

He has hit the streets, sometimes with busloads of parishioners in tow, to protest Jerry Springer's television show, stores that sell drug paraphernalia and gun violence. He's been arrested for acts of civil disobedience, such as smearing red paint on alcohol and tobacco billboards. Last year, he and the Rev. Jesse Jackson were arrested during a protest of a suburban gun shop; charges were later dropped.

Pfleger's fight to make the community safe is an intensely personal one. He's adopted three children, one of whom was gunned down near the church in 1998.

Pfleger has urged parishioners to pay prostitutes and drug users so they could share their faith with them. He has offered his church as a place where controversial figures can express their views. Farrakhan spoke there, as did the Rev. Al Sharpton.

At times, there has been talk of diocesan officials reassigning Pfleger, but he is immensely popular in his parish and has helped it thrive over the past quarter-century as many other congregations have struggled.

In March, as Wright's inflammatory comments were making national headlines, St. Sabina gave Wright a hero's welcome after Pfleger invited him to give the benediction.

And in early May, Pfleger posted a letter on the parish Web site calling Obama and Wright "two friends who I respect, admire and have a deep love for." He wrote that neither man should be held accountable for the other's words.

"The truth is we need Senator Barack Obama and we need Reverend Jeremiah Wright and, if we are serious about wanting a new America, we cannot afford to throw either one of them under the bus!"

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hoD5UmGsKxR-pdYmCj3yYT19N_0wD91084OG3

It was seemingly all quiet on the home church front, though apparently these things are not meant to last.

I'm betting about right now Obama wishes he'd never caught site of that church. :lol:

Breaking News as of this evening, Obama has reportedly resigned from the Trinity church. One outburst come scandal too far.

Many will no doubt claim that such an act is not before time however.

He'll gain the separation he is looking for going forward in the wider campaign. Though assuming all goe as is prredicted and he is the Democratic nominee, the Republicans will surely try and label him with some Gordon Brown-esque dithering and slow if not poor judgement. Only time will tell how that plays with voters of course.

It seems a bit too late to "resign" from a church (whatever that means). It also seems like a political move and not one of personal choice.

..thats what McCain supporters will say...but hey they were never going to vote for him anyway...

Strange, I think it and I'm not a supporter of any of these shit candidates. And isn't this much more about who will get the votes between HRC and BHO? Seems to me it is. The latest pastor was blasting Clinton, not McCain.

so which 'shit' candidate do you support?

dont agree with your analysis re voters between HRC and BHO btw...

I don't support any at the moment. It' going to be a tough year for me. I ahve things I like about BHO and things I like about McCain. Don't like HRC what so ever.

As far as the Dems they have big problems still. After yesterdays DNC meeting the Clinton supporters were chanting something along the lines of "Vote for McCain". They are still pissed about FL and MI, even though their candidate voted not count the votes if they movd the primaries. Strange that. :rolleyes:

I don't support any at the moment. It' going to be a tough year for me. I ahve things I like about BHO and things I like about McCain. Don't like HRC what so ever.

As far as the Dems they have big problems still. After yesterdays DNC meeting the Clinton supporters were chanting something along the lines of "Vote for McCain". They are still pissed about FL and MI, even though their candidate voted not count the votes if they movd the primaries. Strange that. :rolleyes:

i watched quite a bit of that and i didnt hear what you heard. They were chanting denver as in that they want HRC to take it to the convention. There will be no true unity in the party until she conceeds what is now become a mathematical certainty.

Obama is the nominee and as bad as some of her supporters feel they are only hurting the party and giving creadence to a mccain presidency with this continued lunacy.

I am not an original obama supporter but i have gravitated to his positions the longer this has gone on and the more sinister HRC has become. After tuesday she needs to come out and conceed.

END OF!

I thought I read that on one of the major news sites but I can't find it so I'm probably wrong about the McCain chants. I still don't understand the reasoning of why HRC should quit. It sort of goes against everything we say is "American". She's close in the counts. We wouldn't ask anyone else to just quit when you are behind. If she was getting blown out I could see it but she's not. The big problem is that the party can't gang up on Repubs right now so they're getting pissed. Not to mention everytime BHO turns around something else is coming out to make him look a bit worse.

The Democrats have completed fecked this up, it's amazing.

Hillary would have easily won in November but they allow this Obama thing to get so much out of hand that now there is almost no doubt they're stuck with him as their candidate.

Hillary & Bill will no doubt "back" him in public and do their absolute best to destroy his campaign so Hillary gets another go in 4 years time...

The Democrats have completed fecked this up, it's amazing.

Hillary would have easily won in November but they allow this Obama thing to get so much out of hand that now there is almost no doubt they're stuck with him as their candidate.

Hillary & Bill will no doubt "back" him in public and do their absolute best to destroy his campaign so Hillary gets another go in 4 years time...

The FL and MI issue were poorly handled...but a lot of that was also the fault of the state democratic parties....in the end if the states don't follow the rules...there will be chaos...

the reason HRC is not the nominee is because she ran the worst campaign ever...heck Penn did not even know that states awarded proportional representation....what an idiot....while Obama correctly stressed on caucus states as much as the big states....

...and you are totally wrong that only HRC can win in november...that is the rubbish Clinton mantra....either of them will win......

as to her strategy...she will do her best to help him win....if Bill and Hillary try to destroy Obama's chance she will never get to run in 2012....the party does not belong to the Clintons anymore...that has been clear for some time....if it had been the Clintons party she would have got all those California Supers when she won....that was the signal....

people are absolutely mad with the GOP...that is why Hillary is desperate to be the nominee....a Dem win is almost certain......

as to her supporters....and the party unifying....that will absolutely happen....before month end the two of them will be doing joint tours....
in the end most of her supporters will back Obama...can you imagine women backing a guy who wants to overturn Roe V Wade?

I agree with cal. This election would go down as the one where Democrats literally threw it away.

you seem to be certain......interesting...

you are wrong of course....Americans are not bigots....though there are some minor elements that would not vote for a black man.

Obama's demographics are different from HRCs

Obama has solid black vote, the majority of young people votes and the educated white vote. Also he has very strong grassroots activists support....this is a Democratic year and McCain will struggle to get his base out...the Religious right is pissed with him...that is as certain a GOP block as the Black vote has been for the Dems...it will be even stronger this year....more than 9 to 1 voting for Obama...

also looking at the Electrol college...he needs two of PA,OH and FL...Florida will be a climb...but he will get the other two...OH's Strickland is a Democrat Governor.

Also Obama this year has a great chance of winning Virginia,Colorado and Iowa. Withe normal Blue States he will get the votes he needs.

it is a toss up atm...but Hillary will back him solid after the primaries end in a few weeks...she wants a future in the Democratic Party as does Cigar Bill...

just as a matter of interest the GOP has lost 3 solid seats in special elections so far...they are in very bad shape...
I did not mention anything about the race though that will play some part as well.

It is all about the numbers in the end. I stick with my prediction that a lot of people who right now are rooting for Obama would balk at voting for him in the end. With Hillary, that would not have happened. She brings the perception of being as experienced and heavy handed as Mccain. Also with Obama standing, there is no chance of hardcore right wings staying home or crossing over. They will do everything to keep Obama out. While with Hillary, they were actually talking about voting for her instead of Mccain.

I won't say I am completely certain but I would bet a good amount on a Mccain win over Obama.

I did not mention anything about the race though that will play some part as well.

It is all about the numbers in the end. I stick with my prediction that a lot of people who right now are rooting for Obama would balk at voting for him in the end. With Hillary, that would not have happened. She brings the perception of being as experienced and heavy handed as Mccain. Also with Obama standing, there is no chance of hardcore right wings staying home or crossing over. They will do everything to keep Obama out. While with Hillary, they were actually talking about voting for her instead of Mccain.

I won't say I am completely certain but I would bet a good amount on a Mccain win over Obama.

Hillary would have been the polarising candidate....McCain is very disliked by core Republicans...but they would have gone to the polls to keep out another Clinton. Obama will have his work cut out in Hard Core Southern states no doubt...but he will have many crossover voters in moderate midwest states...
in the end it will be about the economy....imo either would have won...

I stand by my prediction. Time for Change.

Breaking on Sky:

AP: Obama clinches democratic nomination.

AP: Clinton tells colleagues she is open to being Obama's vice president candidate.

About friggin' time. He'd make a good president imo, particularly on foreign policy.

AP: Clinton tells colleagues she is open to being Obama's vice president candidate.

Lip service. She knows it'll never happen; she's just being magnanimous to try and boost her image for another run as the candidate next time around. Clinton is such a manufactured product I don't think she'd do or say anything that isn't mostly self-serving. I'd much rather see Edwards as Obama's running mate.

The FL and MI issue were poorly handled...but a lot of that was also the fault of the state democratic parties....in the end if the states don't follow the rules...there will be chaos...

the reason HRC is not the nominee is because she ran the worst campaign ever...heck Penn did not even know that states awarded proportional representation....what an idiot....while Obama correctly stressed on caucus states as much as the big states....

...and you are totally wrong that only HRC can win in november...that is the rubbish Clinton mantra....either of them will win......

as to her strategy...she will do her best to help him win....if Bill and Hillary try to destroy Obama's chance she will never get to run in 2012....the party does not belong to the Clintons anymore...that has been clear for some time....if it had been the Clintons party she would have got all those California Supers when she won....that was the signal....

people are absolutely mad with the GOP...that is why Hillary is desperate to be the nominee....a Dem win is almost certain......

as to her supporters....and the party unifying....that will absolutely happen....before month end the two of them will be doing joint tours....
in the end most of her supporters will back Obama...can you imagine women backing a guy who wants to overturn Roe V Wade?

Fair point, if Hillary had a caucus stratergy, she'd have won the nomination on Super Tuesday...

Anyway, I honestly don't see what's in it for Hillary to help him win, she'd be writing her own politicla obituary if she did that.