U.S. Presidential Race: Official Thread

Obama or McCain/Democrat or Republican..you decide

• McCain

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Obama

Votes: 173 92.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Clintons are just slimy, greasy politicians, in my view.

Obama will definitely change things, whether for better or worse, I don't know. But if I could vote, I'd be voting for that risk of change.

BTW, I hate it when someone votes for Hillary just to be a good feminist. I thought feminism was about the equality of the sexes, and not women are better at everything, men suck, let's choose women for everything regardless of whether they are actually trustworthy or not. Girl power! Go Hillary!

Indeed, people basing their voting on sex is wrong, they should base it on personality instead like you do :p

My wife is again excited about the election, now that H. Rodham-Clinton has picked up a little bit of ground in Pennsylvania. In the absence of money, however, those gains might be short-lived. I suspect the primary in North Carolina will depress her once again. Still, she is going to vote for whoever wins the Democratic nomination, as I and our oldest son will be voting against the same.

My wife is again excited about the election, now that H. Rodham-Clinton has picked up a little bit of ground in Pennsylvania. In the absence of money, however, those gains might be short-lived. I suspect the primary in North Carolina will depress her once again. Still, she is going to vote for whoever wins the Democratic nomination, as I and our oldest son will be voting against the same.

You and your wife should just stay at home since you cancel each other out. Let the son vote

she will be voting for Obama in November...no worries...pity you and your son will be overiding her vote ;)

Indeed, people basing their voting on sex is wrong, they should base it on personality instead like you do :p

Nah, I realize people vote for candidates based on a million reasons, many of which are illogical.

But the thing I hate is when you say you'll vote for Hillary just to be a feminist. Just because I can hate feminism sometimes if it goes over and beyond equality. Its like female chauvinism.

There are also state, county, city, and local issues on the ballot--so I have an obligation to save the rest of the voters from their bad judgment.

Just tell your wife that you're not voting and get her not to.

Then nip down to the polls and cheat on her with an 800 year old man.

Nah, I realize people vote for candidates based on a million reasons, many of which are illogical.

But the thing I hate is when you say you'll vote for Hillary just to be a feminist. Just because I can hate feminism sometimes if it goes over and beyond equality. Its like female chauvinism.

There's never been a female president. It's a wrong that needs righting. The president doesn't govern the country alone - he or, theoretically, she is the head of an administration. So if there's a candidate who's capable and highly intelligent, like Hillary, and you generally trust the other members of the administration, it's not unreasonable to vote for the candidate because she's a woman.

Fresno, stop voting Republican. After the last two terms, how can you even think about it?

There's never been a female president. It's a wrong that needs righting. The president doesn't govern the country alone - he or, theoretically, she is the head of an administration. So if there's a candidate who's capable and highly intelligent, like Hillary, and you generally trust the other members of the administration, it's not unreasonable to vote for the candidate because she's a woman.

Fresno, stop voting Republican. After the last two terms, how can you even think about it?

Gender has nothing to do with the election, or at least my vote in it. I've voted for females for Governor, the US Senate, state offices, district attorney, judge, sheriff, and a host of lesser offices. I also rarely, if ever, vote a straight party ticket and often disagree with the official party line on the numerous other issues that surface on the California (and previously, Alaska) ballot.
I have my own opinions about whether my fellow attorney Hillary Rodham Clinton is "capable" or "highly intelligent" but, most importantly, whether I want her in the position she currently seeks. The mere fact that there has never been a female president doesn't mean she should be the first.
There has never been a male African American president either, and that voting block received the vote before women in this country. Failure to make Jessie Jackson the first (when he ran back in 1988) doesn't mean many of us wouldn't vote for a qualified candidate. In fact, among (white--I wax redundant) Republican males back in 2000, General Colin Powell was more popular than Dubya.

The Clintons are just slimy, greasy politicians, in my view.

Obama will definitely change things, whether for better or worse, I don't know. But if I could vote, I'd be voting for that risk of change.

BTW, I hate it when someone votes for Hillary just to be a good feminist. I thought feminism was about the equality of the sexes, and not women are better at everything, men suck, let's choose women for everything regardless of whether they are actually trustworthy or not. Girl power! Go Hillary!

and all of the African Americans voting for Obama are based entirely of his policies and not his skin color? :rolleyes:

she will be voting for Obama in November...no worries...pity you and your son will be overiding her vote ;)

We'll see about that... Obama just doesn't seem able to close the deal.

He spent records sums in the last few weeks yet came a distant 2nd, if ever anyone is going to choke, it looks like being him.

and all of the African Americans voting for Obama are based entirely of his policies and not his skin color? :rolleyes:

Read my reply to a similar question.

I still don't think she's the best choice. But what I definitely dislike are militant feminists who go above and beyond just "equality". Not that equality is possible anyways, since there still physical differences between men and women. In sport, for instance.

I would bet there are plenty more women in the USA than there are Black voters.

But to your point, the educated Black voters that understand the candidates and the history of Hillary's fiscal conservativism (more like: tendencies to take money from a corporate lobbyist and couldn't give a feck about the voter) would not care about his skin color.

he wont have the choice to vote for a woman...Hillary is done. She is too corrupt and devisive.

But if Hillary has the popular vote to her name [which is not beyond the realms of possibility yes?] does tha not leave the super delegates in a bit of an awkward position?

Pledge delegates vs the people.

Oh and by the way, is it nailed on that Rice will be McCain's pick for the VP ticket?

But if Hillary has the popular vote to her name [which is not beyond the realms of possibility yes?] does tha not leave the super delegates in a bit of an awkward position?

Pledge delegates vs the people.

Oh and by the way, is it nailed on that Rice will be McCain's pick for the VP ticket?

Not really. The primary system is probably unique to the US, as well as somewhat bastardized by having so many states employing different methods of conducting the operation. The alleged purpose is to permit each party to decide which candidate to put forward in the general election, yet in some states there is no true "popular vote," while in some others, people not affiliated with the party are allowed to vote in the primary (often with the intent of supporting the least electible of the choices in an effort to assist the opposing party). Couple this with such set-ups as Texas where a portion of the delegates were chosen at local caucases while others were selected in the state-wide "popular vote," and you need to decide whether any given candidate spent more time and effort going after the voters, or the votes that count in the convention.
This b.s. about "the popular vote" is another rhetorical device that, in truth, should mean little or nothing. The numbers aren't really relevent when all the other factors are thrown in.

A quote from the election process some years ago: "Who cares which candidate got 25% of the 6% of the voters who bothered to show up in a state that the party won't carry in the general election anyway?"

Not really. The primary system is probably unique to the US, as well as somewhat bastardized by having so many states employing different methods of conducting the operation. The alleged purpose is to permit each party to decide which candidate to put forward in the general election, yet in some states there is no true "popular vote," while in some others, people not affiliated with the party are allowed to vote in the primary (often with the intent of supporting the least electible of the choices in an effort to assist the opposing party). Couple this with such set-ups as Texas where a portion of the delegates were chosen at local caucases while others were selected in the state-wide "popular vote," and you need to decide whether any given candidate spent more time and effort going after the voters, or the votes that count in the convention.
This b.s. about "the popular vote" is another rhetorical device that, in truth, should mean little or nothing. The numbers aren't really relevent when all the other factors are thrown in.

A quote from the election process some years ago: "Who cares which candidate got 25% of the 6% of the voters who bothered to show up in a state that the party won't carry in the general election anyway?"

If you were so sure about the superdelegate will follow pledge delegate thing, how come everybody involved in the election aren't so fecking sure like you are? How come those superdelegate won't just come out and declare their vote and get Hillary to quit?

As for you final statement, that's probably Hillary's biggest argument, Obama wins all these pledged delegates in all those caucus state which will go to McCain come November. Hillary has been winning all the swing states and big states... :rolleyes:

But the poll I just saw shows she's not winning the popular vote or the super delegates. Neither candidate is going anywhere.

It sounds like there needs to be a serious overhall of the system. Surely if a party has candidates it is official members of that party who should decide in one way or another who is their candidate. if you want a vote then join the party if not express you like/disloke at election time. Fat less messy and inexpensive.

It's amazing how the corporate fascists keep filling the positions of staffers that jump ship from the unethical campaign of Hillary.

This past week another top level fundraiser told the Hillary campaign that he is leaving because of the racist tactics used to catch up with Barak Obama.

I would bet there are other reasons having to do with corruption... but it's not the stuff making the news.

For example, Hillary gave one of her speeches from a military contractor fundraiser... CNN didn't speak a word of it, but the washington post slipped with a mention. She keeps saying she is not for war, yet she keeps taking money from the war contractors ~ and distracting everyone with her rants about crazy Preachers that, in the most vagueness of terms, knows Obama.

It's racist and classist...

Oh, and God please someone get google to remove Newt G. from the advert below.

---------------------------------------------------------

1 May, 08

Former DNC Chair Switches Endorsement To Obama

(RTTNews) - In a major defection Thursday, Hillary Clinton lost a superdelegate and Barack Obama added to his count as former Democratic National Committee Chairman Joe Andrew switched his support.

"No amount of spin or sleight of hand can deny the fact that where there has been competition, Senator Obama has won more votes, more states and more delegates than any other candidate," Andrew wrote in a letter to superdelegates. "Only the superdelegates can award the nomination to Senator Clinton, but to do so risks doing to our party in 2008 what Republicans did to our country in 2000."

The endorsement provides a much-needed boost to Obama as he comes off a loss in Pennsylvania and a resurgence of the Reverend Wright problem.

"If we win Indiana, we've got this nomination," the Illinois Senator proclaimed last night in Indianapolis.

The next set of major primaries will be on May 6 in North Carolina and Indiana. Obama is heavily favored to win North Carolina, but it is a tight race in Indiana.

Andrew, who was appointed DNC chairman by former President Bill Clinton, also commented on the length and contentious nature of the Democratic primary, which he said is bad for the Democratic Party.

"I am convinced that the primary process has devolved to the point that it's now bad for the Democratic Party," Andrew told the AP.

Clinton still leads Obama in superdelegate support, 269 to 245. However, according to the Associated Press, Obama is ahead in pledged delegates 1,488 to 1,334.
http://www.nasdaq.com/aspxcontent/N...ormer DNC Chair Switches Endorsement To Obama
-------------------------------------------------------------

CNN is getting their panties all in a twist with Wolf Blitzer leaning into the Gov. of N. Carolina repeatedly saying, 'ARE YOU GOING TO DELIVER N. CAROLINA TO HILLARY?!'

The N. Carolina Gov. looked at the interviewer like he was maddman.:eek:

The momentum of the Barak Obama campaign is huge. The media appears to becoming unhinged at the possibility that Obama might defy the tidal waves of propaganda that they spew day and night.

So Hillary would wipe out iran. Nice.

I believe the odds-makers might put like this...

Odds are that this person will either initiate or support a massive attack on Iran;

McCain 95%

Hillary 85%

Obama 35%

Depending on how Ahmedinajad plays his cards. The American Neo-Cons are saying that Obama is too soft for the times. But the American public is clearly stating that the Neo-Cons have gotten us into enough shit with their trigger-happy bullshit.

Hey - Raoul, ^ sound about right?!

Obama wins North Carolina

Hillary Clinton failed to close the gap on Barack Obama in their marathon race for the Democratic nomination early today in the last two big primaries, Indiana and North Carolina.

Clinton needed to win big in both states to stand a chance of reining him in.

CNN and other television stations, based on exit polls, made Obama the clear winner in North Carolina. Exit polls were too close to call in Indiana, though the Clinton team expressed confidence that she would take it.

With only six primaries left, Obama remains the favourite to win the Democratic nomination and face the Republican John McCain in November's general election.

With 23% of the vote counted in Indiana, Clinton had 145,596 of the votes and Obama 110,265.

The two primaries came after Obama had been on the back-foot for the last two months. Opinion polls in North Carolina had suggested that Obama's 25 point lead had withered to the single digits. He had also appeared to be losing ground in Indiana.

Last week was his worst since he launched his campaign for the presidency in February last year.

He was tested by an incendiary public appearance last week by his former pastor, the Reverend Jeremiah Wright, which pushed race up the agenda.

Exit polls showed that about 48% of Democratic voters in Indiana and 48% in North Carolina said Wright's comments, portrayed in the US media as unpatriotic, were "very" or "somewhat" important to their vote. White voters tended to say it was important while African-Americans tended to say it was not.

The racial divide was especially prominent in North Carolina where Obama took 91% of the African-American vote and Clinton only 6%.

The primary attracted a record turn-out in North Carolina and a large turn-out in Indiana. But the end result was that Obama once again secured a net increase in his share of the delegates, who will choose the nominee,to add to his already commanding lead.

At the start of the night, Obama had 1,745 delegates to Clinton's 1,608. A total of 2,025 delegates is needed to clinch the nomination. The proportional representation system means they will divide almost evenly the 72 delegates at stake in Indiana. He is expected to take more than half of the 115 delegates at stake in North Carolina.

Only six more primaries remain, ending with Montana and South Dakota on June 3, but these have a relatively small number of delegates
Clinton was holding her election night party in Indianapolis, reflecting the expectation of her team that she would win the state.

Obama, who was expecting a loss in Indiana, opted to hold his election night party in Raleigh, North Carolina.

From today, Clinton and Obama shift their attentions to winning over about 270 undecided Democratic superdelegates - Congress members and others with an automatic vote.

The populist strategy deployed by Clinton in Indiana and North Carolina will be crucial to her efforts to woo those superdelegates. Her campaign argues that Clinton's success in winning over working class voters in Ohio, Pennsylvania and now Indiana makes her a stronger candidate than Obama against McCain even though he has won the majority of Democratic contests.

In Indiana, the strategy saw Clinton ditching her previous persona of wordly First Lady and policy wonk to re-invent herself as a tough, beer-loving heroine of the working classes.

The populist appeal was the most determined effort to date by Clinton to solidify her support among working class white men, following her victories over Obama in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

It saw Clinton's biggest supporter in Indiana, the Democratic Senator, Evan Bayh, hailing her "testicular fortitude". Clinton also pushed hard for a summer respite on a federal petrol tax - even when economists dismissed her plan as impractical.

Clinton merely turned around and labelled the economists as elitists.
As voters went to the polls yesterday, Clinton went to the famed Indiana Speedway track. The gambit apparently worked - even among voters who acknowledged the gas tax holiday would not help household budgets

"Anyone with any sense knows it's a gimmick, but at least she wants to do something right now," said one man voting in the Indianapolis suburbs.

For Clinton, persuading the undecided Democratic party leaders to disregard Obama's lead in delegates remains her only chance of securing the Democratic nomination.

The six remaining primary contests - in West Virginia, Oregon, Kentucky, Puerto Rico, South Dakota and Montana - between them account for only 217 delegates.

That leaves the superdelegates, elected and senior party officials who are free to support either candidate, as the king (or queen) makers in the Democratic race.

Clinton supporters are also stepping up their demand for the Democratic National Committee to include the results of the unapproved primary contests in Florida and Michigan - which would benefit her campaign.

The DNC rules committee is to meet on May 31 to consider what to do about the Michigan and Florida delegatesion.

However, Howard Dean, the DNC chairman, said yesterday the committee would not act to overturn the overall results which put Obama well on his way to securing the Democratic nomination.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/07/uselections2008.barackobama

Even though she's winning the popular vote the last count of delegates (in Indiana) gave Obama a slight edge. This should now be the end of HRC. She probably won't get that but it's over.

I very much doubt that it is all over just yet.

It IS over. Its a matter of uniting the party and winning the election.
No one other than the GOP has anything to gain by prolonging this.
Even with MI and FL she has no way to the nomination.

If you doubt it...just look at Bill Clinton's face yesterday when Hillary is giving her speech...that said it all.

If you doubt it...just look at Bill Clinton's face yesterday when Hillary is giving her speech...that said it all.

MI & FL... :rolleyes:

While Obama seems to have the upper hand it isn't a done deal just yet I'd say. No doubt massive lobbying of the super delegates is going on now and only if the numbers are massively against her will she pull out. Obviously Obama is favorite now but it wouldn't surprise me if it went to the wire.

It wouldn't surprise me if she conceded either though.

He'll be a non factor......and I'm a Libertarian. If the Dems can't win this election they should just disband the party. These things always go in cycles and we've had 8 years or Repubs (not to mention Bush is hitting all time lows in approval polls).

While Obama seems to have the upper hand it isn't a done deal just yet I'd say. No doubt massive lobbying of the super delegates is going on now and only if the numbers are massively against her will she pull out. Obviously Obama is favorite now but it wouldn't surprise me if it went to the wire.

It wouldn't surprise me if she conceded either though.

dont believe the media spin that this is still close...actually even the media has accepted that this is over.....

the one thing to remember is that the Democratic party will never overturn the will of the majority who voted...and that means pledged delegates....
HRC is merely making the case now to be the VP...which wont happen....but she will be very important in whether Obama wins this November...the party will come together...

my guess for the VP will be either Sebelius or Hagel the Republican...

Clinton is an annoying delusional person who should stop before doing any damage.

John Edwards has endorsed Obama, another nail in her coffin.

dont believe the media spin that this is still close...actually even the media has accepted that this is over.....

the one thing to remember is that the Democratic party will never overturn the will of the majority who voted...and that means pledged delegates....
HRC is merely making the case now to be the VP...which wont happen....but she will be very important in whether Obama wins this November...the party will come together...

my guess for the VP will be either Sebelius or Hagel the Republican...

I agree that the safe money would be on Obama but it aint over until the fat lady sings. I have no real preference but I'm amazed that they are tending towards such a novice.

I agree that the safe money would be on Obama but it aint over until the fat lady sings. I have no real preference but I'm amazed that they are tending towards such a novice.

Obama represents "Change"...people just don't trust Washington for the right reasons...look what the old politics has brought us...war,recession and loss of respect of the country overseas....

the significant event last night was the loss of a iron clad safe GOP seat in Mississippi to the Democrats...as Tim Russet said...the earth moved.

with all the Obama Hillary dust up....the GOP are in for a walloping this November...and they can thank Bush for it.

I wouldn't get too carried away with Obamas "change" message. Its the song of every presidential candidate. It's easy to sell change to Americans because we pretty much all have distain for politics and politicians. Problem is, even if he gets elected (which I think he will) it WILL be business as usual once he realizes the county is controlled much more by the houses than by the pres.

Just heard a report on "sweetiegate", whether he receives credit for being humble and calling her in person, he still fobbed her off rather blatantly.

Any mileage or longer term damage in it for him do you think?

Also just heard that McCain if he won, wants to introduce an American version of PMQs where he would go before both houses and take questions on the events of the day and such.