U.S. Presidential Race: Official Thread

Obama or McCain/Democrat or Republican..you decide

• McCain

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Obama

Votes: 173 92.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ok so here's a slight correction now that I've found the article I read earlier.

The actual increase in black people that turned out to vote is an extremely small 2% (from 11% to 13%).

The statistics that I find alarming are the difference in choice between black and white voters.

White votes: 55% mcCain, 43% Obama

Black votes: 4% mcCain, 95% Obama

That can't be down to pure opinion and there must be a massive racial factor in why so many black people voted for Obama.

Edit: Forgot to post the source http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...als-black-voters-swept-Obama-White-House.html

Two people have answered your question on the same page you asked it, but just to be clear.. why do you think they should have voted otherwise?

Two people have answered your question on the same page you asked it, but just to be clear.. why do you think they should have voted otherwise?

I think the percentage of black people that voted for Obama is too high to be based purely upon policies. The sheer number of black people that voted for him shows that they voted for him based on the colour of his skin.

I think the percentage of black people that voted for Obama is too high to be based purely upon policies. The sheer number of black people that voted for him shows that they voted for him based on the colour of his skin.
As Twisted Woody and others have pointed out 88% of the black vote went to Kerry and 90% to Gore in the last two elections so it's more likely a demographic issue influencing their voting for Democrats than one of race. I'm sure the fact that the candidate seems more familiar to them plays a minor role in the same way you or I might favour a United fan over a City or Liverpool fan if all other things were equal but to equate it to a racist bloc-vote is oversimplifying the situation.

As Twisted Woody and others have pointed out 88% of the black vote went to Kerry and 90% to Gore in the last two elections so it's more likely a demographic issue influencing their voting for Democrats than one of race. I'm sure the fact that the candidate seems more familiar to them plays a minor role in the same way you or I might favour a United fan over a City or Liverpool fan if all other things were equal but to equate it to a racist bloc-vote is oversimplifying the situation.

That's fair. I don't pretend to know the history of previous elections because to be honest it has little bearing on the rest of the world. It matters not who is voted into power, the puppet masters are there regardless of who wins.

I still find it staggering that such a large percentage of black voters regularly stick to the same party. Being British I don't understand the politics of this but if it's happened for the last three elections (12 years) then something is seriously wrong and black communities are obviously feeling hard done by.

That's fair. I don't pretend to know the history of previous elections because to be honest it has little bearing on the rest of the world. It matters not who is voted into power, the puppet masters are there regardless of who wins.

I still find it staggering that such a large percentage of black voters regularly stick to the same party. Being British I don't understand the politics of this but if it's happened for the last three elections (12 years) then something is seriously wrong and black communities are obviously feeling hard done by.
Under GW the Republicans have managed to make 95% of the rest of the world feel hard done by, why should African Americans feel any different? ;)

His voting record suggests differently, which isn't a campaign soundbite......McCain does have a long term track record of pissing off his party by reaching across the aisle, and Obama does not have a track record of doing much aside from party-line votes in the Senate.
The last four years have not been a particularly fertile time for Democrats wanting to bolster their "Maverick" credentials by reaching across the aisle to side with Republicans. As many people in this country showed with their vote last night, the Republicans have unfortunately gotten nearly all the big decisions wrong of late. The Bush tax cuts disproportionately favoring the more affluent. 28 years of preaching de-regulation. Declaring victory far too early in Afghanistan. Invading Iraq, and prematurely declaring victory there. Not to mention pissing off the rest of the entire world by acting like smug, arrogant pricks about those conflicts, despite the piss poor job the Republican administration did in conducting both of them.

If Obama had sided more with the Republican party leadership during the last four years, he would very likely not have been elected. I doubt he would even have made a decent showing in the primaries, if he had even decided this was a good year to enter the race. And the unbelievable fervor of his supporters during this campaign, the fervor that led to unprecedented levels of commitments from private citizens, who contributed 90% of the mountains of cash he raised, and who registered a record crop of new voters, and who showed up to vote in numbers and with an eagerness not seen in my lifetime or that of anyone else in this forum...none of it would have been possible had he spent the last few years thinking about which Republican policies he really should have been getting behind, trying to set a good example for some theoretical national reconciliation between the parties.

I don't think Obama will regret any stance he has taken on a major issue in the four years since he first went to Washington. And I'm not just talking about appealing to the electorate, I'm talking about whether or not he quite simply got it wrong, and the Republicans got it right. So if Senator Obama had spent the last few years gettin' all Mavericky like a certain failed Vice-Presidential candidate...well personally that wouldn't have impressed me one bit. And I don't think it would have impressed 63 million other voters last night either. Including the hundreds of thousands of moderate Republicans who, like yourself Jason, are pleased to see the back of George W. Bush. Here's hoping we can both be a little prouder of the executive branch of our government over the next 4 (to 8) years.

I read today that 95% of the black population voted for Obama. If that isn't voting based on skin colour then I don't know what is.
Can you blame them? After Hurricane Katrina, the black community was more certain than ever that a large portion of America, best represented in the Republican party, doesn't give a shit about them. Knowing this, and in an effort not to seem quite so out of touch, McCain famously claimed during the campaign that if he had been in charge during Katrina, he would have been there the day after it hit, on the ground in Louisiana, helping to direct FEMA's efforts. You know, instead of off in another state, celebrating his birthday, the way President Bush did. Unfortunately that appeal to black voters fell fell flat - want to guess where McCain was the day after Katrina?

mccain-bush-cake.jpg

Oops.

You act like Obama was handing out relief packets in the Superdome

Can you blame them? After Hurricane Katrina, the black community was more certain than ever that a large portion of America, best represented in the Republican party, doesn't give a shit about them. Knowing this, and in an effort not to seem quite so out of touch, McCain famously claimed during the campaign that if he had been in charge during Katrina, he would have been there the day after it hit, on the ground in Louisiana, helping to direct FEMA's efforts. You know, instead of off in another state, celebrating his birthday, the way President Bush did. Unfortunately that appeal to black voters fell fell flat - want to guess where McCain was the day after Katrina?

mccain-bush-cake.jpg

Oops.

:lol:

Just out of curiosity, where was Obama on the day after Katrina?

:lol: Just out of curiosity, where was Obama on the day after Katrina?
No idea. But I doubt a single black voter cared.

You act like Obama was handing out relief packets in the Superdome
I've explained to you in very simplistic terms the perception of black voters, and summed up for you in even more simplistic terms (Ooh, pichers!) the unbelievably inept attempt by the Republican candidate for president to try to counteract that perception. Seriously, you couldn't make stuff like that up. Actually you could, but for the last eight years we haven't had to.

Hey, not bad. But don't forget the trip to the library to return his overdue copy of Das Kapital. Couldn't even get it back on time, the fiscally irresponsible prick.

Biggest post election day loss on the stock market ever, 12th biggest points loss on any day in history. Investors worried about Obama's potential policies so they say.

Onwards and upwards I suppose.

So true. The stock market has been so consistent lately, there can be no other reason.

More good news...

The Washington Post sold out at a record rate. Within 15 minutes of the papers hitting the stores, they were all bought up...

The Washington Post decided to release a second Special Election Edition for Wed. Nov. 5th.

And guess who was in the 2nd edition, as well? :cool:

How many refugees traveled to Illinois?

Marcie... if you had a clue, you'd know that refugees from the Katrina storm had gone to all states. My state and my commutity helped several families. My church continues to send groups to New Orleans to help with the rebuilding.

People opened their homes and invited perfect strangers to come and start their lives over... all over this country. I am sure Obama had played a part in that, for his community and/or State.

Marcie... if you had a clue, you'd know that refugees from the Katrina storm had gone to all states. My state and my commutity helped several families. My church continues to send groups to New Orleans to help with the rebuilding.

People opened their homes and invited perfect strangers to come and start their lives over... all over this country. I am sure Obama had played a part in that, for his community and/or State.

I'm sure they did go to many states but I don't recall hearing about the thousands that relocated to Illinois as I did about Texas and other surrounding southern states. So I must have a clue, ey Bob?

McCain was never going to live down the fact he is to be Bush's predecessor.

And as bad as it sounds, CLEARLY the black population of America were always going to vote for Obama.

I guess it damn well makes up for all the years the same right was deprived of them.

what's more interesting to me is how many conservative blacks voted for Obama. clearly, as has been stated here already Democratic leaning blacks, i.e. the vast majority of them, voted for Obama.
There was a conservative black guy on the radio yesterday talking about his dilema: vote for the repubs or vote against his political convictions and vote Obama. all he said was that he slept well that night. he wouldn't come out and say who he voted for.

black conservatives are such a tiny minority that it doesn't make any difference but I wondering if it's racism if they jumped the fence this time to vote Obama.

Highly entertaining article (as always) in the Daily Mash.

AMERICA BUYS ALL THAT CHANGE BULLSHIT
BARACK Obama swept to victory last night as millions of Americans lapped up all that bullshit about change.

The Illinois senator made history as the first black American to become President and the 44th man to win the office with a lot of vague platitudes and an army of creepy spin doctors.

He told a crowd of 250,000 supporters in his home city of Chicago: "Remember, change is something that happens in the middle of the night when we're all fast asleep and very often the next morning no-one can tell that anything has actually changed.

"I promised you change you can believe in, I did not promise you change you can actually see."

He added: "You believe in Jesus don't you? Right, but have you ever seen Jesus? Exactly. Just making sure we're all on the same page."

Mr Obama said he would bring about change by working closely with the vast and terrifying multi-national corporations that had funded his campaign and pledged to end the war in Iraq in order to create a much bigger war in Afghanistan.

"But instead of some middle-aged white guy doing it, it'll be me and I'm half-Kenyan. D'you see?"

Bill McKay, a college student from Denver, said: "I can't believe I now live in a country where an African American can be elected to the presidency after spending just $600 million on advertising."

He added: "Give me a hug!"

Meanwhile, in the UK, thousands of people talked about staying up all night to watch the drama unfold, but then didn't.

Martin Bishop, from Oxford, said: "I was going to follow the coverage and have the significance of every result explained to me by Lord Dimbleby but then, at the last minute, I decided to go to bed because I don't care."

Denys Hatton, from Guildford, added: "If your life is such that you're placing all your hopes in a politician, then may I humbly suggest you get yourself a crate of superlager and a cardboard box and stop wasting everyone's time."

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1377&Itemid=59

Highly entertaining article (as always) in the Daily Mash.

AMERICA BUYS ALL THAT CHANGE BULLSHIT
BARACK Obama swept to victory last night as millions of Americans lapped up all that bullshit about change.

The Illinois senator made history as the first black American to become President and the 44th man to win the office with a lot of vague platitudes and an army of creepy spin doctors.

He told a crowd of 250,000 supporters in his home city of Chicago: "Remember, change is something that happens in the middle of the night when we're all fast asleep and very often the next morning no-one can tell that anything has actually changed.

"I promised you change you can believe in, I did not promise you change you can actually see."

He added: "You believe in Jesus don't you? Right, but have you ever seen Jesus? Exactly. Just making sure we're all on the same page."

Mr Obama said he would bring about change by working closely with the vast and terrifying multi-national corporations that had funded his campaign and pledged to end the war in Iraq in order to create a much bigger war in Afghanistan.

"But instead of some middle-aged white guy doing it, it'll be me and I'm half-Kenyan. D'you see?"

Bill McKay, a college student from Denver, said: "I can't believe I now live in a country where an African American can be elected to the presidency after spending just $600 million on advertising."

He added: "Give me a hug!"

Meanwhile, in the UK, thousands of people talked about staying up all night to watch the drama unfold, but then didn't.

Martin Bishop, from Oxford, said: "I was going to follow the coverage and have the significance of every result explained to me by Lord Dimbleby but then, at the last minute, I decided to go to bed because I don't care."

Denys Hatton, from Guildford, added: "If your life is such that you're placing all your hopes in a politician, then may I humbly suggest you get yourself a crate of superlager and a cardboard box and stop wasting everyone's time."

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1377&Itemid=59

This only reflects the opinions of pathetic & miserable fools. I spent the day in Washington DC, as I drove through the streets, I could see the faces of stunned and relieved people. These are people that have endured the initiation of two wars and a crumbled economy and lie after lie after lie.

The chance that Pres.-Elect Obama would change things, for the better, is greater now than ever.

The only 'Bullshit' surrounding the Barack Obama victory is that of the world's Neo-Fascist elite. That simple!;)

And as bad as it sounds, CLEARLY the black population of America were always going to vote for Obama.

I guess it damn well makes up for all the years the same right was deprived of them.

or all of the years that they chose not to vote at all.

This only reflects the opinions of pathetic & miserable fools. I spent the day in Washington DC, as I drove through the streets, I could see the faces of stunned and relieved people. These are people that have endured the initiation of two wars and a crumbled economy and lie after lie after lie.

The chance that Pres.-Elect Obama would change things, for the better, is greater now than ever.

The only 'Bullshit' surrounding the Barack Obama victory is that of the world's Neo-Fascist elite. That simple!;)

Dont worry about it mate, I dont think the article is intended to be taken seriously.

what's more interesting to me is how many conservative blacks voted for Obama. clearly, as has been stated here already Democratic leaning blacks, i.e. the vast majority of them, voted for Obama.
There was a conservative black guy on the radio yesterday talking about his dilema: vote for the repubs or vote against his political convictions and vote Obama. all he said was that he slept well that night. he wouldn't come out and say who he voted for.

black conservatives are such a tiny minority that it doesn't make any difference but I wondering if it's racism if they jumped the fence this time to vote Obama.

I would suggest that it's a gnawwing conscience, more than racism...

So, the answer... yes it may be racism, but just like the term 'Fear', sometimes 'fear' is a good thing. (As much as I hate to use a GOP tool of manipulation, the example fits well.)

Do you not think? It didnt provoke that reaction in me at all - I just thought it was funny. Though I have long had concerns about the lack of detail or substance in what Obama said, in the sense that I would love to know more about what his plans are. If I was American I would certainly have voted for him despite his intentional vagueness. But I think it is fair game for some satirical piss taking.

they certainly came out to vote this time. mind you if they didn't vote now what would propel them to ever vote.

it's about the only thing that would compel many. but let's be honest, if it was down to identifying with the candidates 99% of Americans wouldn't vote in Presidential elections.

I don't get the fixation on the black vote.... The real difference is probably the Repubs that voted for change. Not the black voters that decided to vote only resulting in a minimal increase to the previous turnout. Can someone explain why this is the new talking point?

In fact it could very well be that the black people who decided to vote Obama for reasons related to race were offset by the non blacks who decided to vote McCain for similar reasons.