Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Not yet, its on my watch list.

Good, you'll have to tell us what you thought about it. When I saw it at the pictures back when it was released, it truly scared me more than any other film, I saw it in an almost empty theater at the midnight showing, it was creepy. Not everyone was scared by it (it depends on what usually scares you), but most people I know who have seen it at least enjoyed it.

It's been a while since I saw The Orphanage but from what I can remember I thought it was above average but nothing special. A step in the right direction for (mainstream) horror films though which have become beyond repetitive and are filled with cheap thrills rather than creating a genuinely creepy/scary atmosphere which takes real talent.

Not sure if this has already been posted but you can currently get Now TV Movies for 3 months for only £3 as a celebration of them launching the PS3 app. Seems to be some good films on there if anyone is interested. You can watch it on 4 devices I think, make sure to cancel before the 3 months are up though (turn auto-renewal off) or you'll be charged full price after that.

http://www.nowtv.com/promo/ps3?refe...r__48&DCMP=AFC_jan13_nowtv_affiliate_all_wk29

Thanks. Worth giving it a go for £3. It seems to have a far superior streaming selection compared to Lovefilm and Netflix, perhaps not worth £15 though.

Happy Go Lucky - Mike Leigh (2008)

Pretty much exactly what you expect from a Mike Leigh film - Great script, great characters, great actors, fantastic direction and loads of subtle social commentary from a progressive viewpoint. From the get go of the opening credits you can tell it's a work of a special artist as one follows the admirable bubbly optimism of Poppy, the main character, in the travails of her life as a single teacher in London. The cockney-ish accents were a bit difficult for me at times, but the film was excellent, right up there with Leigh's best work. Really one of England's and the world's premier film directors.

8 1/2 cocks up

Secrets & Lies and especially Naked are brilliant films.

Star Trek Into Darkness

Didnt enjoy it as much as the first one to be honest. It was ok but not mind blowing as I hoped for it to be. The acting was good, and the bad guy was exceptional but overall, the film just seemed a little uninspiring. Still, good effects and a mindless popcorn fest. 7/10

Fast & Furious 6

I don't know why people are bashing this film. It's the sixth in the series and is EXACTLY what a fan expects (and if you expect something different considering it's the sixth instalment, then you are an idiot). It has fast cars, high-octane and over the top action, Vin Diesel and The Rock kicking ass and taking names, sideboob, cheesy one liners, awful dialogue and comedy from Tyrese. For me, this was the best in the franchise and I absolutely LOVED the post-credits scene. 9/10

Snitch

Not the high intense all action romp that the trailer suggests, instead its a politically induced thriller that slowly boils for 90 minutes then explodes in the last 30 minutes. Dwayne Johnson shows some acting credability for 90 minutes until the final act, where he becomes The Rock. He is slowly becoming one of my favourite action stars and this film continues his fine work as an action star. After Fast & Furious, this was definitely what I needed... 8/10

The Expatriate

Arron Eckhart's turn to become macho man and he does a very good Liam Neeson impression. Slightly more plot driven than your standard action flick but pretty well acted and a good 90 minutes of fun. Again, another decent action movie. It's like I'm back in the early 90's! 7.5/10

Cowboys & Aliens - The good part is that it had Harrison Ford and Olivia Wilde. The bad part is, well, everything else. 5/10

Red Dawn. This is the worst steaming pile of hot shit I have ever seen. What a stupid movie. They basically used a story that is similar to the one used a video game called Homefront. Its North Korea taking over the US and in one city around seven 15 years olds, 1 marine and 1 hot girl fight back. How can 1 marine and bunch of 15 year olds outthink and outgun an entire N.Korea army? And Josh Peck? Who the feck thought this useless piece of shit can be an action hero? I mean seriously. The director and the producers were sitting around the table and thinking which young adult can we use as an action hero and they came up with Josh? 1/10

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - I do not, at all, get the hype surrounding this film at all. It is a by-the-numbers coming of age story as you're likely to get, with so many stereotypical "quirky" things (totally hip music chocies? check. Gay kid? check. Alternative kids? check. Mental health? check) that are probably included to make sure it gets enough quirky points so that teenagers will love it. (I realise this was all based on a book written in the 90's, but that doesn't change the fact that all these tropes have been seen many times in films over the recent past).

There were some good things to the film... the main guy is pretty good, it's very well made and the film has some sort-of touching moments. My main issues however (apart from overt quirkiness) were that no one seem to give a toss about this age difference between the main kid (14/15) and the girls he was getting with (17/18), the gay kid was a complete irritating carricature, and the reveal thrown in towards the end - whilst interesting, is so poorly woven into the film that it's slightly jarring. It wasn't seeded very well at all, and ultimately felt like it contributed more to add shock factor then any contribution to this kids mental health breakdown or whatever.

Finally, anything to do with music in the film is so irritating and shit. There's mix tapes thrown around left right and centre (urgh) and they keep banging on about this illusive and mysterious tunnel song that they haven't been able to find since hearing it... yes, that really underground, rare song - Heroes by David Bowie. Morons.

So yeah, it was alright, probably better then I'm giving it credit for, but really, the hype and love surrounding it has definitley altered my viewing of it. I watched Submarine recently and that (whilst also sharing some of the "quirky" traits) is a much better film.

fecking awful film, I agree with everything you've said, except I think Logan Lerman was shit.

The "Heroes" thing was so incredibly baffling.

That said, I didn't really hear any hype about it, and the reviews were all average.

Oh yeah that's another thing that annoyed me. So this kid suddenly is some super-hero or something? Since when? How does having mental health problems/ blackouts allow you to become some super fighter? Definitely took me out of the film... I thought it was going to turn into a prequel of Chronicle at that point.

And they hype is mainly from people as opposed to critics, heard loads of people telling me how good it is (I only watched it yesterday because I was sat down and made to watch it by a friend who likes it)... and it's got a 8.something on imdb (not that that is a beacon of all things great) so yeah, fecking people.

Is an age difference of like 2-3 years that big of a deal?.........I mean some of my year were with people way older than us in the same school, and two of those couples are still together.....no one cared.

Generally agree though, pretty generic by the books modern coming of age film.

Is an age difference of like 2-3 years that big of a deal?.........I mean some of my year were with people way older than us in the same school, and two of those couples are still together.....no one cared.

Generally agree though, pretty generic by the books modern coming of age film.

I dunno... I think a 17/18 year old girl going out with a 14/15 year old boy would be a bit odd, and would certainly get some attention in high school.

Obviously age matters less as you get older, but yeah at that age I would think it's more apparent, maybe it's just me though. Still a discussion for another thread most probably.

Predator

The original and still one of the best action films ever made in my opinion. Dylan... You son of a bitch! 9/10

The Great Gatsby - At first I thought it was a load of shite and the decision to use modern music was really appalling, it improved a bit but I couldn't help but think that I should rather have read the book instead. Leo was good though, Spiderman just hopelessly useless.

Last edited:
The Great Gatsby - At first I thought it was a load of shite and the decision to use modern music was really appalling, it improved a bit but I couldn't help but think that I should rather have read the book instead. Leo was good though Spiderman was hopelessly useless.

Yeah, thats my review in a nut shell. Tobey Maguire is a dreadful actor... even his bloody voiceovers are terrible (and more often then not, utterly pointless).

Rope - A classic Hitchkock suspense. The entire movie happens in one apartment and it's topic in few words is that two people decide to make a perfect prime and to kill a friend of them just for the sake of killing. Gret dialogues, great intrigues, great movie. Except for the ending that I didn't like. 8/10

Sunset Blvd. - It reminded me in many ways Citizen Kane. Except that here the megalomaniac is not the main actor/actress but she is pointed by a young writer. Liked it very much. 8/10

Rear Window - Another Hitchcock classic. The first hour of the movie was boring and very slow. But then, the second part of the movie was something else and really great. Say what you want, Hitchcock was a unique director. And a really great one. 8/10

The Hamiltons

Average horror movie with some silly bits thrown in to make it "shocking". Seemed like the director was a little confused... Also, there was little to no character development and is a film worth watching if you just want to switch your brain off for 90 minutes. 5.5/10

Before Sunrise - Richard Linklater (1995)

Young Ethan Hawke meets hot French gal on train and they spend one in night in Vienna falling in lub, smittenly waltzing about the city as generic forlorn lovers would romantically be bound to do before he must fly back to US . . . awwww! I found this movie boring as feck with a sterile chemistry between the lovebirds, the conversation superficial, uninteresting and often scoff worthy; and as always, Ethan Hawkey annoying. There was this one scene where they sat in a restaurant pretending to talk to each other on the telephone with stretched out pinkies and thumbs as the telephone receiver. One of the worst fecking romantic scenes I've ever seen on celluloid passing itself off as an "indie" film.

Absolute shit movie . . . or, you can go over to Rotten Tomatoes and check out the total ******** as the "critics" overwhelming drool over this tripe: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/before_sunrise/

I don't know, maybe it's me. I'm just a miserable cnut. But I did think Linklater's first film, Slacker, was brilliant. But the others basically unwatchable. I think I've had my fill of indie darling Richard. Good riddance.

3 cocks (barely) up

* I wrote w***fest and it came out **********. Ha ha. Did let me type "shit" and "fecking" though.

Not sure if this has already been posted but you can currently get Now TV Movies for 3 months for only £3 as a celebration of them launching the PS3 app. Seems to be some good films on there if anyone is interested. You can watch it on 4 devices I think, make sure to cancel before the 3 months are up though (turn auto-renewal off) or you'll be charged full price after that.

http://www.nowtv.com/promo/ps3?refe...r__48&DCMP=AFC_jan13_nowtv_affiliate_all_wk29

How do you turn the renewal off?

tn_dylan-you-son-of-a-bitch.jpg

Before Sunrise - Richard Linklater (1995)

Young Ethan Hawke meets hot French gal on train and they spend one in night in Vienna falling in lub, smittenly waltzing about the city as generic forlorn lovers would romantically be bound to do before he must fly back to US . . . awwww! I found this movie boring as feck with a sterile chemistry between the lovebirds, the conversation superficial, uninteresting and often scoff worthy; and as always, Ethan Hawkey annoying. There was this one scene where they sat in a restaurant pretending to talk to each other on the telephone with stretched out pinkies and thumbs as the telephone receiver. One of the worst fecking romantic scenes I've ever seen on celluloid passing itself off as an "indie" film.

Absolute shit movie . . . or, you can go over to Rotten Tomatoes and check out the total ******** as the "critics" overwhelming drool over this tripe: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/before_sunrise/

I don't know, maybe it's me. I'm just a miserable cnut. But I did think Linklater's first film, Slacker, was brilliant. But the others basically unwatchable. I think I've had my fill of indie darling Richard. Good riddance.

3 cocks (barely) up

* I wrote w***fest and it came out **********. Ha ha. Did let me type "shit" and "fecking" though.

Dazed and Confused and School of Rock are both great. But then, I liked Before Sunrise.

Thank You For Smoking

Absolutely loved the film. Reminded me of In The Company Of Men. Very good character development, witty dialogue, top performances and an all together well written and directed film. The lead character in both films (Aaron Eckhart) is a despicable being yet I find myself rooting for him as he also seems like a very likeable character, most likely due to a combination of good writing and acting. Highly recommend this film! 8.5/10

The Great Gatsby - At first I thought it was a load of shite and the decision to use modern music was really appalling, it improved a bit but I couldn't help but think that I should rather have read the book instead. Leo was good though Spiderman was hopelessly useless.

Yeah, thats my review in a nut shell. Tobey Maguire is a dreadful actor... even his bloody voiceovers are terrible (and more often then not, utterly pointless).

It's fecking awful. One of my favourite books turned into... whatever that tried to be.

I mean, if you want to do a modern adaptation of something you can at least attempt a Sherlock, instead of OTT music out of age, 21st century parties with people disguised as in the 1920's, terrible casting and pretentious adaptation of key plot scenes in terms of their effect on the development of the characters. And the only character they actually casted rightly (Jordan Baker) had like 5 minutes of screen time.

Seriously, we get is Baz Luhrmann, you read the book, stop with the green light reference already, it's not even a theme, merely a motif.

I'm not against freedom of adaptation, but Luhrmann didn't manage it well enough.

Doesn't even deserve its own thread.

If you didn't read the book, perhaps you won't hate it as much.