Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

The Pacino years of 71-79 were his best, don't get me wrong he has had some outstanding performances in some great movies since but those years were his best.

Dog Day is excellent, great great film. I can see why anyone would call it Pacino's best performance... mind you, I've never seen Serpico or Scent of a Woman.

Dog Day is excellent, great great film. I can see why anyone would call it Pacino's best performance... mind you, I've never seen Serpico or Scent of a Woman.

Definitely worth a watch... a slightly different role to what we are used to from Pacino but still a good film

Serpico

Not seen this before, and although I did enjoy it, excellent true life story , acting was good, Al Pacino was very good. I found it boring it parts.
I can see why it would of been a big film when it came out, but it has not dated very well.
If you like Pacino and I do, then you have to watch this.

7/10

Average film, great beard/hair/hats.

Al_Pacino_Beard_Serpico.jpg

47-serpico-al-pacino-0609-lg-34047821.jpg

serpicol_502-1.jpg

Serpico is no Scarface that's for sure.

Scarface is horrible and so is Pacino in it.

Definitely worth a watch... a slightly different role to what we are used to from Pacino but still a good film

I thought Bug was great, one of Michael Shannon's best performances in my opinion. On a related note I just saw Killer Joe and really enjoyed it. I loved the unrelentingly depraved characters and their despicable behaviour. The son in particular was wonderfully pathetic. I smiled all the way through this twisted farce.

You are right Bug is good and insanely nutty, its also adapted from a really good play as is Killer Joe(which I didn't like as much).

The Paperboy:

This is a bit of a marmite film if the reviews are anything to go by. Personally, I enjoyed it, although it does have its flaws. A particularly jarring bit of editing being one of them!

It's set in Florida in the late sixties and focuses on a desperate temptress and her attempt to get a convicted killer out of jail by persuading a reporter to investigate the way the case was initially handled.

Strong performances from everybody, but especially Nicole Kidman! John Cusack also plays his role very well. There is a particular scene in the prison with Kidman and Cusack which is brilliantly over the top and it's probably worth watching the film for. None of the characters are particularly likeable (apart from the narrator) but they're all played well and interesting.

overall, flawed but enjoyable with some good performances.

I watched Zac Efron in 17 Again yesterday. It was on, I was bored, the controller seemed so, so far away, and despite it obviously being fluffy teen nonsense that inexplicably has Matthew Perry, Thomas Lennon & Leslie Mann in it, my general opinion ended up being that Zac Efron wasn't actually a bad actor.

I just thought I'd get that off my chest, cathartically.

I watched Zac Efron in 17 Again yesterday. It was on, I was bored, the controller seemed so, so far away, and despite it obviously being fluffy teen nonsense that inexplicably has Matthew Perry, Thomas Lennon & Leslie Mann in it, my general opinion ended up being that Zac Efron wasn't actually a bad actor.

Q1ce1Pv.gif

It was a very similar moment to when I had to admit Justin Timberlake could be fairly endearing in SNL sketches and had semi decent comic timing and wasn't just entirely a dancing twat.

It was a horrible, ethos shattering moment, but I had to face it nonetheless.

I accidentally recorded it, haven't had the chance to enjoy it yet.

The only really bad thing was his inability to gesticulate without the stage school training overriding him and making him do it in that annoying way drama school dance-a-twats do when they stiffen their arms and sort of beckon/imitate wings to intimate "here" or "right here" or "voila" or something, only gayer. Like the way a circus ring master would beckon the viewer into the ring in a dream sequence if he was robotic. Or a ballet dancer would examine his fingernails and then flick a bogey off them.

I'm not explaining it very well, but it was terrible and rage inducing. But everything else he actually held together pretty well. He also had impressive hair.

F

A group of teachers must defend themselves from a gang of murderous kids when their school comes under siege after hours.

Just watched this on Film4 only because it was billed as a Genuinely chilling British Horror, but all I got was genuine disappointment. OK there was a few moments of mild horror but that was it, I get more horror looking at my bank balance.
The story was dreadful and the acting was even worse.

When is somebody going to make a decent horror film, something that is scary, not seen one for a long time.

2/10

Efron was pretty good in the paperboy, despite spending half the film wearing nothing but a pair of tiny white pants.

The Following - Christopher Nolan's first film... it's a bit of a momento-lite film, with one story being told out of sequence to keep up the mystery and suspense, and it generally achieves what it sets out to do. It keeps you interested in the story and the characters, and is smart enough to suprise you as the film goes along. Also, it's only 70 minutes long, so the whole thing flys by at a pretty nice pace. Worth checking out if you can get a hold of it.

Into The Wild - I enjoyed this quite a bit... and I can see why a lot of people love it. It's a really well made film, extremely well shot (it's beautiful at times) and manages to find interesting ways to tell, what is, a pretty simple story. Hirsch is pretty good in the lead - especially in the scenes of solitude - and the range of supporting actors all play their parts very well (I didn't even mind Kristan Stewart)

Oh, and the the soundtrack is superb as well... a brilliant compliment to the movie. I'm going to have to "acquire" it later today.

I've seen criticisms of the film that make Chris to be some sort of hero and/or wise sage... but I didn't get that at all from the film. To me, I think think it painted him as a naive young guy, who clearly had a love for living life on the fringes, but didn't realise that he was, and wouldl always be happiest when actually surrounded with other people as opposed to being in solitude. The differences in mood and tone between the scenes where he's with people, and he's alone on the "Magic Bus" were quite striking to me.

I really liked the following. The sequence mash up is nothing like memento, far less ambitious, far easier to follow. It's nowhere near as good either to be fair. But it deep keep me interested right to the end, and it felt very original.

I'd say it's similar in framing a story in a certain way so that the suspense/mystery is maintained until the very end of the film. To be fair, that isn't exactly something that only Momento does, and it's probably not a reference I would bring up, but as it's Nolan, you can't help but think of Momento a little bit when watching it... why I'd go with momento-lite.

I really liked the two leads as characters though, thought the dialogue between them was good and enjoyed the reasoning behind their actions.

The fact that it was all apparently made for 6 grand is incredibly impressive

You can slightly tell about the shoestring budget to be fair though that is not a criticism, it just has that feel. I didnt mean to really dispute your Memento lite comment to be fair, I know exactly what you mean, I watched it ages ago - like maybe 8 years or something - and as you said, had Memento very much in mind, I wouldnt have been watching it otherwise, I hunted the film down because Memento was one of my favourite films. And you can see the learning process Nolan has gone through in it, similarities - I read an interview somewhere all those years ago when I first read about The Following where Nolan said he was very interested in the concept of time and his films all played with that theme in different ways - you also see that in Insomnia.

So yes, I agree with you, there are comparisons to be made tho if you didnt know they were by the same director you wouldnt automatically link them. I was only really making the point that, although as you said other films than Memento frame a story in a certain way to maintain suspense, I dont know any other films that distort / play with time as ambitiously or as comprehensively as Memento does. That was what blew me away about that film, I found it unique and utterly compelling, it was done so well. Maybe there are other films, Im not enough of a connoisseur to know really, but I didnt find The Following particularly unusual, just interesting and well done. Whereas Memento I found ground-breaking.

The Life of Pi A really excellent conversion of the book. They didn't bugger it up to make it suit film and they also didn't make it too arty to bore the arse off everyone else. If you haven't seen it yet then you should. 9/10

Into the Wild is a cult favorite of backpackers, the world over. Good film but didn't quite capture the person revealed in the book. He was an adventurer influenced by Jack London & Thoreau and someone who saw life as an opportunity to test himself & his limits which is probably why it resonates with so many.

The Life of Pi A really excellent conversion of the book. They didn't bugger it up to make it suit film and they also didn't make it too arty to bore the arse off everyone else. If you haven't seen it yet then you should. 9/10

Still my favourite film from 2012 that I've seen. I do wonder how well the CGI will hold up say, 10 years from now... but even without that, it still tells an excellent story.

Into the Wild is a cult favorite of backpackers, the world over. Good film but didn't quite capture the person revealed in the book. He was an adventurer influenced by Jack London & Thoreau and someone who saw life as an opportunity to test himself & his limits which is probably why it resonates with so many.

To be fair, I'm not a backpacker, nor have I read the book.. but I'd say I got that from the film (especially with the kayaking stuff)... though the film does push the broken-home' and 'anti-wealth' angles a lot more as his main motivations.

The only really bad thing was his inability to gesticulate without the stage school training overriding him and making him do it in that annoying way drama school dance-a-twats do when they stiffen their arms and sort of beckon/imitate wings to intimate "here" or "right here" or "voila" or something, only gayer. Like the way a circus ring master would beckon the viewer into the ring in a dream sequence if he was robotic. Or a ballet dancer would examine his fingernails and then flick a bogey off them.

I'm not explaining it very well, but it was terrible and rage inducing. But everything else he actually held together pretty well. He also had impressive hair.

Did your boyfriend like him in it too?

Under the Sun of Satan - Maurice Pialat (1987)

French film where Gerry Depardieu plays a priest touched by God and Satan trying to figure out who and what the feck he is, amongst other things. Very, very heavy dialogue that is quite enjoyable to just sit back and listen to while much just flies over your head. Good look at the perversity and plain weirdness of the cult of the Catholic church. This movie really gave me the creeps but in a good way. Good one to sit by yourself and take in and perhaps smoke a joint to to magnify the creepiness of it all. Excellent, very heavy film. Won the Palme d'or in Cannes in '87 as well.

9 cocks up

I watched 17 Again....on a plane, without the headphones. 100% enjoyable.

It was a very similar moment to when I had to admit Justin Timberlake could be fairly endearing in SNL sketches and had semi decent comic timing and wasn't just entirely a dancing twat.

It was a horrible, ethos shattering moment, but I had to face it nonetheless.

Justin Timberlake has actually been brilliant in all the SNL's he's hosted. And it pains me to admit it, cos he's one of the few people I want to bitch slap. I don't know why, but I just do. Though he's growing on me, almost entirely thanks to his SNL appearances.

I'd have to imagine Timberlake really is as smug a bastard as he appears, after I heard that whole homeless people wedding video thing his mate gave him.

JT's solo career is awesome.....could care less about his persona or all that shit. I'm so so on his acting, nothing special, but works in tailor made roles. Still the most legendary Punk'd too.

You should check out Dog Day Afternoon, Pauly.

I did last night and I did enjoy it.
I found the attempted robber at the start just hilarious, no idea what they were doing or how to get out of it.
The film was well written and Pacino was just excellent, I can see why some people would think this was his best film, I still think he was better in The Godfather.
Did not know it was a true story until I stared to watch it, my god the Police made a proper mess of dealing with it and the press.

Al Pacino fans will love it, not sure if other will.

7.5/10

Have you watched Carlito's Way, Paul? Love that film.

My Brother The Devil The best British film in at least a decade. If you like The Prophet then this might be the film for you. Not a cookie cutter for that film but the multicultural themes are there. That said this film is more about family and is probably less cliched. If James Floyd isn't a huge star in the next decade then something is very wrong. 9/10

I couldn't get into Dog Day Afternoon when I watched it, one of the few films I haven't seen through to the end. It didn't feel like it worked at all.

Have watched quite a bit of animation recently, which should probably go in a different thread, but hey. Have slowly been working through what I haven't seen from this collection of Soviet and Russian animated shorts. The overtly political ones (which make up most of volume 1) don't make for great viewing out of context I think, but so much great stuff is included. All discs are on veehd & each individual short is on youtube, I'm more than happy to pick out a few favourites as recommendations.

I'm now really excited for Hoffmaniada, the latest Soyuzmultfilm animation out May next year. The first 20 minutes were apparently released over 6 years ago (& are on youtube without subtitles), delays due to lack of funding seem par for the course. It's bad enough waiting for Yuriy Norshteyn's next film, which I fortunately only found out about a few years back. 32+ years in the making!

I didn't realise until I recently rewatched them, that all the Shakespeare Animated Tales were outsourced to Russia (the director of Hoffmaniada worked on The Tempest & The Winter's Tale). They're an amazing achievement I think, great efforts to try to get children into the texts. I remember being scared as hell by the Macbeth one as a child. The stop motion puppet animations stand up really well, Hamlet is a work of art, same for As You Like It if it wasn't such an awful play.

Other stuff I've seen:
The Red Shoes - I don't think time has been kind to it, as while the dated/stylised nature adds a lot of comedy to old films (as it does here), it really takes away from the dramatic bits. Still a good watch & the ballet scenes are absolutely incredible.

Miller's Crossing - really enjoyable but I think something about hardboiled/pulp fiction just doesn't translate to the screen fully (maybe Justified's an exception because of how long it had to develop). Have never really warmed to Gabriel Byrne, he probably doesn't think much of me either.

I also rewatched the 70's versions of The Three Musketeers, which are classics.