Luis Nani | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if there's any truth in that. If there is, it's not looking good for Nani.

Nani's days at Manchester United appear to be numbered...

ESPN understands...

For his part, sources close to Nani say...

It is understood...

Many of the coaching staff are believed to question his focus...

Not one actual quote. Seems legit.

If you took all the things caftards think they know about Nani's personality, relationship with Fergie and reputation at the club based on the tiny fraction of his professional life that we see each week on the pitch and in interview, and then wrote it down as if it was fact and drew some hasty conclusions from it, you would get this article.

Some wingers are a bit more cerebral than other in their approach no? Franz Carr and Tony Daley spring to mind. Giggs was compared to Klinsman in his early days, and his future position wasn't nailed on, as numbers 9, 10 and 11 were mentioned. Giggs was obviously special as a kid when he played central midfield for England Schools. I think Giggs was always a very obvioulsy intelligent player.

And Nani is a super player, with great ability but has limitations. I think it's clear his careless passing happens in the brain rather than any lack of ability. That's the thing with Nani, it's not that he loses the ball as much as how he does. He passed the ball 10 yards to a Gooner last week under no pressure in the centre of the park. It wasn't even clear what he was trying to do.

Now Nani did make it, as has been said, so obviously does have a football brain, and is so good that at almost all levels he doesn't have to think all that much, he is one of the best dribblers there is and has an amazing shot.

The difference bewteen him and Giggs and their football brains maye be marginal, but there are fine lines in the top levels of sport.

That raises a decent point. Often it is said that Nani loses the ball more often because he tries riskier things, but he often loses it doing the most simple things. Adds to the frustration surrounding him.

On Getty - they've got bunch of training pics and not a one of Nani smiling - even have ones of Scholes and Valencia smiling. I submit this as confirmation of the bust up story and Nani is indeed on his way out.

Nani's biggest downfall for me is his decision making. Sometimes he'll release the ball too early and the attack breaks down or (more often) he'll keep hold of it too long and try and beat another defender or shoot when it was better to cross.

It is, as previous posters have mentioned, a football brain that Nani needs to 'develop', the comparison with Giggs is a good one in that regard. His technical ability is of the level of one of the best in the game I think but his decisions on where that ability takes him leaves a lot to be desired.

Not one actual quote. Seems legit.

If you took all the things caftards think they know about Nani's personality, relationship with Fergie and reputation at the club based on the tiny fraction of his professional life that we see each week on the pitch and in interview, and then wrote it down as if it was fact and drew some hasty conclusions from it, you would get this article.

There's no smoke without fire and in Nani's case over this last 18 months it's been a fecking inferno.

There's clearly something going on. There's simply too many stories going around.

I'd love him to stay. I think he's excellent. I suspect he'll be out of the door before the start of next season though.

He's not playing bar CC and smaller games...he's nowhere near starting big games and Fergie had a pop at him after the Chelsea game in public did he not?

Yeah course there is nothing going on :rolleyes:

There's no smoke without fire and in Nani's case over this last 18 months it's been a fecking inferno.

There's clearly something going on. There's simply too many stories going around.

I'd love him to stay. I think he's excellent. I suspect he'll be out of the door before the start of next season though.

I never said nothing's going on. I'm just saying the writer of that article clearly has no more idea than you or I do.

He is increasingly looking like a goner, the first time I'm more than 50% convinced actually. The comments from Fergie after the League Cup clash v Chelsea is the icing on the cake, really.

Not sure how much he has left on his contract but it might only be just over 1.5 years? Safe to say that if he is sold, it is another sale where we don't receive the full/maximum value of the player. If we can't fetch atleast 25m pounds for him, that'd be catastrophic considering the $$ and time we would have to fork out for his replacement.

He's never been my favourite player but it pains me a great deal. Such a great player if on form. Remember him taking the penalty in Moscow. After his first season, where he scored some belters, it really took balls to take it. Just like Anderson. They have Manchester United written all over them.

He's never been my favourite player but it pains me a great deal. Such a great player if on form. Remember him taking the penalty in Moscow. After his first season, where he scored some belters, it really took balls to take it. Just like Anderson. They have Manchester United written all over them.

Pains me too because i would't replace him for any winger in the league.. Be that Bale, Mata, Hazard etc

Pains me too because i would't replace him for any winger in the league.. Be that Bale, Mata, Hazard etc

Exactly - there are no viable options out there, and should there be, like Lavezzi perhaps, they will cost way too much (I'm going by rumour about Lavezzi - can't even remember having seen him play). Then you have DiMaria who is very good, but at least as inconsistent as Nani, as most wingers are. Nah, I really want him and the club to resolve the issues; Valencia has been OK, but no more than that, so normally Nani would've gotten a few more starts.

Comments from the Braga manager.

Fergie needs to give Nani more support, insists Braga coach Peseiro

Nani is suffering on the fringes at Manchester United and needs more support from Sir Alex Ferguson to convince the Portugal winger he still has a future at Old Trafford.

That's the verdict of Braga coach Jose Peseiro, Ferguson's opposite number in the Estadio Municipal de Braga on Wednesday night and the man who gave Nani his senior debut at Sporting Lisbon seven years ago.

United bought him for £17million in July 2007 but it looks increasingly likely that the 25-year-old will leave after failing to agree terms over a new contract and seeing his relationship with Ferguson grow increasingly strained.

The Old Trafford boss took the unusual step of publicly criticising Nani for his error in the build-up to Chelsea's equaliser when United lost in the Capital One Cup last week, and is still furious over a training ground bust-up in September in which he punched young teammate Davide Petrucci.

It is understood that Nani has refused to apologise to Petrucci with Ferguson's assistant Mike Phelan forced to step in and act as a mediator.

Peseiro knows Nani better than most after Sporting plucked the player from poverty on the streets of Santa Filomena outside Lisbon and turned him into a star.

The Braga boss believes his former charge will not be happy until he is playing again.

'After Cristiano Ronaldo left Manchester, he had two or three fantastic seasons and Manchester depended on him,' said Peseiro.

'At this moment it isn't the same but Nani can improve more. But a player can only play at the maximum level when he's happy. If he's not happy, he can't.

'I know him. If he doesn't play, it is not easy for him. He doesn't feel well when he doesn't play.

'I don't know why Nani doesn't play now. I know the team is good. Manchester United doesn't just have 11 players but 20 at the similar top level and it's hard. I don't know if the problem is that he doesn't sign another contract, if the coach has less confidence in him or if he just doesn't feel right at this moment.

'I hope he finishes the season well because it is important for him, the national team and important for me because I took Nani from the Under-18s and put him in the first team at Sporting.' Peseiro believes the foreigners in the Premier League need more reassurance and support than English players, and that Nani is no exception.

'All players have a different personality,' he added. 'Some need an embrace and support, others don't need any support.

'Sure, the English players don't need too much support, but the Portuguese, Brazilian and Spanish players need more emotional contact.

'When Nani arrived at Manchester United he needed to forget this situation because he needed to play to the maximum and to fight for his place against others.

'Sir Alex Ferguson can't speak differently to him than to the others, but I know some players need more. Nani needs more, I think.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...pport-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-says-Braga-coach.html

I thought he was one of our best players in the first half (not saying a lot), didn't do anything wrong, but it has to be said, his second half was really, really poor. He was totally overshadowed by Valencia.

It was a much much quieter second half but wouldn't say it was really poor, was still doing better than everyone else bar Valencia who's been excellent.

He misplaced a lot in the second half though, nothing really worked for him.

That right side was there for the taking but he just didn't do it.

I thought he was one of our best players in the first half (not saying a lot), didn't do anything wrong, but it has to be said, his second half was really, really poor. He was totally overshadowed by Valencia.

Poor? I don't know what was poor. Average I'd said, don't remember him doing anything poor.

Well atleast him being largely shit this season and towards the end of last season is making me slightly less sad than I normally would be when/if he eventually leaves.

Nani was as shite as usual...expect the dickheads in here to defend him again though.

Yh the first parts of the second half were very tough as they were working hard and nani was trying to drift to get things going but there wasn't the space and Rooney etc who he was tying to link up with we're just off their game but then they got sloppy, think rvp coming on helped change the game as well as someone was actually willing to get on the ball in their half and fact their goal. P

I'm pretty sure there were a few. He certainly didn't do anything worthwhile, unlike in the first half where a lot of our good link up play went through him.

Very good?! That's inaccurate.

'Decent' is as far as I'd go, but better than most of the team. Valencia put in a 'very good' performance on the right, Nani didn't.

Clearly biased against nani if you can't see he was very good in the first half.

He wasn't shite at all. But it's nonsense to suggest he was very good. That's far too low a bar to be setting.

Clearly biased against nani if you can't see he was very good in the first half.
Clearly biased towards nani if you can't see he was very poor in the first half.

Clearly biased towards nani if you can't see he was very poor in the first half.

He was neither very poor or very good. He was fine, he didn't do anything great nor did he do anything wrong. How people can jump to either of these conclusions based on his first half baffles me.

Either people have low expectations or he's really shit if some posters think he had a good game.

Looks.. changed. Not confident at all, doesn't seem to have the usual Nani belief that he's the best thing there is bar threesomes, and just looks disinterested.

If I were held at gunpoint and made to guess I'd say he's gone in his head already.

Every time I've seen Nani play since I heard he was leaving has made me care less. Was invisible today.

He wasn't shite at all. But it's nonsense to suggest he was very good. That's far too low a bar to be setting.
Ok maybe a bit ott but he was good especially so given how poor nosy were around him.

Definitely not, very good is ott but he was at least good.

Average in the first half. Was bad in the second half when he kept on misplace passes.

Nani was as shite as usual...expect the dickheads in here to defend him again though.

Ahh, we're the dickheads. :eek:

Nani was average tonight, some decent moments but didn't do enough during his time on the pitch, similar to most players in red.

But yeah "shite as usual"... :wenger:

"dickhead".

Status
Not open for further replies.