Luis Nani | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure id want either of the 3 mentioned from the Spanish league to replace Nani.

You might have to settle for them, we're never convincing Downing to leave Liverpool.

Lol, I don't see them as improvement on Nani to be fair. If Nani did leave I'm not sure the need to replace him will be that huge, as it's more likely that we decided that we don't really need him. If the need to replace him is there then I'd rather we just forked out the extra 20k and keep him. Otherwise, I'm happy with our other options and we have a couple of youngsters, Cole and Lingard, who might make the step up.

I dunno, the other seasons are appearances too. Nani has never started every game, bar a period in 2010- 2011. He has one season with 30+ league appearances.

You all assume Nani starts every game and has been amazing when he has played this year.

He is playing marginally less than usual in a season where we bought two attacking players and are trying a new formation.

Drama over nothing.

There's obviously a difference between 30 starts and 30 sub appearances.

He definitely seems to be involved a lot less right now. The players we've signed haven't even played out wide.

So there seems to be something.

Lol, I don't see them as improvement on Nani to be fair. If Nani did leave I'm not sure the need to replace him will be that huge, as it's more likely that we decided that we don't really need him. If the need to replace him is there then I'd rather we just forked out the extra 20k and keep him. Otherwise, I'm happy with our other options and we have a couple of youngsters, Cole and Lingard, who might make the step up.

I agree, Nani is class when he's in the mood and if we just saw clips of him on a weekly basis from Spain we'd be gagging for him. It's odd that he isn't featuring more though. I thought 4-4-2 was a formation that didn't suit Nani and that the wide player of a front 3 would be best for him. The old Scottish bloke seems to disagree.

I dunno, the other seasons are appearances too. Nani has never started every game, bar a period in 2010- 2011. He has one season with 30+ league appearances.

You all assume Nani starts every game and has been amazing when he has played this year.

He is playing marginally less than usual in a season where we bought two attacking players and are trying a new formation.

Drama over nothing.

By November 1st Nani had started 9 games in 11/12, 11 games in 10/11, 9 games in 09/10 and 9 games in 07/08. The only time he played less than this season was 08/09. While you're right in saying that us wanting to try a new system and new players are far bigger factors than people have acknowledged in amongst all the media drama, it does seem evident there's more to it than that.

From what I've seen, I can't think of a more talented player of this kind (great at beating a man), apart from the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta etc who we can't get, than Eden Hazard. Shame we missed out on him.

There's obviously a difference between 30 starts and 30 sub appearances.

He definitely seems to be involved a lot less right now. The players we've signed haven't even played out wide.

So there seems to be something.

Yes, there is something, two new attackers, a new formation and Nani being average when he played.

I agree, Nani is class when he's in the mood and if we just saw clips of him on a weekly basis from Spain we'd be gagging for him. It's odd that he isn't featuring more though. I thought 4-4-2 was a formation that didn't suit Nani and that the wide player of a front 3 would be best for him. The old Scottish bloke seems to disagree.

I agree with this, actually. Wide players like Nani and Di Maria seem better suited to a 433 than a 442 for me.

By November 1st Nani had started 9 games in 11/12, 11 games in 10/11, 9 games in 09/10 and 9 games in 07/08. The only time he played less than this season was 08/09. While you're right in saying that us wanting to try a new system and new players are far bigger factors than people have acknowledged in amongst all the media drama, it does seem evident there's more to it than that.

There may be more to it but for me the bottom line is that we are finding our feet as a team and he has been fairly average when he played. It's not like he's put in any undroppable showings. I don't see the need to be clamouring for reasons just yet.

Yes, there is something, two new attackers, a new formation and Nani being average when he played.

Or the off the field stuff.

You don't have a clue really. None of us do. It's all speculation. Could be any of the above or a combination of a few/all.

Or the off the field stuff.

You don't have a clue really. None of us do. It's all speculation. Could be any of the above or a combination of a few/all.

I do have a clue, all of my reasons are actual facts. The new players the new formation, the same stats as Welbeck. None of that is a leap like Fergie playing a weakened team to make a point.

Fair enough on all of us speculating to a degree, I was more talking to people who said it was 'clear' and that any other reason was 'ridiculous'.

Fair enough on all of us speculating to a degree, I was more talking to people who said it was 'clear' and that any other reason was 'ridiculous'.

I'm with you on that one. We can't definitely put it down to one thing.

But I would also say him being unsettled is also a fact. I went through this stuff in a hurry but I think he's made some statements regarding his future which don't sound like someone whose heart is really at United, and cause reason to believe that he's on his way out. In those circumstances, I'd suggest that players don't tend to play at their best anyway. You only have to see Rooney and his performances in the first half of the 10/11 season as an indicator.

Obviously whether it's affecting his football and hence his starts or directly affecting Fergie picking him is where I'm speculating.

I think SAF only likes to use him when he is to be one of our main attacking threats, that is, with say only 2 other players that are as attacking as him, see the man city away game last year. Now with RVP and Rooney, and all of Welbeck, Kagawa, Valencia and Hernandez to compete for the other spot, it's difficult for him to include Nani. With Welbeck or Valencia on the other hand, SAF won't mind playing them even when we have numerous other attackers on, perhaps because he trusts them defensively? Not saying Nani is poor at tracking back, but he isn't as good as those at that and I'm not sure we get to see him at his best when he is restricted tactically.

This thread is impossible to follow.

I think SAF only likes to use him when he is to be one of our main attacking threats, that is, with say only 2 other players that are as attacking as him, see the man city away game last year. Now with RVP and Rooney, and all of Welbeck, Kagawa, Valencia and Hernandez to compete for the other spot, it's difficult for him to include Nani. With Welbeck or Valencia on the other hand, SAF won't mind playing them even when we have numerous other attackers on, perhaps because he trusts them defensively? Not saying Nani is poor at tracking back, but he isn't as good as those at that and I'm not sure we get to see him at his best when he is restricted tactically.

That is a good point, with the new players the right combinations will take time which will probably see everyone except RVP and Rooney dropped from time to time.

That is a good point, with the new players the right combinations will take time which will probably see everyone except RVP and Rooney dropped from time to time.

Indeed, I'd guess that we won't see quite the uproar when it's Welbeck or Valencia dropped however.

Definitely not Welbeck given he's not nearly as good as the other two.

That's fair, and he is a little less senior but he does play well usually.

What do people think of Nanis capability to play centrally? Not starting there but consistently occupying central roles and seamlessly interchanging with the other 3 of the front four? Before RVP was signed, I had wanted Valencia to drop out in most cases, and let Welbeck, Rooney, Kagawa and Nani play and move around as they please. Now with RVP being indispensable, I'd like Kagawa and Welbeck to start with the big two in general as it fits the style I have in mind. If Nani proves that he can move the ball quickly when needs be, and get a real team mentality going, then I'd be all for him playing.

He has shown it in glimpses, and I certainly thought and still think it will follow, but he does need to start producing now or neve as the competition is fierce to say the least. Welbeck and Hernandez, perhaps because they are younger and less senior, have responsed impeccably to the challenge put in front of them, Welbeck was brilliant against Newcastle, the first big game he was trusted in this season, and Hernandez is doing so well recently. Nani need to show the same mentality, fight hard for his place, and if he is as talented as we all think, he'll get in the team. Like it or not, what he was criticised for last night, is seen as a problem by some fans and the manager for a long time, making the same mistake in one of your only starts isnt going to help him.

Just watched last minutes of last nights game again, catched rerun on tv. Nani lost the ball at their end minute and 10-15 seconds before they won a penalty, and after he lost it we won the ball two times(one time from offside though, eventough we could have done better there too), and in the end Nani was our only player who chased their players before that penalty incident. Blaming him for that goal is ridiculous and really really unfair too him, that was too harsh and unprofessional from Fergie,

Just watched last minutes of last nights game again, catched rerun on tv. Nani lost the ball at their end minute and 10-15 seconds before they won a penalty, and after he lost it we won the ball two times(one time from offside though, eventough we could have done better there too), and in the end Nani was our only player who chased their players before that penalty incident. Blaming him for that goal is ridiculous and really really unfair too him, that was too harsh and unprofessional from Fergie,

I dont think he is being blamed directly for the goal. Hernandez and he were cooly moving the ball about keeping possession when nani suddenly decided to take on the Chelsea defence and dribble past them. If he had just kept it simple and kept the ball in the Chelsea half, the game would have been over right there. That is why he is being blamed.

You can't say that, more than a minutes passed after that, who knows, maybe we would lose the ball on other way, we were sloppy in possesion for whole game anyway.

Just saw the interview. Can't see nani sticking around much longer. He's been good for us but I can't honestly say if he does go I'd miss him. Still can't quite forget when against WH he fouled that guy then threw himself to the ground as if shot. Despicable.

hardly. do you remember that incident? I doubt I've felt that ashamed of a united player before, or since and I've been watching Utd now for almost 40 years.
Cantona's kung fu kick didn't bother me as that fan deserved it, imo.

This is unbelievable to hold a grudge against him for 4 years.

Why do some people hate him so much?

Honestly, I've never seen so much dislike for a current United player.

No one hates him. It's just that certain people (fanboys) go on lengths defending him and fail to admit his many faults. This forces others to highlights the deficiencies in Nani's game and come across as hateful. Some people (fanboys) are easily bamboozled by a few step overs and think that is what makes a brilliant player when in reality it's players who do most simple things right.

No one hates him. It's just that certain people (fanboys) go on lengths defending him and fail to admit his many faults. This forces others to highlights the deficiencies in Nani's game and come across as hateful. Some people (fanboys) are easily bamboozled by a few step overs and think that what makes a brilliant player when in reality it's players who do most simple things right.

I don't get this really, do you think Ronaldinho wasn't a brilliant player? Some players just have this stuff as a facet of their game.

I'm not comparing him to Ronaldinho by the way or claiming he's at his level, before anyone starts.

hardly. do you remember that incident? I doubt I've felt that ashamed of a united player before, or since and I've been watching Utd now for almost 40 years.
Cantona's kung fu kick didn't bother me as that fan deserved it, imo.

How do you feel about Rooney's red card against montenegro? About all his dives at start of his Manchester united career?

Or about this?

I don't get this really, do you think Ronaldinho wasn't a brilliant player? Some players just have this stuff as a facet of their game.

I'm not comparing him to Ronaldinho by the way or claiming he's at his level, before anyone starts.

Did he keep fecking up on the simple things?

I'd get the hate if it was justified by his performances over the last few years but when he's been our 2nd most productive player in that time..

Did he keep fecking up on the simple things?

Like I said, not comparing the two. But flair and step overs are core parts of certain players games, and Nani is the same. If it was taken away he wouldn't have scored a goal like the one against Chelsea.

(he doesn't even do a lot of step overs, certainly not to the extent of Ronaldo)

I don't think Nani's problem is an over-reliance on tricks etc. It's down to making bad decisions on the ball. If he could sort that out he'd be as good a winger as you could want. As it is he's still a very good player.

I don't think Nani's problem is an over-reliance on tricks etc. It's down to making bad decisions on the ball. If he could sort that out he'd be as good a winger as you could want. As it is he's still a very good player.

Exactly. I just think it was a strange comment, it was as if he was saying that having flair and tricks is a bad thing for a player and they should all keep it simple.

Like I said, not comparing the two. But flair and step overs are core parts of certain players games, and Nani is the same. If it was taken away he wouldn't have scored a goal like the one against Chelsea.

(he doesn't even do a lot of step overs, certainly not to the extent of Ronaldo)

That is part of his game and I am not saying that he should stop it. All I am saying is that if could mature and also do the simple things right he could become a great player. The greatest players learn to play within their limitations.

No one hates him. It's just that certain people (fanboys) go on lengths defending him and fail to admit his many faults. This forces others to highlights the deficiencies in Nani's game and come across as hateful. Some people (fanboys) are easily bamboozled by a few step overs and think that is what makes a brilliant player when in reality it's players who do most simple things right.

Such a poor statement to make.

You think the ones who rate nani as a player dont know what makes a good player?

Status
Not open for further replies.