Luis Nani | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely all our posts are what we think? Let it go.

Ofcourse, You're the one who came up with the needless boss didnt cc me bit though, not me.

And yeah, let it be. Have a paper tomorrow anyways. I better get to it.

Well if something is clear to someone I don't expect it to be that nebulous to me. Sorry if my glib reply upset you.

Thats okay. People perceive things differently. Am fine with you thinking its entirely performance related.

Your reply didnt upset me, Just thought it was strange and unnecessary.

Sults, who do you consider the best wide players in the world? Apart from Ronaldo, someone like Di Maria is considered right up there. He often gives the ball away cheaply. He's never going to be as "correct" in his usage of the ball as someone like Mesut Ozil. Same with Robben who sometimes just refuses to pass the ball and forgets those around him. Yet they're considered among the best wide players. I don't see how Nani is any different for me. Why is it that Giggs when played further forward gives the ball away 20 times and lays on a goal one time, and we accept the trade-off?

I do think people are very harsh on Nani. He's a class act and if goes to a team like Madrid he will be fantastic there.

I have a very high regard for Nani's talent, and therefore it's make even annoying the times he gives away the ball cheaply. What's worse it's usually when he tries simple passes and easier options. Ronaldo and Giggs were never as bad as Nani, even in their younger days. Nani is now a very experienced player and should be in his prime.

PS: I can easily understand someone looking a fool when looking to do something outrageous and not coming off.

Thats okay. People perceive things differently. Am fine with you thinking its entirely performance related.

Your reply didnt upset me, Just thought it was strange and unnecessary.

Good. Not that strange though, I'm a dick.

I understand Sir Alex being disappointed but it's harsh to blame nani. After all he's the reason we were in that position. It was a bit immature but 9/10 it wouldn't result in a goal. It's important to encourage Nani to build on the good he produced.

then why Welbeck on the left, when Nani is even off-form is a better option?

They have both scored one and set one up. So, lots of potential reasons.

Welbeck really doesn't offer anything that Nani does in your opinion?

The thing about Valencia and I am speaking from a personal point of view is that although Nani's ceiling may be higher, Valencia works back really well, compliments Rafael and is tactically very dsiciplined. That is very important with a young squad and as I said earlier in a team that is in flux.

Yeah I think that's fair and I agree that his work rate is probably giving him an edge atm, although I think nani and Rafael link very well. However I think, particularly if we keep Rooney in a deeper role, with a 3 in the middle it should alleviate the defensive burden on our wide players in most games and in that case I think nani's greater attacking ability would work very well, whilst still giving you more defensive cover than most other players of his ilk.

Exactly, even in the form of his life he was displaced by Park, now he is in relatively poor form and people seem to think its only contract issues keeping him out.

He'd tailed off massively by then after his injury. He was the first name on the team sheet before that - he was really unlucky.

He'd tailed off massively by then after his injury. He was the first name on the team sheet before that - he was really unlucky.

Did he? I know he was injured for a month before the Chelsea QF but I don't remember him playing badly, if at all in between his injury and him being dropped for our crunch games.

Did he? I know he was injured for a month before the Chelsea QF but I don't remember him playing badly, if at all in between his injury and him being dropped for our crunch games.

That's what my memory tells me at least. The way I remember it, he was amazing up until February/March, lost his place after getting injured by Carragher, we then persisted with the same midfield (Park, Carrick, Giggs, Valencia) which became tried and tested system, with him playing at an inferior level when he was actually selected. Tailed off massively is probably a bit too extreme, but he wasn't the same player from what I recall - that Carragher challenge really did him in. To be fair though, I was smashed/high/wired throughout the whole second half of the season so maybe I'm wrong!

It's ridicuous to think that there is no reason to drop Nani other than contract issues.

No it's not.. Your best winger doesn't get dropped without good reason. His form hasn't been bad.. considering he hasn't played, he's fit and was one of 3 wingers available. What on earth could have been the other possible reasons?

No it's not.. Your best winger doesn't get dropped without good reason. His form hasn't been bad.. considering he hasn't played, he's fit and was one of 3 wingers available. What on earth could have been the other possible reasons?

What were the reasons the numerous other times he has been dropped, without the contract issues in the background?

If you think it is down to contract issues, then explain why Rooney, Rio and keane was never dropped. Even more so Rooney, as he said he wasn't going to sign a new contract with the club, yet still played?

Nani played well last night. I'm sorry Fergie felt the need to blame him for the defeat but we wouldn't have been 3-2 up in the first place if he hadn't scored that 3rd goal.

Come on Fergie, stop berating our players in public....it reflects badly on you, not them.

“We gave the ball away for the third goal,” he said. “We were in complete control of the match at that point, playing really good football and all we needed to do was see the game out and keep possession.

“Nani decided to try and beat a player, lost the ball and we ended up conceding a penalty kick.

“It's disappointing [to go out]. Some of our football was terrific.

“Our counter-attacking was very good, but if you are winning 3-2 in the final seconds of the game then you should see it out. We only have ourselves to blame, really.”

Nani wasn’t the only player to make an error that led to a goal. Alexander Buttner and Scott Wootton both conceded penalties, and Wootton’s soft header back to goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard at the beginning of extra-time allowed Daniel Sturridge to pounce and put Chelsea ahead.

“We took a gamble in terms of the centre-backs,” Sir Alex conceded. “It's very difficult because one's 19 [Michael Keane] and one's 20 [Wootton]. It's not easy.
“You can always get away with playing young forwards but playing young central defenders away from home, in a game of that magnitude, is going to make for a difficult night. That's how it proved.

“They'll learn from the experience but nonetheless it was a hard night for them.

“From a spectator's point of view it was a terrific game of football. You're getting your money's worth with nine goals, there's no doubt about that!”

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...son-chelsea-league-cup-reaction.aspx?pageNo=2

To me that's a summary of how the game went, not blaming Nani

What were the reasons the numerous other times he has been dropped, without the contract issues in the background?

When has Nani EVER been dropped for 3 games on the trot? It doesn't happen. He didn't play against Cluji, Newcastle, didn't start against Stoke, Braga or Chelsea. Name me the last time that happened in the last 2 years?

Stop trying to sugar coat stuff if he had a 4 year contract under him right now this wouldn't be happening.

If you think it is down to contract issues, then explain why Rooney, Rio and keane was never dropped. Even more so Rooney, as he said he wasn't going to sign a new contract with the club, yet still played?

Well Rooney got injured, Rio last any change of ever being United captain and don't think that didn't affect Fergie's decision. Plus we've got players that can do a job which is why Fergie can do this, the other 3 you named where clearly a class above anyone behind them. Stupid comparison.

Well Rooney got injured, Rio last any change of ever being United captain and don't think that didn't affect Fergie's decision. Plus we've got players that can do a job which is why Fergie can do this, the other 3 you named where clearly a class above anyone behind them. Stupid comparison.

So now you change the goal posts to validate your stupid claim? Ok.

“We gave the ball away for the third goal,” he said. “We were in complete control of the match at that point, playing really good football and all we needed to do was see the game out and keep possession.

“Nani decided to try and beat a player, lost the ball and we ended up conceding a penalty kick.

“It's disappointing [to go out]. Some of our football was terrific.

“Our counter-attacking was very good, but if you are winning 3-2 in the final seconds of the game then you should see it out. We only have ourselves to blame, really.”

Nani wasn’t the only player to make an error that led to a goal. Alexander Buttner and Scott Wootton both conceded penalties, and Wootton’s soft header back to goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard at the beginning of extra-time allowed Daniel Sturridge to pounce and put Chelsea ahead.

“We took a gamble in terms of the centre-backs,” Sir Alex conceded. “It's very difficult because one's 19 [Michael Keane] and one's 20 [Wootton]. It's not easy.
“You can always get away with playing young forwards but playing young central defenders away from home, in a game of that magnitude, is going to make for a difficult night. That's how it proved.

“They'll learn from the experience but nonetheless it was a hard night for them.

“From a spectator's point of view it was a terrific game of football. You're getting your money's worth with nine goals, there's no doubt about that!”

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...son-chelsea-league-cup-reaction.aspx?pageNo=2

To me that's a summary of how the game went, not blaming Nani

It sure is.. However people on here are just highlighting the one point.

When has Nani EVER been dropped for 3 games on the trot? It doesn't happen. He didn't play against Cluji, Newcastle, didn't start against Stoke, Braga or Chelsea. Name me the last time that happened in the last 2 years?

Stop trying to sugar coat stuff if he had a 4 year contract under him right now this wouldn't be happening.

Are you asking the last time he didn't start 3 games in a row? Because that was last season.

No, just what you can back with didn't back your arguement. Not my fault, just come back with something better.

Why should I? The cases I quoted all stalled on contracts, yet wasn't dropped. It is you changing the goal posts....Er, Rio won't be captain and they were all a class above everyone else. This is where your argument falls down, because Nani was the best winger we had during Valencia's injury and maybe the best in league for that period, so I think we could add him to that little quote of yours, "A class above."

Yet he was still dropped!

One goal one assist all season, like Welbeck, who replaced him. A preference for a central orientated played in new to us narrow formation? What on earth was the manger at indeed.

It sure is.. However people on here are just highlighting the one point.

Yes, mostly the people who agree with you though to 'prove' he was dropped for the previous game because of contract issues?

Yes. I know.

Why should I? The cases I quoted all stalled on contracts, yet wasn't dropped. It is you changing the goal posts....Er, Rio won't be captain and they were all a class above everyone else. This is where your argument falls down, because Nani was the best winger we had during Valencia's injury and maybe the best in league for that period, so I think we could add him to that little quote of yours, "A class above."

Yet he was still dropped!

Rooney was injured. So how can you drop him?

Rio was at the back when we had Mikel Silvestre, Wes Brown and John O'Shea.. No offense but Rio starts.

Keane same thing.. Scholes, P.Neville, Butt who else was around Quinton Fortune?? Keane starts..

When you have Valencia as an option the decision isn't that hard to make. Nani clearly is a quality winger however Valencia is not a vast step down. He's done it before when he kept playing Solskjaer over Beckham (before he highlight, no it wasn't a contract issue) who was out of form too apparently... we all know what happened there.

Yes, mostly the people who agree with you though to 'prove' he was dropped for the previous game because of contract issues?

Yes. I know.

Well forget the contract issues talk.. why isn't he playing? In your view?

Valencia played in the diamond against Stoke.

That just tells me Valencia is more suited to the diamond than Nani in SAFs head. And if he played two orthodox wingers it wouldn't be a diamon, still no contract talk evidence. Nani didnt even start every game when we played two wingers so I don't see his omission from a narrower formation as anyting to do with off the pitch happenings

Well forget the contract issues talk.. why isn't he playing? In your view?

I have no idea, but I've already offered reasons as plausible as the contract talks. The fact that he has played 6 out of 9 games, which is the same ratio as his busiest league season would suggest he is playing. If he is toying with a new formation I can see why Valencia would get the nod. His stats being the same as Welbeck doesn't point to Welbeck starting as the anomaly people are making it out to be.

I think it's down to the off the pitch stuff. Whether that's due to Nani's focus and commitment not being on United or due to his uncertain future, I think his lack of starts is down to that.

I always liked Nani because of the type of player he represented. A quick, tricky, skilful, unpredictable type of player. They tend to make the game that little bit more exciting. Yet even his staunchest supporters would have to concede that he has been incredibly frustrating during his time here; because when Nani has a bad game, he has a stinker. Misplacing simple passes etc.

So as much as I want him to succeed here and consistently be the player we all know he can be; if push comes to shove and we can sell him and replace him with an Isco, Rodriguez or Muniain. Then I think we'd probably be better off.

I think if was about off field nonsense that he'd have 0/9 appearances, and not 6. Why the 6? His season average appearances is about 75% so a start in the next game would be about average.

I always liked Nani because of the type of player he represented. A quick, tricky, skilful, unpredictable type of player. They tend to make the game that little bit more exciting. Yet even his staunchest supporters would have to concede that he has been incredibly frustrating during his time here; because when Nani has a bad game, he has a stinker. Misplacing simple passes etc.

So as much as I want him to succeed here and consistently be the player we all know he can be; if push comes to shove and we can sell him and replace him with an Isco, Rodriguez or Muniain. Then I think we'd probably be better off.

It's interesting because Nani is naturally a wide attacker like Di Maria but for us he's become a winger who stays fairly wide and plays in a 442/4411. Someone like Munain, based on the little I've seen him, doesn't look like he'd instantly fit into a 442/4411. Looks like he'd like to play a lot further forwards. Not sure how many wide players would instantly fit the bill.

I think if was about off field nonsense that he'd have 0/9 appearances, and not 6. Why the 6? His season average appearances is about 75% so a start in the next game would be about average.

How many starts does he have this season?

I dunno, the other seasons are appearances too. Nani has never started every game, bar a period in 2010- 2011. He has one season with 30+ league appearances.

You all assume Nani starts every game and has been amazing when he has played this year.

He is playing marginally less than usual in a season where we bought two attacking players and are trying a new formation.

Drama over nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.