Luis Nani | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must feel the same way about Young,Rooney and RVP.

hardly. do you remember that incident? I doubt I've felt that ashamed of a united player before, or since and I've been watching Utd now for almost 40 years.
Cantona's kung fu kick didn't bother me as that fan deserved it, imo.

The reason is fairly obvious to me, it's not just random dislike.

And I'd argue he has done phenomenal things, but they don't mark progress the way we'd like them to. If Danny scored that goal last night, we'd all be delighted and there would be talk of him kicking on etc. With Nani, we know that he'll just feck up something simple sooner or later. That's the issue. When he did things like that in the first or second seasons even detractors ate their words; now they won't.

I feel Nani has already (before this falling out) progressed greatly in the last 2 and half years or so. And I feel fans are a bit harsh on him. Agree to disagree on this one.

To be fair he did express his disappointment but when pressed on it by the interviewer he said something like "He likes to beat a player and we certainly wouldn't want to take that out of his game"

SAF obviously wasn't happy but I wouldn't look at those comments as a sign that he is off.

I agree. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if behind the scenes SAF explained that pressure needed to be taken off the young defenders and it's the place of winners/leaders to take responsibility as others did for them in times past.

Been thinking for a while now that much of what's going on has to do with Nani's discomfort in taking on a more focal role; this can't be easy on the staff if they feel that Nani's at a point where the club would like him to try and take some steps towards being a bigger presence in line with his ability. Sort of a "You're not a 130k player yet. But we do think you can be."

On form Nani can skin anyone. What in your opinion was his best period here?

Well he had a great 18 months from Jan 2010 right up to the Carragher injury, since then it's been hit and miss, though he was very good around Dec/Jan last season as I recall, before getting injured again.

In a more settled and solid team Nani could be perfect, but we have so many areas of the pitch that seems in flux that Nani is a luxury that we maybe can't afford just now. Talking in general, not last night.

That's a very good point moses, hence my reckoning that if he was in that Madrid side he'd be excellent.

Good advice, maybe you should pay heed to it when you rant about Welbeck????

:confused: When do I do that? By saying he was invisible last night?

He carried the team in assistance of Berbatov in what could be our temporary downfall, nobody can deny it.

I feel Nani has already (before this falling out) progressed greatly in the last 2 and half years or so. And I feel fans are a bit harsh on him. Agree to disagree on this one.

Aye, last season and the one before were his best, no doubt, but he stills fall a bit short for me. I have no issue with Nani staying at the club or even starting, but I can see why the fans and the manager are not wholly enthusiastic about him.

I don't think he's being sidelined because of the contract issue - quite simply his form isn't good enough to merit a regular start ahead of Valencia.

The fact is being good over a couple of seasons is fine - but he seems to want parity with the Vidic's and Rooney's who perform well week in week out barring injury. He's had his injury issues to be fair but he's not the man you can look to for a big performance in the big games because of his unpredictability. Valencia meanwhile offers pretty much the same week in week out, and while not always outstanding he's rarely poor.

I personally don't see that he'd get into Real Madrid's starting line up, and I just can't see why they'd go out and pay big money for him and offer big wages just so they can rotate. They have players to do that with already, never mind who they bring in in the summer from rivals/abroad.

If he goes he'll get offered mega bucks to join a Russian club or maybe PSG.

Young starting at Chelsea after a 2 month layoff, Welbeck starting on the left should tell you that his not being in the team has much more behind it than his performances.

Reports are he's demanding 130k, much lower than what Rooney is on so its not about parity with the best earners either. no one really knows what the problem with the contract is.

Real or any other team that buys him wont have to pay big bucks simply because his contract is almost at the end, wages of 130k arent shocking for the Reals of this world.

Aye, last season and the one before were his best, no doubt, but he stills fall a bit short for me. I have no issue with Nani staying at the club or even starting, but I can see why the fans and the manager are not wholly enthusiastic about him.

He's much better than Young though Moses and given we're unlikely to shift to a narrow formation permanently anytime soon, it'd make sense to have 3 natural wingers in the squad. If we go on and replace him, it'l cost a hefty sum and big wages to get someone of similar quality in.

Exactly. Its almost inevitable he'd go for less even though both contracts are at the same stage. Thats what makes this even worse. We'l be selling a big player for peanuts.

Having watched the game last night, i tried to get a sense of what was happening with Nani. As the teams were lining up he looked unhappy and appeared disinterested. This showed in his general play and it doesnt surprise me that Sir Alex blamed him for the goals, this is not something that Sir Alex does by singling out a player for a mistake.

I think overall his body language suggested that he couldnt wait for the final whistle. Everyone expected him to step up a level after Ronaldo left and sadly this did not materialise.

I fully expect him to leave in the january transfer window, barring any injuries, i cant see him getting much game time.

Exactly. Its almost inevitable he'd go for less even though both contracts are at the same stage. Thats what makes this even worse. We'l be selling a big player for peanuts.

Why does that bother people.As been already said that we've a history of not getting top dollar for our players , Ronaldo excluded.

Having watched the game last night, i tried to get a sense of what was happening with Nani. As the teams were lining up he looked unhappy and appeared disinterested. This showed in his general play and it doesnt surprise me that Sir Alex blamed him for the goals, this is not something that Sir Alex does by singling out a player for a mistake.

I think overall his body language suggested that he couldnt wait for the final whistle. Everyone expected him to step up a level after Ronaldo left and sadly this did not materialise.

I fully expect him to leave in the january transfer window, barring any injuries, i cant see him getting much game time.

He certainly has stepped up since Ronaldo has left. Maybe not to the level a lot think he could reach with his ability but, he certainly has. Lest we forget till very recently he has been thought of one of the best wingers in the league.

He's much better than Young though Moses and given we're unlikely to shift to a narrow formation permanently anytime soon, it'd make sense to have 3 natural wingers in the squad. If we go on and replace him, it'l cost a hefty sum and big wages to get someone of similar quality in.

He can do things Young can't do, but you have to ask yourself why Young started at Chelsea. It's not because posters on redcafe are overly harsh.

He can do things Young can't do, but you have to ask yourself why Young started at Chelsea. It's not because posters on redcafe are overly harsh.

I (personally) think Young starting over Nani was nothing to do with footballing reasons, it looks like things have gone beyond that at this stage.

I (personally) think Young starting over Nani was nothing to do with footballing reasons, it looks like things have gone beyond that at this stage.

I don't necessarily disagree but you'd also have to say that Nani has lost his place reasonably frequently in his time here, when there were no apparent issues with his contract.

Fergie is not above picking a team for non footballing reasons but if it's at that point he'd not play again.

I don't necessarily disagree but you'd also have to say that Nani has lost his place reasonably frequently in his time here, when there were no apparent issues with his contract.

True, but you can contribute a lot of that to injuries and the fact that we have just been well stocked on the wings for the most part. The last few weeks have been to the extreme though, playing strikers on the wings, playing a winger who has been absent for two months against the league leaders.

I don't know, none of us do, but to me it just doesn't seem as simple as him being dropped for playing poor anymore (partly because he didn't actually play poor in his previous two starts, at all), there is something beyond that in the mix.

Young starting at Chelsea after a 2 month layoff, Welbeck starting on the left should tell you that his not being in the team has much more behind it than his performances.

Reports are he's demanding 130k, much lower than what Rooney is on so its not about parity with the best earners either. no one really knows what the problem with the contract is.

Real or any other team that buys him wont have to pay big bucks simply because his contract is almost at the end, wages of 130k arent shocking for the Reals of this world.

I'm not sure I agree. Bottom line is his form hasn't been that good. I don't think Fergie would leave a player out purely because of contract issues, but I guess its impossible to know.

£130k a week is £6.5 million a year x 4 years is £26 million. Plus any fee they'd get for him - £20 million or so I'd think (maybe more from the big spenders in Russia). I can see why United may want to consider letting him go and investing elsewhere in the squad.

As for Real - put simply I can't see that he's any better than what they've already got. Why pay him that sort of money when you've got lads at the club who can do a job rotating into the side on a third of the money. Callejon is a good example - a fair few goals last year and happy to warm the bench.

That money could be better spend by Real - Isco, as an example, looks a star in the making and would cost about the same and less in wages.

I wouldn't read too much into Young coming in for that game. That for me was a very Fergie like thing to do, especially recently. Look at last season where against City, it was Nani coming back from injury who he chose over Young and Valencia who'd both been in form.

I dont think it had to do with his performances either. SAF has even played Welbeck on the left ahead of Nani. I think SAF's made it pretty clear that he's not going to get much game time unless he signs the contract.

I'm not sure I agree. Bottom line is his form hasn't been that good. I don't think Fergie would leave a player out purely because of contract issues, but I guess its impossible to know.

£130k a week is £6.5 million a year x 4 years is £26 million. Plus any fee they'd get for him - £20 million or so I'd think (maybe more from the big spenders in Russia). I can see why United may want to consider letting him go and investing elsewhere in the squad.

As for Real - put simply I can't see that he's any better than what they've already got. Why pay him that sort of money when you've got lads at the club who can do a job rotating into the side on a third of the money. Callejon is a good example - a fair few goals last year and happy to warm the bench.

That money could be better spend by Real - Isco, as an example, looks a star in the making and would cost about the same and less in wages.

Its impossible to know for sure, yes, but a good guess can certainly be made when even a striker is preferred on the left above him.

Callejon or any other backup that Real have arent close to being Nani's standard though and for a club of Real's stature, 130k isnt much specially at the fee he's likely to go for. Nani's as good a player if not better than Di Maria imo. Anyways, not much sense going into all that. We'l know i guess if he's put for sale in jan.

I dont think it had to do with his performances either. SAF has even played Welbeck on the left ahead of Nani. I think SAF's made it pretty clear that he's not going to get much game time unless he signs the contract.

I think we should have a tinfoil hat thread in this years caf elections. If the boss has made it clear then he didn't cc me.

It's the clear bit that I have issue with, and instead of playing games just explain why it's so clear to you?

I would have had it not been for this:

If the boss has made it clear then he didn't cc me.

Anyways, as i said, Young starting the Chelsea game after months out due to injury didnt seem normal. It was a tough away game against the league leaders, surprising to see him thrown in straightaway. Also, the occasions where Welbeck has started out wide this season while Nani's been on the bench.

SAF laying into Nani post match was very uncharacteristic and surprised me. He rarely singles out individuals and puts all blame for a loss on them. I think its gone further than performances now. He either signs a contract and gets his way back into the team or stay marginalised till we get a buyer.

It's ridicuous to think that there is no reason to drop Nani other than contract issues.

It's ridicuous to think that there is no reason to drop Nani other than contract issues.

Rotation has always been there, its not surprising. But, the reasons i mentioned lead me to believe the issue is deeper than that.

Tbh though whilst at the start of the season I could understand dropping him I would definitely not say that Valencia has played that well so far this season so I don't think there's that much justification in leaving Nani out because of form, although maybe on balance with work rate I could understand it given the tough fixtures we've had recently.

Rotation has always been there, its not surprising. But, the reasons i mentioned lead me to believe the issue is deeper than that.

Nani has appeared in 6 of 9 games, about his best ratio for a season.

An 18 million pound international can't be chosen ahead of Nani on merit?

And Welbeck on the left does annoy me, but so did Ole on the right and Wayne on the left, it's something SAF does.

As for bollocking the slly mistake. He has done this before, once or twice just as unfairly too.

Why would SAF marginalise a player he's going to sell? All that would do is further alienate the player, make our matchday squad team weaker and ensure a smaller selling price.

Far from clear.

Exactly, even in the form of his life he was displaced by Park, now he is in relatively poor form and people seem to think its only contract issues keeping him out.

Tbh though whilst at the start of the season I could understand dropping him I would definitely not say that Valencia has played that well so far this season so I don't think there's that much justification in leaving Nani out because of form, although maybe on balance with work rate I could understand it given the tough fixtures we've had recently.

The thing about Valencia and I am speaking from a personal point of view is that although Nani's ceiling may be higher, Valencia works back really well, compliments Rafael and is tactically very dsiciplined. That is very important with a young squad and as I said earlier in a team that is in flux.

I think the biggest point is that we'd be better with a Nani-equivalent left winger, rather than persevering with Nani himself. It's quite clear that if they're both fit, Valencia starts over Nani for Fergie. And to be honest, Nani is FAR too good a player to not be starting regularly for a top club.

The left side is still up for grabs. Welbeck is pretty pants out there compared to in the middle, and Young is right footed and hasn't been all that consistent for us. Giggs also doesn't really work out there, and I don't think we have any talented wingers coming through the ranks.

So, hypothetically, if we could sell Nani for a decent sum and spend that directly on a truly left sided player - it would improve our first XI and squad.

Of course, that money would be better spent on an actual midfield, but you know what I mean.

Nani has appeared in 6 of 9 games, about his best ratio for a season.

An 18 million pound international can't be chosen ahead of Nani on merit?

And Welbeck on the left does annoy me, but so did Ole on the right and Wayne on the left, it's something SAF does.

As for bollocking the slly mistake. He has done this before, once or twice just as unfairly too.

Why would SAF marginalise a player he's going to sell? All that would do is further alienate the player, make our matchday squad team weaker and ensure a smaller selling price.

Far from clear.

How many of the 6 has been starts?

The 18mil international coming back from a 2 month injury layoff being put into a big game straightaway is what am surprised at. Players from that lengthy a lay off are generally eased in, dont you agree?

Agreed. Not as consistently though without much reason, with Rooney it was to accommodate Ronaldo more centrally.

Very rarely does he do it though.

Not if he's trying to get the player to sign a contract.

Which is where i think comes in.

How many of the 6 has been starts?

The 18mil international coming back from a 2 month injury layoff being put into a big game straightaway is what am surprised at. Players from that lengthy a lay off are generally eased in, dont you agree?

Agreed. Not as consistently though without much reason, with Rooney it was to accommodate Ronaldo more centrally.

Very rarely does he do it though.

Not if he's trying to get the player to sign a contract.

Which is where i think comes in.

It doesn't matter how many were starts, the point is he NEVER played every game.

Maybe all correct, but still not really clear that it is contract related. Young might have started because what he gives doesn't vary so much and he does what he is told.

Surely all our posts are what we think? Let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.