Luis Nani | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but some fans do genuinely just fecking hate him (not really on the caf, to be fair).

For me, the good far outweighs the bad when he's on form, I think I'm just at a stage where I learn to accept the few moments of inevitable stupidity in games. Besides, an on form confident Nani probably would've actually beaten his man at the end there.

He needs a solid run in the team to get back to his best, but sadly that doesn't look like it will happen. Also, I thought he was one of the better players at the Euro's and thought he'd no doubt be a regular starter for us in the coming season.

I happen believe he is worth what he is asking for and would be shocked if we got rid of him over that. Although I might not be coming across here as a Nani fan, tbh that couldn't be further from the truth, I rate him very high and would love him to sign. feck knows what is going on?

His consistency was very good for a lengthy span of almost 2 seasons. It has dipped though since last season, i agree. He needs to pick it up but then with him now sidelined because of the contract issue, he isnt going to become consistent without playing.

Regarding the big 2 in Spain, i agree on Barca not wanting him, they have enough attacking talent. I do think Real might be in for him though specially if they can get rid of Kaka. He'd suit them and give them chance to rotate that front 4.

I don't think he's being sidelined because of the contract issue - quite simply his form isn't good enough to merit a regular start ahead of Valencia.

The fact is being good over a couple of seasons is fine - but he seems to want parity with the Vidic's and Rooney's who perform well week in week out barring injury. He's had his injury issues to be fair but he's not the man you can look to for a big performance in the big games because of his unpredictability. Valencia meanwhile offers pretty much the same week in week out, and while not always outstanding he's rarely poor.

I personally don't see that he'd get into Real Madrid's starting line up, and I just can't see why they'd go out and pay big money for him and offer big wages just so they can rotate. They have players to do that with already, never mind who they bring in in the summer from rivals/abroad.

If he goes he'll get offered mega bucks to join a Russian club or maybe PSG.

I don't think I've let on that I do think it's alright though, I already said last nights decision was idiotic from him. He frustrates the shit out of me too sometimes, but yeah, maybe I'm just more willing to accept that than others I guess.

In a more settled and solid team Nani could be perfect, but we have so many areas of the pitch that seems in flux that Nani is a luxury that we maybe can't afford just now. Talking in general, not last night.

Madrid won't take him unless he grows a brain and is able to play his A game week in week out. They've already got consistently better players than Nani who can play in his position.

And if he does sort it out, we won't be willing to sell him. Right now his ball retention is not even poor, it pretty much doesn't exist, so I can't see Spanish giants being interested. Even Madrid who play counter-attacking football.

Such a shame, I was eagerly waiting to sing some praises here after his goal, but he was utter garbage afterwards.

Absolutely. Bit like Darren Bent.

ridiculous and ill informed. If you think Darren Bent is in the same league as the likes of Greaves and Shearer you need to start watching more football......actually start watching football

Madrid won't take him unless he grows a brain and is able to play his A game week in week out. They've already got consistently better players than Nani who can play in his position.

And if he does sort it out, we won't be willing to sell him. Right now his ball retention is not even poor, it pretty much doesn't exist, so I can't see Spanish giants being interested. Even Madrid who play counter-attacking football.

Such a shame, I was eagerly waiting to sing some praises here after his goal, but he was utter garbage afterwards.

It seems the daft comments have no end:confused:

His inconsistency stems from childishly giving away ball and choosing the wrong options - It's certainly not lack of footballing talent, which we all know has never been in doubt.

Sults, who do you consider the best wide players in the world? Apart from Ronaldo, someone like Di Maria is considered right up there. He often gives the ball away cheaply. He's never going to be as "correct" in his usage of the ball as someone like Mesut Ozil. Same with Robben who sometimes just refuses to pass the ball and forgets those around him. Yet they're considered among the best wide players. I don't see how Nani is any different for me. Why is it that Giggs when played further forward gives the ball away 20 times and lays on a goal one time, and we accept the trade-off?

I do think people are very harsh on Nani. He's a class act and if goes to a team like Madrid he will be fantastic there.

Nani compared to Maradona, Bent compared to Shearer. This thread has finally reached tipping point.

Why is it that Giggs when played further forward gives the ball away 20 times and lays on a goal one time, and we accept the trade-off?

Are we comparing Giggs to Nani again? Giggs was nowhere near as frustrating as Nani. The lack of football brain could never have been aimed at Giggs.

It seems the daft comments have no end:confused:

The scary thing is those comments are no longer daft. Anyway, it's your opinion so I won't call you daft, but I know what I see. And that was horrific ball play for a player of his quality.

Are we comparing Giggs to Nani again? Giggs was nowhere near as frustrating as Nani. The lack of football brain could never have been aimed at Giggs.

I'm talking about Giggs of the last couple of years. But my point is not to compare them. More to suggest that people are less accepting of Nani's mistakes as compared to our other players.

The scary thing is those comments are no longer daft. Anyway, it's your opinion so I won't call you daft, but I know what I see. And that was horrific ball play for a player of his quality.

Ah but you weren't referring to 'that ball'...were you? The suggestion that his ball retention is non existent leads me to believe you didn't actually watch the game but are basing your comments on an irrational dislike of Nani.

For the record I didn't call you daft...just the comments.If you want to equate the two then that's your prerogative

And we are talking about a guy who's nearly 40:lol:

He'd be mint here if he grew a brain, concentrated on playing football and earned a new contract on merit.

On merit he does deserve a contract though. He should have gotten one after the 2010/11 season and even inconsistent he is a better winger than young and on par with valencia(arguable, personally think he is better).

It seems a lot of people have been swayed by what happened in extra time with regards to Nani's performance. Leaving him giving away the ball in the 94th minute aside, he actually had a very good game scoring a lovely goal in the process. What did happen though in extra time was that without Ando, with Turnicliffe looking lost, and with Chelsea's main attackers on the pitch we were completely overrun as a unit. Not sure what people were expecting in that scenario when he was given the ball as he was always under pressure and received the ball in an unfavorable situation. Even Welbeck before he came off was really struggling for the same reason.

On merit he does deserve a contract though. He should have gotten one after the 2010/11 season and even inconsistent he is a better winger than young and on par with valencia(arguable, personally think he is better).

Different wingers;he and Valencia. Valencia isn't as 2 footed,more direct though.It's great to have 2 such options.Nightmare for defences.Glad we've got them and hope they play together for a while

Ah but you weren't referring to 'that ball'...were you? The suggestion that his ball retention is non existent leads me to believe you didn't actually watch the game but are basing your comments on an irrational dislike of Nani.

For the record I didn't call you daft...just the comments.If you want to equate the two then that's your prerogative

Irrational dislike? Believe me I'm above that and had no problems with defending him among my footballing mates when he deserved it. However, if you watched the yeasterday's game and say he kept the ball well then you're basing your comments on irrationaly rational love for Nani.

As for yesterday, I was bloody sure while watching him being stripped of the ball time and time again that he would still be miraculously defended on here after the game (by some that is). Can't understand it, why can't people judge someone as objectively as possible? Surely no football fan could say after yesterday that he played well?

I think it's a bit unfair to compare Nani's performances to the "top wingers in the world" when we dont watch them on a consistent basis. They may not make as many dumb mistakes as Nani does but I would argue they can be just as frustrating. Take Robben's performance against Chelsea in the CL final. He did the same thing over and over despite the fact it wasn't working and hindered Bayern's overall play. His night was summed up by that penalty miss.

What's clear with Nani is that when he doesn't get a run of games, this is the part of his game we will see and it's incredibly frustrating. Another takeaway from yesterday's game is how he changes his play based on who is around him. Anytime Anderson was around him, he looked to play quickly. For the majority of his teammates, he elected to dilly dally on the ball and force the play. Nani wasn't as bad as some make out. He just doesn't take full advantage of the opportunity at times.

Overall, I think he'll stay but I'm purely assuming his form will pick up and the contract issue will be resolved. He definitely has a part to play here but he needs more game time if he's ever going to reach some consistent form. Problem is, he's unlikely to get a run of games which compounds this dilemma.

Different wingers;he and Valencia. Valencia isn't as 2 footed,more direct though.It's great to have 2 such options.Nightmare for defences.Glad we've got them and hope they play together for a while

My point was that on merit he deserves a contract as he is our best winger or second best winger.Think nani gives you more in attack while valencia balances that out with a better defensive game. Still great to have them both here.

Irrational dislike? Believe me I'm above that and had no problems with defending him among my footballing mates when he deserved it. However, if you watched the yeasterday's game and say he kept the ball well then you're basing your comments on irrationaly rational love for Nani.

As for yesterday, I was bloody sure while watching him being stripped of the ball time and time again that he would still be miraculously defended on here after the game (by some that is). Can't understand it, why can't people judge someone as objectively as possible? Surely no football fan could say after yesterday that he played well?

Can someone be irrationaly rational? If it equates to being rational then that's me.

I stand by my observation that you never watched that game. As for being objective. Wow that's a bit rich on your part:wenger:

I'm talking about Giggs of the last couple of years. But my point is not to compare them. More to suggest that people are less accepting of Nani's mistakes as compared to our other players.

So you wonder why a young 17 million pound signing who should be approaching his peak is not given the same slack as someone winding down his career after busting his bollox at the top level for 21 seasons? Really?

And don't use double standards, please. Lengthy period out of the game didn't stop people from lambasting Valencia and even -ffs- Young, whereas Nani's what,3 weeks in and out is nothing compared to Ashley's injury break. Could find the quotations in Valencia and Young's threads but I'm not that arsed.

Hmm I just read the comments I dont see why there is a fuss. He's right and I'd imagine Sir Alex would have said the same thing if Valencia lost the ball in the same situation. Obviously there was plenty of time to defend properly and get the ball back and other mistakes that came before the penalty but the manager isnt going to lambast inexperienced young defenders... Unfortunately we might need them at some point and they'd be even more useless with shattered confidence.

So you wonder why a young 17 million pound signing is not given the same slack as someone winding down his career after busting his bollox at the top level for 21 seasons? Really?

It's the same with a lot of our other players. Valencia has to be utterly useless before anyone criticizes him despite him consistently doing the same thing unsuccessfully again and again. And I judge them all the same way. Giggs might have been here for ages but if he's playing for Manchester United he has to perform at a certain level.

But it's not a big deal. Players do often get a stigma attached to them that is hard to get rid off. Like with Rafael and the "Brazillian so can't defend" bullshit. Or the lot that think Anderson can't pass.

And don't use double standards, please. Lengthy period out of the game didn't stop people from lambasting Valencia and even -ffs- Young, whereas Nani's what,3 weeks in and out is nothing compared to Ashley's injury break. Could find the quotations in Valencia and Young's threads but I'm not that arsed.

Seems you're not arsed about a lot of things like fachts for example:smirk:

If you prefer the workmanlike wingers such as Young and Valencia over Nani then just be honest and say so.Don't try and cloud the arguement with baseless criticisms

Hmm I just read the comments I dont see why there is a fuss. He's right and I'd imagine Sir Alex would have said the same thing if Valencia lost the ball in the same situation. Obviously there was plenty of time to defend properly and get the ball back and other mistakes that came before the penalty but the manager isnt going to lambast inexperienced young defenders... Unfortunately we might need them at some point and they'd be even more useless with shattered confidence.

Fergie tends to not criticize his players in public generally. Maybe Nani's bad attitude behind the scenes or whatever is going on did affect Fergie's willingness to criticize. Maybe not.

And regarding the harsh treatment, personally I was referring to fans rather than Fergie.

Can someone be irrationaly rational? If it equates to being rational then that's me.

I stand by my observation that you never watched that game. As for being objective. Wow that's a bit rich on your part:wenger:

Actually it's not. For all my flaws, and there are plenty, I've never been subjective which you would know if he knew me. Especially when it comes to our very own players and as I said, will have no problems with praising him when he eventually finds form.

This 'poor Nani' stuff is a bit tiresome. Most, if not all, criticism he gets is valid and justified, not the result of some irrational agenda against him.

All players get it, even the best, Rooney, Valencia, Giggs...

Fergie tends to not criticize his players in public generally. Maybe Nani's bad attitude behind the scenes or whatever is going on did affect Fergie's willingness to criticize. Maybe not.

And regarding the harsh treatment, personally I was referring to fans rather than Fergie.

He never cricticised Nani.

It's the same with a lot of our other players. Valencia has to be utterly useless before anyone criticizes him despite him consistently doing the same thing unsuccessfully again and again. And I judge them all the same way. Giggs might have been here for ages but if he's playing for Manchester United he has to perform at a certain level.

But it's not a big deal. Players do often get a stigma attached to them that is hard to get rid off. Like with Rafael and the "Brazillian so can't defend" bullshit. Or the lot that think Anderson can't pass.

I'm afraid you must take context in, if Giggs was looking for a new contract on increased wages as opposed to possibly in his last season and being a peripheral figure then people might be more critical of his mistakes, unless you are sayoing that Nani is only a peripheral squad member, in which case the grief is a bit much.

As for saying Rafael is not able to defend, show me these people, I need new idiots to laugh at.

Actually it's not. For all my flaws, and there are plenty, I've never been subjective which you would know if he knew me. Especially when it comes to our very own players and as I said, will have no problems with praising him when he eventually finds form.

Oh I'm not judging you Tomus just your posts.;)

I look forward to praise for Nani ...when he earns it of course;)

I'm afraid you must take context in, if Giggs was looking for a new contract on increased wages as opposed to possibly in his last season and being a peripheral figure then people might be more critical of his mistakes, unless you are sayoing that Nani is only a peripheral squad member, in which case the grief is a bit much.

As for saying Rafael is not able to defend, show me these people, I need new idiots to laugh at.

TBF it's taken a couple of seasons for him to learn the art of consistent defending....just that some were not willing to give him an opportunity to learn.It seems we have to have a Neville/Irwin/Parker all rolled into one immediately or they're all shit

All I would say about Nani is how many games has he played for us? How can you be as talented as he is, play as many games for us and still have question marks about whether you contribute enough? The critics have a point.

I think he is going too.

No doubt about that. But I feel United fans, here at least, just haven't taken to Nani for one reason or another. Even when he was among the top few wide players in the league two seasons in a row, there were still people who would beat on about inconsistency. Some things just stick sometimes and it takes a player doing something phenomenal to get rid of it, which I guess he hasn't.

Regarding Rafael, opposition fans seem incapable of judging him on the basis of his merits. But even our own fans apart from the last few weeks have been very harsh on him in the past. Then you have fans who put De Gea in the top 10 keepers in the WORLD. :lol: And he doesn't even start every game for us. How do you explain that? Basically, football is a game of emotion and fans don't always think rationally.

All I would say about Nani is how many games has he played for us? How can you be as talented as he is, play as many games for us and still have question marks about whether you contribute enough? The critics have a point.

I think he is going too.

Same was said about Bowles,Marsh,Hudson,Le tiss et al. There will always be players of such ilk who differ opinion.It's what we are as people.You'll never 2 people exactlythe same, why expect footballers to be any different.

The ultimate skill as a manager is to marry disparate talents into a team.I think SAF has done OK

No doubt about that. But I feel United fans, here at least, just haven't taken to Nani for one reason or another. Even when he was among the top few wide players in the league two seasons in a row, there were still people who would beat on about inconsistency. Some things just stick sometimes and it takes a player doing something phenomenal to get rid of it, which I guess he hasn't.

The reason is fairly obvious to me, it's not just random dislike.

And I'd argue he has done phenomenal things, but they don't mark progress the way we'd like them to. If Danny scored that goal last night, we'd all be delighted and there would be talk of him kicking on etc. With Nani, we know that he'll just feck up something simple sooner or later. That's the issue. When he did things like that in the first or second seasons even detractors ate their words; now they won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.