Luis Nani | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw the interview. Can't see nani sticking around much longer. He's been good for us but I can't honestly say if he does go I'd miss him. Still can't quite forget when against WH he fouled that guy then threw himself to the ground as if shot. Despicable.

Must feel the same way about Young,Rooney and RVP.

Fergie should get over himself. Very poor form. Nani's game falls and raises with his confidence and comments like this aren't going to do Nani's confidence any good.

Nani will be sorely missed and what is even worse, he's probably doing the right thing by leaving. It pains me to say it, but Manchester United never got Nani. On his day, he's simply awesome and absolutely spectacular but with Fergie treating him appallingly, his development is bound to stall.

I don't understand how he was treated poorly.

He got injured at the end of 2011 and was out for a while, and by the time he came back we were locked in the title race with City so couldn't really afford to give him an extended run in the side that he needs to get up to speed.

Then he began fannying around on his contract and has (allegedly) been told that if he's off at the end of the season then he can't be guaranteed game time because Fergie has to think of the team going forward.

Where is the mistreatment in that?

(as an aside, I really like Nani and I wouldn't lay the blame for the loss at his feet)

Harsh interview from Fergie but Laillaini is talking some absolute rubbish. He hasn't been treated poorly at all.

Having said that, this interview from Fergie seals his fate IMO.

I really like Nani, but it looks like his time is up.
Wonder what he's done to piss Fergie off... His performances havent been THAT bad.. (not talking about this season.. the problem started before that)

Well, I don't know what's the big deal is.

Apparently, there were reports about amicable meetings with Fergie and Nani's camp and Fergie saying that he'll be given more chances as soon as the contract situations is cleared up. Nani's agents are working with United on a contract and that's the stumbling block for now.

As for the criticism of performance, it's a valid point and it wasn't overstated. He also said that Nani is an individualistic player and Man Utd will not discourage such attempts although he could have taken a safety first approach.

I hope Nani sees the light and agrees quickly to a contract.

His performances havent been THAT bad.. (not talking about this season.. the problem started before that)

It all went bad around the time he turned up with that fecking idiotic N shaved into the side of his head... and then we lost that game to relegation bound Blackburn.

Not saying the two are linked, but then I'm not saying they aren't linked either.

If he signs the contract that been given to him, everything will be forgotten. Criticizing a player for a mistake in uncharacteristic from SAF but with the contract saga dragging on, i guess it just spilled over.

We've put ourselves in a poor situation though. He'l go for half the price he should given his contract situation.

He's a goner.

Fantastic player. I thought he did very well last night in general. His level dropped after Ando went off and Chelsea brought on their big players, because he seemed to be our only outlet which made it hard for him.

Big players have gone before and we have moved on. I think the contract negotiations have really pissed united off to be honest. There is much more to this than just losing the ball at the corner flag.

Just saw the interview. Can't see nani sticking around much longer. He's been good for us but I can't honestly say if he does go I'd miss him. Still can't quite forget when against WH he fouled that guy then threw himself to the ground as if shot. Despicable.

Wow, still crying over an incident from over 4 seasons ago. Get a grip..

From his perspective he really should leave.It's not good when your manager openly criticizes you like that and even if by a miracle he were to sign the contract then I don't think he'd get playing time (considering the signings made and how the team is changing its style) to satisfy him.

Harsh on Nani. However, that wont make things better between him and Fergie and I doubt he is willing to accept the blame. If it doesnt get sorted quickly, he will be off very soon

Think it's harsh on nani, he should have taken the ball to the corner but none of our players were trying that. Fletcher was helping nani come inside, giggs wasn't telling anyone to take it to the corner. So to single him out was harsh imo.

Also would say fergie hardly helped by selecting no senior players on the bench, we didn't need to go as extreme as Chelsea but just having someone like carrick who could have come in and helped close the game out, rather than tunniclife who for me did nothing as he didn't shield the defence and played relatively high, probably would have seen us through.

But tbh as weird as it sounds this for me still hints that fergie wants to keep nani. If you're thinking about selling a player there's no point in slating them publically, esp as we'd be in a weaker position anyway given his contract is nearly up. Where as if you're just frustrated by them and want to make a point to them then it's quite a good way.

I've just read the comments (predictably there was no mention of me). I think SAF's absolutely right in what he's saying, Nani showed a distinct lack of intelligence in trying to attack the Chelsea defence with so little time on the clock. All players make mistakes, but some things are just inexcusable, this being one of them; a schoolboy error, completely pointless, stupid and arrogant. It's fortunate that this was only an League Cup game, a relatively painless loss; had Nani had made such a blunder in a CL tie then I doubt he'd play for United again, SAF's anger at the player is obvious and understandable; I'm surprised he's made it public, but the manager rightly has no patience for unintelligent players, there should be no room for such at the club and Nani, despite his outstanding talent, repeatedly fails to build on his experience in ways that should be expected of a top class player.

I doubt SAF said what he did out of frustration, there is usually a method to his madness, and man management has always been his speciality. Evidently it needed saying. I'm sure it's to do with protecting the younger players, I'm sure he'll have a word with Nani separately.

I doubt SAF said what he did out of frustration, there is usually a method to his madness, and man management has always been his speciality. Evidently it needed saying. I'm sure it's to do with protecting the younger players, I'm sure he'll have a word with Nani separately.

I wouldn't be so sure. It seems to me that SAF's efforts towards guiding Nani have come to an end; these comments don't have any air of coming from a man within whom hope still resides. If he's protecting the younger squad members then he's doing it at the expense of a player he has no further plans for.

I wouldn't be so sure. It seems to me that SAF's efforts towards guiding Nani have come to an end; these comments don't have any air of coming from a man within whom hope still resides. If he's protecting the younger squad members then he's doing it at the expense of a player he has no further plans for.

I am a man within whom hope no longer resides. And we can smell our own. SAF still has hope. Believe me.

Think SAF is worried about where Nani s head is right now.Thought he did ok yesterday.

Other players made costly mistakes in the past but didnt get blamed by Fergie. To blame him for the penalty / loss is unnecessary and unfair imo and shows that there is something going on behind closed doors

Blaming the loss on Nani is harsh. However, I do not understand why so many posters thought Nani was OK yesterday. I thought he was terrible. When he received the ball he invariably held it for too long, ensuring that the Chelsea defense is well organized. He would then most likely either run at the defender and lose the ball, or try a lazy cross without moving, which would be blocked. He was slowing down our attack too much. (Yes, the goal was an exception.) Frankly, I realized yesterday that I won't be too bothered if we decide to sell him.

Other players made costly mistakes in the past but didnt get blamed by Fergie. To blame him for the penalty / loss is unnecessary and unfair imo and shows that there is something going on behind closed doors

Definitely. Our players have cost us plenty of times. Fergie never makes an issue of it publicly. I remember Giggs once trying to overplay just a few years back (maybe against Liverpool?) and it cost us the game. Shit happens, it's hardly as if Nani gave it away in his own half/box either.

Selling Nani now would go down as a blunder in the Jaap Stam mould. Maybe even a bigger one.

I really do hope he stays and we can get the proper Nani back from 12 - 18 months ago. The most exciting player we have at United.

Selling Nani now would go down as a blunder in the Jaap Stam mould. Maybe even a bigger one.

I really do hope he stays and we can get the proper Nani back from 12 - 18 months ago. The most exciting player we have at United.
Oh, Trigg.

Love how you removed Nani as one of your three MOTM choices. :smirk:

I did, mainly because I forgot how good Giggs was, that's all. I've changed my choice plenty of times.

He was a bit up and down tonight. As for not taking the ball into the corner, yeah he probably should have had the experience to know the right thing to do there but plenty of players made mistakes on that one. Right beforehand Chicharito lazily allowed himself to be caught offside and robbed us of a decent out ball. These things happen.

Good point, but these things get picked up far, far quicker with Nani than any other player, for whatever reasons.

Anyway, the more I think back, the more Fergie's comments frustrate me. Managers shouldn't criticize their players in public like that, in fact he's the absolute master of not doing so, I just don't get it, maybe there's some logic underneath it but it just looked like he was pissed off and didn't care anymore.

I think he's gone, probably for pretty cheap. I reckon he'll tear up Serie A (at a guess) and we'll be heavily regretting the sale.

Nani had a poor game. It was a typical Nani who isn't getting games performance. Tries to do far too much himself to prove he's brilliant, which ends up with him getting robbed far too often, holding onto the ball for far too long and trying stupid tricks in unnecessary situations. This stupidity culminated in him (along with 2-3 others) costing us, although to be fair it could easily be argued at 2-2 we'd have been staring down the barrel of a 3 or 4-2 defeat without his individual brilliance.

As I said yesterday we either have to play him as often as a Rooney or a Carrick and watch him turn into the World Class player he was 2010-2011, or let him go and watch him turn into that player for someone else.

I am only hoping that Fergie is merely playing hardball because he believes no other top club would pay him as much as we have offered, plus a size-able transfer fee. The obvious problem with this is he could comfortably wait his contract out and get a massive payday.

Getting rid of Nani would be a big step backwards in my opinion.

Nani is really really fustrating. He has great skill and can do special things, but he's really fustrating!

I can see him off by next summer if not in Jan. Someone like Jamez or Isco his replacement.

Either Nani is half way out of the door, or Fergie criticised him to take the heat off the youngsters, knowing that Nani can take it. Either way, I was very surprised to hear Fergie single somebody out.

I must admit, I was more annoyed with Hernandez at the time for being offside when the ball was cleared!

We have no other player in our squad who can score a goal like that. He's definitely our most exciting player to watch, for me anyway, I think that's why I like him so much.

Unfortunately there is a thin line between "exciting" and "frustrating" when he's off form.

I did, mainly because I forgot how good Giggs was, that's all. I've changed my choice plenty of times.

Good point, but these things get picked up far, far quicker with Nani than any other player, for whatever reasons.

Anyway, the more I think back, the more Fergie's comments frustrate me. Managers shouldn't criticize their players in public like that, in fact he's the absolute master of not doing so, I just don't get it, maybe there's some logic underneath it but it just looked like he was pissed off and didn't care anymore.

I think he's gone, probably for pretty cheap. I reckon he'll tear up Serie A (at a guess) and we'll be heavily regretting the sale.

For me its because he's clearly very talented. People expect more from him, rightly or wrongly. The problem for me comes when a player is very capable, but lacks consistency.

As for him moving on, he may do well in Serie A, but its a lesser league. He's at an age where he's probably not likely to improve much, if at all in terms of ability and he's had plenty of opportunities to prove his worth. If he's sold then it'll likely be because he thinks he's worth more than he is in terms of a new contract.

And, other than Jaap Stam I can't think of many players who've been deemed "surplus to requirements" and enjoyed any sort of sustained success.

I think he's a good player and he has some skills that stands out like his crosses, set pieces and dribbling. He's also lacking a bit of stuff like physics and ability to win back the ball/defend. If he leave I hope we get a lot of money and that he goes to a place like Italy or Russia so things can calm down. I don't think we owe him anything and the same goes for him.

I think he's a good player and he has some skills that stands out like his crosses, set pieces and dribbling. He's also lacking a bit of stuff like physics and ability to win back the ball/defend. If he leave I hope we get a lot of money and that he goes to a place like Italy or Russia so things can calm down. I don't think we owe him anything and the same goes for him.

18 months left on the contract, not going to happen.

Already rejectd a move to russia it seems.

juve, inter, or psg will get him on the cheap (in terms of fee).

In terms of what we could sell him for it depends he's definitely as good as Nasri and he went for 24 mil, we bought Young for 18mil and Nani is better than him so no reason we shouldn't be able to get at least what we paid, although our recent track record for selling players bar Ronaldo isn't great.

I haven't seen anything from Nani on the pitch though to suggest his head is elsewhere, he's not in form but he's not slacking or anything. Defensively you have to consider that compared to someone like Mata, Hazard, Silva, Nasri he does better/more than them, there are few attacking players of his kind who defend really well, that's not to excuse him but just to put it in perspective. I highly doubt we could sign anyone who is similar to him that would do better defensively and if we do move to more of a 433 it should alleviate some of the defensive burden on the wider players.

And Fergie is still playing him, maybe not as much as he normally would but he's not been completely frozen out so I think Fergie would like to keep him if he could.

One thing for Nani that always frustrates me as it looks negative is his goal celebrations. The jump thing is cool but his other celebrations are so individualistic, I think if people saw him celebrating with the other players it'd help his image a bit because off the pitch whenever you see stuff on mutv etc like Rio's tour diary, even if they seem to take the mick out of him he seems to be well liked by the players.

One thing for Nani that always frustrates me as it looks negative is his goal celebrations. The jump thing is cool but his other celebrations are so individualistic, I think if people saw him celebrating with the other players it'd help his image a bit because off the pitch whenever you see stuff on mutv etc like Rio's tour diary, even if they seem to take the mick out of him he seems to be well liked by the players.

Really? A lot of players do that though, last night he ran over to the crowd (I think?). Pretty much what Hernandez did on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.