Gaming Gran Turismo 5

Some HD quality images. Photomode, obviously.

cQ2TM.png

49Hap.png

oNiDZ.png

RXRj1.png

Here are the large versions if anyone wants a wallpaper or something:

http://www.gran-turismo.com/common/data2/press/20101028/X1_Prototype.zip

What sort of tyres would you have to get on that thing for them not to fall apart after half a lap?

This car will be used as their next excuse to postpone the game, they'll set a new release date for February finally and then two weeks before it's out they'll say that they want to make a Red Bull car go slightly faster so they're going to create an entirely new game which will be released in 2014.

This car will be used as their next excuse to postpone the game, they'll set a new release date for February finally and then two weeks before it's out they'll say that they want to make a Red Bull car go slightly faster so they're going to create an entirely new game which will be released in 2014.

:lol:

Hyperbole or serious?

Cars
Of the roughly 1000 cars in GT5, about 800 are standard models. Mostly brought over from GTPSP, they're shiny, HD and still more detailed than any vehicle in Prologue. These vehicles only suffer scrapes and scratches, but it's crash consequences that matter. A trip to the gravel trap - or worse, the metal railings - in any car could prove race ending. Think broken gearboxes, brake failures and even engine stalls. All cars regardless of type have fully functioning front reverse lights, horns and get dirty during races.

Dynamic Weather/Time
Snow is similarly impressive, hitting the windscreen in thick clumps before melting into water and being wiped from view. Flakes start to clump in thick grass, tree branches and tracksides before slowly setting onto the track, one lap at a time. It's not just how stunning the weather effects look, though, but their unpredictability which most impresses. Weather even alters the temperature, air pressure and humidity on the track. Forecasts are available for each race, but in a cruelly realistic twist, aren't always accurate. During long races, clouds move across the sky, darkening the track and forcing a constant re-assessment of your race strategy. Failure to read the changing conditions could mean the difference between victory and crashing out.

Daylight alters during longer races, too. Night slowly sets in, reducing visibility and necessitating the use of hi-beam headlights over normal ones. In a 24 hour race, the sky's hue changes slowly fades to black and back without any animations. Stunning. In keeping with the hyper-realism, Polyphony have even included 'time-syncing' on real-life circuits. This allows you to match the time of day in-game to that of the real track - meaning if it's night time in Monza, you'll have to race in the dark. Yet another unnecessary detail that only GT offers..

Soundtrack
Just like the PSP version, you'll get the chance to play whatever music you have on your hard drive, so you're only limited by the size of your disk and the range of your MP3 collection.

Customization
You can tell when you're tailing a car with a racing exhaust rather that its standard factory parts, because it looks bigger and sounds louder than normal. You can tune electric cars. Tuning menus are more interactive and visual that before, too, with a much slicker user interface in the garage - though there's no livery editor this time.

Rally
Each race in the rally career is run on a randomly-generated point-to-point course with the aim, like in real rallying, being to beat your competitors times rather than race them head to head. Every rally is also affected by GT5's stunning weather engine, too. There's even a co-driver calling out each corners severity and suggested approach.

Nascar
NASCAR in GT only comprises a few 'official' tracks - including Daytona and Indianapolis - and roughly ten real drivers. The license will also play to the real sport's rules, such as yellow flags and pitting. The NASCARs are also the only vehicles which have bonnets break open and rear windows shatter.

Excerpts from Interview with Kaz

Dirt Track on the online mode, you can drive with many more cars that way. And the Rally mode is different again; each car is on a time trial, staggered by 10 seconds.

Wet-weather pit strategy can make or break your race. You will have to make the right decisions at the right time, and learn to be fast in both wet and dry conditions. This, with 16- player, private online race events, is going to be unlike anything we've seen before.

picture3hz.png

NEW INFO: Track Time-Syncing, Randomly Generated Rally Career, Custom Soundtrack... - GTP Forums

Bring it on, and stick a banana up Sarni's arse!

Some numbers, from Red Bull...

It’s been a while since fans (ie the things that blow air, not enthusiasts) were used at the top level of motorsport to aid aerodynamics – 1970s ‘fan cars’ are legend in F1 history – but the one on the X1 creates up to 9,800N (that’s Newtons, which measure weight compared to gravity, not mass), which is equal to 1.63G. It’s the wings that really create the downforce, though, thanks to the ‘Venturi effect’. At 100kph (virtually a standstill for a supercar), it’s barely even having an effect at 0.17G. But by the time you get up to 400kph, it’s creating 2.78G and making the X1 stick like a limpet to the road surface.

Despite stopping quite a lot of tarmac from being seen at any one time, the X1’s racing bodywork is as light as a feather compared to a beefy grand tourer’s. A Veyron weighs a whopping 1,888kg, but an unladen X1 computes to just 545kg. Even its gross weight (ie with fuel etc added) only makes it 615kg. That’s actually about as much as the original Mini, which weighed in at 617kg. A Mini, as its name suggests, is quite a lot smaller (the original one from back in the 1950s anyway). Mind you, everything is comparative, and 600kg is a lot in some contexts… Lateral and longtitudinal G-forces (ie when cornering and going straight) at 300kph are 8.25G. Mark Webber has recently revealed that he must only weigh 75kg – no mean feat for a six-foot guy – effectively the same as his shorter F1 counterparts. Even being as svelte as this doesn’t stop G-forces making you weigh more than eight times as much, though – 8.25G = 618.75kg for your average racing driver. That’s about the same as a fully-grown polar bear – or a 1959 Mini, of course!

Lucky Numbers: X1, star of GT5 :: Sports Articles :: Red Bull

Yet another reason to delay it really. Now they can basically tell everyone that they're not going to release it until weather's good enough and that they've received forecasts that tell them that the weather is not going to be good enough for a while, until 2014 obviously.

I think this game could be a strong competition for Forza Motorsport 7 though.

They simply take Newey's maths and run it through their physics simulation and see what they get. All cars nowadays are done like this. I suppose that it in the end must have hit close to what Newey predicted when he designed the thing. I doubt that he would, or that Red Bull would allow him, to associate himself/themselves with this if it was pie in the sky.

I guess wheels will be changed by swapping the pixels that form them into pieces of pixels that form a new pair of wheels, in a way that may not even be entirely possible to replicate in real world.

Well, that's the bit I don't get. The front wheels are clearly changeable, but the rears I don't see how it's done. Maybe it doesn't matter if you have a 30 second pit stop though, as the thing goes so fast. But what do I know?

I'm going to enjoy crashing that thing into walls and imagining Newey weeping as he watches it burn.

Christ I hate Red Bull. You've got to give them one thing, though - like Apple, they know how to market.

I probably won't ever buy that car in the game anyway, it'll likely cost a few million that I won't ever earn.

I probably won't ever buy that car in the game anyway, it'll likely cost a few million that I won't ever earn.

It'll more then likely be a prize car for some race. I think the only car I ever purchased over a million in GT would be the Bentley speed 8. The Audi R8's, 787B, R92CP, and Toyota, GT1/Minolta's i've always won. Hell of alot of cars on that $750,000 bracket 'rally cars, GT cars etc' though.

I guess the best thing I've found with GT5 prologue is to not just go straight in an add every possible modification I can find. I've learnt to enjoy each car for what they are.

I remember how I bought a Corvette in the Prologue, and then worked hard to swap it for Audi R8 which turned out to be a load of trash. I still consider Corvette my best car yet in that game.

Meh, I had so many cars in prologue, I bought the F1 car too. I held out for ages before buying the Ford GT concept - it looked AMAZING but turned out to be a lump of turd. My favourite was probably the old Ferrari F50, such a little minx.

It's so fast it looks like its in fast forward in the replay at the end.

I remember how I bought a Mini Cooper as my first car in the Prologue, and ended up buying the exact same car in real world some months later. I'm still awaiting the times when I'll be able to do a similar thing with the last car I bought in the game.

Is there a car list to be found anywhere for this game? I wonder if they put some new Mini models in there, I'm guessing there won't be a Crossover there but they could do with some faster model of Mini. I think they only had Cooper in there, Cooper S would be much faster.

There is a nothing of a nothing. All we know is that every car that appeared in GT PSP is in, as is every car that has either appeared in Prologue or trailers as premiums, which is around 160 or so more. So, that's around 960 or so. Oh, and the X1.

There is a nothing of a nothing. All we know is that every car that appeared in GT PSP is in, as is every car that has either appeared in Prologue or trailers as premiums, which is around 160 or so more. So, that's around 960 or so. Oh, and the X1.

But there are surely cars that have been in both PSP game and the Prologue? Probably only a dozen of cars appeared in Prologue but weren't in the PSP game. I've been hearing about 950 cars total which is probably about right and an insane number.

All the Prologue cars are premiums though, in that they have been remodelled. Of course there is overlap. The official figure that they have always touted is 1000+ of which 250+ I believe are premium models.

With this PS3 jailbreak thing some people have, someone has obviously been able to scan the code of GT5 Prologue, and found at these text hooks, so this stuff has been planned to be in since 2006 at least.

Courses:

20r60r
akasaka
apricot
assisi
autumn
capri
daytona
daytona_road
deepforest
eiger_short
fisco
fisco_old
fisco_slalom
grandcanyon
grandvalley
grandvalley_east
highspeedring
hongkong
icerace
infineon
infineon_nascar
kashiwa
laguna
lasvegas
london
midfield
mini
montecarlo
motegi
motegi_east
motegi_west
new_fisco
newyork
nurburgring
nursnow
oval
paris_rally
paris_tarmac
route5
sarthe
sarthe24
sarthe_old
seattle
seoul
smtsouth
suzuka
suzuka_east
suzuka_west
tahiti_maze
testcourse
trialmt
tsukuba
valencia
yosemite
yosemite_dirt
yosemite_dirt_mini
yosemite_dirt_short

Cars:
ac
acura
alfaromeo
alpine
amemiya
amuse
artmorrison
asl
astonmartin
au_ford
audi
autobianchi
autounion
bentley
blitz
bmw
bugatti
buick
cadillac
callaway
caterham
chaparral
chevrolet
chrysler
citroen
cizeta
daihatsu
dmc
dodge
dome
eagle
ferrari
fiat
ford
fpv
gillet
ginetta
hks
holden
hommell
honda
hpa
hyundai
infiniti
isuzu
jaguar
jayleno
jenson
lamborghini
lancia
landrover
lexus
lister
lotus
marcos
mazda
mercedes
mercury
mg_mini
mines
mini
mitsubishi
mugen
nike
nismo
nissan
opel
opera
pagani
panoz
pescarolo
peugeot
plymouth
polyphony
pontiac
proto
renault
renaultsport
ruf
saleen
scion
seat
shelby
spoon
spyker
subaru
suzuki
tickford
tommykaira
toms
toyota
toyotamodellista
trd
trial
triumph
7honda
aprilia
bmw
buell
ducati
honda
kawasaki
moriwaki
moriwaki_motul
mvagusta
suzuki
trickstar
triumph
yamaha
yoshimura
yoshimura_suzuki
ysp_presto
tvr
vauxhall
vemac
volkswagon
volvo

Nissan.March.12SR.'07
Mazda.Roadster.RS.'07
Honda.Civic.Type.R.'08
Nissan.Fairlady.Z.'08
Dome.S102.'08

Ferrari.599.'06
Ferrari.F40.'92
Ferrari.512BB.'76
Ferrari.F2007
Ferrari.California
Ferrari.F430.'06
Ferrari.F1.RAIKKONEN
Ferrari.F1.MASSA
Ferrari.Enzo.'02

NASCAR.DEMO.Type A
NASCAR.DEMO.Type B
NASCAR.DEMO.Type C
NASCAR.DEMO.Type D

Subaru.IMPREZA.WRC.2008

At the end of the manufacturers list, you'll notice bikes.

Amazon email

The release date for the video game listed below has been changed by the publisher, and we want to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

"Gran Turismo 5"
Release date: December 31 2010
Estimated arrival date: December 31 2010

Its a place holder date. Why would they wait until after Christmas if the game is going to be finished and ready to stock by the end of this week? It fecking annoys me when game shops release these dates without actually telling gamers what the hell they are. The other common one is the first of each month.

"The discs are being stamped as we speak." - Kazunori Yamauchi

Not long now.